All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

new cd dvd book

Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:58 pm

hi
you can now order this from HMV for £12.99

Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:16 pm

I've ordered from hmv too, thanks :wink:

Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:05 am

You mean we get Hound Dog restored and remastered for the 30th time over the last 5 years ... :?:

Great ...

Seriously, how much better can all these recordings sound now :?: :roll:

Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:30 am

The item that holds the interest for me on this release is the book and the Don Davis interview which (hopefully, I don't know) wil be more complete.
I already have most of the other tracks on the BMG releases so I'm not as excited about those as I am about the book and the overall package from MRS.
Still, let's wait and see.

Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:51 pm

If we are lucky this time possibly some tracks are in stereo/binaural.Would be amazing :D

Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:26 pm

svallen wrote:If we are lucky this time possibly some tracks are in stereo/binaural.Would be amazing :D

It would be unbelievably amazing.

That's why it won't happen.

Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:39 pm

svallen wrote:If we are lucky this time possibly some tracks are in stereo/binaural.Would be amazing :D

Amazing?

Binaural sound sucks!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:38 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:

Amazing?

Binaural sound sucks!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Whether the sound is good or not is irrelevant - svallen is right in saying it would be amazing.

Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:41 pm

Nice magazine cover-shot, Purple Gang, and thanks for checking.

I knew it was close to the same cover. I wonder how long it will take to see all such shots? Or in twenty years will we still be introduced to "new" shots?

I like that prospect, but on the other hand, maybe they should just empty the photo / audio vaults already!

As for that Don Davis interview, what on earth didn't make the "ELVIS PRESLEY" FTD? If it's a snippet of the interviewer coughing, I'll pass ! :lol:

Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:21 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:

Amazing?

Binaural sound sucks!

Keith Richards, Jr.
Stereo 57 sounds kool..doncha think?

Re: New York RCA Studio 1: The Complete Sessions [MRS]

Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:57 am

And he replied, "So are my DVD/CD projects"
And she replied, "where do you buy your clothes"
And he replied, "Target"
And she replied, "So do I"
And he replied, "do you want to go out"
And she replied, "ok".

then the tape ends, so no part 2 of the interview.

Hi Gang,
YES INDEED there is part two of the J.Pirzada interview to come.
However Nigel and I have been incredibly busy - and we both have very demanding full-time jobs.

I was busy with the Elvis Week EIN tour - plus have been overseas twice since then.
Yes, it would be fabulous to have 40 hours a week free to run EIN and follow everything up but there just isn't time.

We WILL ask JP all the 'tricky' questions you posted on FECC however, despite all the complaining about M.R.S, the "moaners" are very in the minority.

You are still welcome to post questions for JP.

Cheers
Piers

Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:40 pm

Now available on iTunes - price 9.99 Euro (digital blooklet included)

Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:38 pm

Anyone who can improve the music of the memphis bop,is good enough to be A1 8) :lol:

Re:

Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:08 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Binaural sound sucks!

For things that we have only ever had in mono, 'binaural' can add something to the listening experience.

Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:21 pm

kingepfan wrote:I know this is a little OT but speaking of the binaural recordings. Has anyone tried to remove/isolate Elvis' vocal and insert it into the middle where it should be for a more stereo feel on any of the binaural recordings? I've tried it on a few, but my prog isn't adequate to do a respectable job of it. If any of you have, is there a good prog to use?

Doesn't that leave a silence on one channel ?

When they did that [officially] on Treat Me Nice once, they overdubbed a new guitar bit to avoid that.

Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:58 pm

I got hold of the MRS Sun delliveries and the Tupeol set. The latter was a highlight. The other two did not add anything precious to these ears. Having received Kevan's 50's output through FTD, I'm just fine with the 50's as they have come along so far. I'm looking forward to the classic release of ELVIS, ELVIS' CHRISTMAS ALBUM, ELVIS' GOLDEN RECORDS and KING CREOLE.
So I will simply pass on this MRS outing.

Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:01 pm

kingepfan wrote:Colin, it doesn't leave a silence in one channel because there usually still some instruments that were recorded on the same channel as his voice. I guess to make my post more understandable concerning this, one would have to isolate both Elvis' voice and the layered instruments into seperate tracks. In some semblance of a three track recording, where eventually, Elvis voice would be evenly distributed on the other two tracks to get more of a stereo image.

Well, yes, you'd have to separate his voice from the instruments on the channel with him, or they'd be 'centred' along with Elvis, leaving [as I said] a silence on one side.

But is that possible on [what is in effect] a mono recording ?

As I mentioned, when RCA did it, they had to fall back on overdubbing to put something on the [apparently] silent channel.

Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:15 pm

Playing it again !!

I love the sound, it's Rock and roll.
Sorry, FTD but this one is alive can't sit still while playing it.

It surprises me how alive it sounds, anyone, make sure you get the change to hear it,
so you understand what i mean to say.
Hope they release the rest of the recorded songs of '56 in this style
Give me a volume 2 :oops:

Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:24 pm

Got My copy today and am very impressed.

No other package has quite captured the excitement of Elvis in 1956 like this New York Sessions release. The sound jumps out of your stereo, moreso than the Japanese releases with this material or even the excellent FTD of 'Elvis Presley'.

The packaging is fantastic and when you open it there is a color shot of Elvis singing by Wertheimer that I have not seen before (possibly because of slightly fuzzy focus), but it's probably one of the most definitive 56 color shots I've seen. Several great color shots that I havent seen in the book as well.

Don't cheat yourself-this is a great release.