Question about Aloha and the countries that saw it?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
brian
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Question about Aloha and the countries that saw it?

Post by brian »

Hi everyone

Is has been reported that 40 countries saw Aloha from Hawaii

I have seen the photo from the Aloha press conference where Elvis is standing in front of a backdrop where all the countries that Aloha was to be broadcast in are written on hats but I can only make out some of the countries.

I know Aloha was seen in the U.S., The Phillipines, Japan, Denmark, Germany, Austria and several other countries but don't know all 40 countries it was shown in

Does anyone know all 40 countries it was shown in in 1973 and could you please list them
or does anyone know of a website that lists all 40 countries

thanks in advance

T-R-O-U-B-L-E

Re: Question about Aloha and the countries that saw it?

Post by T-R-O-U-B-L-E »

Japan, Philippines, South Korea, South Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, USA (April 1973), Israel, Morocco, Turkey, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway, The Netherlands, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Andorra, Austria, Switzerland, West Germany, Greece, Belgium, Luxembourg, England, Ireland, ...

The European countries were delayed 1 day to the original broadcast so they also could get Elvis on "prime time TV" the following evening.

Still a couple more countries to go...

jessewade
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by jessewade »

Does someone have the precise dates of broadcast in every country ? Which country could see it live ???
I know that here in France it was broadcasted on friday may 11th 1973.

MEMBER BANNED FOREVER FOR MAKING RACIST/ANTISEMETIC ATTACKS AGAINST ANOTHER MEMBER.

T-R-O-U-B-L-E

Post by T-R-O-U-B-L-E »

To JessWade

When it was broadcast on May 11, 1973 in France it possibly was a re-run.
The European countries got the original broadcast on the evening of January 14, 1973. When the special was aired from H.I.C. it was January 13, 1973 in Europe, so it was slightly delayed, that the Europeans could see it on their prime time (evening) TV.

The only countries, able to catch the special live in real time most probably were the Philippines, Japan, South Korea, South Vietnam, Malaysia, Thailand and probably Australia and New Zealand.
Although communist China did not participate in the broadcast, as far as I am informed, some Southern Chinese TV viewers still were able to catch the special from Japanese TV stations.

OnTourCam
Registered for: 21 years

Post by OnTourCam »

I would love to know how many countries kept a off air recording of this avent

we are sill waiting to see a master copy of Japanese version which is far more interesting.

It's been said there was also different mixes of camera angles for other countries aswell

jessewade
Banned
Banned

Post by jessewade »

T-R-O-U-B-L-E wrote:To JessWade

No it was the first broadcast and not a re-run :wink: I heard that the special was shown in Great Britain ,only months later, is that true ?

MEMBER BANNED FOREVER FOR MAKING RACIST/ANTISEMETIC ATTACKS AGAINST ANOTHER MEMBER.

Topic author
brian

Post by brian »

jessewade wrote:
T-R-O-U-B-L-E wrote:To JessWade

No it was the first broadcast and not a re-run :wink: I heard that the special was shown in Great Britain ,only months later, is that true ?
I heard that Britain didn't see Aloha

it was only broadcast there after Elvis died in 1978

Lennart
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by Lennart »

It was shown on swedish television, channel 2, on january the 20:th, at 9 pm.

Lennart

T-R-O-U-B-L-E

Post by T-R-O-U-B-L-E »

Check out the hats on the September 4, 1972 Press conference.
They clearly show "Great Britain" and "France".
So these countries should have gotten their broadcast of the event that one day delayed.

Vince
Registered for: 17 years

Post by Vince »

Hi,

the french INA (national french TV & radio archives) had for sure the tape used for the french broadcast with the date of every broadcast.

See You

Vince

Suspicious Minds
Registered for: 17 years

Post by Suspicious Minds »

I don't think the UK got to see Aloha From Hawaii.
I don't remember seeing it advertised in the TV books in1973.
I think the UK fans were cheated out of this historic Elvis TV Special.
When it was shown in 1978 I think they dropped 2 or 3 songs from this show.
Why couldn't they show the full show?
The UK fans are the most loyal.
The poorer countries got to see the show but the UK TV stations were tight with their money.

Frank

Every man has a Flaming Star

ImageImageImage

sireltonjohn
Registered for: 16 years

Post by sireltonjohn »

The uk missed out, even in 1987 for ten years after, the BBC showed the version where Trilogy ends before the "Hush little baby" part.

jessewade
Banned
Banned

Post by jessewade »

Some interesting facts found in elvis monthly 1999 ( august 1976 ) "aloha and mahalo from Hawaii in 1973 "( Anne Nixon ) :

"Countries viewing the shows "live" were : JAPAN - PHILLIPINNES- AUSTRALIA - NEW ZEALAND - KOREA - THAILAND - SOUTH VIETNAM with some viewers in mainland CHINA being able to prick the transmission up .
In the weeks following the "live " show many nations in Europe were screening an edited version of "aloha from Hawaii" . French radio Europe N°1 got it first with a broadcast on tuesday january 16 of the entire show
First TV screening came on 20TH January for viewers in SWEDEN and DENMARK
21st JANUARY : BELGIUM , followed by GERMANY on 12th march , HOLLAND on 21st April , SPAIN at the end of April and FRANCE on may 11th .
The major exception was Britain . it seems that Parker upped the price to a ridiculous $ 50 000 for british screening rights and neither the BBC nor the comercial TVs would pay that sum . It was a slaps in the face for the loyal British fans . "
( 1978 is the correct date of broadcast for GB )
I have 2 questions : why was the special broadcasted in the USA 3 months after its original "live" run ?
We are always told that at least 1 billion people saw the show but are we talking of the live broadcast on january 14th or of all the different dates of broadcast ?????

