All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:09 am

macuser wrote:I gave my Raised on Rock cd away cause i didn't like it and it was not that a big deal for me.

Not an archival type, eh?

Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:20 am

Man and Music's Gorden Minto really disliked the new FTD's (reviewed in #77 issue)virtually ALL 3 of em!!! he said he probably wouldn't play them again and went onto great length about his Raised on Rock dislikes!!! Geez can't someone else do the compact disc reviews in the future...he just as much disliked 'i sing all kinds' and easy come, easy go!!! :roll: ...yes quite strangely he thoroughly enjoyed a boot of Elvis's 7.12.75 show?? work that out???
and to top it all virtually ZERO mention of the 'fantastic sound' quality- NOT even on 'Viva Las Vegas!' Come on Gorden time to 'retire' :roll:

Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:34 am

YDKM wrote:Man and Music's Gorden Minto really disliked the new FTD's (reviewed in #77 issue)virtually ALL 3 of em!!! he said he probably wouldn't play them again and went onto great length about his Raised on Rock dislikes!!! Geez can't someone else do the compact disc reviews in the future...he just as much disliked 'i sing all kinds' and easy come, easy go!!! :roll: ...yes quite strangely he thoroughly enjoyed a boot of Elvis's 7.12.75 show?? work that out???
and to top it all virtually ZERO mention of the 'fantastic sound' quality- NOT even on 'Viva Las Vegas!' Come on Gorden time to 'retire' :roll:

That's a bit harsh, sir! Although I rarely agree with his CD reviews, I think Gordon is a very good writer. And he did like most of "I Sing All Kinds". But, yeah, I was surprised too that he wasn't impressed with the sound quality on "Raised On Rock". Like I said before, it sounds absolutely marvelous to me. A true revelation after hearing some stiff, boring and lifeless Elvis remasters in the past. I think Gordon needs to buy himself a new stereo! :D

Keith Richards, Jr.

Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:01 am

macuser wrote:I gave my Raised on Rock cd away cause i didn't like it and it was not that a big deal for me. Infact i was kindda disappointed in the audio-stuff. In the end one can hardly hear the difference between all those alternate-takes cause i have so many of them on other audio-tapes/cd's.

Gave it away.

Yeah,right

Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:27 am

:twisted: Yeah its one thing and Gordens right to say he simply doesn't like the studio work Presley did in July 1973, but quite another thing that he doesn't recognise great sound work thats been EVIDENT and VERY MUCH appreciated on ALL recent releases such as FTD+ 'VIVA LAS VEGAS' with excellent sound work...indeed Ernst has only just said that great work and Dr Carpenter verified it too that next 2 FTD's will AGAIN have excellent sound restoration work done on them so i feel my comments were Indeed JUSTIFIED!!!

Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:00 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:
macuser wrote:I gave my Raised on Rock cd away cause i didn't like it and it was not that a big deal for me. Infact i was kindda disappointed in the audio-stuff. In the end one can hardly hear the difference between all those alternate-takes cause i have so many of them on other audio-tapes/cd's.

Gave it away.

Yeah,right

Isn't this the same guy who complains that people don't post sound clips when they rave over a particular track?

Damn down-loading, MP-3 punk kids...! :evil: :lol:

Gave it away? Your loss! The packaging is the icing on the cake!

Keith wrote:
[img]Come%20on,%20CD-R%20people:%20get%20your%20shit%20together%20and%20BUY%20THE%20REAL%20THING!%20It's%20ridiculous%20to%20settle%20for%20boring%20CD-R%20copies%20of%20these%20beauties.%20Not%20only%20that,%20it's%20cheap%20too.[/img]

CD-R's ? How about cassette copies while you're at it? Lame!

ImageImageImage

I'm joining here belatedly (my how the internet moves fast so that such July releases are "old news" by September) but I have to concur with the raves for the great "RAISED ON ROCK" twofer.

