Post here all polls related to Elvis Albums/Songs Etc.

Best track on "Almost in love" LP 1970

Poll ended at Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:04 pm

Almost in love
12%
Long legged girl
No votes
Edge Of Reality
18%
My little friend
12%
A little less conversation
6%
Rubberneckin´
6%
Clean up your own back yard
24%
US Male
12%
Charro
No votes
Stay away
12%

Total votes : 17

Best track on "Almost in love" LP 1970

Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:04 pm

Hi!

Back to the world of Camden and in my opinon, the strongest one of the Camden albums. I´m not gonna write that much about this album because of Shanebrowns excellent review earlier. I agree that AIL holds together better than some other Elvis albums. I also have a lot of nostalgia for this album. As an eight year old child, I got the english version on cassette because of a trip abroad by my mother and I was upset about that :cry: This was in 1976 and it was the version with an alternate take of "Stay away, Joe". Nowadays I also own the other version on LP, but for me, the song selection on the MC is the "correct" one.

Short comments that are not mentioned by Shanebrown: What a brass arrangement on "My little friend" and the bass drum in "Clean up your own back yard" is marvellous. My favourite here is quite hard to choose because I really like 6-7 tunes very much, but I have to give "Clean up your own back yard" the vote. Could probably be a remix hit, perhaps in a modern reggae style.

Vote on!

//Björn

Re: Best track on "Almost in love" LP 1970

Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:50 pm

Quite a strong album indeed Bjorn!

I have voted 'Stay Away' as I have always loved his voice on this one. Other strong contenders are 'Charro' and 'Edge Of Reality'.

Andy

Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:23 pm

Tough call - I love Clean Up Your Own Back Yard, My Little Friend and Little Less Conversation, but went for Edge Of Reality in the end. A very exciting performance and an interesting sound for Elvis.

Best ever Camden album? I think so.

Jules

Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:36 pm

familyjules wrote:Tough call - I love Clean Up Your Own Back Yard, My Little Friend and Little Less Conversation, but went for Edge Of Reality in the end. A very exciting performance and an interesting sound for Elvis.

Best ever Camden album? I think so.

Jules

Those four are probably my favourite tunes too, but it smells quality in the title track, Charro and Stay away too. And Rubberneckin´is pure fun. But Long legged girl is the song the cat dragged in here. It ain´t bad, but doesn´t belong here.

//Björn

Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:49 pm

dreambear wrote:
familyjules wrote:Those four are probably my favourite tunes too, but it smells quality in the title track, Charro and Stay away too. And Rubberneckin´is pure fun. But Long legged girl is the song the cat dragged in here. It ain´t bad, but doesn´t belong here.

//Björn

Agree completely. It's that kind of inexplicable decision that lets you know it's a Camden album, I guess.

jules

Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:30 pm

It was a tough choice because I like all the songs. Yes, even Long Legged Girl. Out of place though it may be. I went for Stay Away because I love his voice. I wish I could hit those high notes.

Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:00 pm

She drove me to the point of madness
The brink of misery
If she's not real then I'm condemned to
The edge of reality

One of his better flick tunes.

Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:15 pm

ALMOST IN LOVE is one of my 2 favorites Camden LPs that i like ( with LETS BE FRIENDS)
i pick: MY LITTLE FRIEND - great song ! from a great '45
second: CHARRO & EADGE OF REALITY, STAY AWAY
sincerely
Lior :smt006

Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:07 am

Lots of good ones to choose from, but I chose the title cut, it's the one I just can't get out of my head, and so different from the typical ballad. I'd love to be able to sing it to a beautiful girl like Elvis did in LAL, LAL.

Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:57 pm

Clean up...was the most popular track on this album.

Thanks for voting!

//Björn

Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:58 am

shanebrown wrote:dreambear, I haven't been around much lately, but have been voting! I've only just noticed your kind comments regarding the review, however. Thank you! :o)

The pleasure is on my side!

//Björn

Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:33 am

By the time I got this LP – from a used record store, a mint copy of the original version with “Stay Away, Joe” – I’d already had almost all the tracks on other releases, notably an Australia-New Zealand releases (one titled Elvis that included a lot of the better Camden tracks with a cool cover and the serial number SP 106-G, one of my first LPs, and the other a multi-LP boxed set that covered 1965-1968). I think “My Little Friend” was the only track I didn’t have, unless it was on Memphis Memories, but I still liked this budget LP from the very first listen. It’s a great collection of some of the leftovers of Elvis’ later ‘60s work, including some excellent soundtrack songs that could easily have stood up as non-movie songs.

“Almost In Love” has a Latin-flavored lounge-music feel to it. It’s almost too much but, somehow, it works. It’s very, very ‘60s but would still work today as a ‘retro’ piece. Great vocal, too. Quite a different song for Elvis, as were the other songs that made up the Live A Little, Love A Little soundtrack.

“Long Legged Girl” seems a little out of place here, having already been released on the Double Trouble LP. Still, as with most movie songs that had Joy Byers’ name attached, this one’s head and shoulders above most of the other soundtrack pieces from this film and this time. Kinda cool, if not a real classic.

