All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:02 pm

Pot Luck is a great album in my opinion, too bad we already have all the outtakes in great soundquality, all you need is Anything that's part of you (Memory label) and Kiss me quick / Little sister for the complete Pot luck with the best soundquality

Javier

Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:36 pm

“See this album here?”

“Yeah”

“This is “Pot Luck”

“Ohh, I’ve heard about that one. Wasn’t there a big scandal about its release date?”

“Yeah, I have trouble listening to it all the way through. See, it came out during the 30th Anniversary year”

“Oh right, looks like a quality package”

“You’re not hearing me are you? It came out during the 30th Anniversary year!

“Oh….kay, didn’t they release over 8 hours of previously unreleased material that year?”

“Just get out.”

Stunned silence.

Re: November FTDs - titles announced

Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:38 pm

deadringer wrote: It's not "in" to listen old music in these days, you know....

Someone should tell that to the kids around my town who listen the Beatles, Led Zep, Neil Young, etc...which would be most of them.

Axe

Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:43 pm

deadringer wrote:
shanebrown wrote:
deadringer wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:Pot Luck (2CD)

Girls! Girls! Girls!

So we will get heavily bootlegged POT LUCK stuff pls GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS crap only ... for this year.... a pity.

Yes, it's pitiful that we have only had I Sing All Kinds, An American Trilogy, Live In LA, Unchained Melody, Gold Records 2, Raised On Rock, Easy Come Easy Go, Girls Girls Girls, Pot Luck, the new 1969 concert on Viva Las Vegas and DVD releases of the remaining Elvis films except for On Tour.

What a terrible Elvis year it has been. Why couldn't there have been more releases containing unreleased material from a man who has been dead for 30 years. We have only had a hundred or so CDs containing such material in the last decade. Bl**dy disgusting if you ask me! :roll:

To put my comment into perspective: there is WAY TOO MUCH of FTDs per year recently. Why to release 3 CDs at the same moment? Because they are making money on it when people are still willing to pay (not sure if they will be able to sell this stuff in 2010). So this is the first and main reason for this quantity in expense of QUALITY.

I was really hoping for something special as these are last FTDs till 2008. Girls Girls Girls can't excite me, this is all very very poor stuff, except for one classic song included. Or you think these songs are great?

Pot Luck session has been bootlegged in its completness numerous times, so sorry but I can't get excited either. OK nice to have these tracks in best possible sound (if Reidel will not destroy them again) but that's all.

I will buy both albums of course, I have all FTDs and I will always support the label. But there is no reason for me to be excited.

You wrote: What a terrible Elvis year it has been.

- really TERRIBLE, AWFUL, RIDICULOUS, considering the fact that it's probably last big anniversary when a lot of Elvis fans is still alive and active. Do not expect 40th anniversary will be big event. Many fans will be dead, or not interested in Elvis anymore and there will be few young fans only. It's not "in" to listen old music in these days, you know....

So 30th anniversary and what BMG gave us (FTD aside, please!)? They gave us sh*t like SEPARATE WAYS and BURNING LOVE - caricatures of CDs. The ONLY decent release is VIVA LAS VEGAS. Apart from this only repackages, compilations etc.... nothing interesting. Again I am not mentioning bootlegs, FTD, imports like MRS 1, 2, TUPELO etc... now, only regular BMG releases.

There is no hope for ON TOUR-SE, it will NEVER HAPPEN!! If not for other reasons, then because it will not sell enough. TTWII-SE was commercial FLOP. And it was released in 2001, when the interest in Elvis was much bigger than in 2007, pls TTWII is much better stuff than ON TOUR (at least for casual, average fan).

And there will be probably no more boxed set because of poor sales of the last ones.... and the sales will be worse as years will go by...

Ernst has stated on many occassions that the reason FTD is releasing so much material is that there is a fanbase that waited in some cases 20+ years for the archives to be properly opened and that some of these fans will not be alive forever. FTD wants to make sure fans have the chance to hear as much as possible.

If FTD only released 1 or 2 titles a year, there would be quality issues and/or complaints. The quantity is not the issue. That being said, for the final release of 2007, it seems on that Girls Girls Girls gets the Classic Album treatment over a more noteworthy title - or that a soundboard of a great show isn't being issued. 2007 had some great releases for fans, but the final installment is sort of a downer.

Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:45 pm

I tend to agree with deadringers comments. probably for completeness pot luck needs to be covered by FTD and i'm sure it will be awesome release, but NOT so awesome for us who already have these sessions in pretty decent sound!. Hopefully Girls, Girls,Girls will hold a few outakes i have never heard before-this is my pick to buy out of these 2.YES I expect to be around for 40th and even 50th.... but surely by then it will just be an impersinators fair??? :roll:

Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:54 am

Shane: Maybe "Ringer" buys stuff he doesn't want so he can sell it on ebay for 4x what it's worth.

Then again, some people do collect stuff just to collect it.

Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:36 am

Can't really complain about these as they are not out yet, nor have they been officially announced yet. I do have most of this material but I do look forward to these releases. FTD can not and should not keep bootlegs in mind when releasing this stuff, that's just the way it is. I will be buying these.

Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:42 am

JerryNodak wrote:Shane: Maybe "Ringer" buys stuff he doesn't want so he can sell it on ebay for 4x what it's worth.

Then again, some people do collect stuff just to collect it.

It's good to say that I am selling quite big quantities of FTDs, Jerry and that my prices are decent. I have pretty good idea about my sales and about other sales too, also about overal sales of various FTDs.

Of course I will buy new FTDs because 1. I am buying them from very beginning and I have all of them 2. because we can expect that this POT LUCK etc will be mastered from original tapes so the sound can be much better, technically. But it does not mean that I will listen it often, because I
know all this stuff almost take after take.

Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:54 am

shanebrown wrote:With all due respect guys (and gals), the fact that you have bought the Pot Luck sessions illegally is your problem, not FTDs. There have been cries from fans to release Pot Luck for a couple of years now. You're going to get it - and you're moaning. There have been even more cries for Girls Girls Girls (far from the worst soundtrack, deadringer - there is some decent stuff here) and again, moans.

Deadringer, what exactly would you like from BMG in the 30th anniversary year? A boxed set of unreleased material? Sure. WEll, imagine that FTD didn't exist, put all your FTDS that you havebought this year into a cardboard box and you have a nice little boxed set of 10 discs or so. Voila. You can't have 100 albums of new material in ten years and then expect an unreleased set on the main label as well. You can't have it all ways. You also say that FTD is releasing these albums for the money. Well, they are a business. If they dont sell, they won't release similar products. If you don't want similar products, why the hell have you just said you are going to buy them anyway? And people wonder why I often don't have much positive stuff to say about Elvis fans!!!

First, it is not illegal to buy bootleg, shane. To produce/sell, yes, but not to buy. Then there is also NO MY PROBLEM that I have this stuff for 10 years now. Not a PROBLEM, just a fact. GIRLSx3 is not worst soundtrack ever but still very weak one considering the time when it was released. Only decent song is Return To Sender. The rest is grey padding at best (Tnx To The Rolling Sea) and reas sh*t at worst (Song Of The Shrimp).

You ask me "Deadringer, what exactly would you like from BMG in the 30th anniversary year?"

- well sure not shi*s like BURNING LOVER and SEPARATE WAYS - hardly 20 minute long "Camdens" or countless and pointless compilations.

There was possibility to release at lest this stuff:

Madison Square Garden 10.6.72 ES complete and remixed

Alternate Aloha dtto

Some complete show from On Tour (audio)

Boxed set, well maybe not 4 CD but decent double CD wit mostly unreleased studio stuff.

>>> You can't have 100 albums of new material in ten years and then expect an unreleased set on the main label as well.

- well first of all there is no boxed set because previous onew were poor sellers. Money talks. FTDs are not mainstream releases, they are mostly for die hard fans and casual buyer do not know them.

>>> You can't have it all ways. You also say that FTD is releasing these albums for the money. Well, they are a business.

- sure they are, I am not complaining here. I only wrote that there are WAY TOO MANY FTDs per year.

>>> why the hell have you just said you are going to buy them anyway?

- I guess I explained it in my previous posting.

Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:00 pm

Rob wrote:
deadringer wrote:Do not expect 40th anniversary will be big event. Many fans will be dead, or not interested in Elvis anymore and there will be few young fans only.

You don't actually believe this, do you? The 40th will be as big, if not bigger, than the 30th. He has been gone thirty years and has more fans now than ever. I think you are seriously underestimating the power of Elvis' image. Some of that image is favorable to fans like us, some not. It's not going to get smaller anytime soon.

I plan on being around for the 40th. Hope to see you there!

Rob, take as a fact that 40th will be no way bigger. It's simple mathematic. Elvis DO NOT HAVE more fans than ever. Just check OEPFC of GREAT BRITAIN. They had about 30 000 members after Elvis died. And the number decreased only to 20 000, then to 10 000 few years back.... do you know how many members they have now? I can see it also in our fan club and in others. I may sound very pesimistic here, but the "golden era" of Elvis is OVER now.

