And now, the end is near ...

Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Rich_TCB
Registered for: 21 years 3 months

And now, the end is near ...

Post by Rich_TCB »

PEP wrote:I'm going to try and make this as clear as possible, I have the feeling more threads are going to go in the future, Not because any One member has requested a thread to be deleted, but because as a example the latest thread that went this morning was all my doing, I will No longer Tolerate anyone not getting along, if I see this happening and I feel I do not have time to edit or waste my time going through PM's all day, I will just delete the thread and be done with it and No one else will be to blame than the people who felt they would rather argue, fight , put down, call each other names and just feel they do not need to follow the topic at hand or follow the rules.

This has been pointed out many, many times over the last eight months, not sure what it will take for everyone to finally get the message.

Personally I think we are seriously looking at shutting down the board, maybe for good, because some just feel our rules mean nothing to them.

Anyway this coming weekend I will be having a chat with the other administrators, my vote in going in for closing the board down, because No matter how hard I try some just do not get it.

This moderating has become a job for me instead of it being fun, I personally do not mind helping out someone who doesn't' have a answer for something or for someone who makes a honest mistake, but when it's the same core people in two little circle's that just don't get it, it's best to call it a day.

AEK will always be there and then everyone can go after each other there if they want.

But for me if I don't see some change in the next few days in a positive direction I'm out of here and maybe the board will be too, thanks to a few who just do not get it.

Anyway I'm not holding my breath, things don't look good.

Now, this doesn't mean the website will go, just the message board, but if you do see the message board close don't be surprised.

So whatever your problem's are between each other gentlemen work it out, because the clock is running.

PEP 8)
This is very sad.

I personally think this is THE best Elvis Presley messageboard around. It has already closed down once before, and I gotta say, it was torture waiting to see if/when it would come back.

I don't know what else to say, except that I seriously hope that this forum is not closed down, and something can be worked out.

HOWEVER, if it IS closed down, then I would like to hear from the other forum members about a "plan B".

Where should we migrate to, so we can still be in communication with each other?

(TCB-World, for example?)

I've known so many people on this forum, and learned so much about Elvis Presley, for such a long time now, that I would really hate to see it disappear. And would hate to not be in touch with you all.

Rich

ImageImageImage

Narek
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Narek »

I seriously hope there will be no need for plan B.

He's the King. No matter what you think.

Mike Eder
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by Mike Eder »

PEP I too get mad when people are rude on here. Some people on here really burst my bubble about who I thought they were, but it really has changed for the better now overall. If you look at my history I would post a few weeks get insulted and leave. Now I have been posting regularly for a few months and even people I have had run ins with before have been far more polite then before. I have some views and tastes that go against the norm and people here have been quite open to what I have to say. I don't think that would have been the case say two-three years back. So while I think the few people on here who are rude need to learn to use the same manners they would if we were all face to face, don't take away an informative entertaining board from the rest of us. Perhaps the ones that won't learn can be eliminated by a three strikes and your out rule. Just my 2 cents.

Mike Eder

Renan
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Re: And now, the end is near ...

Post by Renan »

PEP wrote:But for me if I don't see some change in the next few days in a positive direction I'm out of here and maybe the board will be too, thanks to a few who just do not get it.
I can not understand the situation. Why shut down this MB? Because of a few people that cannot live without causing problems?

The solution is too easy! Delete this kind of people. Remove them from the MB and let the good people to continue here.

We can not pay the price because of a minority. Come on! The idea of shutting down the MB is an absurd IMO.

Just delete them! And the problem is solved. If they return to bother in the MB with other nicknames, delete them again.

Best Regards!
Renan.

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

PEP -
I missed the thread where folks were fighting, but I'd like to suggest something to you and the FECC powers-that-be. Rather than shutting the mb down because of a few offenders why not put the offenders on a suspension from the board? A 3 strikes and you're out policy. First offence the offender(s) get a stern warning to cut the crap. The second offence they get a month long suspension from the mb. Third offence and they're history. Why should the majority of us who abide by the rules and enjoy this great forum have to suffer because of a few offenders?

