Chat talk and light discussion

Things we should know but probably don't......

Tue May 12, 2009 10:22 am

1. Money isn't made out of paper, it's made out of cotton.

2. The Declaration of Independence was written on hemp (marijuana) paper.

3. The dot over the letter i is called a 'tittle'.

4. A raisin dropped in a glass of fresh champagne will bounce up and down continuously from the bottom of the glass to the top.

5. Susan Lucci is the daughter of Phyllis Diller. (incorrect)

6. 40% of Mc Donald 's profits come from the sales of Happy Meals.

7. 315 entries in Webster's 1996 Dictionary were misspelled.

8. The 'spot' on 7UP comes from its inventor, who had red eyes. He was albino.

9. On average, 12 newborns will be given to the wrong parents, daily. (Just as I suspected))

10. Warren Beatty and Shirley MacLaine are brother and sister.

11. Chocolate affects a dog's heart and nervous system; a few ounces will kill a small-sized dog.

12. Orcas (killer whales) kill sharks by torpedoing up into the shark's stomach from underneath, causing the shark to explode.

13. Most lipstick contains fish scales (eeww).

14. Donald Duck comics were banned from Finland because he doesn't wear pants. (The Little Perv.)

15. Ketchup was sold in the 1830's as medicine.

16.. Upper and lower-case letters are named 'upper' and 'lower' because in the time when all original print had to be set in individual letters, the 'upper case' letters were stored in the case on top of the case that stored the smaller, 'lower case' letters.

17. Leonardo Da Vinci could write with one hand and draw with the other at the same time, hence, multi-tasking was invented.

18. Because metal was scarce, the Oscars given out during World War II were made of wood. (plaster)

19. There are no clocks in Las Vegas gambling casinos.

20. The name Wendy was made up for the book Peter Pan; there was never a recorded Wendy before!

21. There are no words in the dictionary that rhyme with: orange, purple, and silver!

22. Leonardo Da Vinci invented scissors. Also, it took him 10 years to paint Mona Lisa's lips.

23. A tiny amount of liquor on a scorpion will make it instantly go mad and sting itself to death.

24. The mask used by Michael Myers in the original 'Halloween' was a Captain Kirk's mask painted white.

25. If you have three quarters, four dimes, and four pennies, you have $1.19. You also have the largest amount of money in coins without being able to make change for a dollar. (good to know.)

26. By raising your legs slowly and lying on your back, you can't sink in quicksand (and you thought this list was completely useless.)

27. The phrase 'rule of thumb' is derived from an old English law, which stated that you couldn't beat your wife with a stick wider than your thumb.

28. The first product Motorola started to develop was a record player for automobiles. At that time, the most known player on the market was the Victrola, so they called themselves Motorola.

29. Celery has negative calories! It takes more calories to eat a piece of celery than the celery has in it to begin with.

30. Chewing gum while peeling onions will keep you from crying!

31. The glue on Israeli postage stamps is certified kosher.

32. "Guinness Book of Records" holds the record for being the book most often stolen from public Libraries.

33. George Carlin said it best about Martha Stewart. "Boy, I feel a lot safer now that she's behind bars. O. J. Simpson and Kobe Bryant are still walking around; Osama Bin Laden too, but they take the ONE woman in America willing to cook, clean, and work in the yard, and they haul her off to jail."

Re: Things we should know but probably don't......

Tue May 12, 2009 1:28 pm

Thanks a lot Luuk. I enjoy reading facts like this.

Luuk wrote:21. There are no words in the dictionary that rhyme with: orange, purple, and silver!

That is incorrect, though.

Re: Things we should know but probably don't......

Tue May 12, 2009 11:14 pm

Ben wrote:Thanks a lot Luuk. I enjoy reading facts like this.

Luuk wrote:21. There are no words in the dictionary that rhyme with: orange, purple, and silver!

That is incorrect, though.


So is this:

23. A tiny amount of liquor on a scorpion will make it instantly go mad and sting itself to death.


They are immune to their own sting........................

Re: Things we should know but probably don't......

Wed May 13, 2009 4:08 am

Ben wrote:Thanks a lot Luuk. I enjoy reading facts like this.

Luuk wrote:21. There are no words in the dictionary that rhyme with: orange, purple, and silver!

That is incorrect, though.

So, what words rhyme with orange, silver and purple?

Re: Things we should know but probably don't......

Wed May 13, 2009 12:05 pm

minni1 wrote:
Ben wrote:Thanks a lot Luuk. I enjoy reading facts like this.

Luuk wrote:21. There are no words in the dictionary that rhyme with: orange, purple, and silver!

That is incorrect, though.

So, what words rhyme with orange, silver and purple?


range, liver & maple 8)

Re: Things we should know but probably don't......

Wed May 13, 2009 12:47 pm

minni1 wrote:
Ben wrote:
Luuk wrote:21. There are no words in the dictionary that rhyme with: orange, purple, and silver!
That is incorrect, though.
So, what words rhyme with orange, silver and purple?

I can't remember but it is something like "gurple"/"sirpul". It was on QI about something rhyming with purple.

Re: Things we should know but probably don't......

Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:32 pm

Red food coloring (such as in Danish sausage and red candy) comes from lice.

Re: Things we should know but probably don't......

Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:22 pm

Tang Lungs side kick wrote:Red food coloring (such as in Danish sausage and red candy) comes from lice.

no wonder I itch after I eat a red popsicle,,,

Re: Things we should know but probably don't......

Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:18 pm

Honestly , theres so much fake crap/artificial in food that lice is the least of our problems :lol:

(when I eat a burger I dont think whats in it....and thats a good thing really)

Re: Things we should know but probably don't......

Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:27 pm

tcb4 wrote:
minni1 wrote:
Ben wrote:Thanks a lot Luuk. I enjoy reading facts like this.

Luuk wrote:21. There are no words in the dictionary that rhyme with: orange, purple, and silver!

That is incorrect, though.

So, what words rhyme with orange, silver and purple?


range, liver & maple 8)


liver doesn't rhyme with silver! It rhymes with quiver, river etc. But the "l" of silver seems to give it a different pronounciation and slows you down when you say it, hence the lack of rhyme.