Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

New Pittsburgh Recording???

Thu May 07, 2009 4:59 pm

Hi everyone,

just received the following mail and was wondering if anyone had heared about this and if there is a sound sample available:

RECENTLY DISCOVERED RECORDING OF PITTSBURGH 12/31/76!

WE'VE RECENTLY DISCOVERED A COMPLETE AND EXCELLENT QUALITY RECORDING OF THE HISTORIC PITTSBURGH 12/31/76 SHOW! THE ORIGIN OF THIS RECORDING IS A BIT HAZY BUT ITS PURPORTED TO BE AN EXPERIMENT TO RECORD FROM THE SOUNDBOARD, BUT WITH A DIFFERENT SOUND THAN THE USUAL. MY INFORMATION SAYS THIS WAS RECORDED WITH "AUDIENCE MICS" TO GET MORE OF THE REAL FEEL OF THE CONCERT. AND IT DEFINATELY WAS A SUCCESS! THE RESULT IS AN EXCELLENT RECORDING WITH A SOUND THAT WILL MAKE YOU FEEL YOU ARE THERE IN THE ARENA! IT DOESN'T SOUND EXACTLY LIKE YOUR REGULAR SOUNDBOARDS, BUT I CAN ASSURE YOU ITS GREAT! BETTER QUALITY THAN ANY RECORDING OF THIS SHOW I HAVE EVER HEARD! AND THE COMPLETE SHOW IS HERE ON 2 CDs. COMPLETE BAND INTRODUCTIONS,EVERYTHING FROM START TO FINISH! ALMOST 90 MINS! 36 TRACKS!

Re: New Pittsburgh Recording???

Thu May 07, 2009 5:03 pm

How much better can it possibly be? You can't get any better than this little baby.

I'm perfectly happy with what I have.

Thu May 07, 2009 5:06 pm

Rob,

Isn't New Years Eve FTD better than the bootleg?
I don't have the boot but I have the FTD

Thu May 07, 2009 5:12 pm

The boot is better than the FTD -- not even close.

Thu May 07, 2009 5:14 pm

Auld Lang Syne was directly taken from the original LP release called 'Rockin' with Elvis New Year's Eve'. The FTD release contains the same tape source. The sound quality of both releases are (at least to my ears) equal.

A few years ago a different audience recording was released on CD. The title was 'Pittsburgh'76 - Rags To Riches'.
This new source was much better than all previous releases, even though a proper sound work would have been worthwhile.

Thu May 07, 2009 5:22 pm

G.I. Blues wrote:Auld Lang Syne was directly taken from the original LP release called 'Rockin' with Elvis New Year's Eve'. The FTD release contains the same tape source. The sound quality of both releases are (at least to my ears) equal.

Sure...?...On Auld Lang Syne ....Can`t Help... is slightly incomplete in the middle...on the FTD it is complete..

Thu May 07, 2009 5:25 pm

G.I. Blues wrote:Auld Lang Syne was directly taken from the original LP release called 'Rockin' with Elvis New Year's Eve'. The FTD release contains the same tape source. The sound quality of both releases are (at least to my ears) equal.

The FTD has the sizzling sound throughout and was edited quite a bit. The LP or the boot CD I've mentioned makes for a very enjoyable listening experience.

There is nothing equal about them.

Thu May 07, 2009 5:48 pm

G.I. Blues wrote:Hi everyone,

just received the following mail and was wondering if anyone had heared about this and if there is a sound sample available:

WE'VE RECENTLY DISCOVERED A COMPLETE AND EXCELLENT QUALITY RECORDING OF THE HISTORIC PITTSBURGH 12/31/76 SHOW! THE ORIGIN OF THIS RECORDING IS A BIT HAZY BUT ITS PURPORTED TO BE AN EXPERIMENT TO RECORD FROM THE SOUNDBOARD, BUT WITH A DIFFERENT SOUND THAN THE USUAL. MY INFORMATION SAYS THIS WAS RECORDED WITH "AUDIENCE MICS" TO GET MORE OF THE REAL FEEL OF THE CONCERT. AND IT DEFINATELY WAS A SUCCESS! THE RESULT IS AN EXCELLENT RECORDING WITH A SOUND THAT WILL MAKE YOU FEEL YOU ARE THERE IN THE ARENA! IT DOESN'T SOUND EXACTLY LIKE YOUR REGULAR SOUNDBOARDS, BUT I CAN ASSURE YOU ITS GREAT! BETTER QUALITY THAN ANY RECORDING OF THIS SHOW I HAVE EVER HEARD! AND THE COMPLETE SHOW IS HERE ON 2 CDs. COMPLETE BAND INTRODUCTIONS,EVERYTHING FROM START TO FINISH! ALMOST 90 MINS! 36 TRACKS!

:arrow: it looks like Larry Patrick :!:

Thu May 07, 2009 6:08 pm

Now I'm confused.
Some say the FTD is equal to the boot, some say it's not.
Some say there's another source called Rags to riches and it sounds better than both the FTD and ALS.

Thu May 07, 2009 6:17 pm

tcb4 wrote:

Wow, that's a swindler I haven't heard of in many years. Is he still "in business"? That's one to stay very clear of. As far as the double CD set goes, it would be an interesting listen if this were true, but it's probably not. I guess in due time we'll all know.

Thu May 07, 2009 6:36 pm

javilu wrote:Now I'm confused.
Some say there's another source called Rags to riches and it sounds better than both the FTD and ALS.

Don't be confused. I've heard them all and I'd never lie to you.

I'd cut my own arm off first.