It's a real revelation with the improved sound (thenexte is right) and all the bonus cuts and alternates. What a package. Likewise, "I SING ALL KINDS" also is a total must-have. These sessions long been maligned in terms of material but they've pulled off quite a feat with the new FTD's.

And folks are right that Gordon M. was a bit harsh in his reviews in his magazine..

I only cracked "Easy Come.." last night but for a junky session, they sure did it up. It's for completists only, but still a lot of fun to have.

Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:53 pm

I wish someone would do an in depth reveiw of the new FTD of Easy Come, Easy Go as I have really been on the fence with this one but have heard that it is pretty good. The two other new releases are beauties of course!

JEFF d
EP fan

Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:44 pm

In the post above yours, Jeff, Greg gave as much of a review as you'll need when he said, "It's for completists only, but still a lot of fun to have."

That just about sums it up.

Go for it. While you're at it, go ahead and get two or three more that you don't have. What the hell?

Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:50 pm

Thanks for the reply Rob, but that is your pat answer... I would enjoy reading a review of of a little more substance... than "its fun", as I already have the Easy Come, Easy Go double features cd, at $30 bucks a pop I would enjoy reading just a bit more on why I should buy.

JEFF d
EP fan

Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:00 pm

JEFF d wrote:Thanks for the reply Rob, but that is your pat answer... I would enjoy reading a review of of a little more substance... than "its fun", as I already have the Easy Come, Easy Go double features cd, at $30 bucks a pop I would enjoy reading just a bit more on why I should buy.

JEFF d
EP fan

JEFF d

I hope you don't mind me quoting your post but it's about the Price of CD's.

When you mention it costs $30.. that would make it £15 G.B.P We are used to paying that for an Album in the U.K. so to get FTD's at that Price is pretty good going. How much is an Average C.D. in America...by any Artist I mean.

Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:57 am

I was recently in NYC and regular price for new cds were 10-22$ each. For example Virgin Megastore in Times Sq. had selected "new" cds at 10$ each, and every few days they changed the selection. Normal "regular price" for new releases were usually at the 18-20$, though some where at 16.99 and others at 22.99$.

Here in Barcelona new cds are 16-21 euros each. At the movies was at 18 euros, and The King at 16.95 euros.

BTW Gorden says The King sounds MUCH BETTER than at the Movies, is that true?

Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:56 pm

Concerning ECEG FTD, the outtakes are different enough from the masters and varied. The sound quality is 10 times better than Clambake FTD. The masters are presented in stereo for the first time. Overall a great package, just like Raised on rock is.
Of course the music is as awful as Elvis could go (with ROR too) but FTD did a great job with both, packaging and content wise.

Javier

Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:23 pm

Thank you Javier! :D

JEFF d
EP fan

Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:28 pm

Jeff, I haven't given a full listen yet (oh, when oh when will I get the time?) but I assure you Rob's on target.

Frankly, I think folks who say they're going to pass up this or that FTD are inevitably going to crawl in and
try to get this or that soundtrack they have passed
such as "Girl Happy" or, say, "Dragonheart."

Why? Because you're crazed collectors, and most of all Elvis fans. And if you're even half-way scrappy, you can wait for a SHOPELVIS.com sale every once in while and enjoy the discount,
or more likely, surf the net for sales as low as $15 in some cases.

His career is finite and sadly, so eventually may be these releases, one might bet.

So when people say "I'm not getting that one" - I say, "not yet." :lol:

Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:38 pm

Yes, I'm sure I will be back to crawl :roll: to get the ECEG release later... as your right I want all Elvis music, but my credit card does have limit and I would like to make an informed decison for myself as to if I want to double(well actually triple) dip for the Easy Come, Easy Go material on FTD... which of course is one of Elvis' lesser soundrack sessions. Its nice to know that, the outtakes of this session offer varied versions of the same songs(which weren't that great to begin with) that we have known for years. Frankly some of these FTD soundtracks are not getting much, repeat listens in my household(Frankie & Johnny, Harum Scarum) but some of them have been wonderfull surprises(Paradise Hawaiian Style, Girl Happy) of course I'm happy they are available for all fans.

