In this section you can submit questions to people that knew Elvis, or to other important people in the Elvis World.

Sandi: How often did Elvis watch TV?

Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:53 am

Sandi, I've greately enjoyed these great responses to the various questions and I wanted to throw in another question just to get a better idea of Elvis as a person....

How was the TV set treated by Elvis? Did he have it on all the time? We have some idea of the shows he loved like "Monty Python" ...would you have any other memories of the kinds of things he loved to watch? You mentioned before that he would be famous for switching channels too quickly...thought that was a great insight. Did Elvis have any "appointment television" shows where the world would stop just to watch it? Would he ever be like "It's Monday night everybody...XYZ is going to be on in 15 minutes!" How often did he turn on Carson or any other daily late night shows?

I'm wondering about this, because myself, I have the TV on constantly, sometimes just the sound off while I have music on or something.

Any memories would be great to read!!

Re: Sandi: How often did Elvis watch TV?

Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:33 pm

IMETJB wrote:Sandi, I've greately enjoyed these great responses to the various questions and I wanted to throw in another question just to get a better idea of Elvis as a person....

How was the TV set treated by Elvis? Did he have it on all the time? We have some idea of the shows he loved like "Monty Python" ...would you have any other memories of the kinds of things he loved to watch? You mentioned before that he would be famous for switching channels too quickly...thought that was a great insight. Did Elvis have any "appointment television" shows where the world would stop just to watch it? Would he ever be like "It's Monday night everybody...XYZ is going to be on in 15 minutes!" How often did he turn on Carson or any other daily late night shows?

I'm wondering about this, because myself, I have the TV on constantly, sometimes just the sound off while I have music on or something.

Any memories would be great to read!!

**The tv seemed to be on all the time - even though during the day no one was really watching it unless it was sports or something. I* think* it was Jack Paar that he used to like to watch at night plus ANY old movies that were on but I can't think of a show that he just felt he couldn't miss. Back then the tv didn't have programs on all night long .... around 1 in the morning or so they'd play the Star Spangled Banner and then you'd get the test pattern on the tube so it's not like it is now where there's something to watch 24/7

Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:42 am

On a similar line .... do you recall his response to the first moon landing?

Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:08 am

DutchLA wrote:
**The tv seemed to be on all the time - even though during the day no one was really watching it unless it was sports or something. I* think* it was Jack Paar that he used to like to watch at night plus ANY old movies that were on but I can't think of a show that he just felt he couldn't miss. Back then the tv didn't have programs on all night long .... around 1 in the morning or so they'd play the Star Spangled Banner and then you'd get the test pattern on the tube so it's not like it is now where there's something to watch 24/7

Thanks Sandi---very great to read! ::rocks

Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:11 am

Apparently Elvis was a childhood fan of Captain Marvel Jr., whose motifs influenced Elvis' style later in life.

So I am curious if Elvis liked to watch any super hero TV series, such as the late 1960s Batman series or from the 1970s, shows such as The Six Million Dollar Man, and Wonder Woman. Did he tend to watch these shows?

Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:23 pm

Steve G wrote:Apparently Elvis was a childhood fan of Captain Marvel Jr., whose motifs influenced Elvis' style later in life.

So I am curious if Elvis liked to watch any super hero TV series, such as the late 1960s Batman series or from the 1970s, shows such as The Six Million Dollar Man, and Wonder Woman. Did he tend to watch these shows?

**I think those shows were on during the week and most of my time around Elvis was on the weekends so don't know if he watched them or not. I think he would have loved today's line up of tv shows though - so many that would be right up his alley!

Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:01 pm

DutchLA wrote:
Steve G wrote:Apparently Elvis was a childhood fan of Captain Marvel Jr., whose motifs influenced Elvis' style later in life.

**I think those shows were on during the week and most of my time around Elvis was on the weekends so don't know if he watched them or not. I think he would have loved today's line up of tv shows though - so many that would be right up his alley!

I wonder what he would have thought about American Idol. Was there televised talent shows around back then that Elvis could see?

Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:04 pm

I don't think Opportunity Knocks and New Faces (UK tv talent shows from the 60s and 70s) made it across the pond. If he'd been around now, he'd probably have hired Susan Boyle as a backing singer :wink:

Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:46 am

Cryogenic wrote:On a similar line .... do you recall his response to the first moon landing?

On July 20, 1969 Elvis was in L.A. rehearsing his new rhythm band.

But maybe they all took Sunday afternoon off to watch.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:22 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote: But maybe they all took Sunday afternoon off to watch.

Maybe Neil (Armstrong) watched it on TV, too! Now, there is something* to think about!
*comment not directed to you personally, Doc!

Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:23 pm

thefunkyangel wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote: But maybe they all took Sunday afternoon off to watch.

Maybe Neil (Armstrong) watched it on TV, too! Now, there is something* to think about!
*comment not directed to you personally, Doc!

So true!

Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:13 pm

Do you guys believe in the conspiracy then ?

Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:15 pm

Dan_T wrote:Do you guys believe in the conspiracy then ?

There is no conspiracy.

They brought moon rocks back with them !

Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:46 pm

I heard Armstrong was in the International watching Barbara Streisand when the fake moon landing was broacast. He was killing time waiting for the 31st :wink:

Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:00 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:I heard Armstrong was in the International watching Barbara Streisand when the fake moon landing was broacast. He was killing time waiting for the 31st :wink:

Actually, he was hiding in a bathroom at the International, patiently positioning himself so he could listen to Elvis rehearse.

Buzz Aldrin was at Woodstock, validating his nickname.

Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:04 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Actually, he was hiding in a bathroom at the International, patiently positioning himself so he could listen to Elvis rehearse.

High time he shared this tape with the rest of the World to ensure he goes down in history!!!

Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:58 pm

BigredG wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:Actually, he was hiding in a bathroom at the International, patiently positioning himself so he could listen to Elvis rehearse.

High time he shared this tape with the rest of the World to ensure he goes down in history!!!

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:55 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:I heard Armstrong was in the International watching Barbara Streisand when the fake moon landing was broacast. He was killing time waiting for the 31st :wink:

Actually, he was hiding in a bathroom at the International, patiently positioning himself so he could listen to Elvis rehearse.

No, I think he was watching from the moon. I've heard of sneaking a look from a distance, but that's ridiculous.