Post here your Elvis' pictures

Re: INTERNATIONAL HOTEL 1969

Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:45 am

bripet56 wrote:E-Cat, the photo of Elvis in the plane shows him in a brown shirt type of thing with three buttons in front. Same one he wore when meeting Tom Jones.

Then the picture is likely from June when he used Kerkorian's plane to fly to Vegas where he also met Tom Jones. Borsari took some pictures of Tom and Elvis who was wearing a similar (but 5 buttons) brown shirt.

bripet56 wrote:I also think that it's most logic that the photos in the brown suit are from attending the Barbara Streisand show. So now we just gotta find out when Elvis went to see Streisand..

July 30 (See also Day By Day):

In Las Vegas, Elvis and Priscilla attended Miss Streisand's closing show at the International. Afterwards,they met with her backstage

Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:51 am

E-Cat wrote:
bripet56 wrote:E-Cat, the photo of Elvis in the plane shows him in a brown shirt type of thing with three buttons in front. Same one he wore when meeting Tom Jones.

Then the picture is likely from June when he used Kerkorian's plane to fly to Vegas where he also met Tom Jones. Borsari took some pictures of Tom and Elvis who was wearing a similar (but 5 buttons) brown shirt.

bripet56 wrote:I also think that it's most logic that the photos in the brown suit are from attending the Barbara Streisand show. So now we just gotta find out when Elvis went to see Streisand..

In Las Vegas, Elvis and Priscilla attended Miss Streisand's closing show at the International. Afterwards,they met with her backstage

If Elvis saw Barbara's show exactly one day before he opened, that might explain his very uneasy, restless look in those photos.

Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:36 am

E-Cat wrote:

E-Cat, I don't know where you found that mention but it's gotta be wrong as Streisand's closing show was on July 28 according to Day-by-Day.
So the photos would have to be from between July 24 when Elvis started his rehearsals in Vegas and July 28 when Streisand closed at the International Hotel.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:33 am

bripet56 wrote:E-Cat, I don't know where you found that mention but it's gotta be wrong as Streisand's closing show was on July 28 according to Day-by-Day.

I don't think my info is wrong but very much in line with Barbra Archives (see link below). Barbra performed at the International from July 2 - 30 (so she did not closed at the 28th as suggested).

See also : Barbra Archives : http://barbra-archives.com/live/60s/int ... isand.html

Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:48 am

OK, thanks E-Cat. I only went by Day-by-Day but I'd think the Barbra Streisand Archives would know when she appeared at the International Hotel.

Was the July 30th date just a guess of yours or do you have any "hidden knowledge" about the date??

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:00 am

That Streisand website is an unofficial entity.

It does not stand to reason that Elvis would have less than one day to prepare the stage, musicians, orchestra and associated hardware for his opening performance.

If Streisand closes on July 28, that allows almost 3 full days before his 10:00 PM OS on July 31.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:31 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:The Streisand website is an unofficial entitiy.

It does not stand to reason that Elvis would have less than one day to prepare the stage, musicians, orchestra and associated hardware for his opening performance.

If Streisand closed on August 28, that allows almost 3 full days before his 10:00 PM OS on July 31.

Doc, I take it you mean July 28th not August 28th, in regards to when Streisand closed?

Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:54 am

Joe Car wrote:Doc, I take it you mean July 28th not August 28th, in regards to when Streisand closed?

Yes, thank you. Some people have intelligence and class -- you are one of those people.

Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:00 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Some people have intelligence and class -- you are one of those people.

:smt005 :smt005 :smt005

Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:16 am

bripet56 wrote:OK, thanks E-Cat. I only went by Day-by-Day but I'd think the Barbra Streisand Archives would know when she appeared at the International Hotel.
Was the July 30th date just a guess of yours or do you have any "hidden knowledge" about the date??

Anyone could have find this information:

It is a no secret that Elvis attended Barbra's closing night show. Even her own official website mentions that songs were recorded on July 30th - see below:

drjohncarpenter wrote:That Streisand website is an unofficial entity.

Have you checked out her official website ?

...the Medley: "Hello, Dolly!"/"Before The Parade Passes By"/"So Long Dearie" was recorded at the International Hotel, Las Vegas, 7/30/69!

Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:32 am

E-Cat wrote:
bripet56 wrote:OK, thanks E-Cat. I only went by Day-by-Day but I'd think the Barbra Streisand Archives would know when she appeared at the International Hotel.

Anyone could have find this information:

It is a no secret that Elvis attended Barbra's closing night show. Even her own official website mentions that songs were recorded on July 30th - see below:

drjohncarpenter wrote:That Streisand website is an unofficial entity.

Have you checked out her official website ?

...the Medley: "Hello, Dolly!"/"Before The Parade Passes By"/"So Long Dearie" was recorded at the International Hotel, Las Vegas, 7/30/69!

Whoosh!

Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:53 am

E-Cat wrote:Have you checked out her official website ?

I'm not a Streisand fan, so I have no idea what the address might be. Would you post it?

Regardless, we all know from experience with Elvis Presley's internet presence that even official websites make errors. It's possible the official Barbra site copied the erroneous data from the other one.

What makes Guralnick and Jorgensen's Day By Day compelling is much of the material is based on documentation from EPE archives.

Also note that work by authors like Guralnick and Nash, among others, states Elvis may have seen more than one Streisand performance, and that neither date has been definitely identified.

Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:24 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:I'm not a Streisand fan, so I have no idea what the address might be. Would you post it?
I am no Streisand fan either, but here is the link: htp://www.barbrastreisand.com/index.php?page=tv60
drjohncarpenter wrote:Regardless, we all know from experience with Elvis Presley's internet presence that even official websites make errors. It's possible the official Barbra site copied the erroneous data from the other one.
Very unlikely, one may assume that THE official Barbra Streisand website would know when Barbra performed at the Hilton in 1969 and know the recording date of her July 30th performance at the Hilton in LV ?
drjohncarpenter wrote: Also note that work by authors like Guralnick and Nash, among others, states Elvis may have seen more than one Streisand performance, and that neither date has been definitely identified.

Where is Guralnick stating this ?

Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:12 am

E-Cat wrote:Very unlikely, one may assume that THE official Barbra Streisand website would know when Barbra performed at the Hilton in 1969 and know the recording date of her July 30th performance at the Hilton in LV ?

My point is that if other official sites can make mistakes, and they do, so can Streisand's.

E-Cat wrote:Where is Guralnick stating this ?

Careless Love endnotes.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:38 am

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Doesn't this document confirm the July 30th date. And didn't Nancy Sinatra open the day after Elvis closed in 1969. Last time I checked Elvis performed at the International for 29 days (July 31-August 28). If Streisand opened on July 2 and closed on July 30 = 29 days as well. For simple math there's 31 days in July - 2 days (July 1 and July 31) = 29 days.

What I find most interesting is that Ed Sullivan flew in from Europe to tape Streisand's closing show for a potential television special and a segment on his variety show and seemingly failed to capture anything regarding Elvis' opening the following night. It would be interesting to see the entire closing show from Ms. Streisand, as I'm sure somewhere in her closing show, she must have either introduced Elvis in the audience or made passing mention that Elvis was opening tomorrow night. What bothers me the most is that television production cameras were in place less than twenty-four hours before Elvis' opening night and nothing has ever surfaced either audio or visual from the show or the press conference. Given the history Elvis had with Sullivan in 1956-57, you would think Sullivan would have worked something out with the Colonel, whether it be a clip of the press conference or something.

phpBB [video]

I'm curious as to whether Andrew Solt has Ms. Streisand's closing show in his archives, given that he owns the rights to the Ed Sullivan Show archives.

Daryl

Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:24 pm

Daryl wrote:What I find most interesting is that Ed Sullivan flew in from Europe to tape Streisand's closing show for a potential television special and a segment on his variety show and seemingly failed to capture anything regarding Elvis' opening the following night. It would be interesting to see the entire closing show from Ms. Streisand, as I'm sure somewhere in her closing show, she must have either introduced Elvis in the audience or made passing mention that Elvis was opening tomorrow night. What bothers me the most is that television production cameras were in place less than twenty-four hours before Elvis' opening night and nothing has ever surfaced either audio or visual from the show or the press conference.

It does not seem absurd to imagine the cameras remained in place on 7-31-1969. As to when they might have been turned on, that remains a mystery to many.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:18 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Daryl wrote:What I find most interesting is that Ed Sullivan flew in from Europe to tape Streisand's closing show for a potential television special and a segment on his variety show and seemingly failed to capture anything regarding Elvis' opening the following night. It would be interesting to see the entire closing show from Ms. Streisand, as I'm sure somewhere in her closing show, she must have either introduced Elvis in the audience or made passing mention that Elvis was opening tomorrow night. What bothers me the most is that television production cameras were in place less than twenty-four hours before Elvis' opening night and nothing has ever surfaced either audio or visual from the show or the press conference.

It does not seem absurd to imagine the cameras remained in place on 7-31-1969. As to when they might have been turned on, that remains a mystery to many.

Wow.

I can't believe I never knew that Streisand's closing show was recorded on camera. Is the footage in that YouTube video that very concert?

Amazing to think just a couple of nights after that, is the holy grail of Elvis concerts. I just pray that those cameras stayed in place and captured it, would be the find of the century.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:58 am

Good Time Charlie wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:It does not seem absurd to imagine the cameras remained in place on 7-31-1969. As to when they might have been turned on, that remains a mystery to many.

Wow.

I can't believe I never knew that Streisand's closing show was recorded on camera. Is the footage in that YouTube video that very concert?

Amazing to think just a couple of nights after that, is the holy grail of Elvis concerts. I just pray that those cameras stayed in place and captured it, would be the find of the century.

The video is from that International concert, it was broadcast in September 1969, IIRC.

As for the date, well, either a couple of nights later or the very next evening depending on which source you choose to believe.

What makes a 7-30-1969 closing date seem absurd for Streisand is that means Presley's entire show had less than 22 hours to set in place all musicians, singers and orchestra, do two or three full dress rehearsals, before the official opening show.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:17 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Good Time Charlie wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:It does not seem absurd to imagine the cameras remained in place on 7-31-1969. As to when they might have been turned on, that remains a mystery to many.

Wow.

The video is from that International concert, it was broadcast in September 1969, IIRC.

As for the date, well, either a couple of nights later or the very next evening depending on which source you choose to believe.

What makes a 7-30-1969 closing date seem absurd for Streisand is that means Presley's entire show had less than 22 hours to set in place all musicians, singers and orchestra, do two or three full dress rehearsals, before the official opening show.

This is very exciting! :o Surely, the closing night of her gig is known somewhere. They must have sites around that list her dates.

From Wikipedia: "1969 International Hotel Jul. 2 - 30" There it is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Barbra_Streisand_concert_tours_and_live_performances#The_1960s

Also, http://barbra-archives.com/live/60s/international_hotel_streisand.html

From a calandar site, July 30, 1969, came out on a Wednesday. Now, does this mean that after midnight, "Tuesday," which would then actually be Wednesday, was her closing show? In other words, EARLY Wednesday morning, at midnight, July 30, 1969? Or the next day? I don't think so, because they say she stayed up on Monday night, rearranging her show so that it could start at 2:30 AM the following "night." This would be 2:30 AM, Wednesday morning, July 30, 1969. So, Elvis had some time. Ed ALSO had enough time to keep the cameras there in time to catch something of Elvis on Thursday, late. It's hard to imagine he would not want to; "Elvis" was one of the crowning achievements of his career, a landmark. Even when the Beatles were on, Ed read a telegram from "Elvis and the Colonel." So, why would this wonderful coincidence of his cameras being right there and then, when Elvis opened, fly right past him? That's kind of hard to believe. He MUST have contacted the Colonel. He must have.

If it was close, the only reason Ed would have taken everything out is if the Col. ticked him off. Ed knew, surely, that this was Elvis Presley's Comeback concert. I would think HE would make an overture. And I'd bet good money the Col. turned him down. They were re-running the '68 Special in August. I don't think the Col. wanted another TV appearance of any kind. In fact, the show was not audio-taped, nor was the press conference. It was super-secret. :roll:

A clue is in Elvis's monologues. When he claims Ed stood on the side and said "sumb***h." And Elvis told the crowds "I thought he was nice." I guess maybe THIS is what he was talking about, perhaps not knowing Ed's side of the story.

But, you never know what's sitting on a dusty back shelf in the Sullivan archives, forgotten. You just never know. This is an interesting avenue of archaeology! If Mr. Jørgenson is looking in . . . hmmm. That's even more mouth-watering than this week's turkey dinner!* :D

rjm
*For those from outside the U.S., you may have heard it's Thanksgiving week over here. Turkeys, corn, stuffing, sweet potato pie, family reunions, the Macy's Day Parade. But Opening Night?! I would REALLY give thanks for THAT!!!

Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:19 am

I have Elvis & Priscilla attending Streisand's show on July 28th, where Elvis makes the comment "Helluva' big stage to fill" (or something along these lines). Although "Day By Day" has is dated as July 25th which I believe to be incorrect. The invitation to the Nancy Sinatra show I have as August 29th.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:36 am

rjm wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The video is from that International concert, it was broadcast in September 1969, IIRC.

This is very exciting! :o Surely, the closing night of her gig is known somewhere. They must have sites around that list her dates.

From Wikipedia: "1969 International Hotel Jul. 2 - 30" There it is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Barbra_Streisand_concert_tours_and_live_performances#The_1960s

Also, http://barbra-archives.com/live/60s/international_hotel_streisand.html

From a calandar site, July 30, 1969, came out on a Wednesday. Now, does this mean that after midnight, "Tuesday," which would then actually be Wednesday, was her closing show?

If Streisand's last day at the International was 7-30-1969, her late show finished in the early hours of 7-31-1969.

This is why a closing date of 7-28 or 7-29 makes more sense, it leaves more time for all the Presley show preparation and the multiple full dress rehearsals they went through before the 10pm opener on Thursday, 7-31-1969.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:21 am

Thanks, Elvisa! I love those pics. If I were an ETA, I'd wear that instead of a jumpsuit...but not before fasting for two weeks :D