TALLHAIR 2

and now,

Post by TALLHAIR 2 »

Mike feel free to use my name, if you like.
But there are no topics on racial matters, no gay bashing, no serious anti
church/ mosque kicking... Why in the first place, Pep, would you waste
your time playing referee?
Were adults. I dont need to be corrected by somebody in a bar when
I curse and tell people to pizz off. Were not boy scouts, are we?
If you rather see everybody agreeing with each other, and telling
each other just how wonderful the Elvis fan world is, then yes,
I should shut up. But long as I have stories to share and have a good
time, I will permit myself to say what I please. Just like in the real
world. And if that goes together with remarks from people being
disappointed in my choise of words, because they have a different
picture of me... well, so be it. In Holland you can say anything you
please, on radio, TV, wherever. And thats something quite valuable
to us Dutch.

Liverbobs
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by Liverbobs »

Great idea Pete, I second this.

"How Do You Expect Me To Soar Like An Eagle When I'm Surrounded By Turkeys? " .Anon.

Swithin StCleeve

Post by Swithin StCleeve »

Why not stop moderating if it takes up so much of your time? Just let the forum run on unmoderated. People will do their own 'moderating' like in the real world. It won't go downhill unless people let it.
And if I'm honest, the thread deletion thing is annoying, and no-one likes being told to "play nice" when they're over school leaving age, so if I were you I'd just let it run. The world won't end.

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Don´t close the board..it is too important for us lvis fans..
It´s the best quality MB in the net..

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Re: and now,

Post by Cryogenic »

TALLHAIR 2 wrote:Mike feel free to use my name, if you like.
to us Dutch.
While I sympathise with PEP and anyone that feels stressed out and at the end of their tether, I fundamentally agree with this. Most people, if and when they have differences and choose to air them, usually sort things out of their own volition, without outside intervention. If such intervention is felt necessary, then those people -- as Pete suggested -- could be temporarily suspended, rather than the entire board being wiped. And as I said in the thread where PEP made that announcement: it'd be better for the board to be locked, rather than deleted. A lot of substance is contained within these 1's and 0's. Just think of the detective work in the "Picture Section" alone! And, surely, the powers that be can still see that this is -- BY FAR -- the single best EP board on the Internet! We have lots of characters, lots of discussions, lots of picture postings; the works.

P.S. Ger: You're alright. I respect you for always speaking your mind, even if I don't always agree with what you're saying.

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****

Post by ekenee »

TALLHAIR 2 wrote:Mike feel free to use my name, if you like.
to us Dutch.
This messageboard is just like the real world with its mix of people and opinions and bickering. Why play referee indeed? You must have trouble coping in the world. If you are to shut down the messageboard, then why not shut down the world itself?

kuenzer
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by kuenzer »

We need moderation because of the possibility of people spamming, campaigning, ... Remember the "brown dog"?

Speaking of the real world: If you are in a pub and don't behave (I mean, if you really get obnoxious, not just dropping a bad word here or there, and not just having a negative opinion on something the majority thinks positively about), you get warned and then thrown out. If you come back and continue to stir up trouble, you might even get kicked out forever.

But I've never seen a pub that got demolished just because the owner thought some guest wouldn't behave.

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

Swithin StCleeve wrote:Why not stop moderating if it takes up so much of your time? Just let the forum run on unmoderated. People will do their own 'moderating' like in the real world. It won't go downhill unless people let it.
And if I'm honest, the thread deletion thing is annoying, and no-one likes being told to "play nice" when they're over school leaving age, so if I were you I'd just let it run. The world won't end.
No, there has to be some moderation, I've seen a few boards destroyed without it, not so much by existing members, but from haters who join for that reason alone. Also, I'm sure it's not easy for PEP, afterall, he is the one that has to answer the PM's. That being said, it's always okay to disagree, as long as it doesn't become a personal attack.

Rob

Post by Rob »

Cryogenic wrote:Ger: You're alright. I respect you for always speaking your mind, even if I don't always agree with what you're saying.
I very seldom agree with anything he has to say, but he has every right to say what he wants. If there are those who disagree, they have the option of posting a rebuttal or moving on to the next topic. I'm sure there are those who do not agree with things I say as well, though I cannot imagine in my wildest dreams who that would be.

If this board closes down tomorrow, so be it. It is not a matter of life or death that I come to this board every day. I enjoy being here and I do get entertained by some here and shake my head at others. It would be a shame though to close it down because people can't get along.

I wouldn't take things so seriously, PEP. There are major things in this world to lose sleep over. This board is not one of them. If you have to knock some heads together, then do it. If they don't learn, then they don't come back. It's quite simple really and definitely nothing to stress over.

