Post here all polls related to Elvis Albums/Songs Etc.

Do you like the gospel side of Elvis ?

a lot
89%
a little
7%
average
2%
not at all
2%

Total votes : 46

Do you like the gospel side of Elvis ?

Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:58 pm

Hello

please answer
i ' d like to see something

Re: Do you like the gospel side of Elvis ?

Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:05 pm

I love it. It’s some of his best music.

Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:57 pm

A lot!

Lennart

Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:05 pm

I like the gospel side of Elvis a lot.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:14 pm

Yes, some of it brings on the goosebumps. I never get tired of hearing "He Touched Me" and "He Knows Just What I Need." Way too many to name here. It is the opinion of this fan that nobody sings the gospel like Elvis Presley.

Nobody.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:43 pm

Rob wrote:Yes, some of it brings on the goosebumps. I never get tired of hearing "He Touched Me" and "He Knows Just What I Need." Way too many to name here.
It is the opinion of this fan that nobody sings the gospel like Elvis Presley.

Nobody.

Sister Rosetta Tharpe

Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:11 pm

Yes, I love the How Great Thou Art album.

One of my all time favourite Elvis recordings is Somebody Bigger Than You and I.

When will FTD give this album the deluxe treatment it deserves?

Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:28 am

The answer to that last question: Very soon.

Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:49 am

The two 60s albums are classics.

Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:58 am

The two 60s albums are classics.

The 3rd one may not be as good as the other two but it still has some nice performances, including I´VE GOT CONFIDENCE, BOSOM OF ABRAHAM, I JOHN and the title track.

"How Great Thou Art" is still the #1 Gospel LP from Elvis.
Can´t wait for the FTD release!

Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:22 am

I like a lot

Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:33 am

The last thing I am in this world is religious but I love Elvis' gospel catalogue.He puts
everything he has into them and it's that enthusiasm that I admire.

Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:45 am

Elvis' gospel albums are among his best. His commitment to the material is unquestioned, and he had some of the best players and singers working with him. If I had to pick just one of his gospel albums, it would be "He Touched Me". I guess I prefer the slightly more contemporary sound of that album, but all of them are so strong it's really a tough choice. I've also enjoyed Johnny Cash's gospel recordings. The message in this music resonates with me much more than John Lennon's atheistic POB music, as discussed in another thread.

Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:34 am

Subject: Do you like the gospel side of Elvis ?

tcb4 wrote:please answer

YES.

Rob wrote:Yes, some of it brings on the goosebumps. I never get tired of hearing "He Touched Me" and "He Knows Just What I Need." Way too many to name here. It is the opinion of this fan that nobody sings the gospel like Elvis Presley.

Nobody.

Nobody?

Such a sweet fan you are, but you forget ...

Sam Cooke.

And he was on RCA, too.

Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:27 am

ColinB wrote:
Rob wrote:Yes, some of it brings on the goosebumps. I never get tired of hearing "He Touched Me" and "He Knows Just What I Need." Way too many to name here.
It is the opinion of this fan that nobody sings the gospel like Elvis Presley.

Nobody.

Sister Rosetta Tharpe

Seconded. Here's a clip of her doing "Up Above My Head":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeaBNAXfHfQ

Amongst many others, I'd also highly recommend The Queen of Gospel Music, Mahalia Jackson. Just imagine a duet between her and Elvis! Here's a version of her doing "Just A Closer Walk With Thee":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9Qq_cVoLzs

Neither of these performances are their definitive versions but hopefully they will give those interested a taste of what's out there :)

Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:34 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Subject: Do you like the gospel side of Elvis ?

tcb4 wrote:please answer

YES.

Rob wrote:Yes, some of it brings on the goosebumps. I never get tired of hearing "He Touched Me" and "He Knows Just What I Need." Way too many to name here. It is the opinion of this fan that nobody sings the gospel like Elvis Presley.

Nobody.

Nobody?

Such a sweet fan you are, but you forget ...

Sam Cooke.

And he was on RCA, too.

Sam's gospel sides were recorded for Specialty Records.

Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:02 am

YES YES I have every gospel album and cd he made. When I want to relax my mind , there is nothing like Elvis gospel to soothe me.

Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:12 am

Lonely Summer wrote:Sam's gospel sides were recorded for Specialty Records.

My point is that anyone who knows Elvis Presley should know of another VERY famous singer who was recording and having hits for RCA at the exact same time that Elvis was recording and having hits for RCA.

Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:17 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:Sam's gospel sides were recorded for Specialty Records.

My point is that anyone who knows Elvis Presley should know of another VERY famous singer who was recording and having hits for RCA at the exact same time that Elvis was recording and having hits for RCA.

Yes, Sam's gospel sides were awesome. I particularly like the accapella "Jesus Gave Me Water", and "The Last Mile of the Way". One of the best singers ever, gospel or pop.

Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:15 am

Love Elvis' gospel work , many highlights, love the way he sings with a freedom for the lord. im not particularly relegious however.

Sam Cooke amongst my favourite singers ,some great performances.

Al Green does some great gospel with sometimes a slightly different take , particularly at height of his career, the album Truth and Time (think its called ) and Belle are good examples.

Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:19 am

armitages wrote:Love Elvis' gospel work , many highlights, love the way he sings with a freedom for the lord. im not particularly relegious however.

Sam Cooke amongst my favourite singers ,some great performances.

Al Green does some great gospel with sometimes a slightly different take , particularly at height of his career, the album Truth and Time (think its called ) and Belle are good examples.

"Truth N' Time" is a great album! I rank it right alongside "The Belle Album", Al Green at his best IMO. Not strictly gospel on those two albums, but the influence was definately there, both musically and lyrically.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:54 pm

I like Elvis` gospel songs a lot........He and his voice did them special somehow 8)

Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:27 am

A little.

It's my least favourite of his various styles, but he does it exceptionally well and makes it listenable and enjoyable.

I enjoy Jim Reeves' religious material much better however.

Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:36 pm

Not at all. Nor do I like "Old shep".

Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:24 pm

I like the Elvis Gospels very much.
I just love these Gospel Albums from Elvis.
They are just fantastic

::rocks