Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:10 pm

Boy he looks tired. Thanks for showing it Marlena

Re: Backstage in Las Vegas December 1976

Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:48 pm

Here is another one taken at the same time;

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... n1276.html

Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:54 pm

I've seen that lady in many photos with Elvis -- clearly one of the super-fans.

Elvis wore that suit a few times that final Vegas visit, they must be right after one of these:

December 3 MS
December 8 MS
December 10 DS

Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:58 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:I've seen that lady in many photos with Elvis -- clearly one of the super-fans.

Elvis wore that suit a few times that final Vegas visit, they must be right after one of these:

December 3 MS
December 8 MS
December 10 DS

probably just before one of these show :wink:

Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:01 pm

ben wrote:probably just before one of these show :wink:

If Elvis looked like that BEFORE a show, the 1976 Vegas stand is even worse than we've been led to believe.

Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:07 pm

This girl is Chantal Dambremont from Belgium, a good friend of mine. She meet EP 3 times in Vegas. She have also the LP 'Live In Memphis' signed by EP.
The 2nd times Chantal (and her sister) saw Elvis, Elvis told to her : 'Hello mademoiselle, comment allez-vous ?...) (Hi, honey how are you).

Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:20 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ben wrote:probably just before one of these show :wink:

If Elvis looked like that BEFORE a show, the 1976 Vegas stand is even worse than we've been led to believe.

i think it is before a show because he has the scarf around his neck and tucked into the jumpsuit and not hanging out of the jumpsuit like he did usually at the end of concerts.

P.S. i am rather fond of this Las(T) Vegas season and i don't think he is really bad and he sings quite a few rare songs for the period

Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:22 pm

Terry wrote:This girl is Chantal Dambremont from Belgium, a good friend of mine. She meet EP 3 times in Vegas. She have also the LP 'Live In Memphis' signed by EP.
The 2nd times Chantal (and her sister) saw Elvis, Elvis told to her : 'Hello mademoiselle, comment allez-vous ?...) (Hi, honey how are you).

I don't believe honey would be the best translation here as it implies familiarity. If that were the case, he wouldn't have used the proper form of allez-vous ;) The more friendly "Comment vas-tu?" would have been used.

Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:22 pm

ben wrote:P.S. i am rather fond of this Las(T) Vegas season and i don't think he is really bad and he sings quite a few rare songs for the period

Here we go...

Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:24 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ben wrote:P.S. i am rather fond of this Las(T) Vegas season and i don't think he is really bad and he sings quite a few rare songs for the period

Here we go...

Here we go, Here we go, Here we go 8) (who sung that?? lol)

Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:35 pm

don't believe honey would be the best translation here as it implies familiarity. If that were the case, he wouldn't have used the proper form of allez-vous The more friendly "Comment vas-tu?" would have been used.

Ok Vissie,

Elvis talk to her in french !

Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:39 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:If Elvis looked like that BEFORE a show, the 1976 Vegas stand is even worse than we've been led to believe.

It is what it is.

Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:19 pm

Terry wrote:This girl is Chantal Dambremont from Belgium, a good friend of mine. She meet EP 3 times in Vegas. She have also the LP 'Live In Memphis' signed by EP.

Terry...

Tell your Friend she is one very lucky Lady indeed.... I bet She knew exactly what he meant. :wink:

From what I have read about Elvis, he would have recited a hundred hail Mary's if he thought it would charm the knickers off a Nun.

Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:20 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:I've seen that lady in many photos with Elvis -- clearly one of the super-fans.

December 3 MS
December 8 MS
December 10 DS

I wonder if this is from one of the shows one of our former Members reviewed?

Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:28 pm

Terry wrote:don't believe honey would be the best translation here as it implies familiarity. If that were the case, he wouldn't have used the proper form of allez-vous The more friendly "Comment vas-tu?" would have been used.

Ok Vissie,

Elvis talk to her in french !

Terry, you're always fun ;) Have a great evening!

Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:31 pm

Little Darlin wrote:

From what I have read about Elvis, he would have recited a hundred hail Mary's if he thought it would charm the knickers off a Nun.

