Post here your Elvis' pictures

Re: Backstage in Las Vegas December 1976

Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:21 am

Well as a whole I wouldn't say they weren't nearly as good as his 1975 Vegas shows, but I think they are much better then most of the 1976 shows before October. Geoffry McDonnel wrote a great piece on them that can be found on Elvisconcerts.com Basically it says the first few shows and last few were pretty good, but the ones in between were uneven at best. The sprained ankle and Vernon's mild heart attack must have been the cause of the severe dip in quality. I know Roy and Glen both spoke about how great the opening show was and how friendly he was backstage. Still the tour to follow was worlds above this season.

Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:35 am

Doc - Ger did indeed write a scathing article, but it didn't stop him from spending more money the following year, and seeing Elvis in June 77 did it? I've also yet to see any pics of Elvis arriving on stage with his hair wet.

There are good and bad pics from every engagement Doc - you picked 2 of the worst there! As someone else pointed out, there's an excellent article on this season on fransesc's site, which confirms that the first 5 days were really good, the middle few shows terrible, which was perhaps the one's Ger attended, and then they picked up again towards the end. I don't think anyone who saw the 1hr 40 min opening show would have been in any away disppointed, and the shows generally were longer than in previous years.

Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:26 am

The negative review Ger gave of the December 5th show I've seen quoted several times on several forums and he is more than disappointed by it - it's the evening Elvis twists his ankle (Elvis in Free Fall.) Its perhaps fairer to Ger and Elvis to note he also says the following in the same article:

Ger Rijff wrote:The very moment Elvis walks out from the right wing of the stage, he is EVERYTHING I hoped he would be. Hair combed back, the famous arrogant curl of the lip and with both thumbs linked in the chains from his belt, he walks - catlike - to the centre of the stage. Yes, indeed. ‘Like a Prince from another planet’, as one New York newspaper described his appearance way back in 1972.
He’s got incredible stage presence. Charisma beyond words. I think I’m in love.
Everything he does that night is done to perfection. The ballads are belted out with enormous power, and even the classic ‘oldies’ are treated with a little more respect than usual. He’s in a great mood. So are we! ... Five more shows will follow in the days to come. Four turn out to be good ones. The remaining one is bad. Or to be more exact, downright WEIRD!
It’s December 5th, and again we’re seated at..."

The full article can be found in Elvis: The Man and His Music #8, pp. 32-36

If Chantal was part of the same European fan group as Ger the picture can be dated to 3rd December.

Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:12 pm

Here's some photos I have of Elvis in the 1974 Arabian jumpsuite from the December 1976 las vegas engagement.
8)

Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:25 pm

great pics Brad, they are all from the Closing (Last Vegas) Show

Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:23 pm

ben wrote:great pics Brad, they are all from the Closing (Last Vegas) Show

Yes I know this. And thanks, glad you like them buddy! :smt002

Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:16 pm

@ Kris P:

I think you're wrong and the pic Doc posted is indeed from Vegas 1976, but ouf curiosity what do you think on which date the photo was shot?

Joern

Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:31 pm

Here's the pic from the show Ger attended. It was posted on NightRider's site. Any questions?

I own - as many people - all shows on CD or CDr from this engagement. Some were fine, just like the first three shows, but then the most of them taper off to - nearly - nothing with the exception of only a few songs that highlighted this engagement. The shows were hardly earth-shattering and only a shadow of what it has been only a few years before.

Joern

Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:32 pm

Joern - my first impression of the pic you've posted is that Elvis' hair is dry, and he certainly doesn't look like he just stepped out of the shower!

Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:07 pm

DarrylMac wrote:Joern - my first impression of the pic you've posted is that Elvis' hair is dry, and he certainly doesn't look like he just stepped out of the shower!

Wasn't this the pic in less quality that Ger posted once in addition to his written Vegas memories?

Also I've never seen a picture from Elvis with wet hair - just as he had taken a shower. Did you?

Joern

Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:39 pm

DarrylMac wrote:Joern - my first impression of the pic you've posted is that Elvis' hair is dry, and he certainly doesn't look like he just stepped out of the shower!

Thats what I'm thinking..so why and where did the myths start about the wet hair I wonder?

That is a interesting picture Joern you've posted, excellent quality photo. But looks as if Elvis is having a little bit of trouble sitting up or hes simply leaned over?

Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:20 pm

so why and where did the myths start about the wet hair I wonder?

Ger made the comment when he wrote his original article. I'm pleased someone took the time to post other, more positive comments by Ger about the 76 shows, as he often gave the impression that he didn't much like Elvis in the 70's.

Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:16 pm

Kris P wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
rickeap wrote:C'mon, he doesn't look that bad. Yes, he appears tired but is clearly trimmer that months earlier hardly looking `bad'

This is picture is not from Vegas '76.

