Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: New Pittsburgh Recording???

Fri May 08, 2009 4:09 am

elvisjock wrote:
rickeap wrote:"Hey Joe, I'm focussing all right," is a line a recall in the 2-record original


My favorite is the older sounding man. Elvis says he wants to introduce the members of his group, and without missing a beat he says, "Who cares?" He's also heard during the opening vamp. "C'mon Ellllllvasssssssss!!!!"

The girl that "replies" to the opening lines of Are You Lonesome Tonight is amusing as well.

The male voice is a well-known Elvis photographer.

Re: New Pittsburgh Recording???

Fri May 08, 2009 5:10 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisjock wrote:
rickeap wrote:"Hey Joe, I'm focussing all right," is a line a recall in the 2-record original


My favorite is the older sounding man. Elvis says he wants to introduce the members of his group, and without missing a beat he says, "Who cares?" He's also heard during the opening vamp. "C'mon Ellllllvasssssssss!!!!"

The girl that "replies" to the opening lines of Are You Lonesome Tonight is amusing as well.

The male voice is a well-known Elvis photographer.


Popsie?

Re: New Pittsburgh Recording???

Fri May 08, 2009 6:22 am

No, not William "PoPsie" Randolph.

Re: New Pittsburgh Recording???

Fri May 08, 2009 12:26 pm

elvisjock wrote:My favorite is the older sounding man. Elvis says he wants to introduce the members of his group, and without missing a beat he says, "Who cares?" He's also heard during the opening vamp. "C'mon Ellllllvasssssssss!!!!"


That guy is an essential part of that recording, and he sets the mood nicely! :)
IIRC, he continues the "Who cares?" comment with "Keep singin', baby!"

Re: New Pittsburgh Recording???

Fri May 08, 2009 12:42 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:No, not William "PoPsie" Randolph.


Wertheimer?

Re: New Pittsburgh Recording???

Fri May 08, 2009 2:01 pm

Those comments do add some atmosphere to an audience recording

Re: New Pittsburgh Recording???

Fri May 08, 2009 2:10 pm

G.I. Blues wrote:Hi everyone,

just received the following mail and was wondering if anyone had heared about this and if there is a sound sample available:


RECENTLY DISCOVERED RECORDING OF PITTSBURGH 12/31/76!

WE'VE RECENTLY DISCOVERED A COMPLETE AND EXCELLENT QUALITY RECORDING OF THE HISTORIC PITTSBURGH 12/31/76 SHOW! THE ORIGIN OF THIS RECORDING IS A BIT HAZY BUT ITS PURPORTED TO BE AN EXPERIMENT TO RECORD FROM THE SOUNDBOARD, BUT WITH A DIFFERENT SOUND THAN THE USUAL. MY INFORMATION SAYS THIS WAS RECORDED WITH "AUDIENCE MICS" TO GET MORE OF THE REAL FEEL OF THE CONCER[b][/b]T. AND IT DEFINATELY WAS A SUCCESS! THE RESULT IS AN EXCELLENT RECORDING WITH A SOUND THAT WILL MAKE YOU FEEL YOU ARE THERE IN THE ARENA! IT DOESN'T SOUND EXACTLY LIKE YOUR REGULAR SOUNDBOARDS, BUT I CAN ASSURE YOU ITS GREAT! BETTER QUALITY THAN ANY RECORDING OF THIS SHOW I HAVE EVER HEARD! AND THE COMPLETE SHOW IS HERE ON 2 CDs. COMPLETE BAND INTRODUCTIONS,EVERYTHING FROM START TO FINISH! ALMOST 90 MINS! 36 TRACKS!


What does he mean? If it is a soundboard the sound is taken from the mixer. You can of course blend it with microphones. This is apparently an audience recording.

Re: New Pittsburgh Recording???

Fri May 08, 2009 2:58 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Ben wrote:But all FTD 2CD sets have been sold at the same price as the single disc editions so that isn't the reason.

Are you sure about that?

If you buy the new Nevada Nights FTD which contains two CDs you will pay the same price as you will if you buy the new [/b]I'll Remember you[/b] FTD which contains one CD. If you bought the New Year's Eve FTD which contains two CDs you will have paid the same price as if you bought the one CD Elvis At The International. Correct??

Re: New Pittsburgh Recording???

Fri May 08, 2009 5:01 pm

Ben wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Ben wrote:But all FTD 2CD sets have been sold at the same price as the single disc editions so that isn't the reason.

Are you sure about that?

If you buy the new Nevada Nights FTD which contains two CDs you will pay the same price as you will if you buy the new [/b]I'll Remember you[/b] FTD which contains one CD. If you bought the New Year's Eve FTD which contains two CDs you will have paid the same price as if you bought the one CD Elvis At The International. Correct??


What the doc means is that FTD doesn't charge you extra for the horrible mastering errors on "New year's eve".
Why they didn't replace the disc like they did with "So high" is beyond me.
From New year's eve on I was sure I wasn't going to buy each ftd released.
Paying US$ 30 for a concert already released on bootleg and with horrible digital noises is not my idea of a good deal.

