All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:07 pm

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:That's a great cover. I think the "complete sessions" is a little false. To me complete sessions means all outtakes. That's clearly not the case. These tracks can be found on the FTD Elvis Presley.

TALLHAIR 2 wrote:... no matter the kool cover shot, its obvious where the Lawdy& Shake outtakes originated from. No good move JP. No good at all.

The cover is a BEAUTIUL Wertheimer true color shot, but it is not an unreleased July 2, 1956 image.

It was first published in BxW on the cover of Musician magazine -- albeit reversed -- in October 1992 ->

As for the material, was not the beautiful BMG 2xCD deluxe edition of Elvis Presley released less than one year ago? The sound by 50s guru Kevan Budd was a sheer delight. The inconsequential Davis interview was a nice little extra. What true fan does not already own this FTD product?

Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:27 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:As for the material, was not the beautiful BMG 2xCD deluxe edition of Elvis Presley released less than one year ago? The sound by 50s guru Kevan Budd was a sheer delight. The inconsequential Davis interview was a nice little extra. What true fan does not already own this FTD product?

Ahh, but Doc dear fellow, did you miss the special bonus recordings:

My Baby Left Me - Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup (Bonus Track)
Hound Dog - Freddie Bell And The Bell Boys (Bonus Track)
So Glad You're Mine - Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup (Bonus Track)

And also the fact that with this release Joe will continue to “clean up the arguable mess Kevan Budd has made to the 50’s master recordings on FTD.”?

Enticing ingredients!

Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:57 pm

Hasn't Keith Flynn already alerted us to what, taken on face value, might be the most interesting (at least to completists) item in this collection - the undubbed edited master of Shake Rattle & Roll?

Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:02 am

Spellbinder wrote:Hasn't Keith Flynn already alerted us to what, taken on face value, might be the most interesting (at least to completists) item in this collection - the undubbed edited master of Shake Rattle & Roll?

Oh, they just ripped the undubbed, unedited master from FTD - & edited it themselves !

Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:09 am

ColinB wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:Hasn't Keith Flynn already alerted us to what, taken on face value, might be the most interesting (at least to completists) item in this collection - the undubbed edited master of Shake Rattle & Roll?

Oh, they just ripped the undubbed, unedited master from FTD - & edited it themselves !

B A S T A R D S ! ! !

Bring it on !!!!!!!!!

Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:12 pm

Having bought the three previous MRS releases I must say im very impressed with them.I will pass judgement when my New York cd arrives.It would not make sense to release this so soon after the FTD cd usless they had something up their sleeve.So keep them comin MRS, I for one am a happy customer.

Re: Bring it on !!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:08 am

Will wrote:It would not make sense to release this so soon after the FTD cd usless they had something up their sleeve.

Are you suggesting there is a rabbit included with each copy?

Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:28 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Will wrote:It would not make sense to release this so soon after the FTD cd usless they had something up their sleeve.

They ain't never caught a rabbit...

Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:37 am

Cryogenic wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

They ain't never caught a rabbit...

And he ain't no friend o' mine! :wink:

Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:15 am

:D
At least/last a new chance to finaly have fifties songs in good sound quality for me !
Looking forward to it.

Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:19 am

Ringrock wrote:At least/last a new chance to finaly have fifties songs in good sound quality for me ! Looking forward to it.

Did you miss out on the deluxe, 2xCD edition of Elvis Presley (FTD)?

Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:07 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Ringrock wrote:At least/last a new chance to finaly have fifties songs in good sound quality for me ! Looking forward to it.

Did you miss out on the deluxe, 2xCD edition of Elvis Presley (FTD)?

It would appear to be the case. Thankfully this quality release with the BEST 50s sound quality is still available. Failing that, the masters can be found in many a good CD rack on the 2005 releases on BMG: "Elvis Presley", "Elvis", and "Loving You", not to mention the acclaimed "Elvis at Sun" from 2004.

This is a good time to be an Elvis fan.

Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:09 am

Matthew wrote:This is a good time to be an Elvis fan.

Agreed -- and more good things on CD and DVD are to come!

Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:21 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Maybe even "Elvis In Concert", eh, Doc? :wink:

hehe

Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:42 pm

If the dry master of thats all right and the tupelo footage are not special then I give in Doc !!!!! :lol:

Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:57 pm

Btw, what happened to the second part of the interview with Joe Pizza that has been announced in July?

Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:02 pm

kuenzer wrote:Btw, what happened to the second part of the interview with Joe Pizza that has been announced in July?

