All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:02 am

:wink: Forget the spelling Piers has done his usual fantastic review..... pity he doesn't have the time to review all the other boots as well!! :roll:

Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:49 am

ColinB wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:It is STILL on TV today -- it debuted on CBS-TV about the same time Elvis Presley (LPM-1254) was issued by RCA, over 51 years ago.

Wow............ cast has changed, I hope................

:lol: Yes, I've not noticed others comment on this pop culture reference by the uncaged Elvis, but I've always taken a strange comfort that such shows (that I personally recall from being home "sick" during the '70s), somehow soldier on, and yes, in some cases, some formerly hot (and involved) leading ladies are now relegated to the knowing 70-(or 80-something) granny who works the hospital front desk...

Tallhair wrote:
SC told me, sales ( also due to downloading from certain sites)
has gone down in a big way. American 5 is doing 40% less
than the previous four...

Sigh ! They would surely wave the "hypocrisy" banner, but who are these punks who help ruin the Elvis import market with their conveninent rationalizations? Thanks for nothing, fellow Elvis "fans."

We listen to the download disciples tell us how liberating and modern is the whole I-Pod / MP-3 / download phenomenon, but the reality is that a lot of great music of the past (in this case) and today is simply not being heard or distributed as the "free" music takes its toll...

Rockin' in the Free World
Nobody pays for music anymore. Except for the people making it. Just ask Hotspur.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/display.php?id=8081

Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:46 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Tallhair wrote:
SC told me, sales ( also due to downloading from certain sites)
has gone down in a big way. American 5 is doing 40% less
than the previous four...

Sigh ! They would surely wave the "hypocrisy" banner, but who are these punks who help ruin the Elvis import market with their conveninent rationalizations? Thanks for nothing, fellow Elvis "fans."

Yeah, the CD-R people are beyond cheap... :twisted:

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:23 am

John from Woodley wrote:
ColinB wrote:
John from Woodley wrote:John from Woodley falls off chair.

You all right there, John ?

Better now after a good night's sleep. I do wish Spelly wouldn't do that.

I, too, have had a good night's sleep and am off shortly for a few days break in the Peak District. I'm sure I'll be fully recovered on my return.

Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:43 am

John from Woodley wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:
John from Woodley wrote:
ColinB wrote:

I, too, have had a good night's sleep and am off shortly for a few days break in the Peak District. I'm sure I'll be fully recovered on my return.

Have a great time. Hope it doesn't get too stormy. Missing you already.

He's really off to Florida to check Vissie out....................

Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:45 am

Spellbinder wrote:2. I've been warned if I didn't stop my crusade I was for the high jump.

Did you correct the, commas in that warning?

Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:37 pm

John from Woodley wrote:
ColinB wrote:
John from Woodley wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:
John from Woodley wrote:
ColinB wrote:

Have a great time. Hope it doesn't get too stormy. Missing you already.

He's really off to Florida to check Vissie out....................

I know. I'm going too. Haven't you got your tickets yet?

No passport.............................

Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:45 pm

I wonder what will happen when Ernst releases his: The complete "From Elvis In Memphis" sessions FTD classic album boxed set?

tracklist for

Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:55 pm

Let us in on what you exspect to happen, Bajo?
A 6 cd boxset with 120 pages book...? Give us a hint of
youre hopes and thoughts...?

Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:56 pm

bajo wrote:I wonder what will happen when Ernst releases his: The complete "From Elvis In Memphis" sessions FTD classic album boxed set?

Personally I have all the Memphis '69 outtakes I'll ever need on "American Way". It is the definite release as far as I'm concerned. We also have some stuff on "Memhis Sessions" and various boxsets. We have already seen all known photos from these sessions, Southern Comfort has included tons of photos from the period in their booklets, Blondie has written the definite text about the sessions in "A Life In Music"... There is nothing left to do with this stuff now.

All I want from Sony/BMG now is Vic Anesini remastered versions of "From Elvis In Memphis" and "Back In Memphis".

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:06 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Personally I have all the Memphis '69 outtakes I'll ever need on "American Way".

Me too. I'd still have to get any FTD releases that may appear though. I've come this far with FTD, I can't stop now.

But, hey...that's just me.

Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:27 pm

Thing is, I would like to have the complete sessions in a boxed set that's all, only MO! Besides, the imports are hard to get, and expensive in my corner of the world!
I'm not too much for the paperworks! I'm mostly for the music in best possible sound! Simple package doesn't worry me to much, as long as the musical content is there!
I guess when we finally have the FTD classics of the two Memphis albums, they hopeully will be filled with the remaining, unreleased outtakes, that we've not already have from BMG/FTD.

Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:54 pm

Here is the list of takes on the Memphis Sessions FTD that are not on the American Way series (as far as I could see; source is Keith's site; I remarked "stereo" if this makes the difference).

If I'm A Fool (For Loving You) Take 3 stereo
Only The Strong Survive Take 22
Kentucky Rain Take 9 stereo
Stranger In My Own Home Town (unedited master) stereo
Suspicious Minds Take 5 (part) stereo
Suspicious Minds Take 6 stereo
Hey Jude Take 1
Hey Jude Take 5
In The Ghetto Take 11 stereo
In The Ghetto Take 14
From A Jack To A King Takes 1-3
I'm Movin On Take 1
I'm Movin On (unedited master)
Wearin' That Loved On Look Take 3 stereo
Wearin' That Loved On Look Take 10 stereo
You'll Think Of Me Take 8 stereo
You'll Think Of Me Take 14
Long Black Limousine Take 6 stereo

Chances are that there is still more in the vaults. As for me, I am interested.

Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:01 pm

Shame a better source for the True Love Travels rehearsal can't be found - that is an awesome performance.

Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:02 pm

kingepfan wrote:It should also be noted that for us in the US. The dollar is losing it's value in a drastic way. This doesn't help when one wants to purchase boots. The exchange rates are becoming attrocious. Even the Mexican Peso has gained ground on the dollar.

It's getting harder on the little guy when his money doesn't go as far as it used to. The prices to obtain said boots are only going to continue to go up as long as the value of the dollar goes down for us in the US.

What is your suggestion here ?? smt154

Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:23 pm

BIGREDG wrote:
kingepfan wrote:It should also be noted that for us in the US. The dollar is losing it's value in a drastic way. This doesn't help when one wants to purchase boots. The exchange rates are becoming attrocious. Even the Mexican Peso has gained ground on the dollar.

It's getting harder on the little guy when his money doesn't go as far as it used to. The prices to obtain said boots are only going to continue to go up as long as the value of the dollar goes down for us in the US.

What is your suggestion here ?? smt154[/quote

An option: MOVE TO EUROPE where all imports are produced :-).

Btw, I have some info from well informed insiders: prices of Import CDs will go higher. Also in Europe. But definitely more in USA, because the "scissors" between USD and EUR are more and more "opened".... not too long time ago USD was equeal to EUR. Now the difference in exchange rate is really huge and it will be even worse next year.

tracklist for

Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:03 am

... I see no reason why the boots must go up in price, with the
exception of delivery to the US ?! Aren't the "middlemen" making
enough already?! I can't speak up for others, but if prices do go
up on SC and future Baxter releases, its not because wholesale
is goin' up. It's the dealers, who do already make the best profits,
raise their prices. So better check them out first.

Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:46 pm

Kingepfan.

Apologies for the "rudeness" - no offence intended.

The "retail" price of imports, on ebay especially, has been reducing steadily for the past 3 years. Average reduction I would say of 30%.

But USA CD prices in general are much better than here in the UK, as with almost everything else !! Rip off UK !!!

Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:02 am

kingepfan wrote:Many of us here in the US also feel as if we are being ripped off by the prices of the boots. I always have.

However, we for the most part tend to base that judgement on the price of cd's in the stores here. (If I pay $15.00 here, why shouldn't I be able to pay $15.00 plus shipping from there? Therefore shouldn't $18.00-20.00 be sufficient?)

I know I'm not speaking for everyone concerning this, but many of us feel as if we are being overcharged and taken advantage of. The same goes for the FTD releases. I mean, why should we be paying $30.00 + for a cd? Just because those who sell them feel as if we should be charged that to maximize profits and overcharge ("overcharged" being defined by personal beliefs alone)?

