All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:58 pm

Hi,

yes, i was since the beginning only talking of the tape flip of the audio cassette, which is usually an explanation that can be accepted for live recordings (both professional or amateur).
By the way it would be interesting to make a listing of all the various audio tapes / reeltoreel / video recorders and the delay needed to change a tape/ make a tape flip... For example most of the MD when changing of disc need more than 20 seconds. A miniDV camera need around 30 seconds, a DAT around 25 seconds, a DCC around 2 seconds (autoreverse mode) and a common walkman around 10 to 20 seconds (not counting the autoreverse mode).

See You

Vince

Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:41 pm

I wonder whether it could just be that Words had technical issues and was cut? There is some mik overload on SM in particular. If this was the first concert recorded they may have not quite got the sound settings right and so Words sounded to bad to be used? Just a thought.

cheers Jamie

p.s don't know if anyone saw BBC News at 09.45 am today but they had a great 10 minute slot on Elvis with Paul Gambiccini and Tim Rice. Very positive about Elvis and his legacy. Interesting comments from Tim about Elvis cutting She Have to Go. Both Paul/Tim slaughtered Colonel Parker and reckoned he basically was responsible for killing Elvis - an appalling manager. We know this but still ice to hear respected music people saying the very same. Tim also said in answer to why Elvis is worth more ow that when alive - the only difference is how well he is now managed compared to when Parker distroyed him. Lots of praise for EPE/Priscilla. Anyway, it was good stuff although some of the photos were the usual crap images. Interestingly, Tim saw Elvis in Vegas in 74 (not on stage) and said he looked great.

Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:35 am

I note the silence from those who have the ear of EJ.

That aside if we can accept that Tunzi could be wrong about Words, which is highly possible, then there is no problem.

Missing songs due to a possible tape change is not an option.

Those skilled mobile engineers could easily effect a tape change in 30 seconds and there would have been some system in place to prevent Elvis from starting a song if required.

Some of you are treating RCA as a a high school kid with his first recorder.

Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:13 am

KiwiAlan wrote:I note the silence from those who have the ear of EJ.

I'm waiting for DJC to get back with this one - he seemed pretty sure he was going to find out which show (s) this is!

I've tried - and got no-where - and not for the want of trying!

Ernst?

Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:24 am

KiwiAlan wrote:I note the silence from those who have the ear of EJ.

What you note is EJ on vacation prior to the upcoming Elvis Week festivities.

Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:58 am

Well let's hope someone actually asks him in Memphis.

How could I possibly know he was on vacation...I'm not his keeper!

Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:43 pm

I hung out and had dinner with Tunzi & family in Memphis. I asked and he told me that Words was incomplete, only about 20-30 seconds exist...so BMG edited that out rather than include only a segment of the performance.

Axe

Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:25 am

Axeman wrote:I hung out and had dinner with Tunzi & family in Memphis. I asked and he told me that Words was incomplete, only about 20-30 seconds exist...so BMG edited that out rather than include only a segment of the performance.

Why would they do that?

Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:48 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Axeman wrote:I hung out and had dinner with Tunzi & family in Memphis. I asked and he told me that Words was incomplete, only about 20-30 seconds exist...so BMG edited that out rather than include only a segment of the performance.

Why would they do that?

I would think that a short clip would be annoying to the listener, and undermine the "flow of the show".
If I had my druthers, I'd have had the short clip spliced with the remainder of another performance...just to have the 20-30 seconds from this show...while still being able to enjoy the whole song.

Axe

Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:06 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Why would they do that?

Is he saying the song is incomplete or the recording is incomplete?

Either way it seems strange to leave it out.....we have had fragments left in on standard RCA releases before (Collectors Gold).

A suspicious person might conclude that Tunzi is covering up that he might have been wrong in the first place and Words did not feature on that show.

Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:24 am

KiwiAlan wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Why would they do that?

Either way it seems strange to leave it out.....we have had fragments left in on standard RCA releases before (Collectors Gold).

A suspicious person might conclude that Tunzi is covering up that he might have been wrong in the first place and Words did not feature on that show.

Well, if "they" could move the monologue from the 8/24 show on the Live In Las Vegas set to the end of disc one and mix out Larry Muhoberac's keyboard work from the mix on certain tracks, editing out an incomplete Words from this new release would not be a shock. As mentioned, maybe it wasn't performed at all. Who knows? Regardless, it is a fantastic show.

Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:27 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:

He was saying the recording is incomplete...

Axe

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:15 pm

Hi,

many thanks to all the fans that helped us on that topic, and thanks to Axeman for the great info he had from the Tunzi.

