All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:17 am

This is true the nude scenes are not in Charro.

I am not sure if the music is in sync on Kissin Cousins I have not sat thru all of them. What I can say is that the icture quality in the DVD's that are in the box 'the Hollywood collection' are very sharp and clear.

I am watching Viva now,

Burning Love

Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:38 am

I am watching Viva now and there is a great improvement in the sound and picture quality, but what really is worth talking about is the special 'Kingdom: elvis in Vegas'

This starts out as a normal segment devoted to Elvis in Vegas the first mistakes comes when one of the commentators talks about Elvis rocking through 'come on Everybody and they show a clip of 'What I Say'. Although that kind of mistakes is sort of expected on Elvis releases. The real gem come into the segment and I really need others to weigh in on this and give me their opinoin.

Natually they start talking about Elvis return to Vegas in 69 blah, blah, blah all the stuff that most of us could right a script on. Then they start talking about Elvis preforming in Vegas again and start to show clips from Thats the way it is. As they are talking the screen is split into 3 sections and they al have Elvis in some preforming mode weather it be rehersal or on stage.

HERE IS THE INTREGING PART. WHEN THE SCREEN IS SPIT INTO 3. ON THE FAR LEFT ELVIS IS REHERSING IN THAT RED SHIRT (ITS THE MARY IN THE MORNING REHERSAL THAT WE KNOW) bUT THE REAL KICKER IS THAT THEY ARE SHOWING A SEGMENT OF HIM SIngING STRAIGHT TO THE CAMERA AND TO MY EYES THIS FOOTAGE WHICH IS REMASTERED IS NOT IN EITHER EDITIONS, SO IT MUST BE AN OUTTAKE. Now that is why I need the help of others to weight n on this. Does this segment indeed look like it is ufficially unrealeased? I could be wrong, but to my eyes it does not look like this footage is in the original or Specail edition, Also are they saving back some for that ABC TV Special in September, becase I would hople they do not whant to show those bad quality outakes that we received.

I would be anxious to hear your opinions on the footage in question on 'Kingdom Elvis in Vegas'

Thanks

Burning Love

Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:25 am

Could it be that Warner /MGM is holding back much of the unreleased outtakes in order to release a DVD full to coincide with the Elvis in Vegas t.v. special coming this fall?

Or am I just wishful thinking?

This would be a way for them to rectify the poor TTWII release.

RKS

Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:58 pm

Could it be that Warner /MGM is holding back much of the unreleased outtakes in order to release a DVD full to coincide with the Elvis in Vegas t.v. special coming this fall?

Or am I just wishful thinking?

This would be a way for them to rectify the poor TTWII release

Forget it RKS - it is wishfull thinking. Perhaps Tom in NC could try and get an answer through his contacts in WB - but my guess would be no one wants to be quoted. Maybe the next time WB has an open forum, some one could put this question to them, there again I am sure the guys would feign or actually be ignorant of the fiasco that is the outtakes on this set.

As people have already pointed out, the studio WB, do not really give a damn : the only hope of something good coming out would be if EPE , Time-Life or some distributor managed to buy the rights to put out a special edition DVD.

Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:00 am

Didn't EPE purchase all the '68 Special and 'Aloha' footage and then they put out these 2 great shows the way they should have been.

Maybe we should petition EPE to purchase all the Warner/MGM tapes so that eventually this project gets the proper release it deserves.

RKS

Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:10 pm

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:Didn't EPE purchase all the '68 Special and 'Aloha' footage and then they put out these 2 great shows the way they should have been.

Maybe we should petition EPE to purchase all the Warner/MGM tapes so that eventually this project gets the proper release it deserves.

RKS

Nothing to stop the Elvis world from petitioning, but I doubt WB/MGM would sell. Even if they were interested in selling EPE wouldn't have that kind of money. But Sillerman would. Why don't you see if he's interested.

Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:53 pm

I agree that the only way I can ever see the TTWII and EOT footage getting the right treatment and release is if it is purchased by EPE. The thing I can never get my head around is if they are just never going to use it why not just sell it on to someone who will. Everyone's a winner. Alternatively, collaborate with others to produce a joint release and share the costs/profits. I can't sleep at night because of this issue - it just pisses me off so much!

cheers Jamie

Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:59 pm

Jamie wrote:I can't sleep at night because of this issue - it just pisses me off so much!

Likely. I can't keep food down myself.

