Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
elvisa
Registered for: 17 years

"Elvis, my best man", by George Klein

Post by elvisa »

I was wondering if the book could be something to look foreward to...hmmm, I don`t know much about George as a person, but he seems like a nice person who really loved Elvis as they were friends for many, many years.
I know that he is hosting Sirius radio from Graceland, so I thought that some of you who are listening there, might have an oppinion on what kind of person he is, and an idea of what to expect from his upcomming book......

http://www.elvisnews.com/Presentation/Functional/Page/news.aspx?command=show&item=9890

" Elvis music is how feelings sound like "

Vissie
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Re: "Elvis, my best man", by George Klein

Post by Vissie »

elvisa wrote:I was wondering if the book could be something to look foreward to...hmmm, I don`t know much about George as a person, but he seems like a nice person who really loved Elvis as they were friends for many, many years.
I know that he is hosting Sirius radio from Graceland, so I thought that some of you who are listening there, might have an oppinion on what kind of person he is, and an idea of what to expect from his upcomming book......

http://www.elvisnews.com/Presentation/Functional/Page/news.aspx?command=show&item=9890
Elvisa, I'll try to listen to George more closely this week for you ;) I'm curious to know what he'd write about too :)

Ricky
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by Ricky »

Elvisa, George is pretty well known, in and outside Memphis, as not having a "self esteem problem". With that being said, I have heard him tell stories over the radio that I'd never heard before. My hope is, it's not filled with stories about people he won't identify ie; " I can't mentioned his real name, but..." Sonny West's book was refreshing in that manner. I'll buy it, signature and all.

Topic author
elvisa

Post by elvisa »

Thank you Vissie, that`ll be great if you would do that, looking foreward to read about your impression of George.
Thanks to you too Ricky, sounds good that he`s not a "self esteem" person, because thats what I think a lot of the people who surrounded Elvis seems to be.
Some of the books I`ve read made me sad and I`d really like to read a book ABOUT Elvis that makes me smile a little bit...the fun and loving side of our man, that we all know he had.....

Elvisa

Vissie

Post by Vissie »

My pleasure ;)

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

elvisa wrote:I was wondering if the book could be something to look foreward to...
Wonder no more -- the answer is No.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
elvisa

Post by elvisa »

Ok DOC, and why not?

drjohncarpenter

elvisa wrote:Ok DOC, and why not?
George is a hack when it comes to his history with Elvis. I'm very surprised he didn't call the book "Elvis, my Best Friend was my Best Man at my wedding." I guess Joe Esposito already used a variation on that one.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
elvisa

Post by elvisa »

Hmm, thanks Doc...I`ll remember your oppinion..... I do appriciate your thoughts...really, thanks again..

Tony Trout

Post by Tony Trout »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisa wrote:Ok DOC, and why not?
George is a hack when it comes to his history with Elvis. I'm very surprised he didn't call the book "Elvis, my Best Friend was my Best Man at my wedding." I guess Joe Esposito already used a variation on that one.

Exactly. Ol' George likes to make himself feel more important in Elvis's world than he actually was...just like Joe E.

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).

Vissie

Post by Vissie »

Elvisa, I'm listening to George now. After the first 30 minutes, I'm not sure what to think. He seems to be a wee bit ego-centric. He talked about owning 5 recordings that Elvis sang that no one has ever heard. He said "RCA doesn't want to strike a deal so..." Does that mean he's holding out for an exorbitant price or RCA isn't at all interested?

Listening to him I remember reading when Elvis had to bail him out of some trouble he had while he was a disc jockey.

