Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

MGM -> April 1972 videotape from "This Is Elvis"

Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:41 am

There has been some discussion of the legendary MGM videotaping of Elvis' opening show in Buffalo on April 5, 1972, as a template for the cameramen to study.

A small segment is used in 1981's "This Is Elvis" ->

phpBB [video]

Footage:
Monday, September 16, 1974, Tennessee Karate Institute, Memphis, TN
Wednesday, April 5, 1972, Memorial Auditorium, Buffalo, NY

The quality of the 1972 tape is pretty damn good.

Now, where's the rest of it?
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: MGM -> April 1972 videotape from "This Is Elvis"

Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:01 am

Yep, Doc, I've been wondering that myself for awhile now. Someone has got to have it. But like everything else that gets released people make money off of it so we can't blame whoever may have the footage. They probably just don't want to see others make money off of it. But then again, maybe I am wrong and it's still in the vaults :lol:

Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:24 am

There is no reason to believe the tape is lost. Obviously, the producers of "This Is Elvis" had access to it in 1980. It's a matter of locating it in the MGM archives, and figuring out if it has audio -- which is likely. How else would the MGM crew know their cues without hearing the song in question?

Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:04 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:There is no reason to believe the tape is lost. Obviously, the producers of "This Is Elvis" had access to it in 1980. It's a matter of locating it in the MGM archives, and figuring out if it has audio -- which is likely. How else would the MGM crew know their cues without hearing the song in question?

It would be interesting to hear what Andrew Solt would have to say about the issue. Does he have anything from 'This Is Elvis' in his possession? Solt had access to some interesting footage - has he ever elaborated as to what he had access to? Does anyone on this board have the ability to establish dialogue with him?

I know from the past, a similar scenerio occured with a question regarding The Doors' 1969 Mexico recordings (or rumors of their existence) and the official message board moderator (who is now the band's archivist) was able to reach out to Jerry Hopkins who covered the gigs for Rolling Stone. Hopkins responded within 24 hours and basically said he never heard the recordings, but simply reviewed what he saw. The famous shows from Mexico were recorded by a Mexican radio station - and the tapes are either gone or WAY underground. The rumors continue....

Back to the 1972 video tape footage from 'This Is Elvis.' If the tape does exist and there is audio, it would make for an amazing inclusion for a deluxe version of EOT. Sadly, it is hard to imagine MGM funding a reissue of EOT. And besides, wouldn't most fans rather have EPE release ELVIS IN CONCERT!?

Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:26 am

Boy every time I think of this topic I think of what has yet to come. I remember that when the 'This Is Elvis' DVD was in the planning stages one of these website interviewed Andrew Solt. Maybe it was Elvis Information Network or the Australia site. Anywasy I remember him saying that origianally they had something like 4 or 5 hours and the newtwork wanted him to trim that down to about two. When the DVD came up he tried to include that as extra but he was stopped.

So close but yet so far. If you can find that interview it will just whet yur appitite, but then it might make you cry.

Burning Love

Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:38 am

Burning Love wrote:Boy every time I think of this topic I think of what has yet to come. I remember that when the 'This Is Elvis' DVD was in the planning stages one of these website interviewed Andrew Solt. Maybe it was Elvis Information Network or the Australia site. Anywasy I remember him saying that origianally they had something like 4 or 5 hours and the newtwork wanted him to trim that down to about two. When the DVD came up he tried to include that as extra but he was stopped.

So close but yet so far. If you can find that interview it will just whet yur appitite, but then it might make you cry.

Burning Love

Another reason to consider the chances of 'Elvis On Tour' being expanded as slim.

Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:17 am

Hopefully someday someone will get their hands on the footage like they have done with all the eot footage. If the footage doesn't have audio it shouldn't be too hard to sync up the footage to it. Hopefully one day we will get some of this :lol:

Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:33 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:There is no reason to believe the tape is lost. Obviously, the producers of "This Is Elvis" had access to it in 1980. It's a matter of locating it in the MGM archives, and figuring out if it has audio -- which is likely. How else would the MGM crew know their cues without hearing the song in question?

An intriguing question and a mouth watering thought! IIRC there was a thread not too long ago (just the other week) which more or less delt with the camera in question. Somebody posted a picture of the camera that was used for this show and it clearly showed a not to be missed a (semi?) attached microphone, so one would think there would be sound, even if it was in a somewhat lesser quality.

Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:54 pm

There's much debate about this. Some memebers here discredit this footage, saying it's not "pro filmed" as it's a handheld camera, and probably (though not definitely) one camera, therefore one angle only.

I think this, along with the mountains of other unreleased footage shot during this tour, would make a fantastic release of some sort.

You can get an idea from watching the excellent star DVD Through My Eyes just how much was filmed. For example, the backstage footage shown before the San Antonio footage is Detroit, and you can see footage of CC Rider from Detroit on the star DVD. We see Elvis backstage before the afternoon show in Jacksonville too. The cameras were there for much more of the tour than the four shows we know about. The Buffallo show was reportedly the best they saw, with Hampton Roads coming a close second, and I'd love to see more.

Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:07 pm

I don't think that is the original audio we hear on there, not even sure it was Elvis singing.........................

Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:10 pm

I always thought this was awesome footage from the April show. What always blew me away about it was the amount of karate he does on this song. Does anyone even have a guess of what song he was singing when he broke into that?

DJL

Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:17 pm

ColinB wrote:

I don't think that is the original audio we hear on there, not even sure it was Elvis singing.........................

:D

Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:50 pm

DJL, it was from April, but not the Hampton Roads show. That looks like the karate ending to "Suspicious Minds" to my eyes. That's quite an exhibition.... faster than that used on the November '71 tour.