Hi

Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:05 pm

I hate to be negative but I think we've seen the last (official) outtakes of TTWII. There was a special edition in 2000 and now there is a (crappy) 2-disc edition, I mean how many special editions you think they'll release!?

I've seen the outtakes and they are an insult, the outtakes that have been floating around the last couple of years are in better quality than on this official release, I am content with what I have now.

In the Seventies and Eighties we were craving for outtakes and we didn't see anything for about 15 long years! Can you imagine that, 15 years with almost nothing coming out, visual wise!

All the things I dreamed about have come out now, The CBS outtakes, TTWII outtakes, On Tour outtakes, Aloha and '68 in fantastic quality with outtakes. I mean we should count ourselves very, very lucky.

Everything that surfaces from now on is a bonus, enjoy what we have already by now and don't count on any future TTWII DVD box sets with complete shows and rehearsals, it just ain't gonna happen.

Cheers
Simon

Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:49 pm

I know it's wishful thinking, but maybe the powers-that-be will see fit to release an expanded edition of the Lost Performances with extra TTWII footage in decent quality. That would go some way in righting this wrong.

Or maybe EPE should take some of the bucks they've earned from ducks and jumpsuits, buy this footage, and do a proper release ala the '68 Comeback and Aloha.

And maybe Jessica Alba will invite me on an all expenses paid vacation to Martinique, where I'll spend my days on the beach sipping umbrella drinks and rubbing coconut oil on her body.

Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:22 pm

Matthew wrote:
Jamie wrote:I can't sleep at night because of this issue - it just pisses me off so much!

Likely. I can't keep food down myself.

Funny you should mention this. Last night when I got home, I pulled into the garage and thought to myself, "They're never going to give Elvis On Tour the treatment it deserves." I just sat in my vehicle and let it idle because life just isn't worth living. But, I forgot to stop at the gas station yesterday, so I ran out of gas shortly after.

My intentions were good though.

Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:30 pm

well obviously I did get to sleep eventually. But with work so busy, the lack of quality outakes and the Boro getting beat - it took a while!

Jamie

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:04 pm

Pete Dube wrote:I know it's wishful thinking, but maybe the powers-that-be will see fit to release an expanded edition of the Lost Performances with extra TTWII footage in decent quality. That would go some way in righting this wrong.

Or maybe EPE should take some of the bucks they've earned from ducks and jumpsuits, buy this footage, and do a proper release ala the '68 Comeback and Aloha.

And maybe Jessica Alba will invite me on an all expenses paid vacation to Martinique, where I'll spend my days on the beach sipping umbrella drinks and rubbing coconut oil on her body.

I think you stand a better chance Jessica inviting you :)

Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:09 pm

Simon1 wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:I know it's wishful thinking, but maybe the powers-that-be will see fit to release an expanded edition of the Lost Performances with extra TTWII footage in decent quality. That would go some way in righting this wrong.

I think you stand a better chance Jessica inviting you :)

I can live with that! :)

Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:18 am

I watched the TTWII outtakes yesterday and I agree with previous posters and I mus say that I am very confused. The major part of it seems to be made of work prints that have not been lightning adjusted and with inferior sound. I don't think that they were going to include this with the 2001 edition, at least not in this bad quality since the 2001 edition was top notch. I usually don't complain over new material, but this time I have to.

I have not compared the "outtakes" from the original movie with the quality of the same songs in the original movie, but the "outtake" of I've lost you looked very dark to me. The "outtakes" from The lost performances seemed to be in worse quality than on my TLP-DVD transferred from a mint VHS.

I can't understand this.

Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:15 pm

removed by user
Last edited by elvissessions on Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:53 pm

Thanks for the info. Elvissessions.com

Great news...great scoop!

Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:41 pm

Crotona62 wrote:
Kylan wrote:geee another negative review of product! amazing! hell if i listened to you people, id never buy anything. sorry but u won't spoil my fun. cant wait for Aug 7th!!

I don't try to be really negative... but when you compare the quality of Disc 1 with the quality of Disc 2 you know something's wrong.
I have bought all the other dvds that have been released in Spain (Jailhouse Rock, This is Elvis, Girl Happy, Viva Las Vegas, Charro) and they are what I expected. Viva Las Vegas has really better quality than the dvd I had before. Simply I'm a little dissapointed because the "That's the way it is" double disc is the one I was really waiting for...

