Post here your Elvis' pictures

Loving You Elvis' Parents visit date

Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:50 pm

Paramount Studios,February 1957

I already have the first two images included in this topic 'Loving You' viewtopic.php?f=8&t=46708

Vernon apparently asked the officer at the Paramount gate,'Howdy,officer,can you tell me how to get into this place? We've got a boy working here".Vernon was wearing a light-colored suit,round-brimmed,pushed back hat,and a too-short tie bunched up by an ornamental tie clip,while Gladys wore a simple pinned back hat and an elegant new jacket over a dark dress.

Gladys and Vernon Presley arrived in Hollywood at the beginning of February along with their friends the Nicholses.

Here is a new image for me from the same time frame from e-bay - Anyone have improved quality and a date? (All I have is 'About three weeks after the start of filming')

Also another new image from Loving You (below)

Thanks Davide
Last edited by davide on Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Loving You Elvis' Parents visit date

Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:52 pm

I like the new image of Elvis playing football, thanks davide.

Vernon and Gladys left Memphis on the evening of February 12 for the 2-day train-ride to Los Angeles which means they arrived sometime in the evening of February 14.
A newspaper clipping from the February 25 issue of the Memphis Press Scimitar tells about Elvis' parents being in a scene for the movie so the above photos would be from somewhere between February 15 and 24.
My guess would be closer to February 15 than to the 24th but I have no proof.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:18 am

Thanks Brian for the info regarding the dates,it's great to have this at last. I agree with you,that after a goodnight's sleep from the long train journey,breakfast at the hotel,the party would have made their way over to the studio as soon as possible. I could imagine Elvis wanting to meet with his parents as soon as possible and this could well be the 15th Feb,maybe around lunchtime?

With thanks Davide

Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:10 pm

The last photo is new to me, thanks for posting.

davide wrote:Gladys and Vernon Presley arrived in Hollywood at the beginning of February along with their friends the Nicholses.

a few observations

° Carl and Willy Nichols also appeared as extra´s in the movie and can be seen sitting next
to Vernon (they also visited the Flaming Star set)
° In the `Got A Lot of living to do´ scene (Feb 22) Vernon wore the exact same suit and tie as
in the photo as posted above
° The photo seems to be taken at the same day as the publicity shot as can be seen on the
cover of the book `Inside Loving You`.

I agree that the Presley´s arrived in LA in the evening of Feb 14th. Since Elvis Day by Day
reported they boarded a 7.30 pm train, this was most likely the Frisco train to Kansas City,
wich departed Union Station in Memphis at 7.30 pm and arrived in Kansas City at 07.30 am
next morning. From here, I think the quickest connection to LA was to board the Rock Island -
Southern Pacific wich would arrive in LA the next day (Feb 14) at around 6 pm.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:10 am

Thanks for the further info regarding Elvis parents departure for Hollywood. I have since come across the image below,which I'm going to date as 'Vernon and Gladys Presley depart Union station,Memphis,12th February 1957. There arn't many occasions that I can think of when Elvis' parents would have been photographed boarding a train. Vernon seems to be wearing the same,(or very similar) hat and suit as the Hollywood shots featured in the first post,and Gladys looks to be wearing the same clothes with a different coat. It also has the look of 'Departure' rather 'Arrival',but then again, I could be wrong on all counts!

Davide

Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:23 pm

No davide, you're not wrong.
The photo IS from February 12, 1957. It was in the local newspaper and I have the article at home.

I might even have a photo that shows more. Will check when I get back from work.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:48 pm

Thanks for the confirmation Brian,It's great when these things piece together.

I'm not sure if the newspaper you have mentions the following,or for that matter if it contains any further info regarding Gladys Presley visit to the hospital.

Memphis Press-Scimitar,dated January 29th 1957.
Apparently Vernon and Gladys trip to Hollywood was delayed somewhat, by the fact the Gladys checked into Memphis' Baptist Hospital for a series of tests.
"I was suffering some nausea and pain in my left shoulder" but to her relief after the tests had been completed " There is no surgery in sight"

Taken from 'Last Train To Memphis The Rise of Elvis Presley' by Peter Guralnick

Thanks Davide

On the set of 'Loving You' production,Paramount Studios with Colonel Parker
From Elvis Official Collector's edition

Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:07 pm

Yes davide, Gladys was in hospital for a few checkups as the following shows:

Mr. and Mrs. Vernon Presley are on their way to California today to join their famous son, Elvis, whos' making his second movie in Hollywood.
The photo at left shows the couple as they boarded a train last night at Central Station.
While they're away, landscaping will continue at the Presley home on Audubon Drive, shown below, the improvement of which has received their constant attention since Elvis bought it some time ago. When they return, Mr. Presley said, he's going to finish the swimming pool in back and build a new patio.
This will be the Presleys' first trip to California. Elvis has already rented a home for them, and they will be gone about a month. Elvis' parents originally planned to leave earlier this month but her doctor adviced Mrs. Presley to enter a hospital for a few days for a checkup. She reports she feels fine now

570212-Memphis-Union Station-01-bripet56.jpg

For information I can tell you that Gladys was admitted to Baptist Hospital at 4 p.m. on January 27

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:31 pm

Thanks for the full frame image Brian

I now have the full frame version of the image below which can be found in the 'Loving You' topic,still no further forward with the positive identification of the piano player unfortunately. I apologise for my slight obsession with finding full frame/cropped images,but to me, sometimes half an image tells half the story.

