Post here all reviews related to Offical RCA/BMG/FTD releases

Re: SINGLES OF THE '70s

Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:29 pm

ColinB
You´re right.
I rarely listen to the 1975/1976 studio sessions. In fact, for the whole 70´s, I only listen to the Nashville 1970 sessions. After that, I could gather my favorite post1970 recordings in a single CD:
Early Mornin´ Rain, Merry Christmas Baby, I´ve Got Confidence, Don´t think Twice, Holly Leaves & Christmas Trees, I John, I´ll Be Home On Christmas Day, Burning Love, Always on my Mind, Separate Ways, I´ve Got a Thing about you Baby, If You Don´t Come Back, Just A Little bit, I Got A Feelin´ in my Body, You Asked Me To, Talk About The Good Times, Promised Land, Lovin´ arms, I Can Help.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:38 am

likethebike wrote:"I Really Don't Want to Know" was the A-side of "There Goes My Everything" and it's simply an epic performance. Again fans seemed to like it to the tune of almost 750,000 records but programmers didn't. But damn it was a great piece of soul blues, that must have sounded great and unpredictable coming out of the Top 40.

I remember Dick Clark playing I Really Don't Want to Know on Bandstand. I thought the song was going to be a bigger hit than it was. It just missed cracking the pop top ten if I remember right.

Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:30 am

The singles choices circa 70-71 were mostly poor. The second CD of singles is far superior.
Some rock material, maybe Whole Lotta Shakin', should have been used.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:30 am

Elvis had some great albums in the early 70's - On Stage, That's the Way it Is, Elvis Country, The Wonderful World of Christmas, He Touched Me - but the singles were poor choices after You Don't Have to Say You Love Me/Patch It Up. I agree, the later 70's singles were better, especially Burning Love, Steamroller Blues, I've Got a Thing About You Baby, If You Talk in Your Sleep, Promised Land, T-R-O-U-B-L-E, For the Heart, Moody Blue, Way Down...and yes, My Boy (IMHO).

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:49 am

I think I'm Leavin' / The Heart of Rome was a great combo. I literally wore the grooves out on the 45 of the I'm Leavin' side. Where Did They Go, Lord / Rags to Riches was a very odd choice. Some folks still think Where Did They Go, Lord is a gospel song and the flip side probably got no air play at all. I Really Don't Want to Know / Take Good Care of Her was a perfect coupling as far as I'm concerned, but maybe only for the country charts, though Top 40 stations still played the A side.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:49 am

I love I've Lost You/The Next Step is Love and I'm Leavin' I always have.

After buying "Elvis Now" I gave up on Elvis until his Moody Blue LP. (right after he died, I collected all between Elvis Now and Moody Blue, already having every other LP.) I was just so depressed that after he came back with a vengence in the 1968-1971 period, that he once again fell into such a slump--recordings wise.