Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: MGM -> April 1972 videotape from "This Is Elvis"

Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:31 am

One might have thought that while the concert was filmed with a small video camera for reference they also uplifted a soundboard as well. Perhaps more than one to use for calculating timings and shot plans.

Re: MGM -> April 1972 videotape from "This Is Elvis"

Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:36 pm

FrankieRider2 wrote:Wasn't there going to be another concert recorded (Knoxville, perhaps?) and they had some kind of mishap and the equipment got fried or something like that? Seems like I've read that before somewhere....


Heard that too.. failing power supply for the recording equipment or something like that..
Anyway, Knoxville wasn't taped, "Standing room only" cancelled and MSG was done instead.

Re: MGM -> April 1972 videotape from "This Is Elvis"

Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:30 am

Doc, I was watching "Elvis On Tour" on VHS (no DVD here) today a little to "prep" for my upcoming trip to Little Rock and noticed something I wanted to ask you all about. Was the Buffalo show filmed by a person.... or a crew? Does anyone know?

Interspersed in the footage montages before "BOTW", right before the double facing karate sequence there is a few-seconds shot of Elvis from behind during the ending of what looks like "PSA" where he spins in direction on stage.... and the standard Electrovoice mike with no windscreen is visible in his hand. According to everyone here, Buffalo was the only concert in April of '72 that style microphone was used.

It would not seem to make sense to me that one person was running around filming all these different angles with a portable camera setup. Anybody else ever noticed this?

I also was wondering if the announcements that Al Dvorin was making during these segments might have had to do with the electrical mishaps reportedly suffered at Knoxville discussed above, and that footage might be from the Knoxville venue, perhaps?

Re: MGM -> April 1972 videotape from "This Is Elvis"

Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:01 pm

FrankieRider2 wrote:Doc, I was watching "Elvis On Tour" on VHS (no DVD here) today a little to "prep" for my upcoming trip to Little Rock and noticed something I wanted to ask you all about. Was the Buffalo show filmed by a person.... or a crew? Does anyone know?

Bob Abel knows -- but he died in 2001. More than one camera makes sense -- but how many?

Re: MGM -> April 1972 videotape from "This Is Elvis"

Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:11 pm

I would expect there to have been at least 2 cameras in Buffalo. My reasoning is a large part of the reason for being there was for them to get an understanding of Elvis show, and coreography. All crew were to watch this footgage before the next shows, and so it would make sense for one camera always to be on Elvis from the front, with then at least one other camera, either fixed, or another handheld to get various other angles.

Re: MGM -> April 1972 videotape from "This Is Elvis"

Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:14 am

DarrylMac wrote:I would expect there to have been at least 2 cameras in Buffalo. My reasoning is a large part of the reason for being there was for them to get an understanding of Elvis show


That is speculation only. All sources say Abel was there with one hand-held camera only ... which is all that would be needed to get on film what Elvis did on stage, to give the crew a rough idea of his movements, and the show in general. A template, if you will.

Re: MGM -> April 1972 videotape from "This Is Elvis"

Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:44 am

Hi
well i think I'm a very good person to speak to with regards to Elvis on Tour

i have always thought that the back stage footage used was definitely from Little rock Arkansas due to the evidence we already know.

1.Elvis is speaking with Charlie Hodge and he informs Elvis that the stage is very low and the lights will be bang right in your eyes so they have to be very carefull backing up and getting Elvis off the stage with out hurting himself.

Now if you look at pic's from the show you can well see the stage is very low similar to the set up in Detroit April 6, 1972.

We have heaps of audio from cd's which you can listen to and piece things together as i have told my other Elvis friend many times all these recordings we have are called scratch tracks and they are the recordings from audio to match up to the filmed footage as them little light weight camera's did not record sound only vision.

I would personally love to work on the Elvis on Tour project as i feel i'v got alot of knowledge of the tour and experience in real life as i work in television.

it would be a dream come true for me :)

cheers

cam

Re: MGM -> April 1972 videotape from "This Is Elvis"

Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:15 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Bob Abel knows -- but he died in 2001. More than one camera makes sense -- but how many?


Isn't it really something that a person with important knowledge would in some small way hamper a fine discussion like this by passing away.... and without even asking us? We have important questions, too, dadgumit! :lol:

God rest his soul....

Well, if they only used one camera.... it was behind the stage filming at some point.

Re: MGM -> April 1972 videotape from "This Is Elvis"

Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:42 pm

That is speculation only. All sources say Abel was there with one hand-held camera only ... which is all that would be needed to get on film what Elvis did on stage, to give the crew a rough idea of his movements, and the show in general. A template, if you will.


Exactly. If you were wanting to make sure you caught Elvis' movements on stage, you wouldn't necessarily want to be running around the building trying to get different angles etc. This is the first show they saw, and so they wouldn't know what to expect. That's why I believe they would have at least 2 cameras there, to make sure one was on Elvis the whole show.

this would also explain Abel's use of the portable Sony kit.


Well, to be fair, they were using portable kit, be it one, or two cameras, as this footage was preliminary footage, shot to get a feel for things. Why would they need to install the whole crew at this point. Were the whole crew even present, or were they due to join the tour a couple of days later?

Re: MGM -> April 1972 videotape from "This Is Elvis"

Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:21 pm

i must say that from the 10 secs or so footage we have seen of buffalo the camera work is really good his framing is excellent and this is a good thing if we ever get to see the full show as it would of been filmed very well.

and also to point out as anyone looked at the quality of the footage it's very good amazing you can't even tell it was shot on a portable unit

Re: MGM -> April 1972 videotape from "This Is Elvis"

Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:41 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Joan Deary is on record as saying Felton Jarvis primarily taped vocals for the June 1977 recordings, with a firm plan to overdub the rhythm section and orchestra in Nashville.
These overdubs were done as planned, mere days after Elvis had died. It may well be a reason the backing sounds so sharp.


