All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

New York RCA Studio 1: The Complete Sessions [MRS]

Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:28 pm

This has recently been listed for pre-order on play.com
Due for release 12 November. Their price £16.99 delivered.
http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/3497428/New-York-Rca-Studio-1-The-Complete-Sessions/Product.html

New York Rca Studio 1: The Complete Sessions
(With Bonus DVD-A & Book)

Track List
Blue Suede Shoes
My Baby Left Me
One Sided Love Affair
So Glad You"Re Mine
I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Cry (Over You)
Tutti Frutti
Lawdy, Miss Clawdy
Shake Rattle And Roll
Hound Dog
Don't Be Cruel
Anyway You Want Me (That's How I Will Be)
Don Davis Interviews Elvis
Lawdy Miss Clawdy Sessions
Shake Rattle And Roll Sessions
Shake Rattle And Roll - (Undubbed Edit Master)
My Baby Left Me - Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup (Bonus Track)
Hound Dog - Freddie Bell And The Bell Boys (Bonus Track)
So Glad You're Mine - Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup (Bonus Track)

Book has a stunning collection of rare and unpublished photographs of Elvis at the New York Sessions by famous photographer,
Alfred Wertheimer.

Free Bonus Disc: DVD‐ AUDIO 5.1/Dolby Digital. The DVD‐A version contains the same tracks as the CD and is remastered in high quality 24 bit 96 kHz sound and is accompaniedby rare photographs. Experience and notice the difference in sound quality on these famous recordings for the first time ever!

Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:39 pm

Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:20 pm

That's a great cover. I think the "complete sessions" is a little false. To me complete sessions means all outtakes. That's clearly not the case.

These tracks can be found on the FTD Elvis Presley.

RKS

Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:39 pm

Sounds like good value for £17 to me !!!

Excellent cover shot - any idea how many pages ?

Complete does seem a tad exagerated

new york rca

Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:17 pm

... no matter the kool cover shot, its obvious where the Lawdy& Shake
outtakes originated from. No good move JP. No good at all.

Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:33 pm

I won't buy this release although the cover looks pretty cool.
Why on earth does everyone complain about FTD's release policy when the same people cheer about this bootlegged thing!?

Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:02 pm

What's with this DVD-A ?? You can only play it through the telly? What's that all about?

Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:06 pm

etp wrote:I won't buy this release although the cover looks pretty cool.
Why on earth does everyone complain about FTD's release policy when the same people cheer about this bootlegged thing!?

It's an official release made under the 50 year rule, so not a bootleg, but as an official release he will at least have to pay the publishing to the songwriters.

Your point is well taken, but you could equally ask why some people cheer bootleg releases where no publishing is paid, and complain about releases like this where it is?

Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:19 pm

I think they should've just released the DVD with the enhanced sound, that way they could justify using the FTD source, as it is the really cannot do that with the CD.
The average man on the street won't know any different though, that's why they've done it.

Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:23 pm

TJ wrote:

It's an official release made under the 50 year rule, so not a bootleg, but as an official release he will at least have to pay the publishing to the songwriters.

Your point is well taken, but you could equally ask why some people cheer bootleg releases where no publishing is paid, and complain about releases like this where it is?

This is NOT an official release. An official release can only be made by the owner of the recording, in this case SonyBMG.

It is a legal, if not moral, release in certain parts of the world.

Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:41 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:
This is NOT an official release. An official release can only be made by the owner of the recording, in this case SonyBMG.

You make a good point there, I think the DVD will be good, but bundling it with a CD is pretty pointless. The only reason they give is that you can compare sound quality, thats like making a set with a VHS and DVD, we allready know there's going to be a difference in quality.

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:37 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:
TJ wrote:

OK, my point was that it is a legal release, not an illegal release, which the bootlegs are. The point stands.

Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:20 pm

Swithin StCleeve wrote:What's with this DVD-A ?? You can only play it through the telly? What's that all about?

Some people's DVD audio system would put the average person's Hi-Fi to shame. There's also the people - like me - who don't have a Hi-Fi in their living room, and who play a lot of music via the DVD player. This way you at least get to look at a few pretty pictures while you're doing it. I think it's a good idea to have both CD and DVD available in the same package.

Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:36 pm

Richard Palmer wrote:
Swithin StCleeve wrote:What's with this DVD-A ?? You can only play it through the telly? What's that all about?

Some people's DVD audio system would put the average person's Hi-Fi to shame. There's also the people - like me - who don't have a Hi-Fi in their living room, and who play a lot of music via the DVD player. This way you at least get to look at a few pretty pictures while you're doing it. I think it's a good idea to have both CD and DVD available in the same package.

Sounds silly to me. I have one small portable telly with sh*t sound, yet three CD systems in my place, (two with excellent sound). I'd have no use for this if I've got to play it through the bloody telly!

Re: new york rca

Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:41 pm

TALLHAIR 2 wrote:... no matter the kool cover shot, its obvious where the Lawdy& Shake
outtakes originated from. No good move JP. No good at all.

Master & Session ?

Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:34 am

This DVD A has got to be BS!

Unless the source was actual original RCA tapes then they must have originated from an existing CD. No prizes for guessing the most likely one.

So the original CD woul;d have been 16 bit, 44.1 KHZ. Lifting this to 24 bit 96 KHZ would not improve the quality one iota. In fact it could be worse by introducing a further stage.

Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:52 am

Swithin StCleeve wrote:
Richard Palmer wrote:

Sounds silly to me. I have one small portable telly with sh*t sound, yet three CD systems in my place, (two with excellent sound). I'd have no use for this if I've got to play it through the bloody telly!

The bit about me listening to music through my TV is obviously neither here not there as far as this is concerned, that's just a personal preference. But in theory, you can get vastly superior sound with a DVD-A than you can with a CD. I think it's overkill myself, but I do find them useful in my own circumstances.

Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:00 am

I think it will be interesting to see exactly what sources MRS have for this release, as 'My Baby Left Me' (MRS/HMV Single) did sound quite different to the same song on FTD's 'Elvis Presley'.

Also, as far as I can see from the track listing - The undubbed edited Master of 'Shake Rattle & Roll' is totally unreleased as of yet, so it can't have been ripped off from anything!

Interesting indeed!

Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:29 am

One clue could be that of all the 1956 interviews, the set has the Don Davis one. Coincidence?

Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:32 am

ekenee wrote:One clue could be that of all the 1956 interviews, the set has the Don Davis one. Coincidence?

See above - You missed my point!

Maybe they have the original acetate of the Don Davis interview, and it is maybe longer than the FTD interview!

So again, It can't have been ripped off from anything!

We'll see!

Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:51 am

I have no use for neither the CD nor the DVD.

This session has already been cover by Ger Rijff in "Songs Of Innocence" and in different Wertheimer books, but the press release does say there will be many "rare and unreleased" photos in there as well. Which sounds cool. But am I the only one who thinks Elvis looked like a different person during this session? There is something severly wrong with his hair! :D

Keith Richards, Jr.

new york rca

Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:15 am

... His hair? Lack of pomade ( grease) I guess?
But even more obvious is the eye make up missing.
On the color material his "bedroom eyes" look is badly missing.
Wertheimer himself didnt really liked the results of the color
material, and neither did RCA, as only the classic black & white
photos were used by them for promotion and actual record sleeves.

But there is some kool color material, shot backstage at the Mosque,
in Richmond. But the ones Id seen, while in New York, back in 89,
have never seen a release... At the time, he only had 2 duplicates
available. One turned up on the cover of "Hottest Thing" , and one
inside the book.

HAIR

Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:23 pm

Elvis' hair in the cover picture looks more like Jerry Lee Lewis'!!

Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:20 pm

ekenee wrote:One clue could be that of all the 1956 interviews, the set has the Don Davis one. Coincidence?

Nope, on the new MRS set it will be from the original acetate that was purchased from John Tefteller. (Just to stop anymore rumours from spreading) :wink:

Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:48 pm

elvis presley scrapbook wrote:

Nope, on the new MRS set it will be from the original acetate that was purchased from John Tefteller. (Just to stop anymore rumours from spreading) :wink:

Thanks for the clarification. That's an interesting interview with John Tefteller you have on your website.