Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: January 28, 1956 --> The Time Has Come!

Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:55 pm

ekenee wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:There's no known "police footage" out there -- it's all newsreel. The so-called 1957 "police footage" in 1981's "This Is Elvis" was a dramatic contrivance.

I think word in your claim is, "known".

Good eye!

Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:57 pm

ekenee wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:There's no known "police footage" out there -- it's all newsreel. The so-called 1957 "police footage" in 1981's "This Is Elvis" was a dramatic contrivance.

I think key word in your claim is, "known". We do know that the police filmed his show at least twice.
The film is probably in some city archive, or perhaps the estate of some retired police cheif.

Hi ekenee, the footage from before and during Elvis' first show at the Jefferson County Armory, Louisville, Kentucky on 25 November 1956 was filmed by the police department.

It was discovered in the summer of 1978 by Sharon Nantz the head of the city archives department when she was in the basement of the First District police sub-station sorting through old training records that had been moved there from police HQ downtown. Part of this material was used in This Is Elvis. Some sources have said that there is 12 minutes of this film.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:45 pm

The Purple Gang wrote:
ekenee wrote:

I think key word in your claim is, "known". We do know that the police filmed his show at least twice.
The film is probably in some city archive, or perhaps the estate of some retired police cheif.

Hi ekenee, the footage from before and during Elvis' first show at the Jefferson County Armory, Louisville, Kentucky on 25 November 1956 was filmed by the police department.

It was discovered in the summer of 1978 by Sharon Nantz the head of the city archives department when she was in the basement of the First District police sub-station sorting through old training records that had been moved there from police HQ downtown. Part of this material was used in This Is Elvis. Some sources have said that there is 12 minutes of this film.

Right, and we also know that according to Elvis from the 68 special the police filmed a show in Florida, as well as the
first 1957 appearance in Los angeles.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:52 pm

The Purple Gang wrote:Hi ekenee, the footage from before and during Elvis' first show at the Jefferson County Armory, Louisville, Kentucky on 25 November 1956 was filmed by the police department.

Source?

The Purple Gang wrote:Part of this material was used in This Is Elvis.

It was?

Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:56 am

That was a mock up.

Your statement was a cock up.

:smt002

Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:51 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:That was a mock up.

That's what I said, glad you picked up on it.

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Your statement was a cock up.

It was?

Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:53 pm

Thanks for the posting Doc. Any idea who is sitting on the reels of those tv shows? Is the Estate the legal owner or the tv station? Any clue why we officially have only fragments of the material in On Tour, This is Elvis and Elvis 56? I guess with all the material not used on TWII, On Tour and EIC there is more material in some vaults than has been released.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:09 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:That was a mock up.

That's what I said, glad you picked up on it.

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Your statement was a cock up.

It was?

I used a statement within a statement and was referring to Purple Gang's cock up.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:05 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ekenee wrote:Didn't the General Sarnoff have plans for release and they went south?

I'm unsure what is the status of his work on this material. He would be the PERFECT choice to restore the remaining 1956 kinescopes.

IIRC, General Sarnoff worked on these shows and the company that paid for the work releases Elvis' first two apperances as a web onlu download. I know there were plans to put them onto DVD with a few extras. However, I think the downloads were sufficient to generate more interest. I do hope I am wrong on this.

Here are two prior discussions:

This alerted us to the fact that the 2/4/56 show was avilable for download at Restoration Sound and Vision in the UK: http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44682
It appears the Restoration Sound website is now offline.

Here's the original thread where General Sarnoff was solicting ideas for a DVD set: http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40025

Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:32 pm

Mike C wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
ekenee wrote:Didn't the General Sarnoff have plans for release and they went south?

I'm unsure what is the status of his work on this material. He would be the PERFECT choice to restore the remaining 1956 kinescopes.

IIRC, General Sarnoff worked on these shows and the company that paid for the work releases Elvis' first two appearances as a web only download. I know there were plans to put them onto DVD with a few extras. However, I think the downloads were sufficient to generate more interest. I do hope I am wrong on this.

Here are two prior discussions:

This alerted us to the fact that the 2/4/56 show was available for download at Restoration Sound and Vision in the UK:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44682

It appears the Restoration Sound website is now offline.

Here's the original thread where General Sarnoff was soliciting ideas for a DVD set:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40025

Nice, Mike C!

Alexander wrote:Thanks for the posting Doc. Any idea who is sitting on the reels of those tv shows? Is the Estate the legal owner or the tv station? Any clue why we officially have only fragments of the material in On Tour, This is Elvis and Elvis 56? I guess with all the material not used on TTWII, On Tour and EIC there is more material in some vaults than has been released.

You're welcome!