What was the thought behind that? Just to cut costs and set up reasonably simple recording equipment without worrying about the mix too much? Or were there also plans to record vocals just to add music, as if it was recorded in the studio?

Re: MGM -> April 1972 videotape from "This Is Elvis"

Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:00 am

epf wrote:What was the thought behind that? Just to cut costs and set up reasonably simple recording equipment without worrying about the mix too much? Or were there also plans to record vocals just to add music, as if it was recorded in the studio?

IIRC, your assumptions are correct.

Re: MGM -> April 1972 videotape from "This Is Elvis"

Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:22 am

Kris P wrote:... according to session notes only minor overdubs occurred, ie. some female voices on 9 cuts, Neilsen's Unchained Melody OD and the addition of guitar, percussion, bass, drums and piano to 8 selections.

These are hardly minor overdubs, and you omit some other work done.

-30-

Re: MGM -> April 1972 videotape from "This Is Elvis"

Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:32 am

Kris P wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Kris P wrote:... according to session notes only minor overdubs occurred, ie. some female voices on 9 cuts, Neilsen's Unchained Melody OD and the addition of guitar, percussion, bass, drums and piano to 8 selections.

These are hardly minor overdubs, and you omit some other work done.

-30-

Obviously you have never attended an overdub session for a double album, or any other for that matter.

And it appears you haven't either.

Re: MGM -> April 1972 videotape from "This Is Elvis"

Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:37 am

Kris P wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Kris P wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Kris P wrote:... according to session notes only minor overdubs occurred, ie. some female voices on 9 cuts, Neilsen's Unchained Melody OD and the addition of guitar, percussion, bass, drums and piano to 8 selections.

These are hardly minor overdubs, and you omit some other work done.

-30-

Obviously you have never attended an overdub session for a double album, or any other for that matter.

And it appears you haven't either.

One minute!
Now that's more like it!

Yes, it probably never lasts longer for you.

Re: MGM -> April 1972 videotape from "This Is Elvis"

Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:55 am

Kris P wrote:One minute!
Now that's more like it!

midnightx wrote:Yes, it probably never lasts longer for you.

Badda-bing, badda-boom!


Kris P wrote:Freud would have a field day with you to (sic) 'boys'.

Somewhere, Ben Bradlee is weeping.


Thank you, thank you, and good night everyone!

Re: MGM -> April 1972 videotape from "This Is Elvis"

Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:35 am

A typo is the least of your worries.

-30-

Re: MGM -> April 1972 videotape from "This Is Elvis"

Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:15 am

yes Doc turns into Steve B's long lost son Spell when he finds himself in a precarious position.

Re: MGM -> April 1972 videotape from "This Is Elvis"

Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:57 pm

Kris P wrote:
epf wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Joan Deary is on record as saying Felton Jarvis primarily taped vocals for the June 1977 recordings, with a firm plan to overdub the rhythm section and orchestra in Nashville.
These overdubs were done as planned, mere days after Elvis had died. It may well be a reason the backing sounds so sharp.


What was the thought behind that? Just to cut costs and set up reasonably simple recording equipment without worrying about the mix too much? Or were there also plans to record vocals just to add music, as if it was recorded in the studio?


Being a live album, Felton was not after an 'in studio' sound. With the Young 'un Sound August 29/30 overdub sessions he was endeavoring to produce the best possible sounding live album.
Contrary to popular opinion, according to session notes only minor overdubs occurred, ie. some female voices on 9 cuts, Neilsen's Unchained Melody OD and the addition of guitar, percussion, bass, drums and piano to 8 selections.


I get that he was after a live sound for this particular album.
But my question also asked if there were plans just to record mainly vocals in order to add music later as it if were recorded in the studio. Would not seem that farfetched since it was almost impossible those days to guide Elvis into a recording studio.

In that respect you both answered my questions. Thanks KrisP and Doc! :)

Re: MGM -> April 1972 videotape from "This Is Elvis"

Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:36 pm

I hadn't seen this clip until today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4VFZSYaDuM&NR=1


Dan.

Re: MGM -> April 1972 videotape from "This Is Elvis"

Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:29 pm

Dan_T wrote:I hadn't seen this clip until today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4VFZSYaDuM&NR=1


That makes two of us.... good footage.

Re: MGM -> April 1972 videotape from "This Is Elvis"

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:29 pm

Finding that video tape of the complete Buffolo show will blow MSG away

Imagine having it with the soundboard woot woot

Re: MGM -> April 1972 videotape from "This Is Elvis"

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:03 pm

Yes the guy said he filmed the whole show :shock:

Re: MGM -> April 1972 videotape from "This Is Elvis"

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:15 pm

ColinB wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:There is no reason to believe the tape is lost. Obviously, the producers of "This Is Elvis" had access to it in 1980. It's a matter of locating it in the MGM archives, and figuring out if it has audio -- which is likely. How else would the MGM crew know their cues without hearing the song in question?


I don't think that is the original audio we hear on there, not even sure it was Elvis singing.........................


Carl who?

Re: MGM -> April 1972 videotape from "This Is Elvis"

Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:28 pm

On a good note

The Karate Kicks is during the song suspicious minds ?

correct me if i'm wrong but that's pretty far down the line of the set list on the night

fingers crossed the complete gig was filmed :)