Doc, that live footage does look amazing and I bet with modern techniques like used on TTWII-SE it could be made to look extraordinary. I was always under the impression that it was shot with no sound, but it seems that would be hard to use just for reference in silent form.

Maybe this is still in that same salt mine where they found the film rolls stored that were used in "The Lost Performances"?

Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:49 pm

A few years ago, I read somewhere that only 25 minutes from this concert was filmed. But I do not know if that is true.

But maybe, the EOT producers caught the whole concert on film with one camera. Always live in hope.

Elvis sang Johnny B. Goode in Buffalo, and this song was quite rare during 1972. Maybe the only version of JBG in April 1972.

There is a CD-R called Stampede In Buffalo, and the sound is terrible, but the concert is powerful and full of energy.

Boy, I hope they have these tapes somewhere.

Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:47 pm

Renan wrote:There is a CD-R called Stampede In Buffalo, and the sound is terrible, but the concert is powerful and full of energy.

This corroborates what director Abel said -- April 5 was by far the best show he saw, with Hampton Roads on April 9 (ES), the finest they captured on film.

Is the stampede we see in "This Is Elvis" -- the song "Promised Land" is running as the bed track -- from the Buffalo show?

Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:15 pm

Doc, I don't have that film handy right now to check from, but if memory serves the film quality is better in that sequence.... more like the Hampton Roads footage than the Buffalo videotape. But I think I recall the surging of the crowd in a right-handed direction (from the onstage POV) up and then down the ramp.... which would match up for the right-handed exit at HR shown at the end of EOT when he walks into the camera on his stage exit.

Those stampedes were very real.... my Dad found out the hard way in Tuscaloosa when he ended up at the bottom of such a moving tidal wave jammed up against the sidewalk. The Polaroid camera he used that night to snap some extremely poor photographs expired that night and never shot another image. :lol:

Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:18 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Is the stampede we see in "This Is Elvis" -- the song "Promised Land" is running as the bed track -- from the Buffalo show?

That is a good question. I don't know.

Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:24 pm

DarrylMac wrote:You can get an idea from watching the excellent star DVD Through My Eyes just how much was filmed. For example, the backstage footage shown before the San Antonio footage is Detroit, and you can see footage of CC Rider from Detroit on the star DVD. .

If you are referring to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B43kxxR9 ... re=related

The backstage is San Antonio. Why? Because of the mentioned of Burning Love. You can hear Sonny saying that they didn't know where to end it. Elvis tells that it was supposed to be "Just a hunk, a hunk of burning love, Just a hunk, a hunk of burning love". It was supposed of done twice and then drums. Tutt missed it and went for it. That happened in Greensboro as video shows:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJaBepREvbs
This was the first time performed live. Was not sung in Buffalo which was the day before Detroit. Detroit was the second concert for this tour.

May I ask who told you that it was Detroit? Now you are right that some of the See See Rider is from Detroit. It is a mixture of San Antonio and Detroit. You got that right but the other is wrong.

Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:27 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Is the stampede we see in "This Is Elvis" -- the song "Promised Land" is running as the bed track -- from the Buffalo show?

I believe it is from Buffalo. I have heard it was and not from Hampton Roads.

If you are referring to the ending of this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4C9tOkupKY
Last edited by elvislennon on Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:28 pm

If so, this implies that MGM videotaped the entire show.

Can you imagine?

A DVD of a kick-ass concert on video -- which offers a "live" image feel -- which ends with a stampede!

I'LL BUY IT.

In fact, I'll buy TWO COPIES -- one for me, and one for you.

Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:31 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:If so, this implies that MGM videotaped the entire show.

Can you imagine?

A DVD of a kick-ass concert on video -- which offers a "live" image feel -- which ends with a stampede!

I'LL BUY IT.

Go for it - I'll be enjoying my ongoing viewing of "The CBS Tapes."

Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:35 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, if they were taping as a run through for later filming I could easily see where they might tape the entire concert. At that early of a date and probably being relatively still unfamiliar with Elvis' live show, they might not be sure which numbers they would want to include in the finished film.

Filming the entire concert in a less expensive format would make sense to establish the material to be included; the set list in April '72 didn't change that much over the course of the tour. I'm sure they had all that info at the very least since they had already recorded the tour rehearsals.
Last edited by FrankieRider2 on Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:35 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:If so, this implies that MGM videotaped the entire show.

Can you imagine?

I'LL BUY IT.

Well, I could ask my friend on that question. He was raised in Buffalo and went to alot of shows their including Elvis. He knows that building since he work there around 1974 to 1976. Maybe he knows. I check on it and see what he says.

Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:03 pm

May I ask who told you that it was Detroit? Now you are right that some of the See See Rider is from Detroit. It is a mixture of San Antonio and Detroit. You got that right but the other is wrong.

Theres a part of that footage that you posted showing Elvis in sunglasses backstage - that's Detroit. Actually, having reviewed the photo's, I believe the main body of footage you've shown could be Macon Georgia. It comes down to Elvis hair. It could be Macon, which is the day after Greensboro, and they could well be discussing the night before.

The reason I'm adamant it's not San Antonio is Elvis hair is completely different.

Here, in Macon, his hair is coming down over his face a little, in the same way it is during the backstage footage.

Macon.jpg

Whereas in San Antonio, he almost has a side part, with no hair coming down over his face.

San Antonio.jpg

Wherever that red room footage may be, it's 100% not San Antonio, as right up until he goes on stage, he has hair down over his face from the right side, which then changes completely as he enters the stage as shown in EOT.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:29 pm

midnightx wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:In fact, I'll buy TWO COPIES -- one for me, and one for you.

Go for it - I'll be enjoying my ongoing viewing of "The CBS Tapes."

I will hold your copy here -- you might want to view it someday, for a little "change of pace."