Post here all polls related to Elvis Albums/Songs Etc.

Best track on "Elvis in person at the..." LP 1969

Poll ended at Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:33 pm

Blues suede shoes
No votes
Johnny B. Good
19%
Hound dog
No votes
I can´t stop loving you
No votes
My babe
22%
Mystery train/Tiger man
7%
Words
4%
In the ghetto
No votes
Suspicious minds
48%
Can´t help falling in love
No votes

Total votes : 27

Best track on "Elvis in Person at the..." LP 1969

Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:33 pm

Hi again! It´s been a while but here we go again. I know that the single LP of "In person" wasn´t released as a single album until 1970, but here I will take the opportunity to split the double LP into two pieces. "Back in Memphis" will follow soon...I hope. This is a tremendious, hard rocking album, and I prefer the harder tunes on this album. James is high up in the mix. The only complain I have is the use of typical stereo separation of the time. Two tracks have to go: On "Are you lonesome tonight", Elvis sounds a bit raw. The studio master is of course unbeatable, but I even prefer the version from Hampton roads in 1972. The other track is difficult. Hound dog is saved by it´s blistering solo from James Burton. So "All shook up" is the second track to leave us. I kind of like the energy level of "Blue suede shoes", but the version of "Johnny B. Good" is even better. "I can´t stop loving you" would be better in the near future. "My babe" and the medley of "Mystery train/Tiger man" are my two favourites on this album. They kick ass! I prefer the 1970 versions of "Words". In the ghetto has no chance compared to the studio master. Suspicious minds" was probably a highlight to the audiences, but on disc, it suffers compared to the studio recording. "Can´t help falling in love" is still ok done, but again Elvis´ voice is a bit rough, compared to the NBC version.

My own vote will go to "My babe"!

Vote on and have a nice day!

//Björn

Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:35 pm

I've always liked this particular version of "Johnny B. Goode." It gets my vote.

Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:18 pm

Rob wrote:I've always liked this particular version of "Johnny B. Goode." It gets my vote.

It´s good. But one thing that annoys me is that Elvis refused to learn the lyrics to the second verse:

"He used to carry his guitar in a gunny sack
Or sit beneath the tree by the railroad track
Oh an engineer could see him sitting in the shade
Strummin' to the rhythm that the drivers made
People passing by they'd stop and say
Oh my but that little country boy can play"

It´s the same story with "Proud Mary"

Regards/Björn

Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:25 pm

dreambear wrote:It´s good. But one thing that annoys me is that Elvis refused to learn the lyrics to the second verse:

Or sit beneath the tree by the railroad track...

It's "Go sit beneath..."

Here's the whole thing:

http://www.bluesforpeace.com/lyrics/johnny-b-goode.htm

Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:47 pm

I'm with Rob on this one. This version of "Johnny B. Goode" absolutely smokes! 8) "MysteryTrain / Tiger Man" not far behind. 8)

Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:15 pm

Impossible to pick just one favorite from this album. High energy all the way, the band is awesome, Elvis is at his best, and I love the studio lp as well. Now if there was a dvd to go with it :!:

Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:13 am

My vote went to Suspicious Minds. Of the officially released versions, this is my favorite.

Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:27 am

Suspicious Minds - the best live version ever released, PERIOD.

Rich

Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:02 am

ColinB wrote:
dreambear wrote:It´s good. But one thing that annoys me is that Elvis refused to learn the lyrics to the second verse:

Or sit beneath the tree by the railroad track...

It's "Go sit beneath..."

Here's the whole thing:

http://www.bluesforpeace.com/lyrics/johnny-b-goode.htm

Correct! I´m sorry!

//björn

Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:40 pm

Why do you assume he didn't know it? Perhaps he just chose not to sing it. There's no law that says you must sing a song exactly as written.

Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:58 pm

JerryNodak wrote:Why do you assume he didn't know it?
Perhaps he just chose not to sing it.
There's no law that says you must sing a song exactly as written.

I guess Dreambear was just annoyed that Elvis never sang the 2nd verse.

And he assumed this was because he didn't know it.

He could be right, of course.

Note to Spelly: No, I can't prove any of this.

Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:32 am

ColinB wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:Why do you assume he didn't know it?
Perhaps he just chose not to sing it.
There's no law that says you must sing a song exactly as written.

I guess Dreambear was just annoyed that Elvis never sang the 2nd verse.

And he assumed this was because he didn't know it.

He could be right, of course.

Note to Spelly: No, I can't prove any of this.

Spot on Colin. But I don´t think this is the case with the "pill" line in "Good time Charlie´s got the blues"....It was to close to the bone I think.

//Björn

Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:32 am

Mystery Train-Tiger Man won, but this is an LP I like every track on. My Babe comes close.

Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:32 pm

dreambear wrote:Spot on Colin. But I don´t think this is the case with the "pill" line in "Good time Charlie´s got the blues"....It was to close to the bone I think.

I reckon you're right !

My understanding is that even the unedited master [1m 23s longer] doesn't have the 'pills' line in it............

Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:43 pm

ColinB wrote:
dreambear wrote:Spot on Colin. But I don´t think this is the case with the "pill" line in "Good time Charlie´s got the blues"....It was to close to the bone I think.

I reckon you're right !

My understanding is that even the unedited master [1m 23s longer] doesn't have the 'pills' line in it............

I haven´t heard that one, but one guess is that is the guitar licks from James Burton that runs for 1 minute and 23 seconds, like a jam. But it´s just a guess.

//björn

Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:55 pm

dreambear wrote:
ColinB wrote:

I reckon you're right !

I haven´t heard that one, but one guess is that is the guitar licks from James Burton that runs for 1 minute and 23 seconds, like a jam. But it´s just a guess.

It's not on any release that I know of.

But yes, probably it's just an extended instrumental on the bit we haven't heard..........

Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:22 pm

I didn't vote, I just couldn't decide between the epic version of Suspicious Minds, and the blistering versions of Johnny B. Goode, My Babe and the Mystery Train-Tiger Man medley. I Can't Stop Loving You is also pretty tough on this album. It comes across as a blues rocker rather than a power ballad.

Regarding Proud Mary Elvis did start using the proper 2cnd verse beginning in '71.

Re: Best track on "Elvis in Person at the..." LP 1969

Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:34 am

"Suspicious Minds" is so dynamic on this lp, I gotta give it the vote....but Elvis and the band are on fire during "Mystery Train/Tiger Man"...and he actually does "Are You Lonesome Tonight" without any clowning....'Johnny B. Goode" is great, even without the second verse...

Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:15 am

There isn't a bad track on this LP, but "Suspicious Minds" stands out. The best live version ever.

Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:35 pm

The stand-out track for me would have to be "Suspicious Minds" with "Mystery Train"/"Tiger Man" coming in a very close second.....

Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:14 pm

I voted for Johnny B Goode. The best version by Elvis. JBG would have done well in the singles chart if it was released as a single. The live version of Suspicious Minds was to long on this album. Nearly 7 or 8 minutes long. If Elvis did not like SM he enjoyed this version.

Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:43 pm

My vote went to Johnny B Goode as well. It's raw.

Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:10 am

JOHNNY B. GOOD 8)

Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:58 pm

My vote went for My Babe - cool tune 8)

Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:50 pm

Marc Haegeman wrote:There isn't a bad track on this LP, but "Suspicious Minds" stands out. The best live version ever.

I agree with this.