Make me the moderator for a day. We'll have about ten members left. Hell, I may even ban myself.

Have a happy!

Richard Palmer

Post by Richard Palmer »

Swithin StCleeve wrote:Why not stop moderating if it takes up so much of your time? Just let the forum run on unmoderated. People will do their own 'moderating' like in the real world. It won't go downhill unless people let it.
You know what I think of moderating - I don't like it - but all the same I have to disagree with you in this case, and here's why.

This board is connected to the FECC web site, and my guess is that the people who run it and who presumably pay for the bandwidth or whatever it is they pay for, need to make sure that anybody who advertises on it (those annoying popups) can be sure that it doesn't link to a "cesspool" of a message board. I can't remember exactly where I first heard that phrase....

So the choice - if my assumption is correct - is either moderate, or don't exist at all. And if it's getting to be impossible to moderate due to time restrictions, then in the absence of any other solution (getting a team of moderators to help out?) it has to go.

Have I got that right?

TINML
Registered for: 21 years 2 months

Post by TINML »

Please don't shut it down!

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

Narek
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Narek »

TALLHAIR 2 wrote:M
I should shut up.
And you feel comfortable doing that with female board members around too?They read the posts where you tell people to pizz off too.

He's the King. No matter what you think.

TALLHAIR 2

and now,

Post by TALLHAIR 2 »

Narek, is it true, in your country they still buy women with goats?

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

TALLHAIR 2 wrote:Narek, is it true, in your country they still buy women with goats?
I guess a woman with a goat is better than no woman at all....

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Spanish_Eyes
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by Spanish_Eyes »

With all respect to PEP, if he feels he´s not able to handle the forum (which is waaaaaaaaay tame in terms of the members' behavior in comparison to other boards), just resign and let another one take the "job"

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

ColinB wrote:
TALLHAIR 2 wrote:Narek, is it true, in your country they still buy women with goats?
Who needs a woman when you have a goat? :)

Bodie
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by Bodie »

I really dont understand why anyone would want to shut this messageboard down.
As far as Elvis fans go, it defies all logic.

Its very imformative, great education on Elvis.

If i need to find out something i go into search, tap in a word and read the thread with the posts.
Its like an Elvis's fans Encyclopedia.

The picture section's amazing.So many pictures i have never seen before.
Now there is talk that we might lose it, over what?
A few fans winding each other up, getting under each others skin?

As for The Doc (God bless him :wink: ), i have learnt not to take his replies that serious and have found him to be very knowledegable and he has helped me out with some questions i have asked and some that i have not asked.
He is a great asset to a great forum and im amazed adults get so annoyed with him.

In fact, i look forward to his replies with pleasure.
John from Woodley pulled one over on him by educating him about the 'Masters and Sessions' site needed updating and reminded him about the statement regarding 'Im a Roustabout'. :lol: :lol:

A great 'cat and mouse ' game done in a friendly way i thought, very amusing and totally harmless.But thats how it should be, a few laughs and wind-ups done but nothing malicous.

Its not to be taken too serious thats certain things said or certain members are gonna make you depressed.
Yes, i think the messageboard needs to bring in a few rules but im begging for the sake of all us Elvis fans, please can we keep this messageboard open.

Life is too short as all know.
Plus, i really dont want to start watching 'Eastenders' again. :lol: :lol:

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I wonder how much of our time would be reinvested in the real world or if it would be replaced with participation on other internet sites!

On to the topic at hand – threatening to shut down the messageboard doesn’t sit well personally. Agreed we do not contribute to the running costs (whatever they are) but the substance of a messageboard is created by its contributing members. It wouldn’t be fair to those who have spent considerable time on this site with discussions, research, and the sharing of information to simply take it away. I would go as far to say there is almost a burden of responsibility to make sure it stays active! PEP has shown himself to be pretty even minded, happy, and fair with regards to moderation here – many internet forums resemble a dictatorship when it comes to moderation and for that we are very lucky.

I echo those suggesting that the simplest and fairest thing to do is when a rule is broken, or seen to be continuously broken those committing the offence are simply banned from board, whoever they are or however long they’ve been here. Of course a warning would be nice! No need to enter a PM discussion for example if someone rebuts the claim.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Pete Dube wrote:
ColinB wrote:
Who needs a woman when you have a goat? :)
You're kidding !

Colin B

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

To get back on topic...

The weak link on this MB is the moderator.

Colin B