Hoyt Hawkins sat on piano stool with unknown at Piano(hidden behind Bill Black) Bill Black,Elvis,Scotty Moore and Charles O'Curran

Davide

Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:13 pm

davide wrote:Hoyt Hawkins sat on piano stool with unknown at Piano(hidden behind Bill Black) Bill Black,Elvis,Scotty Moore and Charles O'Curran

Hoyt Hawkins, Dudley Brooks & Gordon Stoker all played some piano at the sessions.

By a process of elimination, surely it must be Gordon at the keys in the photo ?

Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:33 pm

ColinB wrote:
davide wrote:Hoyt Hawkins sat on piano stool with unknown at Piano(hidden behind Bill Black) Bill Black,Elvis,Scotty Moore and Charles O'Curran

Hoyt Hawkins, Dudley Brooks & Gordon Stoker all played some piano at the sessions.

By a process of elimination, surely it must be Gordon at the keys in the photo ?

I agree with you totally,It must be Gordon Stoker,but I wouldn't be able to say 100% that's him without some other kind of evidence.

Davide

Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:46 am

NOTE: post edited for NEW theory!

davide wrote:I agree with you totally, It must be Gordon Stoker, but I wouldn't be able to say 100% that's him without some other kind of evidence.

It seems likely the person on the piano bench is Paramount conductor Walter Scharf.

Hoyt Hawkins, Elvis, Walter Scharf
Radio Recorders, January 19, 1957

Photos show him and arranger Charlie O'Curran at the West Hollywood studio conferring with Elvis. On 1-21 (Monday) Elvis would be doing his remake of the movie version of "Mean Woman Blues" at Paramount. This might be a reason we see them working closely with Elvis, but only as a rehearsal.

Walter Scharf, Elvis, Charlie O'Curran
Possibly rehearsing "Mean Woman Blues"
Radio Recorders, Jan 19, 1957

From UPI blurb: "Hollywood Harmony" - Rock 'n' roll idol Elvis Presley (center) joins in for a bit of Hollywood harmony with composer-conductor Walter Scharf (left) and dance director Charles O'Curran (right) in Hollywood. The impromptu concert took place at a pre-recording session of the Hal Wallis production, "Loving You," in which Elvis stars with Lizabeth Scott and Wendell Corey. (United Press Photo 2/8/57)

Scharf was in charge of music for the "Loving You" film soundtrack, and would do the same a year later for Paramount's "King Creole."

Hawkins, Scharf (partially hidden), Black, Elvis, Moore, O'Curran

It would make sense that we see Elvis and crew rehearsing "Mean Woman Blues," with O'Curran reviewing how he wants Elvis to move and sing, while Scharf is at the piano. This would be the time to take pictures.

Hawkins, Scharf (hidden), Black, EP, Moore, O'Curran

After rehearsals, pianist Dudley Brooks takes over for work on the actual RCA session at hand. Bill Avery's photo task for Paramount is done, and he soon leaves, along with Scharf and O'Curran.

Dudley Brooks, Elvis
Possibly discussing "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You"
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:10 pm

Let me know what you think.

Nice theory,but I have one problem with the date of 14th Feb 1957,as seen below,is this image where Hilmer J "Tiny" Timbrell on guitar can be seen .Tiny was only recorded at being at one Radio Recorders session at this time,and as Dudley Brooks is wearing different clothes to the other images I conclude that they arn't from February 14th 1957. Radio Recorders,Hollywood?

Davide

Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:06 pm

davide wrote:Nice theory,but I have one problem with the date of 14th Feb 1957,as seen below, is this image where Hilmer J "Tiny" Timbrell on guitar can be seen .Tiny was only recorded at being at one Radio Recorders session at this time, and as Dudley Brooks is wearing different clothes to the other images I conclude that they aren't from February 14th 1957. Radio Recorders,Hollywood?

It's from Radio Recorders. Despite what we know, perhaps that shot was snapped at one of the two Jan sessions there, Jan 12 or Jan 19. The one on the 12th included a bunch songs from "Loving You," so that's my guess.

As noted, Walter Scharf is listed as producer on Feb 14, and no other Radio Recorders session. That we see him working on a vocal with Presley and O'Curran is also a big clue as to the song and date. Scharf handled the orchestral overdubs on the title track, and the master vocal was cut on Feb 14.

Nice theory indeed!