Re: New Pittsburgh Recording???

Fri May 08, 2009 8:24 pm

Freddy Freeman wrote:What the doc means is that FTD doesn't charge you extra for the horrible mastering errors on "New year's eve".

No, I think that DJC is accurately pointing out that you have to pay a lot more than the 'standard' price for FTD's 2xCD/book sets, Writing For The King and Rockin' Across Texas.


I knew that, I was making an "ironic" comment.
BTW, I have the Writing for king book and I love it.
I wish both cds were comprised of demos instead of only the first one!

Re: New Pittsburgh Recording???

Fri May 08, 2009 8:38 pm

Freddy Freeman wrote:
javilu wrote:
Freddy Freeman wrote:What the doc means is that FTD doesn't charge you extra for the horrible mastering errors on "New year's eve".

No, I think that DJC is accurately pointing out that you have to pay a lot more than the 'standard' price for FTD's 2xCD/book sets, Writing For The King and Rockin' Across Texas.


I knew that, I was making an "ironic" comment.


Far too subtle for me! :lol:


My English got so good I even fool those who have it as Main language!

Re: New Pittsburgh Recording???

Fri May 08, 2009 8:44 pm

elvisjock wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:No, not William "PoPsie" Randolph.


Wertheimer?

Think 1976, not 1956.

Re: New Pittsburgh Recording???

Fri May 08, 2009 8:55 pm

Think more talented.

Re: New Pittsburgh Recording???

Fri May 08, 2009 8:58 pm

Getting closer -- was Shaver there that night?

Re: New Pittsburgh Recording???

Fri May 08, 2009 9:00 pm

Ok, I'm game...Bob Heis?

Re: New Pittsburgh Recording???

Fri May 08, 2009 9:02 pm

Scott Hayward wrote:Ok, I'm game...Bob Heis?

Bingo!

Re: New Pittsburgh Recording???

Fri May 08, 2009 9:09 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Scott Hayward wrote:Ok, I'm game...Bob Heis?

Bingo!

What do I win?! :P

Re: New Pittsburgh Recording???

Fri May 08, 2009 11:46 pm

Hi,

i have the FTD/ALS/RTTR pressings, i will check them in the next days on Soundforge like i did for Adios/Final Farewell...

See You

Vince

PS : Doc, what were the "mastering errors" ? Loud pops, or missing parts ?

Re: New Pittsburgh Recording???

Fri May 08, 2009 11:50 pm

If only a better source for Baltimore, May 29 1977 could be found. Sherrill Nielsen was on fire that night.

Re: New Pittsburgh Recording???

Fri May 08, 2009 11:51 pm

Vince wrote:PS : Doc, what were the "mastering errors" ? Loud pops, or missing parts ?


The only time I've heard it before shelving it for good it had horrible loud pops

Re: New Pittsburgh Recording???

Fri May 08, 2009 11:55 pm

There is a "sizzling" sound heard, among other places, on the early portions of CD1 that were never on the original recording. I've been told it's digital noise.

Re: New Pittsburgh Recording???

Sat May 09, 2009 3:06 am

midnightx wrote:If only a better source for Baltimore, May 29 1977 could be found. Sherrill Nielsen was on fire that night.


Et voila - the boy has not lost his touch eh?

Re: New Pittsburgh Recording???

Sat May 09, 2009 9:30 am

Vince wrote:Hi,

i have the FTD/ALS/RTTR pressings, i will check them in the next days on Soundforge like i did for Adios/Final Farewell...


Yes,..please and let us know bout cuts, edits..etc..

Re: New Pittsburgh Recording???

Sat May 09, 2009 1:53 pm

G.I. Blues wrote:Auld Lang Syne was directly taken from the original LP release called 'Rockin' with Elvis New Year's Eve'. The FTD release contains the same tape source. The sound quality of both releases are (at least to my ears) equal.

A few years ago a different audience recording was released on CD. The title was 'Pittsburgh'76 - Rags To Riches'.
This new source was much better than all previous releases, even though a proper sound work would have been worthwhile.

I've got the original LP 'Rockin' with Elvis New Year's Eve' on the Spirit of America label, and while it for sure is a VERY good audience recording, it nowhere near SBD quality. I have not heard/bought the FTD, as I learned the source for the LP I have was the very source. So a recording that sounds almost as a SBD would be a great improvement, I guess. A "SBD" does not spell "very good sound", but given the quality IS good, it will be an improvement for sure!

Regarding "Auld Lang Syne", could someone offer me a FLAC (lossless) copy of that, with EAC ripping log? Or the silver? If I conclude correctly that it is much better than the Spirit of America LP?

Re: New Pittsburgh Recording???

Sat May 09, 2009 3:39 pm

To my opinion, Auld Lang Syne does not sound better than the original vinyl release, but the tape that was used for the Rags To Riches release does. Unfortunately, the sound engineering wasn't the best. This needs some improvement, as the result would surely be stunning.