But OK - I also plan to be here in 2017, alive and kicking :-)

Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:12 pm

:roll: Hey why not plan to live until 2027.... and celibrate even MORE anniversary's!!!! :wink:

Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Pot Luck and Girls Girls Girls? Hmmm ...
I'm a jumpsuit junkie, and it's been some time now since I had my last shot ...

Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:27 pm

midnightx wrote:Ernst has stated.....some of these fans will not be alive forever.

Some will not be alive forever, does this mean others will be? Wow! :D

Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:42 pm

So what's the problem with ftd releasing too many discs per year?
"let them have their wealth and fame
Eat caviar and drink champagne"

:lol:

Javier

Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:05 pm

IMHO FTD don't release enough CDs each year.

Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:07 pm

[quote="deadringer"]

Elvis DO NOT HAVE more fans than ever. Just check OEPFC of GREAT BRITAIN. They had about 30 000 members after Elvis died. And the number decreased only to 20 000, then to 10 000 few years back.... do you know how many members they have now?
quote]

This is because, in 1977, the official Fan club didn't have "Essential Elvis", "Elvis the man and his music", "Elvis.co.uk", "Elvis Unlimited", "Elvis memories", "Elvis country", "The Elvis shop" etc, etc, and many other self run organisations competing with it. There are a hell of a lot of set ups now out there all vying for your custom.

Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:53 pm

In my opinion we have seen nothing yet as regards Elvis and his popularity. Wait till the Cirque Du Soleil presentations in Vegas and Worldwide from 2009 onwards. Then there will be the long awaited be all end all Elvis Documentary from EPE. Then we have the Ernst Jorgensen Sun Project. Then I suspect we will have a laser 'Elvis The Concert'. Who knows the elusive 'Pied Piper' may yet surface?

Bob Sillerman (CKX) would not have spent millions of dollars investing in the Presley Legacy if he thought Elvis was on a downer.

Let's be honest, who would have thought Elvis would be more popular now (and still topping charts) than when he was alive in the mid-1970's? Not me for sure.

The future's bright - the future's ELVIS.

Brian :D

Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:46 pm

So some of you don't like the idea of Pot Luck being released by FTD (with superier sound to anything released before) because you allready have all the outtakes on bootlegs ????

WTF ?

Ernst don't listen to these guys.

Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:27 pm

shanebrown wrote:
Mike DK wrote:So some of you don't like the idea of Pot Luck being released by FTD (with superier sound to anything released before) because you allready have all the outtakes on bootlegs ????

WTF ?

And these are probably the same people that praised Easy Come Easy Go! lol

It's not that I don't like the idea of Pot Luck given the FTD treatment, it's just that I'd rather hear something unheard even on bootleg first. And the bootlegs for this session sound great! The only FTD I did not buy from the classic album series is Tickle me, and so far each of the rest had new and intresting stuff added (even if some had some very dissapointing sound quality like Double Trouble or Harum Scarum).
And I think people praise Easy come Easy go because of the new stereo mix, the improved sound and the unreleased outtakes (even on bootlegs), not so much for the quality of the music, tho I have to say that "I'll take love" is a guilty pleasure of mine :oops:
Same goes for Raised on Rock. the album is an all time low in Elvis career, but the package is terrific (sound quality and outtakes)

Javier from Buenos Aires

Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:42 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:Then there will be the long awaited be all end all Elvis Documentary from EPE.

Somehow, "be-all, end-all" and "EPE" don't belong in the same sentence, IMO. I bet if EPE is behind it, "disappointing" and "shoddy" would be more like it.

Axe

Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:34 pm

Mike DK wrote:So some of you don't like the idea of Pot Luck being released by FTD (with superier sound to anything released before) because you allready have all the outtakes on bootlegs ????

WTF ?

- I have nothing against this idea. You have problem to read what I wrote? But I expected something more interesting from FTD, for the last 2007 bunch of CDs. And I think that it was better to release EASY COME/I SING ALL KINDS/POT LUCK in the Summer and RAISED/GIRLS3x at the end of year. This way 70s stuff could be divided better.

I can't get excited about GIRLS3x stuff ... just as I was not excited from EASY COME EASY GO or CLAMBAKE sh*t.

