Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: January 28, 1956 --> The Time Has Come!

Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:52 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:By police footage, I take it you mean the footage I've included on this page?

http://scottymoore.net/louisville56.html


James, thanks for your input. On your excellent Louisville page you write:

"The police ultimately had portions of the matinee show at the Armory filmed ..."

What is your source on this?


Just the one I listed (in this thread from KET) and the common belief. I'll be glad to hear if it resolves.
I don't remember if Lee Cotton wrote about it either, I'll have to check.

Re: January 28, 1956 --> The Time Has Come!

Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:59 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:Just the one I listed (in this thread from KET) and the common belief. I'll be glad to hear if it resolves

Thanks -- I did not see any source on the Louisville page.

Unfortunately, an uncredited sentence on the KET web site is hardly proof that the film was taken by the police.

---

Back on topic --->

Anyone have any leads on the 1956 Presley kinescope archives? I wish General Sarnoff would chime in!

Re: January 28, 1956 --> The Time Has Come!

Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:09 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:Just the one I listed (in this thread from KET) and the common belief. I'll be glad to hear if it resolves

Thanks -- I did not see any source on the Louisville page.

Unfortunately, an uncredited sentence on the KET web site is hardly proof that the film was taken by the police.

---

Back on topic --->

Anyone have any leads on the 1956 Presley kinescope archives? I wish General Sarnoff would chime in!


I don't know what their source was but when they broadcast that segment using the bit from that show they also credited it onscreen as Louisville Police film. It's almost a two year old story for them but if they got the clip from an affiliate there may still be someone who knows or may have confirmed it. They may be in error but they likely took the steps neccessary to get a release just to cover their butts. It may not prove anything but for the moment its all we've got and more that suggests it as a police film than confirms it isn't. Has anyone contact info for Joe Tunzi who may know more?

I had checked with GS some time ago about the additional Dorsey show clips and he mentioned a roadblock but was hoping and planning on a resolve to eventually proceed. I don't doubt with varying ownerships in question its has to be a bit of a stumble but I'm equally sure its not a case of disinterest. We just have to wait I guess.

Re: January 28, 1956 --> The Time Has Come!

Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:29 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:I had checked with GS some time ago about the additional Dorsey show clips and he mentioned a roadblock but was hoping and planning on a resolve to eventually proceed. I don't doubt with varying ownerships in question its has to be a bit of a stumble but I'm equally sure its not a case of disinterest. We just have to wait I guess.

Cool info.

Boy, how much longer must the fans wait? isn't 54 years Job-like patience?

Re: January 28, 1956 --> The Time Has Come!

Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:53 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ColinB wrote:I can't follow this at all.

Didn't you read Doc's post where he explained that there is no police-shot footage ?

Please stop trying to impress your pals elsewhere and derail this wonderful topic with crap like this.

I never said any such thing:

There's no known "police footage" out there -- it's all newsreel. The so-called 1957 "police footage" in 1981's "This Is Elvis" was a dramatic contrivance.


Well, I must apologise !

When you stated "There's no known 'police footage' out there -- it's all newsreel", I thought you meant there wasn't any footage shot by the police !

I wasn't trying to impress anybody, just trying to get things straight about the footage.................

Re: January 28, 1956 --> The Time Has Come!

Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:11 am

The Purple Gang wrote:
Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:I used a statement within a statement and was referring to Purple Gang's cock up.


smt171

Hi Swingin
I don’t think we’re talking about the same footage. It seems you’re referencing the stuff from 1957 ‘mocked-up’ and used in This Is Elvis whereas I’m only talking about genuine police-shot footage from Louisville 25 November 1956. Some of this Louisville film found its way into Elvis: The Great Performances, and not This Is Elvis as I mentioned above. Sorry for any confusion. The Louisville footage was acquired by the This Is Elvis director and writer Malcolm Leo although it didn’t make it into the final cut of his movie. In 1980, when This Is Elvis was being prepared, the negotiations between the city and Warner Bros for its possible inclusion in the documentary were reported in at least three local news broadcasts which is where the details concerning the finding of the film are to be found.

Sorry mate. You're right, I did think you were referring to the THIS IS ELVIS 57 mocked up footage.

Re: January 28, 1956 --> The Time Has Come!

Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:12 pm

Seven months later, and all we've gotten is a bastardized "Elvis On Tour."

Good times never seemed so bad...

Re: January 28, 1956 --> The Time Has Come!

Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:37 pm

Wishes do not always come true! We know! That's why we still keep dreaming and hoping!

Re: January 28, 1956 --> The Time Has Come!

Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:04 pm

It would be nice to have all the Dorsey Shows in DVD, remastered to great picture quality-just like they did with the Sullivan Shows. The Dorseys are Elvis' best TV performances. A man in the prime of his life ready to set the world on fire. Just love his rhythm guitar playing on "money Honey". Still got the old video cassette that Ger Rijff put together a few years ago of all the Dorsey Show.

Re: January 28, 1956 --> The Time Has Come!

Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:27 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:It would be nice to have all the Dorsey Shows in DVD, remastered to great picture quality-just like they did with the Sullivan Shows. The Dorseys are Elvis' best TV performances. A man in the prime of his life ready to set the world on fire. Just love his rhythm guitar playing on "money Honey". Still got the old video cassette that Ger Rijff put together a few years ago of all the Dorsey Show.


Yup. 57 years and counting now.

Re: January 28, 1956 --> The Time Has Come!

Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:58 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:It would be nice to have all the Dorsey Shows in DVD, remastered to great picture quality-just like they did with the Sullivan Shows. The Dorseys are Elvis' best TV performances. A man in the prime of his life ready to set the world on fire. Just love his rhythm guitar playing on "money Honey". Still got the old video cassette that Ger Rijff put together a few years ago of all the Dorsey Show.


Really?? Ya think?

I am becoming riveting with your posts.

Can't wait for the next one.

Re: January 28, 1956 --> The Time Has Come!

Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:47 am

Doc you have my full support on this project. This is wonderful footage that should be seen in context. Anything I can do let me know.

Re: January 28, 1956 --> The Time Has Come!

Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:42 am

ekenee wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:It would be nice to have all the Dorsey Shows in DVD, remastered to great picture quality-just like they did with the Sullivan Shows. The Dorseys are Elvis' best TV performances. A man in the prime of his life ready to set the world on fire. Just love his rhythm guitar playing on "money Honey". Still got the old video cassette that Ger Rijff put together a few years ago of all the Dorsey Show.


Really?? Ya think?

I am becoming riveting with your posts.

Can't wait for the next one.

Glad you like them.

Re: January 28, 1956 --> The Time Has Come!

Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:42 pm

I often wondered, if Elvis had thought of doing other songs for these TV shows then eventually dropped in favour of something else. It is odd that he didn't do "Heartbreak Hotel" on his first appearance..I wonder if "Mystery Train" or "I Forgot To Remember To Forget" were ever considerd....Sun 223, now reissued on the RCA label before "Heartbreak Hotel" was even released, was still riding high on the country charts at the time of his first TV appearance. Don't know if there is any evidence or paper work of suggested songs for these TV shows. Maybe the Doc can help?

Re: January 28, 1956 --> The Time Has Come!

Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:33 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:I often wondered, if Elvis had thought of doing other songs for these TV shows then eventually dropped in favour of something else. It is odd that he didn't do "Heartbreak Hotel" on his first appearance..I wonder if "Mystery Train" or "I Forgot To Remember To Forget" were ever considerd....Sun 223, now reissued on the RCA label before "Heartbreak Hotel" was even released, was still riding high on the country charts at the time of his first TV appearance. Don't know if there is any evidence or paper work of suggested songs for these TV shows. Maybe the Doc can help?


Yes and no.

Re: January 28, 1956 --> The Time Has Come!

Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:30 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:I often wondered, if Elvis had thought of doing other songs for these TV shows then eventually dropped in favour of something else. It is odd that he didn't do "Heartbreak Hotel" on his first appearance..I wonder if "Mystery Train" or "I Forgot To Remember To Forget" were ever considerd....Sun 223, now reissued on the RCA label before "Heartbreak Hotel" was even released, was still riding high on the country charts at the time of his first TV appearance. Don't know if there is any evidence or paper work of suggested songs for these TV shows. Maybe the Doc can help?


I recently posted this summary on another topic. It should provide some of the answers you seek.

drjohncarpenter wrote:The song selections are not odd at all.

It's clear they are statements -- and Elvis chooses them, not RCA. Now, perhaps this is a gambit on management's part to show they control the music ("Go ahead, son, you pick the songs"), not the record company, but the choices are personal, not commercial.

In his network TV debut Elvis runs down two of the R&B covers that had been knocking them dead in his concerts throughout the previous year. Neither is available for sale on the Sun or RCA labels.

A week later, he gives a nod to Sam Phillips and everyone at Sun by singing the rockin' B-side of Sun 217 and then rips into his favorite new artist, Little Richard, and a cover of Specialty 561, which itself is barely two months old. The Richard cover is not currently available for sale on the Sun or RCA labels -- that's three of four songs exclusive to the TV appearances, and nothing from RCA. Imagine how RCA executive Steve Sholes, the man who got Presley signed to the label, feels.