I have no idea who has what, but you can safely assume all holding back is based on financial issues.

Who loses? The fans.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:49 pm

Doc.........you're The Man..............

Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:04 am

debtd1 wrote:Doc.........you're The Man..............

Bless you, my child!!

Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:18 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:I used a statement within a statement and was referring to Purple Gang's cock up.

smt171

Hi Swingin
I don’t think we’re talking about the same footage. It seems you’re referencing the stuff from 1957 ‘mocked-up’ and used in This Is Elvis whereas I’m only talking about genuine police-shot footage from Louisville 25 November 1956. Some of this Louisville film found its way into Elvis: The Great Performances, and not This Is Elvis as I mentioned above. Sorry for any confusion. The Louisville footage was acquired by the This Is Elvis director and writer Malcolm Leo although it didn’t make it into the final cut of his movie. In 1980, when This Is Elvis was being prepared, the negotiations between the city and Warner Bros for its possible inclusion in the documentary were reported in at least three local news broadcasts which is where the details concerning the finding of the film are to be found.

Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:16 pm

The Purple Gang wrote:...I’m only talking about genuine police-shot footage from Louisville 25 November 1956.

I can't follow this at all.

Didn't you read Doc's post where he explained that there is no police-shot footage ?

Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:03 pm

ColinB wrote:
The Purple Gang wrote:...I’m only talking about genuine police-shot footage from Louisville 25 November 1956.
Didn't you read Doc's post where he explained that there is no police-shot footage ?

Everything is open for discussion. New information is being made available to us all the time, some of which will inevitably overturn the old certainties.
smt191

Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:16 pm

I think that Louisville footage came from the basement storage of the local TV news station.

Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:30 pm

The Purple Gang wrote:
ColinB wrote:

Everything is open for discussion.
New information is being made available to us all the time, some of which will inevitably overturn the old certainties.
smt191

He's not that old................

Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:48 pm

The Purple Gang wrote:
Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:I used a statement within a statement and was referring to Purple Gang's cock up.

smt171

Hi Swingin
I don’t think we’re talking about the same footage. It seems you’re referencing the stuff from 1957 ‘mocked-up’ and used in This Is Elvis whereas I’m only talking about genuine police-shot footage from Louisville 25 November 1956. Some of this Louisville film found its way into Elvis: The Great Performances, and not This Is Elvis as I mentioned above. Sorry for any confusion. The Louisville footage was acquired by the This Is Elvis director and writer Malcolm Leo although it didn’t make it into the final cut of his movie. In 1980, when This Is Elvis was being prepared, the negotiations between the city and Warner Bros for its possible inclusion in the documentary were reported in at least three local news broadcasts which is where the details concerning the finding of the film are to be found.

By police footage, I take it you mean the footage I've included on this page?
http://scottymoore.net/louisville56.html

Let me know how/if this resolves (police or studio). I've always been under the impression it was filmed by, or at least under the direction of, the police.

Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:52 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:By police footage, I take it you mean the footage I've included on this page?

Let me know how/if this resolves (police or studio). I've always been under the impression it was filmed by, or at least under the direction of, the police.

The video doesn't play for me.

Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:12 pm

ColinB wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:By police footage, I take it you mean the footage I've included on this page?

You may have to click play a few times and wait till it loads. Its not quite immediate for me either.

Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:31 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:
ColinB wrote:

You may have to click play a few times and wait till it loads. Its not quite immediate for me either.

At first it says 'Ready'.

When I click on the play button, it flashes up 'Connecting to media.....' just for a second, then reverts to 'Ready' - but nothing plays............

Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:36 pm

ColinB wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:
ColinB wrote:

At first it says 'Ready'.

When I click on the play button, it flashes up 'Connecting to media.....' just for a second, then reverts to 'Ready' - but nothing plays............

Also, e-Cat posted about this in the picture section last year and said that Joe Tunzi was going ot release the whole 12 minutes. The KET station in Kentucky ran a story on Elvis Louisville links, used part of the footage and credited it as police footage also http://www.ket.org/cgi-bin/fw_louisvillelife.exe/db/ket/dmps/programs?do=topic&topicid=loul110063&id=loul

Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:09 pm

Y'know, I don't give a sh*t who filmed this - it's beautiful footage!

Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:45 pm

The Purple Gang wrote:... in at least three local news broadcasts which is where the details concerning the finding of the film are to be found.

This is your source?

ColinB wrote:I can't follow this at all.

Please stop trying to impress your pals elsewhere and derail this wonderful topic with crap like this.

I never said any such thing:

Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:48 pm

James, thanks for your input. On your excellent Louisville page you write:

"The police ultimately had portions of the matinee show at the Armory filmed ..."

What is your source on this?