See You

Vince

Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:49 pm

Vince wrote:Hi,

many thanks to all the fans that helped us on that topic, and thanks to Axeman for the great info he had from the Tunzi.

See You

Vince

Yes, I also appreciate Axeman's post, but we still don't know anything for sure, so I do not understand why you have written this. :?:

Any news from Ernst? DJC?

Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:21 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Jamie wrote:apologies I don't have any hard evidence . I was basing it on some of the dialogue on this board around the first show recorded and the content of The Legend Lives On. Now I have had time to re-read the thred in full I am even more confused! ... Hopefully we will get a definitive answer on whether this is the DS or MS shortly.

No worries -- I am working on the answer now, will post it when confirmed.

So Doc - Do you have anything confirmed yet?

Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:52 pm

A friend of mine told me that the show is spliced by comparing the wave files.
I am still waiting for further answer. but if someone is able to do this as well, we might get a solution soon.
I also think that the show is spliced from what we have on Collectors Gold, The Legend Lives On (the MS) and the DS this day.
Words might have been left out because of incompleteness....just assumptions ..we`ll see..

Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:26 pm

Hi,

of course the mystery is not solved yet, but i don't see why TUnzi would be spreading a false rumor about "Words".
We can say for sure that it is strange that "Words" is not included (or played and not taped in full, or played and taped but edited for unknown reason, not played). Also due to the various edits, it may be a compilation of (at least) the dinner/midnight shows.
The strange thing is that if it is a compiled show, is it possible that "Words" was unavailable from each of the gig played that day ?

See You

Vince

Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:32 pm

This is going round and round in circles and getting nowhere.

To me it's rather simple Tunzi was wrong about Words.period.

Then it all makes sense.

Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:45 pm

Ciscoking wrote:I also think that the show is spliced from what we have on Collectors Gold, The Legend Lives On (the MS) and the DS this day.
Words might have been left out because of incompleteness....just assumptions ..we`ll see..

I also think the show is a splice of DS and MS,but we┬┤ll see what the final answer may be

Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:01 am

After 350 posts could those who claim to know EJ please ASK him.

We have had the obviously inventive excuse that EJ was on vacation and resting before going to Memphis. That was a load of old rope!.

Perhaps those who know him....don't really know him at all.

Pick up the phone and prove your "insiderness".

Who's on first?

Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:34 am

After 350 posts could those who claim to know EJ please ASK him.
We have had the obviously inventive excuse that EJ was on vacation and resting before going to Memphis. That was a load of old rope!.
Who's on first?

Ger knows him well. But i think Ernst doesn't want to talk. A few years ago he claimed in an interview that without FTD and open questions the message boards would be dead. And he's right.
However,when we buy a CD,we have right to know what we buy exactly.

Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:53 am

Hi there!! :D :D :.

KiwiAlan wrote:After 350 posts could those who claim to know EJ please ASK him.

Who's on first?

I understand that Ernst Jorgensen was not in Memphis for the 30th Anniversary :!:. He seems to be very busy working on some great Elvis releases to be released later this year 8). Bye for now :wink:.

Mike Windgren.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:53 am

While VLV is not an FTD release we do pay top dollar for most of our purchases and we should be treated with some respect.

It's a simple question....what show was this recorded from. For goodness sake any other organisation would fall over themselves to let the buyer know.

I don't blame SonyBMG they are forthcoming with details such as this with their other artists.

It should be on the disc!!!

Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:20 am

Well said..Kiwi..!!!

Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:01 am

KiwiAlan wrote:While VLV is not an FTD release we do pay top dollar for most of our purchases and we should be treated with some respect.

It's a simple question....what show was this recorded from. For goodness sake any other organisation would fall over themselves to let the buyer know.

I don't blame SonyBMG they are forthcoming with details such as this with their other artists.

It should be on the disc!!!

I agree, not sure what the secret is or the marketing plan for not making the effort to let the buyer know, however it sure got us all talking about this disc, so maybe that was the plan. :wink:

Nevertheless one thing I will add that is nothing new already said, but after listening to this show, I can honestly say it's one hell of a show.

The best 69' show I have heard and if it ever gets confirmed and we were to find that this is a complete show an not an edit job, Elvis really was on the ball compared to the other shows recorded during this season as this show was perfect in every way, from his monologue to the intro's before songs like "Hound Dog" or "Are You Lonesome Tonight" short and sweet and to the point.

Songs chosen for this show were 2nd to none.

A total essential release !

Some more proof as to why Elvis is called the King of Rock !

PEP 8)