“Edge Of Reality” is another somewhat odd song from Live A Little, Love A Little, one I’ve always held in very high regard since first hearing it on Rock’n’ On, Volume 2 before Elvis died. It’s a little spooky and overall a very strong song. I always thought it could have been a hit if released at the right point in the ‘80s. Who knows, like its most famous (albeit once obscure) soundtrack companion, it may yet attain hit status. Great stuff!

“My Little Friend” is one of the decidedly lesser tracks from the 1969 Memphis sessions but it’s catchy with a good hook and I have to say I like it even if it’s no masterpiece. I mean, I can live without it, but it’s eminently listenable.

“A Little Less Conversation” sure got a lot better known than it was before, in the past decade. I never really liked it a whole lot – didn’t dislike it, just wasn’t especially enamored with it and couldn’t care less about hearing it – until I started listening to some outtakes that came available not all that long before the Nike ad and subsequent fame and fortune. Now it’s iconic, and a song that leaps to the mind of a great many people when they think of Elvis (or Vegas, never mind that he was no closer than 300 miles from Vegas when he sang it). I kind of like that Elvis was in a way ahead of his time in that I presume he picked the track for the single and, regardless, he was enamored enough with it to sing bits of it for the Memphis studio crew a year later…the single didn’t go anywhere but, over three decades later, the song not only delivered another #1 for Elvis but probably helped further boost his presence such that he had further chart success to follow. And there it was all that time, lurking on a budget LP in obscurity. I love these rags to riches stories…

“Rubberneckin’” is perhaps eclipsed both by the bigger hits and some of the more obscure masterpieces from the Memphis sessions but it’s always solidly remained one of my favorite Elvis songs. Cool to see it in Change Of Habit, too. Elvis nailed this song in the studio, right away, and it’s stayed firmly nailed. I liked the remix, too (at first it did little for me, but it’s since grown on me), and it’s kind of ironic how this song follows the other later-remixed song from the Almost In Love album.

“Clean Up Your Own Back Yard” is, hands down, my pick for the best of this album. It’s also among my favorite movie songs and, indeed, among my top contenders for favorite Elvis songs. I love the lyrics and sentiment, I love the instrumentation, and I love Elvis’ delivery and voice. With or without dubbed backing vocals, this song is pure heaven. It’s staged really well in the film, too, with a very interesting editing job creating a rhythmic visual that goes well with the song (Elvis looked great, too, of course) and in some ways foreshadows the vastly more gimmicky and annoyingly distracting choppy quick-cutting-by-cameramen-on-Ritalin MTV technique that eventually became all-pervasive on TV and entered a few films too many. I love this song.

“US Male” is another firm favorite of mine. Jerry Reed was a genius on guitar and he wrote some excellent tunes, many of them with very tongue-in-cheek lyrics that celebrate the redneck he really wasn’t (and was). His guitar work adds greatly to this song, too, and I can see why Elvis wanted him aboard for it. The outtakes reveal a stunningly loose (loose yet, still, focused) atmosphere in the recording of this song and I wish Elvis and Jerry could have worked together more. This song is so cool, but I’ve seen a few people mistakenly take it seriously and basically recoil in horror at the misogynistic, violent, macho-posing-BS on display. Sock it to me one time, Elvis!

“Charro” has appealed to me since I first heard it on a compilation titled Elvis In Hollywood, a great many years before I saw the film (the film could have been so much more with better writing and some Sergio Leone protégé at the helm). It’s very atmospheric and, somehow, also evocative to me of a James Bond theme. Nice orchestral backing by Hugo Montenegro, and very strong lyrics that, with Elvis’ intense delivery and the musical background, create a sense of foreboding.

“Stay Away” is okay as a more or less undistinguished move soundtrack song. I love the outtake wherein Elvis sings of the toilet habits of eagles. The melody’s a classic, of course, and Elvis does a good job with the singing. The same is true of the song on my copy of this album, “Stay Away, Joe”: a movie song and that’s about it.

This may be the most interesting of the Camden LPs, with the highest quality contents (the 1970 Christmas LP could be serious competition for that title, but its focus is far narrower). It sure was a good value, arguably much better than some of the lesser full-price LPs offered by RCA on Elvis’ behalf. If it even left off great songs like “Edge Of Reality,” “Rubberneckin’,” “A Little Less Conversation,” and “US Male,” it’d be worth purchasing just for the great “Clean Up Your Own Back Yard,” bolstered by the other songs that are at least decent efforts.

Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:27 am

edge of reality for me

Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:57 am

As with all Camden releases, this is a hodge-podge of the good, the bad and the ugly. At moments it feels like the 1968 studio album that never was.

There is a very nice six-song run from "Edge of Reality" to "U.S. Male" -- purely by chance, of course. But, otherwise, the album is just another throwaway affair.

Best cuts:
A Little Less Conversation
Rubberneckin'
Clean Up Your Own Backyard
U.S. Male

Of the four above, Jerry Reed's song comes closest to capturing Elvis at a moment of innovation, looking back while moving forward. And he never sounded like he was having more fun than on this recording.