I wish we could experiment and see how long it would take for prices to come down to a more reasonable level. If everyone stopped buying them for a few weeks, I'm sure this would become loud and clear to those issueing the disks.

I support the FTD label, don't get me wrong, but I firmly believe we are being overcharged for them. I could see them charging $25.00 including shipping in that cost, but $30.00 plus!!! The (percieved/real) overcharging is what makes it hard on people over here.

What I'd really like to see is FTD release the more common soundboards online for lets say $10.00 a pop as someone else suggested. Saving the rare concerts for disk issue. Rare meaning special, like the concert with Danny Boy or I Walk The Line, or a stellar performance on it, not rare as in sweet carolina performed once in 77 but a hundred times before that, for example.

By the way, thanks , apologies accepted :)

You are missing the point totally!

FTD's are manufactured in the EU and are sold in EURO'S

The Dollar is at a very low rate against the Euro hence you pay more in the USA.

Do you know it's actually cheaper for us in the UK to buy stuff from the USA and pay package, than it is to buy from over here? It's true! I pay less buying a CD from the USA paying postage etc... than it would cost me in the shops over here! And it's all down to the currency exchange rate (as Deadringer pointed out)

FTD's and Bootlegs are being sold for the SAME price they always were, but because of the American Dollar exchange rate you're paying more!

And it's only going to get worse for you in the USA!

Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:54 pm

Keith F wrote:
The Dollar is at a very low rate against the Euro hence you pay more in the USA.

Yes, absolutely true. A few years ago 1 euro was the same amount as 1 USD dollar, and today...... 1 euro against $1.43. Almost half of the euro.
And it will drop and drop and drop....

Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:51 pm

kingepfan wrote:Keith, I didn't miss the point, if you read my first few posts, I said exactly that.

But the real point is that you are not being "ripped off" by the price of the boots if the reason that they are more expensive is because the exchange rate is unfavourable. The person selling you the CD does not get anymore money just because the dollar is worth less.

As I said in one of my pevious posts, the retail prices have been steadily falling in Europe, but unfortunately for our American cousins, the dollar has lost perhaps even more value than the 30% price reduction. That is unfortunate, but not an excuse to bash "greedy dealers" (Ger !!!)

Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:07 pm

The exchange rate is a red herring.

The NZ$ rate has remained more or less steady against the EURO since it's inception.

For years ACE products, for example, are about half the price of FTD in retail or mail order stores.

In fact I can't think of any other CD label which is as expensive for FTD.

Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:46 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:The exchange rate is a red herring.

Something here smells fishy, but I do not think it is your red herring :lol:

tracklist for

Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:49 am

Its only a very select group of collectors in the US who buy the boots.
Just a guess, but I think its less than 10%, and maybe only 5% of the
total sales of the better titles ending up there... Even when the dollar
was strong, sales were poor.

Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:14 pm

Interesting discussion, gents.

I'd assume this has always been a "niche market" -hardly anything anyone will get rich over. Import labels surely have a thin margin of profit by virtue of having such a tiny pool of potential buyers. Even among Elvis fans, many are satiated just by the many official '70s live releases and have had more than a dollop of alternate takes on boxsets in recent years. So by definition, sales will be comparably "poor" for what are certainly "specialty" releases -and to a large extent the same is true for FTD, although I'm sympathetic of the idea that Sony/BMG could hold the line better on prices.

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
bajo wrote:I wonder what will happen when Ernst releases his: The complete "From Elvis In Memphis" sessions FTD classic album boxed set?

Personally I have all the Memphis '69 outtakes I'll ever need on "American Way". It is the definite release as far as I'm concerned. We also have some stuff on "Memhis Sessions" and various boxsets. We have already seen all known photos from these sessions, Southern Comfort has included tons of photos from the period in their booklets, Blondie has written the definite text about the sessions in "A Life In Music"... There is nothing left to do with this stuff now.

All I want from Sony/BMG now is Vic Anesini remastered versions of "From Elvis In Memphis" and "Back In Memphis".

Well said. A few people on Elvisnews lamely claim to be waiting for the official FTD sets, but they can dream on. This is the one to move on, folks, but like Rob said, many of us will be on board for any official release..in 2013.
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.