TONY

Post by TONY »

[quote="Vissie"] He talked about owning 5 recordings that Elvis sang that no one has ever heard. He said "RCA doesn't want to strike a deal so..." Does that mean he's holding out for an exorbitant price or RCA isn't at all interested?
quote]

My guess is that they are leftovers from the home recordings; probably awful sound quality and even worse in performance quality than Elvis' "Moonlight sonata"!

drjohncarpenter

TONY wrote:My guess is that they are leftovers from the home recordings ...
No, if it's George Klein, they must be SUN outtakes.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Vissie

Post by Vissie »

He rattled off the song titles but I didn't take notice of what they were. He was talking to Argo (Sirius DJ) and George was making snide remarks about RCA.

Vissie

Post by Vissie »

Ok, I've put in nearly an hour with George and I have to turn it off. It's "all about him" and he's starting to make my head pound. He's going to break his arm patting himself on his back.

That's my review Elvisa ;)

Rtn 2 Sndr
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by Rtn 2 Sndr »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Yeah, it's probably outtakes of "UT Party" (Sun 358). Sam probably recorded over a tape of Elvis singing "Tennessee Saturday Night" in order to capture GK's melodious voice on tape!

Vissie

Post by Vissie »

Rtn 2 Sndr wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Yeah, it's probably outtakes of "UT Party" (Sun 358). Sam probably recorded over a tape of Elvis singing "Tennessee Saturday Night" in order to capture GK's melodious voice on tape!
I'm confused :? George's voice on tape? GK was talking about having 5 songs by Elvis (he didn't mention himself) :?

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
He's got:

Without You

Casual Love

Tiger Man

Oakie Boogie

Uncle Pen

All on an original Sun Studio tape.

not

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Rtn 2 Sndr
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by Rtn 2 Sndr »

Vissie wrote:[I'm confused :? George's voice on tape? GK was talking about having 5 songs by Elvis (he didn't mention himself) :?
Vissie:

It was a joke!

But George Klein did record a few songs for Sun around 1958.

Think about this, though: If George Klein has anything worthwhile, and RCA won't make a deal, it's because

(A) The songs are live/home recordings of the same old stuff...

(B) It is too poorly recorded to restore

(C) GK wants RCA to release the songs as "George Klein presents Elvis singing..."

(D) He is trying to make himself financially secure despite what happens with his book...

I've posted earlier about someone choosing Elvis' legacy over their own financial legacy.

Just think for a moment: If Doc Carpenter happened to be right and they were Sun recordings that are previously unknown, why wouldn't GK want to sell them to RCA/FTD? If these five songs were anything earth shattering, I'm sure Ernst would try to shake a little extra money loose to buy it. It would make him a big part of the story and Ernst would give him even more space in the book.

That would appeal to George's self-esteem...as well as provide some promotion for his book...

As for me, I hope GK enjoys his Elvis recordings...

Rtn 2 Sndr
Address Unknown

Vissie

Post by Vissie »

Rtn 2 Sndr wrote:
Vissie wrote:[I'm confused :? George's voice on tape? GK was talking about having 5 songs by Elvis (he didn't mention himself) :?
Vissie:

It was a joke!

But George Klein did record a few songs for Sun around 1958.

Think about this, though: If George Klein has anything worthwhile, and RCA won't make a deal, it's because

(A) The songs are live/home recordings of the same old stuff...

(B) It is too poorly recorded to restore

(C) GK wants RCA to release the songs as "George Klein presents Elvis singing..."

(D) He is trying to make himself financially secure despite what happens with his book...

I've posted earlier about someone choosing Elvis' legacy over their own financial legacy.

Just think for a moment: If Doc Carpenter happened to be right and they were Sun recordings that are previously unknown, why wouldn't GK want to sell them to RCA/FTD? If these five songs were anything earth shattering, I'm sure Ernst would try to shake a little extra money loose to buy it. It would make him a big part of the story and Ernst would give him even more space in the book.

That would appeal to George's self-esteem...as well as provide some promotion for his book...

As for me, I hope GK enjoys his Elvis recordings...
Thanks Rtn 2 Sndr for alerting me to the joke ;)

If George really is sitting on a gold mine, then why isn't an offer being made? I think you're spot on with your comments ~