I'm from Spain too. I've purchased the spanish 2007 edition of "That's The Way It Is" (two discs), and to my desperation not only the 1970 original film is in mono but even the 2001 special edition has been downgraded to mono too according to the information in the back cover. How can this be possible?? Yes, I have the 2001 special edition with 5.1, but many people is going to buy the 2007 edition with mono sound in a disc that was released in 5.1. And if the information in the back cover is wrong then they are misleading buyers and surely losing sales.

Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:49 pm

elvissessions.com wrote:OK, I'm back from our post-party after the two Elvis concerts -- and I mean I ran to the computer as quickly as I could to post the scoop.

I finally got a chance to talk to Tom Brown, vice president of original production for Turner Classic Movies (and a huge honest-to-God Elvis fan, by the way).

First question I asked him was about the That's the Way It Is outtakes.

Before I even finished the question, he said knowingly, "and they look awful."

And here's the explanation:

The masters are missing. The extras were drawn from an old work tape -- his work tape, in fact.

I asked him if there's any hope for the future. He said, yes, if the material can be found again and recut, but then fans would face the prospect of a "special special edition." (I assured him we'd gladly buy it.)

He said his focus was on something else right now -- yes, you can guess what that is. To summarize the rest of the conversation: I think we'll live to see this project released. There was no time to mine for details of the project; I'm sure he wouldn't have given them anyway.

So, there you have it.

(I'm going to post this in the other recent TTWII thread, too.)

Thank you, 'sessions.

I'm afraid to even think of what happened to those masters. Is this how all the bootleg material was released - because somebody stole the masters from them?!? If so, they may NEVER get those tapes back.

If that's NOT the case, then I don't understand how they lost them.

But if found and released, I will no doubt gladly buy the "special special edition".

Great news that they're working on you know what.

Rich

Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:06 pm

This sounds very strange. Some of the songs in "the outtakes" have been released before in much better quality (the lost performances). As far as I know, that material was digitally edited. The explanation that they could not find the master sounds strange. They could have found the master to other material or did he mean that they could not find the master that was to be included in SE 2001? I know that some film from TTWII was missing and they used work prints (like Sanata claus is back in town), but the material (the film reels) for TLP was found in the early 90's. Have they disappeared after that? STRANGE!!!

Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:02 pm

I'm thrilled that they're working on that-which-shall-not-be-named (I don't want to jinx it). But how the hell can the TTWII outtakes go missing? Isn't this stuff normally locked away in a secure place?

Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:04 pm

Ramiro wrote:I've purchased the spanish 2007 edition of "That's The Way It Is" (two discs), and to my desperation not only the 1970 original film is in mono but even the 2001 special edition has been downgraded to mono too according to the information in the back cover.

Is the special edition really downgraded to mono?

Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:05 pm

Here's a question- if this was released as is Elvis back in 2001 would we still be complaining? The outtakes are poor quality but some of them are genuinely new to mainstream DVD and you get both versions including all the new stuff that went into the 2001 SE.

ES- This may sound like a stupid question but for the "Cattle Call", "Baby Let's Play House"/"Don't" sequence why didn't they just take it from a VHS of Lost Performances? It looks very respectable on there. I go to shows where they sell out of print horror movies on DVD and in some cases they are VHS dubs. They don't look DVD quality but they look better than the outtakes here.

Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:48 pm

buddy holly wrote:
Ramiro wrote:I've purchased the spanish 2007 edition of "That's The Way It Is" (two discs), and to my desperation not only the 1970 original film is in mono but even the 2001 special edition has been downgraded to mono too according to the information in the back cover.

Is the special edition really downgraded to mono?

no,disk1 is the SAME as 2001 edition.
So it has 5.1 sound.
Likethebike:Yes they should take outtakes from lost performance laserdisc/vhs instead....as mentionen many times in early threads here.

Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:26 pm

Another example of perspective: I paid $49.95 for TTWII on VHS in 1987!! And boy was I sure happy to get it then. Of course, this was before prices came down for the home viewing market.
That said though, I'm a little disappointed with the latest release. What is really horrifying, is that they LOST all the outtake stuff they worked on for the TTWIISE in 2001(I bet it is in Sherif Hanna's garage LOL!!). I can see misplacing tapes in the 1950's & 1960's, but in 2001? They reportedly spent a million dollars to do the SE back then and now it's lost!!!