Thu May 07, 2009 6:43 pm

Rob wrote:
javilu wrote:Now I'm confused.

Don't be confused. I've heard them all and I'd never lie to you.

I'd cut my own arm off first.

Then I'll have to find the ALS boot and sell my FTD in ebay.
Thanks Rob!

Thu May 07, 2009 6:46 pm

RCsun wrote:
tcb4 wrote:

Wow, that's a swindler I haven't heard of in many years. Is he still "in business"? That's one to stay very clear of. As far as the double CD set goes, it would be an interesting listen if this were true, but it's probably not. I guess in due time we'll all know.

I was about to say the same thing. It's got the Arkansas Con Man written all over it.

Thu May 07, 2009 6:47 pm

javilu wrote:Then I'll have to find the ALS boot and sell my FTD in ebay.
Thanks Rob!

I'm not recommending that you ditch the FTD. I'm just saying that there is a much better recording available. I still have the FTD (though I never listen to it).

That's up to you though.

Thu May 07, 2009 6:48 pm

Rob wrote:
javilu wrote:Then I'll have to find the ALS boot and sell my FTD in ebay.
Thanks Rob!

I'm not recommending that you ditch the FTD. I'm just saying that there is a much better recording available. I still have the FTD (though I never listen to it).

That's up to you though.

Thanks Rob, but I hate duplication.
That's why I became an Elvis fan. :wink:

Thu May 07, 2009 7:06 pm

The sound is slightly better, IIRC. But nowhere near a soundboard or a booth recording. To my ears it did sound like a different source aud recording. My copy had some mastering errors and I returned it to the seller for a different product. This was a couple years ago. So this has apparently been "floating around" out there for quite some time.

Thu May 07, 2009 7:08 pm

fecc-mechanic wrote:The sound is slightly better, IIRC. But nowhere near a soundboard or a booth recording. To my ears it did sound like a different source aud recording. My copy had some mastering errors and I returned it to the seller for a different product. This was a couple years ago. So this has apparently been "floating around" out there for quite some time.

hi Jordan!
Are you talking about ALS or RTR?

Thu May 07, 2009 7:16 pm

javilu wrote:
fecc-mechanic wrote:The sound is slightly better, IIRC. But nowhere near a soundboard or a booth recording. To my ears it did sound like a different source aud recording. My copy had some mastering errors and I returned it to the seller for a different product. This was a couple years ago. So this has apparently been "floating around" out there for quite some time.

hi Jordan!

Hi Javilu!
Oops, I was referring to this "New Source" that "G.I. Blues" is talking about.

Thu May 07, 2009 7:17 pm

fecc-mechanic wrote:
javilu wrote:

hi Jordan!

Hi Javilu!

So it's not something new?
What's the name of the cd?

Thu May 07, 2009 7:33 pm

fecc-mechanic wrote:
javilu wrote:

hi Jordan!

Hi Javilu!

Jordan, is this the tape that has two guys talking back and forth, at various points? During Funny How Time Slips Away, one tells the other about Elvis changing outfits in Pontiac. One of the guys keeps yelling requests, and Elvis obliges a couple of times. Does this ring a bell?

I no longer have my copy. Tape player ate it. But, I bought it back in the 80s from our friend in Conway.

Thu May 07, 2009 7:57 pm

elvisjock wrote:
fecc-mechanic wrote:
javilu wrote:

hi Jordan!

Hi Javilu!

Jordan, is this the tape that has two guys talking back and forth, at various points? During Funny How Time Slips Away, one tells the other about Elvis changing outfits in Pontiac. One of the guys keeps yelling requests, and Elvis obliges a couple of times. Does this ring a bell?

I no longer have my copy. Tape player ate it. But, I bought it back in the 80s from our friend in Conway.

Yes, that does sound familiar elvisjock. I recall there being more "Talk" from the 2 guys, especially before 'Rags to Riches' IIRC.
Javi --- I don't recall the title of the CD (it was actually CDR's) as it was only in my possession for less than 2 days before I returned it due to it having the above mentioned errors.

Thu May 07, 2009 8:23 pm

Rob wrote:

The FTD has the sizzling sound throughout and was edited quite a bit. The LP or the boot CD I've mentioned makes for a very enjoyable listening experience.

There is nothing equal about them.

What was edited out on FTD....do you remember?

Thu May 07, 2009 8:30 pm

Someone else will have to help you out on this. I listened to it when it came out and haven't heard it since.

Thu May 07, 2009 8:39 pm

fecc-mechanic wrote:
elvisjock wrote:
fecc-mechanic wrote:
javilu wrote:

hi Jordan!

Hi Javilu!

Yes, that does sound familiar elvisjock. I recall there being more "Talk" from the 2 guys, especially before 'Rags to Riches' IIRC.
Javi --- I don't recall the title of the CD (it was actually CDR's) as it was only in my possession for less than 2 days before I returned it due to it having the above mentioned errors.

Early in the show, Elvis says, "I've seen you before, somewhere." He was talking to one of these guys. The guy later says, "He said I've seen YOU before somewhere! He knows me!"

And btw, the quality was in no way, shape or form close to a soundboard. It was better in some places than the Herman tape, and worse in others. The first 15 or 20 minutes of the recording are very heavy on the bass, distractingly so.

Thu May 07, 2009 8:46 pm

And btw, the quality was in no way, shape or form close to a soundboard. It was better in some places than the Herman tape, and worse in others. The first 15 or 20 minutes of the recording are very heavy on the bass, distractingly so.

Yep, that is the recording.. And I agree it doesn't even come close to a soundboard.