Finally, in his third "Stage Show" appearance Presley (maybe) pleases RCA with his Carl Perkins cover (note: a second title from Sun Records on national TV), which RCA will put on an EP in a month's time (along with "Tutti-Frutti"), and finally offers the first airing of his recently released RCA debut single.

After that, it was all calculated to maximize his new RCA recordings.


Elvis Presley, with Scotty, Bill and D.J.
"Stage Show" Appearances, CBS-TV

January 28, 1956
Shake, Rattle and Roll / Flip, Flop and Fly
I Got A Woman


February 4, 1956
Baby Let's Play House
Tutti-Frutti


February 11, 1956
Blue Suede Shoes
Heartbreak Hotel


February 18, 1956
Tutti-Frutti
I Was The One


March 17, 1956
Blue Suede Shoes
Heartbreak Hotel


March 24, 1956
Money Honey
Heartbreak Hotel


---

Maybe sometime in the next 50 years fans will finally get a high-quality, official DVD release of these stellar, game-changing appearances.

560300_Stage Show.JPG


http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73452#p1102158

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: January 28, 1956 --> The Time Has Come!

Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:12 pm

Regarding "Blue Suede Shoes" according to C. Perkins, Elvis promised him he wouldn't release his version on a single, but would release it on an EP. The reason being, so his version wouldn't collide with Carl's. Carl was in hospital watching TV when Elvis came on and sang his song...cool. Good post, Doc. Nice to know that it was Elvis who was in control if the music. Shame it didn't stay that way because it was his decision that paid off.

Re: January 28, 1956 --> The Time Has Come!

Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:29 pm

In addition to the previous suggestions regarding the reasons for the lack of "Heartbreak Hotel" on the first two Dorsey Shows, it's my understanding that Elvis was obliged to offer his song suggestions / set lists to the network prior to the recording of said single.

As such, he would have chosen dead-cert killers from his live repertoire, as noted above by John.

Re: January 28, 1956 --> The Time Has Come!

Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:13 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Regarding "Blue Suede Shoes" according to C. Perkins, Elvis promised him he wouldn't release his version on a single, but would release it on an EP. The reason being, so his version wouldn't collide with Carl's. Carl was in hospital watching TV when Elvis came on and sang his song...cool. Good post, Doc. Nice to know that it was Elvis who was in control if the music. Shame it didn't stay that way because it was his decision that paid off.


Actually, if Carl saw Elvis doing "Blue Suede Shoes" from his hospital bed, it would have been on Tuesday, April 3, 1956, when Elvis sang it in San Diego on the Milton Berle program. The near-fatal Perkins accident occurred early Thursday morning, March 22, 1956, in Dover, Delaware as Carl and his band were heading to New York.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Perkins#The_accident

Out of respect for the fact that Perkins had to cancel his March 24th appearance on "The Perry Como Show" that evening, Elvis chose "Money Honey" in place of "Blue Suede Shoes" for the first of his two songs on his final "Stage Show" visit.

Re: January 28, 1956 --> The Time Has Come!

Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:15 am

George Smith wrote:In addition to the previous suggestions regarding the reasons for the lack of "Heartbreak Hotel" on the first two Dorsey Shows, it's my understanding that Elvis was obliged to offer his song suggestions / set lists to the network prior to the recording of said single.

As such, he would have chosen dead-cert killers from his live repertoire, as noted above by John.


Great information, George Smith, and a very credible reason for holding back "Heartbreak Hotel" on January 28.

Thank you!

But the second week ...

Re: January 28, 1956 --> The Time Has Come!

Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:54 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
George Smith wrote:In addition to the previous suggestions regarding the reasons for the lack of "Heartbreak Hotel" on the first two Dorsey Shows, it's my understanding that Elvis was obliged to offer his song suggestions / set lists to the network prior to the recording of said single.

As such, he would have chosen dead-cert killers from his live repertoire, as noted above by John.


Great information, George Smith, and a very credible reason for holding back "Heartbreak Hotel" on January 28.

Thank you!

But the second week ...


Hmm, maybe he had to nominate advance songs for two weeks? Maybe...

Re: January 28, 1956 --> The Time Has Come!

Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:08 am

George Smith wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Great information, George Smith, and a very credible reason for holding back "Heartbreak Hotel" on January 28.

Thank you!

But the second week ...


Hmm, maybe he had to nominate advance songs for two weeks? Maybe...


Interesting, but possible.

If Elvis did submit a song list to CBS producers, RCA must have been apoplectic regarding his choices for the second appearance.