Post here your Elvis' pictures

In Los Angeles sometime in late 1970

Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:14 am

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... 72out.html - In Los Angeles sometime in late 1970

One set of pix I would like to see corrected are two pix that have been associated with another set that was taken in Nashville on May 21, 1971.
However, the 2 pix set above I do know about. They were taken by Cheryl Shapiro in Los Angeles in late 1970.

Many have simply, and understandably, thought that they are part of the Nashville set--but they are not. And ordinarly these date issues come down to a "he said, she said" kind of thing--except, and
rather extrordinarly, the proof is actually in the pictures. Cheryl traded these pix with my Mom in early 1971 and she only wrote on the back "At R.C.A. late 1970". I guessed at the time
that they were probably from Nov 70 but that was a guess based on other pix we had and on Elvis' whereabouts at the time. They are most likely from Nov or Dec of 1970. It was not uncommon for fans to not date their pix. Mom was forever getting Vegas pix from people that merely said Feb or Aug with no date and when I would press for the date the fans just said they didn't remember. I couldn't believe it, but to a lot of people the date just didn't really matter! Cheryl only knew she took these photos in late 1970.

Here is how you can tell they were taken in Los Angeles and not Nashville. The building across the street from Elvis is "Daily Variety" and that is a Hollywood trade paper that was only printed in Los Angeles. Wikipedia has a nice article on Variety and confirms that the "Daily" version was only printed in LA. At the time Daily Variety's building was across the street from RCA. I think Elvis was only there on business that day. I do not think he was recording or rehearsing.

Another interesting point about the two sets is that in the Nashville pix Elvis' suit appears to be blue, while in the LA pix his suit appears to be black or dark brown. As you know, Elvis had a habit that when he liked an outfit he would buy it in several colors. So I don't think he is even wearing the same outfit in these two sets!

Thanks,
Elaine Christan
Virginia Coons' daughter
See the Nashville set here - http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... dio71.html

Re: In Los Angeles sometime in late 1970

Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:42 am

:smt023 Thank you sooooo much for the update, Paul! Cheers!

Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:27 am

Presley was photographed standing on the corner of Sunset Blvd and Ivar Avenue. If I am mistaken then
please tell me! Thankyou Paul, for my inspiration of at least trying to establish Presley's movements!

ImageImage

Thankyou goes to Doc for his most helpful correction!
Last edited by thefunkyangel on Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:32 am

thefunkyangel wrote:Presley was photographed standing on the corner of Sunset Blvd and Ivar Avenue. If I am mistaken then please tell me!

You're close. It's just down the block.

Paul -

Having been to Los Angeles many times, that building looked familiar.

Using Google street view, it's clear that Elvis is getting into a car on Cole Place, just off of West Sunset Boulevard in Los Angeles:

1482 Cole Place by Sunset_Los Angeles.jpg
1482 Cole Place, Los Angeles, CA

The building behind him is 6430 Sunset -- now known as the CNN Building.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:39 am

Well done guys - thanks for the present street views 8)

Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:43 am

Thank you, DJC! Yeah I know, "it's what you do!" :lol: :smt023

Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:48 am

Amoeba Music on Sunset is one of the greatest record stores in the world.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:13 am

Odd, I wonder the reason he's on the corner there. I know it's close to the 6363 building, but it's down the road a way.

I love AR btw, I've found many hard to find DVD's, and CD's in there! Great place to search for hard to find gems!

Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:36 pm

Additional sleuthing finds these candids are not only from Los Angeles, but also date to spring 1971, probably late April - May 1971.

Sorry, Elaine Christan.

710500_1482 Cole_Los Angeles_01.JPG

710500_1482 Cole_Los Angeles_02.JPG

1482 Cole Place by Sunset_Los Angeles.jpg

A big clue is the billboard ad behind Elvis:

710500_Sunset Blvd billboard sign clue.jpg
Sunset Boulevard billboard (composite from Elvis candid)
Note tag: "Ford's wallet watchers"

Although the Pinto went on the market in September 1970, Ford did not begin pushing the low pricing of the Pinto $1919 and Maverick $2175 until March 1971,

And the Maverick was new for 1971:

LIFE Mar 26 1971 p19.jpg
LIFE, March 26, 1971

bripet56 noted the huge gold necklace Elvis has on was not seen before the famous December 21, 1970 White House visit, and was worn through the spring of 1971.

egilj on another topic keenly observed Elvis did not have sideburns that short in late 1970, the bill for the jacket he has on from the IC Costume Company was dated May 17, 1971 (source: Elvis Fashion: From Memphis to Vegas, page 172-173). and he spent a lot of time in LA in April, May and June 1971.

Thus, may I suggest the topic title be updated to:
Elvis in Los Angeles, circa May 1971

Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:28 pm

October 1st '70 His appearance looked similiar!

Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:23 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
paulsweeney wrote:Well done guys - thanks for the present street views 8)

Hi Paul -

When are you updating the page with my location find? The dating may be narrowed down a bit by clues in the photos.