"Charm the knickers off a Nun"? *writes that one down*

*snickers and then howls with laughter*

(Yes, LD, I like that phrase)

Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:06 am

As I understand it, that Vegas season started off quite well, with Elvis having lost some weight, and the opening show was well received. There's a show that was attended by Roy Orbison, and Glenn Campbell, and by all accounts, Elvis sang really well, and had fun.

The wheels seemed to come off when he twisted / sprained his ankle, and it seemed downhill from there.

Here's a favourite pic from the time...

El Charlie.jpg

And a newspaper review from Fransescs site.

CONCERT DATE: December 12, 1976. Las Vegas, NV.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elvis sings and sings for fan's 112th visit
December 14, 1976

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the way into the packed showroom of the Hilton Hotel on his opening night, a young lady was heard to say, "I've seen Elvis' show one hundred and eleven times since 1970."

It was certain that this young lady was telling the truth. What was uncertain was the reason.

Why? Why would anyone want to see him that many times? Or to see him the second time for that matter?

To answer that kind of questions is, first of all, to rehearse what he did on stage for more than hour. While on stage, Elvis Presley sang and sang. As a matter of fact, on opening night he sang almost every song he ever recorded, and more.

What kinds of songs did he sing? Dramatic songs with simple but tense lyrics, telling of love, and a primitive kind of faith in the ability to love no matter what.

Is this one of the reasons why the young lady returns to see him over and over again? Yes that's part of it.

On stage, Elvis also gave the genuine impression that he enjoyed being where he was, in front of a pack of loving fans who were ready and willing to offer him whatever: flowers, stuffed animals, paintings, jewelry, unashamed self.

Is this another reason for the return visits? Yes, of course. In a world where there is so much just out of grasp, Elvis' apparent gift of himself seems always to be something shared, not just a one-sided give or take. It's a shared experience.

What else? What else makes this entertainer a phenomenon, which others only hope to emulate? It's vulnerability. Yes, it's his vulnerability which makes that young lady return time after time.

Elvis Presley is larger than life. But, the minute he sings his love song, he is a little boy yearning to sooth his wounded soul. What is extraordinary is, after all, ordinary. What is the self-assured image of the superstar is also the self-assessing struggle of the perennial youth in search of wonder.

Elvis Presley, therefore, is a paradox. When he is at his most understandable, he, all of a sudden, remains a mystery.

This young lady of steady devotion was asked what single world best described this man for her. Without hesitation, she answered, "charismatic". No wonder

THE OTHERS

Along with Elvis Presley at the Hilton are opening acts of varying quality.

The Stamp Quartet, featuring J.D. Sumner, who has the deepest bass voice this side of a Russian Orthodox basilica, do gospel-songs with much care and style.

Sweet Inspirations, a trio of singing ladies, are less exciting in their treatment of "Get Away" than they are in their neat arrangement of the Chicago song. "If You Leave Me Now."

Least enjoyable is comic Jackie Kahane who takes much too long with jokes which should be gotten rid of as fast as possible.

Presley's musicians are superlative, as is the total effect of his show.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:39 am

C'mon, he doesn't look that bad. Yes, he appears tired but is clearly trimmer that months earlier hardly looking `bad'

Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:10 am

rickeap wrote:C'mon, he doesn't look that bad. Yes, he appears tired but is clearly trimmer that months earlier hardly looking `bad'
ImageImage

Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:37 am

The Engagement started off strong with good shows but after the 4th it seems to have went downhill. Vernon got sick with a heartattack i believe, and that worried Elvis sick.

Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:42 am

Little Darlin wrote:

December 3 MS
December 8 MS
December 10 DS

A few years back, Ger Rijff wrote a painfully honest series of articles for The Man and His Music magazine on this Dec '76 engagement -- not sure which shows he saw, but some of his shocking report is on the internet.

Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:33 am

Doc I was referring to the photo that is the subject of this topic
Rick

Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:13 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Little Darlin wrote:

December 3 MS
December 8 MS
December 10 DS

A few years back, Ger Rijff wrote a painfully honest series of articles for The Man and His Music magazine on this Dec '76 engagement -- not sure which shows he saw, but some of his shocking report is on the internet.

I recall reading this review from Ger. Say's Elvis came on stage, hair soaking wet like he had just walked out of the shower.

Really a sad time for our hero. Just because his weight was down alittle bit by no means says he was healthy.