Post here all polls related to Elvis Albums/Songs Etc.

Stranger vs Stranger

Poll ended at Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:02 am

1969 Original Memphis Recording
63%
1970 Rehearsal
38%

Total votes : 24

Stranger Vs Stranger

Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:02 am

The song Stranger In My Own Hometown is one of Elvis' greatest.
Which version do you prefer - the 1969 Memphis recording or the 1970 slow blues rehearsal (with improvised lyrics)?

Re: Stranger Vs Stranger

Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:03 am

rickeap wrote:The song Stranger In My Own Hometown is one of Elvis' greatest.
Which version do you prefer - the 1969 Memphis recording or the 1970 slow blues rehearsal (with improvised lyrics)?

The 1969 master cannot be topped -- great song, brilliant, playful vocal, stellar musicianship, superb production and arrangement. What a triumph!

The 1970 rehearsal is just that: a less-than-serious run through.

Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:46 am

Both equally great in different ways, in my opinion.

Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:54 am

Cryogenic wrote:Both equally great in different ways, in my opinion.

Yes, they are very different !

The rehearsal serves as a good example of Elvis' devilish sense of humour !

Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:44 pm

The Doc said it all.

//Björn

Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:34 pm

dreambear wrote:The Doc said it all.

//Björn

Thankyouverymuch!

Trust the doc!

Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:23 am

I agree with ya there Dr. John :smt002 :smt001
drjohncarpenter wrote:
rickeap wrote:The song Stranger In My Own Hometown is one of Elvis' greatest.

The 1969 master cannot be topped -- great song, brilliant, playful vocal, stellar musicianship, superb production and arrangement. What a triumph!

The 1970 rehearsal is just that: a less-than-serious run through.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Never cared for the studio master. Too soul for me. The 1970 version really made me prick my ears up though!

Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:05 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Never cared for the studio master. Too soul for me.

You may have an issue.

The very best of Elvis is nothing but soul.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:07 am

I mean soul in the musical sense. I don't like soul music or motown and this arrangement reminds me of both.

I feel the soul in country, blues, rock n roll and pop and dixie and gospel and all the other areas he covered. I don't DISLIKE the 69 master, i wouldn't skip it, but it doesn't set me on fire.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:26 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:I don't like soul music or motown and this arrangement reminds me of both.

Wow.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:57 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:I mean soul in the musical sense. I don't like soul music or motown and this arrangement reminds me of both.

I feel the soul in country, blues, rock n roll and pop and dixie and gospel and all the other areas he covered. I don't DISLIKE the 69 master, i wouldn't skip it, but it doesn't set me on fire.

Stranger in my own hometown is a blues song not soul

Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:12 pm

Yeah it's a blues song, but the memphis arrangement with the driving drum beat and the horns has a very strong sould influence. And as i said, I just don't like soul music. I love pretty much everything from the 60s except the soul/motown vibe (and reggae which is one of my least faouite styles of muic ever). I like beat, pop, country, country rock, R&B, harmony stuff, psychedelic, baroque, whimsy, music hall, swing, light jazz, big band, some folk .... but I don't own a single motown record cos it bores me.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:20 pm

Voted for the rehearsal version but I love them both, Elvis at his best!

Lennart

Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:34 am

I love them both too, but the soulful studio version is still the best to my ears.

Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:54 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Yeah it's a blues song, but the memphis arrangement with the driving drum beat and the horns has a very strong sould influence. And as i said, I just don't like soul music. I love pretty much everything from the 60s except the soul/motown vibe (and reggae which is one of my least faouite styles of muic ever). I like beat, pop, country, country rock, R&B, harmony stuff, psychedelic, baroque, whimsy, music hall, swing, light jazz, big band, some folk .... but I don't own a single motown record cos it bores me.

As far as Motown's concerned, I hear what you mean: I like a lot of the Motown stuff from the '60s and beyond, largely on the strength of the performers (Marvin Gaye, for one), and I recognize the label's historic significance, but in my opinion a lot of it is most definitely overproduced. A little rawness -- perhaps a little more Stax -- would probably have helped in that respect.

Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:10 am

My opinion exactly. That's why I didn't vote.

Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:19 pm

Monique wrote:

My opinion exactly. That's why I didn't vote.

I guess we're too radical for this thread!

:wink:

Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:23 pm

Bluesy song with a great horns and stunning bassline. -69 studio version of course.

Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:35 pm

the 1970 performance reminds me of the Tiger man we are arguing about on the little darling thread

a more laid back bluesy approach that again works well as an alternative way of doing the song

Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:30 pm

No question: The 1970 rehearsal version got my quote. It's playful in the best sense of meaning. The studio master is a bit boring in comparison.

Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:52 am

patricia66 wrote:No question: The 1970 rehearsal version got my quote. It's playful in the best sense of meaning. The studio master is a bit boring in comparison.

Wow. That is BOLD.

The 1970 version sure is cool - that is for sure.

Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:46 pm

BigredG wrote:
patricia66 wrote:No question: The 1970 rehearsal version got my quote. It's playful in the best sense of meaning. The studio master is a bit boring in comparison.

Wow. That is BOLD.

The 1970 version sure is cool - that is for sure.

It's just how I feel about it.

Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:03 pm

patricia66 wrote: It's just how I feel about it.

That's cool.

I prefer the '70 one too.

Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:27 pm

I prefer the rehearsal.