Btw, who are you to tell Ernst "don't listen to these guys" ? I like Ernst work for many many years, I appreciate what he is doing, I support FTD label by selling his CDs, but Ernst is not God Almighty to pray to him, kiss his foot and agree automatically with everything he is doing. His releases can be criticised too, there is a lot to criticise on them (sound/mastering massacres by Reidel for example). Maybe you do not remembder but I supported Ernst when J. Pirzada (another God Almighty?) started to spit his poison on his great work too.

Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:37 pm

TONY wrote:
deadringer wrote:
Elvis DO NOT HAVE more fans than ever. Just check OEPFC of GREAT BRITAIN. They had about 30 000 members after Elvis died. And the number decreased only to 20 000, then to 10 000 few years back.... do you know how many members they have now?
quote]

This is because, in 1977, the official Fan club didn't have "Essential Elvis", "Elvis the man and his music", "Elvis.co.uk", "Elvis Unlimited", "Elvis memories", "Elvis country", "The Elvis shop" etc, etc, and many other self run organisations competing with it. There are a hell of a lot of set ups now out there all vying for your custom.

You are too optimistic. Number of fans do not decrease due to other fan clubs "stealing" them. Personally I know quite many ex-members of Todds fan club. They simply lost interest... they also were no die hard fans... just "standard" fans who are the "base" of each fan club.

Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:43 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:In my opinion we have seen nothing yet as regards Elvis and his popularity. Wait till the Cirque Du Soleil presentations in Vegas and Worldwide from 2009 onwards. Then there will be the long awaited be all end all Elvis Documentary from EPE. Then we have the Ernst Jorgensen Sun Project. Then I suspect we will have a laser 'Elvis The Concert'. Who knows the elusive 'Pied Piper' may yet surface?

Bob Sillerman (CKX) would not have spent millions of dollars investing in the Presley Legacy if he thought Elvis was on a downer.

Let's be honest, who would have thought Elvis would be more popular now (and still topping charts) than when he was alive in the mid-1970's? Not me for sure.

Another optimist. I will play devil's advocate now: if EPE will do any documentary about E, then it's going to be sh*t as usually, see Elvis by Presleys crap as an example. Nothing of the "Beatles Antology" or Bob Dylan documentary caliber. Not even close to dated movie THIS IS ELVIS.

Sillerman will sell what he can sell: crap. I guess that 30th anniversary in Memphis was good example. They will transform Elvis into one big circus a la Mickey Mouse. You know, rubber ducks, wackel Elvises, ELvis toilet papers, impersonators etc... If this is the "bright future" then better NO FUTURE.

Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:55 pm

deadringer wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:In my opinion we have seen nothing yet as regards Elvis and his popularity. Wait till the Cirque Du Soleil presentations in Vegas and Worldwide from 2009 onwards. Then there will be the long awaited be all end all Elvis Documentary from EPE. Then we have the Ernst Jorgensen Sun Project. Then I suspect we will have a laser 'Elvis The Concert'. Who knows the elusive 'Pied Piper' may yet surface?

Another optimist. I will play devil's advocate now: if EPE will do any documentary about E, then it's going to be sh*t as usually, see Elvis by Presleys crap as an example. Nothing of the "Beatles Antology" or Bob Dylan documentary caliber. Not even close to dated movie THIS IS ELVIS.

Sillerman will sell what he can sell: crap. I guess that 30th anniversary in Memphis was good example. They will transform Elvis into one big circus a la Mickey Mouse. You know, rubber ducks, wackel Elvises, ELvis toilet papers, impersonators etc... If this is the "bright future" then better NO FUTURE.

I totally disagree with your comments. You are obviously a pessimist. When the EPE Documentary is finally released it will be OUTSTANDING and again a huge seller worldwide.

Bob Sillerman has nothing to do with the rubber ducks etc., it is the marketing wing of EPE. Sillerman, in my opinion, is the best thing ever to happen to the Elvis Legacy and will ensure that he is a viable proposition in twenty years time. You have obviously not seen his plans for the amelioration of the Graceland complex.

EPE and CKX need to adapt to the modern world and this is what Sillerman is doing. His next move must be the purchase of Elvis' Back Catalogue from Sony BMG. Then perhaps we will see Elvis' records back at the top of the charts in the U.S.A. where they belong. Somy BMG have proved a disappointment.

Brian

Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:06 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:EPE and CKX need to adapt to the modern world and this is what Sillerman is doing.
His next move must be the purchase of Elvis' Back Catalogue from Sony BMG.
Then perhaps we will see Elvis' records back at the top of the charts in the U.S.A. where they belong.
Somy BMG have proved a disappointment.

Wonder if Ernst & Roger will be part of the deal ?