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:21 am

To drjohncarpenter

Thank's for your contribution in getting as much info out of the audio/image's that we have for these sessions,much appreciated. The goods news is that I have found confirmation of a date for the two image's below,and the other's that belong with it in the same time frame as January 15th 1957. I did estimate the date in the previous 'Loving You' thread.
Producer Hal Wallis,Elvis,unknown,Director Hal Kanter and stood Walter Scharf

Producer Hal Wallis follows Elvis out of the Paramount Scoring stage on the 15th January 1957.

This also means that this was the day that Elvis recorded the following,looking at the time that the sessions took place,the photo's would be either between 12.30pm and 1.30pm lunch break or 3.30pm onwards (The shadows/light might give a clue?)

Paramount Soundstage - Hollywood, California

Soundtrack Session for "Loving You"
Paramount Producer : Walter Sharf
Engineer : Phil Wisdom

(10.00am - 12.20pm / 1.30pm - 3.30pm)

Musicians: Backup Vocals:

Guitar : Scotty Moore The Jordanaires : Gordon Stoker; Neal Matthews; Hoyt Hawkins; Hugh Jarrett
Guitar : Hilmer J "Tiny" Timbrell
Bass : Bill Black
Drums : D.J. Fontana
Piano : Gordon Stoker
Piano : Dudley Brooks
Piano : Hoyt Hawkins

Party (Movie Version)
Lonesome Cowboy

Davide

Recording info from deleted see guideline #8

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:26 pm

Very interesting discussion here Doc and davide.

I only have the JAT Elvis Sessions that came out in 1993 so I don't know if there has been any changes in the information in later editions or other session-books but I read the information on the Loving You sessions as if Hilmer Timbrell played Rhythm guitar on the sessions that took place on Jan 15-18 at Paramount Scoring stage as well as Jan 21, 22 and Feb 14 at Radio Recorders.

I also interprete the info as if Walter Scharf was musical conductor on all above dates as he is listed as such under the main information on the Loving You sessions and not just for one specific date.

As I mentioned above my info is from the first JAT sessions book and new information might have come forth.

davide, what kind of confirmation do you have for the two photos being from January 15? I agree that they are from Jan 15-18 but I haven't been able to pinpoint a specific date. Would love to nail this one as it would narrow down the dates for photos from the other Paramount sessions.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:27 pm

To Brian

The source for the date

Date:1957/01/15
Source:Elvis In Munich

Info:Taken from the original negative this photo shows Hal Wallis, Elvis, Hal Kanter and a few other people in what looks like a recording studio, probably the Paramount Scoring Stage. The photo was taken on January 15, 1957.

This picture is from the private collection of Andreas Roth, author of the the book "Elvis In Munich"

Davide

Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:57 am

davide wrote:The source for the date
This picture is from the private collection of Andreas Roth, author of the the book "Elvis In Munich"

Andreas did a great job, one of the books I can recommend, however some info was not correct.
Therefor I hope there are also other sources who can confirm the date

Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:49 am

E-Cat wrote:
davide wrote:The source for the date

Andreas did a great job, one of the books I can recommend, however some info was not correct.
Therefor I hope there are also other sources who can confirm the date

I agree,it would be great to get another piece of evidence to confirm the date.

On a related note,I have noticed this paperwork(from the flashbook ftd book) Does anyone know why Dudley Brooks name is crossed out on the 15th/16th/17th/18th of January 1957 ? is this a Union reference?

With thanks Davide

Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:00 am

davide wrote:Does anyone know why Dudley Brooks name is crossed out on the 15th/16th/17th/18th of January 1957 ?

Brooks is the only name with "Included on weekly" on the same line for each day -- which implies placing his name in this sheet was redundant, and thus could be crossed out.

As for my theory about the photos with Scharf and O'Curran, further study has allowed for a better theory on the date and I have edited my post. For example:

570119_w Dudley Brooks_Radio Recorders.JPG
Dudley Brooks, Elvis
Rehearsing "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You"
RCA Session, Radio Recorders, West Hollywood, CA
Saturday, January 19, 1957

Photo: Bill Avery

Bill Avery's photos may well be from 1-19-1957 at Radio Recorders:

- Elvis is seen slapping the back of his acoustic guitar, which he did for "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You"

- A photo of Scharf, O'Curran and Elvis from this session was released by UPI NY on 2-08-1957 ("Hollywood Harmony"), see: http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=46708#p682182

- An acetate envelope is seen behind Elvis in the above photo, it might contain a demo of "Is It So Strange" or a revamp of "Mean Woman Blues"

- The movie version of "Mean Woman Blues" was to be re-done at the Paramount Scoring Stage on 1-21 (Monday), which might explain why Scharf and O'Curran were there, to rehearse the new arrangement

Oh, and I agree that the ones at Radio Recorders with "Tiny" Timbrell must all be from the 2-14-1957 session.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:16 am

davide -- never heard back from you on my comments above!