They are waiting to hear what topping you want.................

Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:51 pm

ColinB wrote:
kuenzer wrote:Btw, what happened to the second part of the interview with Joe Pizza that has been announced in July?

They are waiting to hear what topping you want.................

Of course I'd like to see him topping FTD again. Maybe with the complete Loving You session? He is my personal top topper.

Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:05 pm

Here's the way it went down, at least in my mind.

They hired Tyra Banks to do the interview, because she has the reputation of laying out the tough questions. She is edgy.

So, what happened was, Tyra started out by saying,
"very nice to meet you mr. Pizzia", and he lost it.
He snapped back and called her "Tyra Barks".
And she said, "are you calling me a dog?"
And he replied, "tyra barks, tyra barks".
And she replied, "so do you copy FTD cd's?"
And he replied, "Are your boobs real?"
And she replied, "They are real, and they are spectacular"
And he replied, "So are my DVD/CD projects"
And she replied, "where do you buy your clothes"
And he replied, "Target"
And she replied, "So do I"
And he replied, "do you want to go out"
And she replied, "ok".

then the tape ends, so no part 2 of the interview.

Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:35 pm

Cryogenic wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Maybe even "Elvis In Concert", eh, Doc? :wink:

I said "good things" ...

Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:52 pm

kuenzer wrote:Of course I'd like to see him topping FTD again.

Surely this would have had to have happened once in order for the "again" to qualify in reality.

Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:33 am

Matthew wrote:
kuenzer wrote:smt175 Of course I'd like to see him smt175 topping smt175 FTD again.smt175

Surely this would have had to have happened once in order for the "again" to qualify in reality.

Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:40 pm

Basically , I welcome this release it adds where FTD stopped (maybe forced due to buget?) and it's in a right perspective.
I enjoy the ftd releases but it's always like they give us almost everything and surprise next year a "newly discovered"song etc.
Secondly look what all unknow labels and I mean dozens release which aren't EP fans... the same songs but without the aim for quality. So to me thinking of what I can expect its a very good deal a book and a disc loaded with very good sound. I guess the size will be like the previous ones.

Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:53 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
RKSNASHVILLE wrote:That's a great cover. I think the "complete sessions" is a little false. To me complete sessions means all outtakes. That's clearly not the case. These tracks can be found on the FTD Elvis Presley.

TALLHAIR 2 wrote:... no matter the kool cover shot, its obvious where the Lawdy& Shake outtakes originated from. No good move JP. No good at all.

The cover is a BEAUTIUL Wertheimer true color shot, but it is not an unreleased July 2, 1956 image.

It was first published in BxW on the cover of Musician magazine -- albeit reversed -- in October 1992 ->

Whatever happened to that magazine? I gather it's been defunct for years. It's one of many that just kind of silently left the scene, not that I ever really did much to help it succceed...

From 1987 or so, I also seem to recall the excellent Alan and Susan Raymond documentary "Elvis '56" making great use of this same photo during the segment about the recording of "Hound Dog" or "Don't Be Cruel" and they used it repeatedly in combination of other studio shots, for a video of sorts. If it wasn't the same one, it was very close.

And so it goes with many such "new" shots...It's a nice cover, but I'll wait and see the feedback on this set. The official FTD "Classic Album" set on on "Elvis Presley" has more than satiated me...

But public domain law (assuming it's actually been followed here!) does allow for such repackaging, and unlike some elsewhere, I agree with the idea that after 50 years, after the original artist has been paid and his dependents, that eventually the work effectively belongs to all of us and thus come such repackages. RCA and successor corporations have more than made back their investment , the family paid, etc. so all in all, unlike too many Hayride sets, we ought to applaud the better packages like this one, where appropriate.

I'm incined to think only the RCA/BMG/Sony version is necessary, with this going to random novices who come across it as well as die-hard collector / completists and / or Fifties Afficionados.

Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:28 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:From 1987 or so, I also seem to recall the excellent Alan and Susan Raymond documentary "Elvis '56" making great use of this same photo during the segment about the recording of "Hound Dog" or "Don't Be Cruel" and they used it repeatedly in combination of other studio shots, for a video of sorts. If it wasn't the same one, it was very close.

Just had another look at that ["Don't Be Cruel"] segment and surprisingly the 'new' shot wasn't used for that video although as you say they did repeat a few similar ones including this:

Last edited by The Purple Gang on Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.