The Ford Pinto went on the market in Sep 1970 (see billboard). The sideburns he wears do not match what we see on the Nov 1970 tour, and he seems thinner than in Dec 1970. Elvis was not an early morning person, yet it's still pretty light out, so this may further exclude Dec.

Elvis was known to be in LA:
Oct 9 - buys 1971 Stutz
Oct 18-21 - buys first TCB pendants

May I suggest:

Elvis on 1482 Cole Place near W. Sunset, in Los Angeles, CA, perhaps mid-October 1970

Looks like the price of a new Pinto was $1919?

No extra charge for the ensuing gas tank explosion.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:06 pm

elvisjock wrote:Looks like the price of a new Pinto was $1919?

Yes.

What a slammin' deal!

Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:44 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisjock wrote:Looks like the price of a new Pinto was $1919?

Yes.

What a slammin' deal!

KaPLOW!

Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:59 pm

Nice find on the ad, but don't they also start advertising the newest cars a long time before, and after they hit the market? Maybe (this one could be tough) some reaseach on advertising for the Pinto can be done. Launch dates of ad campaigns etc.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:26 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
thefunkyangel wrote:Presley was photographed standing on the corner of Sunset Blvd and Ivar Avenue. If I am mistaken then please tell me!

Paul -

Using Google street view, it's clear that Elvis is getting into a car on Cole Place!

cool! Cole Place is the street where I always park my car whenever I go to Amoeba!

Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:39 am

IMETJB wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Paul -

Using Google street view, it's clear that Elvis is getting into a car on Cole Place!

cool! Cole Place is the street where I always park my car whenever I go to Amoeba!

Is it freaky now knowing you've walked the same public pavement as The King?

Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:40 am

Yeah, it's hard to get in there. That sorry excuse they have for a parking lot is a laugh. I usually park at the fast food dump across the street, get something to drink, and walk over. Never had a problem doing it that way.

Maybe that's why Elvis was photographed there. He was sneaking a parking spot across the street, and running into the record store to get the latest top 40....or not :lol:

Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:40 am

Interesting thread... Good to have you Elvis sleuths walking the beat!

I recently read an provocative defense of the lowly , late, lamented Pinto. ::rocks

In effect: She was framed!

Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:45 am

Jim Dandy wrote:
IMETJB wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Paul -

Is it freaky now knowing you've walked the same public pavement as The King?

I believe it will change my life 8)

RCsun wrote:Yeah, it's hard to get in there. That sorry excuse they have for a parking lot is a laugh. I usually park at the fast food dump across the street, get something to drink, and walk over. Never had a problem doing it that way.

Maybe that's why Elvis was photographed there. He was sneaking a parking spot across the street, and running into the record store to get the latest top 40....or not :lol:

Ah, the Jack In The Box...always interesting characters in there.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:51 am

That's right, it's been a while since I've gotten out to West Hollywood. I kept thinking it was Carl's Jr, but it felt wrong. The In-n-Out is further down. I love Suset Blvd!

I still wonder what the hell he was doing on that corner, and who, with a camera in hand, knew. Interesting. A nothing event obviously, but interesting to me!

Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:03 am

RCsun wrote:I still wonder what the hell he was doing on that corner, and who, with a camera in hand, knew. Interesting. A nothing event obviously, but interesting to me!

Oh yeah me too. Grabbing a bite at the nearby cafes...or visiiting the shops? Doc, above, alludes to possible reasons why he was in town...

Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:22 am

I can see why he's in town, just now why he's -apparently- out of a car, and on the corner. Maybe he saw a shop he liked, and they stopped.

(Before the attacks come, there are other well known photos of him in a car sticking out the roof, so I say apparently because the shot's are too close to tell)

Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:11 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
paulsweeney wrote:Well done guys - thanks for the present street views 8)

Hi Paul -

When are you updating the page with my location find? The dating may be narrowed down a bit by clues in the photos.

The Ford Pinto went on the market in Sep 1970 (see billboard). The sideburns he wears do not match what we see on the Nov 1970 tour, and he seems thinner than in Dec 1970. Elvis was not an early morning person, yet it's still pretty light out, so this may further exclude Dec.

Elvis was known to be in LA:
Oct 9 - buys 1971 Stutz
Oct 18-21 - buys first TCB pendants

May I suggest:

Elvis on 1482 Cole Place near W. Sunset, in Los Angeles, CA, perhaps mid-October 1970

Sorry, been busy with work and life, but yes, I'll update the page - thanks again Doc 8)

Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:13 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Interesting thread... Good to have you Elvis sleuths walking the beat!

In the DOC we trust.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:54 pm

Anybody know when Elvis got that necklace??
First time I can find it on photos is from December 21, 1970 when Elvis visited Nixon and then he wore it through the spring of 1971.

Too bad we can't see which rings he wore as they would be another significant clue.

The Ford Pinto billboard would probably be up there for a lenghty period and I can't see why the light would exclude December.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk