Post here your Elvis' pictures

Re: Now the stage is low!

Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:07 am

DarrylMac wrote:Frankie, I have another one for you. During that Promised Land scene, I'm sure we see Elvis enter the stage up some stairs on the side of the stage wearing the Burning Love suit. Hampton Roads maybe, as it seems a similar entrance.

As in this view here?

Well, Darryl, it isn't a Hampton Roads show entry because 1) this stage has wooden handrails and Hampton Roads had thin metal handrails visible in the Blue Nail footage, and 2) Hampton Roads had a RH side stage entry setup.... whereas if you play and watch this short piece of footage, Elvis takes to the stage from the back, not the side. He walks right beside the horn section as he tops the stairs.

Is it Little Rock? I'd love it if it were; my "gut reaction" is telling me it probably is. This clip does sort of mesh, sequence-wise, as a logical extension of what we see at the first of EOT after the 2001 intro when he goes through the curtain to the stage. Hopefully I'll find out more when I go to Little Rock on March 19 for the Coliseum tour. The brick wall seen in the clip above (and the retaining wall visiblean instant later on as seen below) may be a distinguishing clue as to the location of this footage.

We shall see what we shall see.... :D

Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:54 am

THanks Frankie,

I was going by memory, as I hadn't seen it in a while, but did remember the sequence, and remember being curious about it's location.

Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:05 pm

FrankieRider2 wrote:
AARRGGHH! You DOG! Man, I Googled and Yahooed, and everything else I could think of for "Buffalo, New York" trying to find that logo and got squat.... hats off to you, my friend.

Well Frankie, I thought the letters below the word Buffalo in your photo looked like it started with "BRA" and although I don't know the least about the Buffalo Braves I have heard the name and when I googled it this was the first result I got. Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes you're not :lol:

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:43 pm

FrankieRider2 wrote:
DarrylMac wrote:Frankie, I have another one for you. During that Promised Land scene, I'm sure we see Elvis enter the stage up some stairs on the side of the stage wearing the Burning Love suit. Hampton Roads maybe, as it seems a similar entrance.

As in this view here?

Well, Darryl, it isn't a Hampton Roads show entry because 1) this stage has wooden handrails and Hampton Roads had thin metal handrails visible in the Blue Nail footage, and 2) Hampton Roads had a RH side stage entry setup.... whereas if you play and watch this short piece of footage, Elvis takes to the stage from the back, not the side. He walks right beside the horn section as he tops the stairs.

Is it Little Rock? I'd love it if it were; my "gut reaction" is telling me it probably is. This clip does sort of mesh, sequence-wise, as a logical extension of what we see at the first of EOT after the 2001 intro when he goes through the curtain to the stage. Hopefully I'll find out more when I go to Little Rock on March 19 for the Coliseum tour. The brick wall seen in the clip above (and the retaining wall visiblean instant later on as seen below) may be a distinguishing clue as to the location of this footage.

We shall see what we shall see.... :D

Frankie,

That's definitely Little Rock. Arkansas!! Look at the ring on his third finger on the right hand. You can see almost this same identical ring in the backstage footage where Joe E. is asking him to sign something and most definitely look at his sideburns (especially the right sideburn).

Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:39 am

Good call, Tony. I don't have EOT on DVD, but I'll check out my videotape.

As someone who attended many concerts in the T.H. Barton Coliseum before the advent of the newer Alltel Arena, that concrete retaining wall visible in the second image looks mighty familiar.

Brian, you're not lucky.... you're skilled. BIG difference.

Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:44 am

FrankieRider2 wrote:Good call, Tony.

Thanks, Frankie. This has been (for me, at least) one of the most educational threads on the boards and I've learned how to identify certain footage that was shot for EOT.

Thanks for making this board a fun place to be, y'all!

Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:47 pm

Tony, I'd be mighty carefull with the "definitely" as Elvis wore those rings at most of the shows on the tour and the sideburns looks identical to the Richmond show as well.

Hopefully FrankieRider2 can come up with some good photos from Little Rock so we can nail this footage as well.

Just bought me a copy of TIE and just had to do some screen-caps for you to enjoy.

Sincerely
Brian

Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:28 pm

If you don't mind I'd like to go back to the Blue Nail suit again and the footage where Elvis runs to the car after the show.

Well, we did find out that the footage where he jumped into the car was from Buffalo. No question about that. Original belt and the sign in the background were the clues.

However, the footage preceeding this is NOT from Buffalo as Elvis wears the Firework belt as can be seen in photos below. If you look at the policemen in the photo you see they wear dark shirts. In Knoxville as well as Indianapolis we can see policemen sitting in front of the stage wearing light-coloured shirts. So does this indicate that this "running" footage is from Hampton??

Sincerely
Brian

Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:49 pm

Brian, thank you for uploading those screen caps! Good to see Vern waiting in the car for his boy to come out from the Veterans Memorial Coliseum, after the afternoon gig in Jacksonville (April 16th '72)! At least Presley was shot (photographed) for the iconic Madison Square Garden alblum cover, during that gigs outting of C. C. Rider! Man, this subject is getting more interesting. Thank you to all, thus far! Cheers!

Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:45 am

Brian, the screen captures above are obviously from the same venue because all the clothes match up on the police and Elvis' guys in both images. However, I don't believe the running footage to be from Hampton and here's two reasons why:

1) The direction they run from does not match the Hampton Roads exit; Elvis left the stage from the RH side at HR.... this rush comes from what would looks to be the LH side of the stage instead. Is that "halo" right above in the long distance shot perhaps an MGM cameraman filming the exit from the reverse angle? If it were, that footage would tell us a lot.

2) Here's a B&W shot from HR:

Now, go back to your close-up screen capture above. Look much further down the suit is unzipped in the B&W image above; at Hampton Roads, Elvis was pretty much "showing the goods". In your screen shot, you can see that the suit is open down to just past the fourth grommet. At HR, the suit was unzipped to the bottom of the fifth grommet as seen above in the photo.

So I don't think that sequence is from Hampton Roads. Just my opinion of course. Anybody else, chime in here....

Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:53 am

Frankie, I believe Presley entered and exited the same door in that dres
-sing room! I wonder where that limo shot was taken? Bring on the DVD!

Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:53 am

bripet56 wrote:Tony, I'd be mighty carefull with the "definitely" as Elvis wore those rings at most of the shows on the tour and the sideburns looks identical to the Richmond show as well.

Brian,

Ok...well...could it be from Richmond, VA then? :P :wink:

Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:31 am

funky, no idea on the limo footage. It isn't from Little Rock, as Elvis did not stay in the downtown area but instead stayed just down the street at a motor hotel called The Magnolia Inn. You're correct on the dressing room, though.

The exit sequence as shown in EOT consists of Hampton Roads, Buffalo, Unknown Location, and then the car driving away is Buffalo again. The third part of the sequence (the foot race and into the car) is so fast it's hard to stop-frame it without DVD. Everyone has different attire here than in the second part of the sequence taken in Buffalo. Elvis also gets into a black car, but then a green.black Ford LTD sedan pulls away down the exit ramp.

Here is a photo of the Hampton Coliseum stage set-up:

Elvis' entry and exit point is denoted by the "X". The center floor exit point is clearly visible.... the direction necessary for Elvis and his troupe to exit there would have been right backwards to what we see in the film. Plus, Hampton Coliseum promotes their flat surface "from the load-out area straight to the concert performance floor". In EOT, everyone is very clearly running downhill to get to the exit car.

So where the footage of "the stampede" is from I don't know, but I don't think it's from Hampton Roads.

Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:34 am

Thank you, Frankie! Your (like everyone else) input is truly appreciative :lol:! I'm going to re-watch EOT this week and go through my old notes and see if I can't bring anything else to the already fully - stocked table! That screen grab of Presley running up those stairs on to the (possible) LR stage was awesome, as is Presley diving back into the limo after same gig!
Man, I tell you, everytime EOT gets another look, something else/ new comes alive! Thank god for this forum! Cheers!

Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:13 pm

Not a problem whatsoever. I've been watching EOT as well. I could break down a lot more if I had a DVD. I've seen tons of clues in the past few days. Some of that offstage and setup footage appears to be very telling.

Just to clarify above.... the exit footage at the end of EOT can be identified by some landmarks visible in the footage. In Hampton Roads, Elvis exits right in front of section "L" of the venue; there is a large orange section sign visible during both the entrance and exit sequences. You can check that on Ticketmaster against the floor plan for the Coliseum. It shows the same location....

The actual stage "dismount" is from Buffalo; we've already discussed the belt differences and I have found photos taken inside the Memorial Auditorium concourses where the overhead light fixtures match the ones that are visible on the ceiling in the footage where the woman charges in and grabs Elvis. BTW, this venue is slated for demolition in October of this year.... it was built in 1939 by the WPA.

The green LTD at the end of EOT is the same car that Elvis gets into at the end of the footage used in TIE. Brian posted a great shot of it in his capture above. But in EOT after the "cattle call" stampede, Elvis gets into a black limo which you glimpse for a second or two. Then there is a cut and the footage of the green LTD pulling off down the ramp honking the horn splices in. Is all this any clearer.... or just more muddled?

The trip to Barton Coliseum on Wednesday is going to hopefully be paired with a visit to Robinson Auditorium as well; Elvis played two shows there in May of 1956. I have an "in" there and hopefully this will materialize as part of the trip. If not, I'll cover it at a later date.

Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:37 pm

Just found evidence that the footage where Elvis climbs the stairs to the stage dressed in the Red Matador is NOT from Little Rock.
Well, at least if we agree upon that the footage that started this whole thread actually IS from Little Rock. And I think we agree here.

Look at Joe coming up behind Elvis in a blue shirt in the first photo below and in the Little Rock footage he's in a red t-shirt. So Elvis climbing the stairs is from either Hampton or Richmond.

So now we just gotta figure out if it's from Hampton or Richmond. :lol: :lol:
Man, I love these puzzles :lol:

Sincerely
Brian

Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:22 am

thefunkyangel wrote:Charlie wasn't joking, nor was Lamar! April 17th
'72 Little Rock, Arkansas (T.H Barton Coliseum)
eBay item number: 170202930808 cathielvis :lol:

Since we're keeping all the EOT discussions in one thread and all now.... is this the one we decided on.... or was it the Barton Coliseum thread? :lol:

Someone from this board recently gifted me with the "EOT - Through My Eyes" DVD set (thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you again....) and I was doing some perusing here at 1 AM instead of being asleep.... :)

Now, these two candids above that sold on eBay are from LR....

More proof that MGM was indeed there on that night:

IIRC, we seem to have been in agreement that this footage below is a continuation of the snippet from This Is Elvis showing the entrance at Richmond, VA:

This footage below isn't.... it is from Little Rock. As Elvis walks across the stage you can see people standing next to the "low stage" in the footlights and he goes down on one knee at the side of the stage behind the singers.... as shown in the first eBay shot above.

Naturally, this is quite exciting to me because then you get to this:

Notice the flashbulb nova right around the waist behind him? Well, that correlates to this moment:

Has MGM frozen that moment in time for me and my family.... what do you think.... opinions, please?

Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:35 am

Yes, I tend to have to agree with you on that one, Frankie :lol:!

Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:44 am

It sure looked to be, funky.... I just wanted to share the excitement on my end here! I mean.... really, what are the chances? :lol:

Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:22 am

Sure looks like same moment in time Frankie.

I also just got those Through My Eyes DVD's but haven't had time to sit down and watch them thoroughly.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:32 pm

Brian, it is excellent viewing.... I've seen several things that would have made EOT better had they been included, IMO. But not everything from the movie is on there, so there must be more footage somewhere... :lol:

Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:33 pm

I bet there is still more footage in the vaults somewhere. There's gotta be more than the few seconds of the White Firework suit.

And from our discussions here we've come to learn that Elvis was filmed at many more locations than we knew of before.

And how about the Las Vegas footage on the DVD "Unreleased Outtakes 1." Was that professionally filmed or is that from a private source??

And then theres the camera onstage at MSG and the press conference. How much of that was filmed as well.

Lots of questions yet unanswered.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:19 pm

Just watched "Through My Eyes 2" and found some footage I hadn't seen before.

I made some screen-shots and in the first three shots we see a limousine entering. Anybody recognize the big sign in the background of the first pic?? That would tell us where this footage was shot. In the second we see a policeman and in the third I think that's Red West. I can't make out which suit Elvis wears.

On the DVD the footage continues right over into the next three shots which are from a totally different place. Now we're at an airport and another limousine so probably another city as well.

It seems Elvis was filmed at quite a number of airports as well as entering and leaving arenas and hotels.

Would be nice to get some of these dated as well.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:49 pm

Hey man, thank you for uploading those caps. Is it running at correct speed, or is it slowed down on the count of it being seconds in length? Brian, imagine if we had ALL footage (with/ without audio) on one super - deluxe anthology dvd box set!! Arghhh, we can only live in hope :lol:!

Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:08 pm

Funky, I think the footage is running at correct speed.
While at it I think I'll post another photo which I now believe is from an April 5 rehearsal in Buffalo.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk