In this section you can submit questions to people that knew Elvis, or to other important people in the Elvis World.

ELVIS - THE MAN & THE MISIC

Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:47 am

Hello Sandi,

I've only just returned to these messageboards after 4 months absence.

See I have a lot of catching up to do. I trust the questions are not the same as any one elses.

I have 2 questions for you, Lady -

1) Did you ever get into conversations with Elvis re: the music trends , particularly in the early 1970's, and also regarding the
various types of Music that he loved and intended to record but never did (i.e. folk music. I think the closest he ever got to folk was with songs like "early morning rain" and "For loving me" two Gordon Lightfoot songs). So in other words did EP have ambition to tap into other forms of music he hadn't yet completely explored? (in June 1970 alone, EP recorded three albums worth of material).

2) Were you present in Feb 1976 where he was recording material that ultimately became his final two LP's
I especially loved "From E.P. Boulevard, Memphis Tenessee" . Elvis apparently recorded "Feelings" but this has never surfaced.

Thank you for your time, Lady :smt006 :smt007 !
Last edited by walter hale on Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: ELVIS - THE MAN & THE MISIC

Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:21 pm

walter hale wrote:3) Do you know Elvis' recordings of "Pieces of my life" and "My Boy"? and if so, do you like them?.
I understand Elvis Papa liked POML. EP even sang a one-off concert version and stated so !!!!

I'm definitely (and obviously) not Sandi, but informed sources tell me that Elvis did actually like both songs, very much, but that in the summer of 1975 he got wind of disapproval from some ironic-hipster dude and, in his shame, stopped adding "My Boy" to his setlist and blamed his desire to sing "Pieces Of My Life" in Asheville on his father. About the same time, he shaved most of his head and used a lot of gel and wax and glue to shape the rest into a mohawk; the real reason why he was off work from August to December of 1975 was that he was waiting for his hair to grow back and for the safety-pin holes in his lip and right cheek to heal over. There are some on this forum to whom news of Elvis' punk phase will likely be a surprise...he was way cooler than they think he was, apparently, and way ahead of those upstart Sex Pistols and the like.

Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:18 pm

SANDI

Hi Lady...

Greetings from Australia,

Over the years we hear so many contrasting stories about Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis.
So the question is - Did you ever have any conversations with Elvis about the Sun years or recall any anecdotes by him of the Sun contemporaries such as Jerry, Johnny Cash, Charlie Rich, Roy Orbison, Carl Perkins ? It seemed a pity to me that the guys that more or less started about the same time from the Sun recording era had no contact with him later on.

Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:16 pm

walter hale wrote:...2) Were you present in Feb 1976 where he was recording material that ultimately became his final two LP's
I especially loved "From E.P. Boulevard, Memphis Tenessee" .
Elvis apparently recorded "Feelings" but this has never surfaced.

That was all at Graceland.

My understanding is that Sandi was a frequent house-visitor at his Palm Springs home................

Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:38 am

ColinB wrote:
walter hale wrote:...2) Were you present in Feb 1976 where he was recording material that ultimately became his final two LP's
I especially loved "From E.P. Boulevard, Memphis Tenessee" .
Elvis apparently recorded "Feelings" but this has never surfaced.

That was all at Graceland.

My understanding is that Sandi was a frequent house-visitor at his Palm Springs home................

You're right - I only took a few trips to Memphis while Elvis was alive so I'm really pretty clueless when it comes to Memphis happenings. ALl of my time was spent in LA and Palm Springs.

Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:41 am

Inig'-- funny stuff!

Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:39 am

I didn't think it was funny, dude. That's why I altered my original post :evil:

Maybe the criticism of the songs by the likes of midnightx has bothered him. Pity.