To just have someone say "its fun" get it, sorry just don't cut it... because I've had the double features cd for ECEG for quite a while and I wouldn't really say that "its fun"... crap yes, fun no..... :lol: but maybe they polished up this mess enough to make it passable. :shock: There has been no real discussion of this FTD on the messageboard, like there has been with the other two that were released with it... so that makes me kinda leary also of this release.

IS IT TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR AN IN DEPTH REVIEW of these cds?? Thats all I'm asking for. Thankyouthankyouverymuch!

JEFF d
EP fan

Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:18 am

JEFF d wrote:IS IT TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR AN IN DEPTH REVIEW of these cds??

I'm pretty sure Piers of EIN fame will take care of that eventually! Send him an email and tell him to get busy. :wink:

This is what I had to say about "ECEG" when it came out:

----------

The songs on Easy Come, Easy Go are not that good. But hey, it's Elvis! Excitement! Adventure under the sea! :D And I think all his movie soundtracks feature some moments of nice, clean entertainment. I kind of like "The Love Machine" and "You Gotta Stop", for example; the only song I can't stand this time is "Yoga Is As Yoga Does" which I actually hadn't heard before. Elvis sounds downright disgusted. And embarassed. Just like he did on "Old MacDonald". Poor guy...

The design is pretty good, but not as good as their best efforts, like "Elvis Is Back!" or "Paradise, Hawaiian Style" among others. However, the booklet features some really interesting facts. I love that part about Hal Wallis writing a letter to Parker because he's so concerned about Elvis's weird hairstyle!

"According to Wallis, Elvis' hair is too fluffed up, too black and looks like a wig, but the bottom line is that he doesn't look like a Navy frogman."

Outta sight! :D

As a Tom Parker fan, I'm also delighted to read this: "The Colonel tries to encourage MGM to come up with a good hard edged story for Elvis' next motion picture. He advises that Elvis wants to do away with girls in bikinis and nightclub scenes 'which have been in his last 15 pictures', as he puts it."

VERY interesting!

Come on, CD-R people: get your sh*t together and BUY THE REAL THING! It's ridiculous to settle for boring CD-R copies of these beauties. Not only that, it's cheap too. :evil:

The sound? Better than expected! All in all, this is a really nice FTD.

----------

I haven't changed my mind since then. A true collector will enjoy this FTD. They did a good job considering what they had to work with. Of course, "ECEG" will never become a masterpiece, no matter how many times you remaster and repackage those songs, but as a collector I'm happy to have this EP in nice quality and packaging. And some of the songs are a sort of gulity pleasure for me... I can't help it...

Keith Richards, Jr.

Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:26 am

Little Darlin wrote:
JEFF d wrote:Thanks for the reply Rob, but that is your pat answer... I would enjoy reading a review of of a little more substance... than "its fun", as I already have the Easy Come, Easy Go double features cd, at $30 bucks a pop I would enjoy reading just a bit more on why I should buy.

JEFF d
EP fan

JEFF d

I hope you don't mind me quoting your post but it's about the Price of CD's.

When you mention it costs $30.. that would make it £15 G.B.P We are used to paying that for an Album in the U.K. so to get FTD's at that Price is pretty good going. How much is an Average C.D. in America...by any Artist I mean.

I almost never pay more than £8 for a new single album, and haven't done for a long time. Archive releases tend to be even cheaper. It's not that unusual for an archive triple CD to go for less than a tenner, even in the high street stores like HMV, and if you go online (which is where I get most of my albums) the same set might be a couple of pounds less. Nobody needs to pay £15 for a CD if they own a computer and have Internet access.

The problem with FTD discs is that the dealers are charged a high price to begin with, and because they are rarely available on the high street, they never get discounted in the sales.

Things have got slightly better with FTD since the advent of the "double album for the price of a single disc" policy, but they are still far from cheap when you look at what other archive albums go for.