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

Well I don't know where Elvis Monthly got it facts from but I can assure all that it was not shown live in New Zealand!

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

Francesc

Post by Francesc »

It was a great accomplishment ... im sure but the 1 billion is just not possible. i hope they dont count USA or th eother countries that was not live.

Francesc

Post by Francesc »

KiwiAlan wrote:Well I don't know where Elvis Monthly got it facts from but I can assure all that it was not shown live in New Zealand!
:roll: finally, it is going to be a couple of lost islands the middle of the PacificOcean ....

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

The so called audience of one billion is just PR hype!

1973 World Population 4 billion
Less China and India now 2 billion
Only 40 out of 196 countries presented the show.

At a stretch the program might have been available for viewing by 1 billion but that assumes everybody who could watch the show did - the infants, the deaf, the blind and the gaga!

Did Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos have a truce for the telecast which as you should know was slap bang in the Vietnam War :D

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by rickeap »

i recall watching it while on holidays in Melbourne which would have been in January so i assume it was live.
I wasn't a fan at the time (I started a year later) but my family had it on TV

jessewade
Banned
Banned

Post by jessewade »

Francesc wrote:It was a great accomplishment ... im sure but the 1 billion is just not possible. i hope they dont count USA or th eother countries that was not live.
Even by counting these countries I'm not sure the 1 billion viewers could be reached ....???

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

jessewade wrote:We are always told that at least 1 billion people saw the show but are we talking of the live broadcast on january 14th or of all the different dates of broadcast ?????
I reckon they looked at all the countries who had 'signed up' to broadcast the live show.

Then they added together the total viewers from those countries.

The total was 1 billion potential viewers.

Of course, come the day, some weren't tuned in to the Aloha show, some weren't watching tv at all.

Somehow, the word 'potential' got dropped and the '1 billion' figure was bandied about willy nilly.

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Topic author
brian

Post by brian »

interesting that Korea saw it

I've never heard much about Elvis fanbase or popularity in Korea

Does anyone know if Elvis received any offers to play in Korea?

Jim Dandy
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by Jim Dandy »

rickeap wrote:i recall watching it while on holidays in Melbourne which would have been in January so i assume it was live.
I wasn't a fan at the time (I started a year later) but my family had it on TV
Hi Rick, I presume you are the Victorian from the old Scheff Diner days? Evan here.
I can assure you it was aired in Sydney at 9.30pm on "Channel 9 - 1973: the place the be", and the advertisement (dated 1
January 1973 for the following evening) used is a full body length shot of EP whereing the Concha suit from August 1970 with his guitar and microphone on it's stand.
I will post a copy if I can find the bugger.

I'm the man downstairs with the long bushy hair!

Topic author
brian

Post by brian »

jessewade wrote:Some interesting facts found in elvis monthly 1999 ( august 1976 ) "aloha and mahalo from Hawaii in 1973 "( Anne Nixon ) :

"Countries viewing the shows "live" were : JAPAN - PHILLIPINNES- AUSTRALIA - NEW ZEALAND - KOREA - THAILAND - SOUTH VIETNAM with some viewers in mainland CHINA being able to prick the transmission up .
In the weeks following the "live " show many nations in Europe were screening an edited version of "aloha from Hawaii" . French radio Europe N°1 got it first with a broadcast on tuesday january 16 of the entire show
First TV screening came on 20TH January for viewers in SWEDEN and DENMARK
21st JANUARY : BELGIUM , followed by GERMANY on 12th march , HOLLAND on 21st April , SPAIN at the end of April and FRANCE on may 11th .
The major exception was Britain . it seems that Parker upped the price to a ridiculous $ 50 000 for british screening rights and neither the BBC nor the comercial TVs would pay that sum . It was a slaps in the face for the loyal British fans . "
( 1978 is the correct date of broadcast for GB )
I have 2 questions : why was the special broadcasted in the USA 3 months after its original "live" run ?
We are always told that at least 1 billion people saw the show but are we talking of the live broadcast on january 14th or of all the different dates of broadcast ?????
I would guess everybody in the U.S. saw it in April because NBC had an opening in their schedule then
When they say 1 billion viewers they don't mean live, they mean if you take all the countries that saw it live
then the European countries that saw it a couple days later on tape delay and then the U.S. audience in April that would total 1 billion viewers.

Kristian Hjelmaas
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Kristian Hjelmaas »

Aloha from Hawaii via Satellite was definately not broadcasted live to Norway.
And I don't think it was broadcasted delayed the next day either.

Fellow Norwegians of this board, old enough to have had the opportunity to watch this pivotal moment in TV history back then;
When exactly was the show broadcasted for the first time in Norway, and what version was shown?
The edited and extended US version, or...?

Br
Kristian

jessewade
Banned
Banned

Post by jessewade »

ColinB wrote:
jessewade wrote:We are always told that at least 1 billion people saw the show but are we talking of the live broadcast on january 14th or of all the different dates of broadcast ?????
I reckon they looked at all the countries who had 'signed up' to broadcast the live show.

Then they added together the total viewers from those countries.

The total was 1 billion potential viewers.

Of course, come the day, some weren't tuned in to the Aloha show, some weren't watching tv at all.

Somehow, the word 'potential' got dropped and the '1 billion' figure was bandied about willy nilly.
You're right colin
It is still a great achievement but losing a bit of the " global live " idea changes things a little