Elvis_Priestly wrote:The negative review Ger gave of the December 5th show I've seen quoted several times on several forums and he is more than disappointed by it - it's the evening Elvis twists his ankle (Elvis in Free Fall.) Its perhaps fairer to Ger and Elvis to note he also says the following in the same article:

Ger Rijff wrote:
The very moment Elvis walks out from the right wing of the stage, he is EVERYTHING I hoped he would be. Hair combed back, the famous arrogant curl of the lip and with both thumbs linked in the chains from his belt, he walks - catlike - to the centre of the stage. Yes, indeed. ‘Like a Prince from another planet’, as one New York newspaper described his appearance way back in 1972.
He’s got incredible stage presence. Charisma beyond words. I think I’m in love.
Everything he does that night is done to perfection. The ballads are belted out with enormous power, and even the classic ‘oldies’ are treated with a little more respect than usual. He’s in a great mood. So are we! ... Five more shows will follow in the days to come. Four turn out to be good ones. The remaining one is bad. Or to be more exact, downright WEIRD!
It’s December 5th, and again we’re seated at..."

Thanks for the balance, E_P.

I would think it is.

Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:27 pm

When Kris P made that comment, the photo was still the one from Champaign.

Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:28 pm

Definitley is from Las Vegas!

Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:26 pm

The fool wrote:When Kris P made that comment, the photo was still the one from Champaign.

Oh crap thats true, I put the same name to the new one. sorry Kris P. :oops:

Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:57 am

Brad M wrote:

Thats what I'm thinking..so why and where did the myths start about the wet hair I wonder?

That is a interesting picture Joern you've posted, excellent quality photo. But looks as if Elvis is having a little bit of trouble sitting up or hes simply leaned over?

Thank you for the compliment, but it's deserved by someone else who owns a huge photo archive with lots and lots of stunning pictures.

Joern

Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:30 pm

As The fool points out it looks there has been some frantic behind the scenes work by Johnny Carpenter.
Thanks 'fool', or should that be 'Nobody's Fool'?

If someone should get the blame that would be me since that was my fault. And there was not any frantic behind the scenes.

Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:56 am

Francesc wrote:If someone should get the blame that would be me since that was my fault. And there was not any frantic behind the scenes.

Ah, the truth, like a breath of fresh air. Thanks, Francesc.

Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:17 am

Kris P wrote:So you edited Johnny Carpenters post and changed the original pic without his knowledge?

Krisp, Francesc uploaded a new image using the same URL. Nothing needed to be edited in anyone's posting. It's easy to do, if one knows how.

Francesc has a whole section on the December 1976 Las Vegas engagement on his "Elvis In Concert" site, you should visit, and discover more about that time period, as it is obviously very important to you.

Hope this helps!

Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:33 pm

Kris P,

If you are saying that I quickly change the photo so DJC was not mistaken, you are wrong.

Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:34 pm

Kris P wrote:
Francesc wrote:
As The fool points out it looks there has been some frantic behind the scenes work by Johnny Carpenter.
Thanks 'fool', or should that be 'Nobody's Fool'?

If someone should get the blame that would be me since that was my fault. And there was not any frantic behind the scenes.

So you edited Johnny Carpenters post and changed the original pic without his knowledge?

No I didn't.

Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:28 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Francesc has a whole section on the December 1976 Las Vegas engagement on his "Elvis In Concert" site, you should visit, and discover more about that time period, as it is obviously very important to you.

A fine site I might add! :wink:

Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:29 am

Francesc wrote:If you are saying that I quickly change the photo so DJC was not mistaken, you are wrong.

drjohncarpenter wrote:Krisp, Francesc uploaded a new image using the same URL.

Kris P wrote:Hope this makes things a little clearer.

You are really having comprehension issues. Here's your last chance, read carefully ->

A site administrator may upload a different image file to the same exact URL whenever they wish.

In the example which you cannot wrap your brain around, Francesc read comments here which indicated one of the photos on his site identified as December 1976 was in error. He then found a new image from that time period that fit and uploaded it to his site, using the same name as the original file.

On our end, no one had to edit anything in their posts, the change occurred on the back end, and all done by Francesc of his own volition.

If you can't figure it out now, you really are challenged.

Fri May 24, 2013 5:55 pm

Little Darlin wrote:
Terry wrote:This girl is Chantal Dambremont from Belgium, a good friend of mine. She meet EP 3 times in Vegas. She have also the LP 'Live In Memphis' signed by EP.
The 2nd times Chantal (and her sister) saw Elvis, Elvis told to her : 'Hello mademoiselle, comment allez-vous ?...) (Hi, honey how are you).

Terry...

Tell your Friend she is one very lucky Lady indeed.... I bet She knew exactly what he meant. :wink:

From what I have read about Elvis, he would have recited a hundred hail Mary's if he thought it would charm the knickers off a Nun.

They were twin sisters, Chantal & Dominique Dambremont