All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:59 am

Keith F wrote:I've been assured that the footage used on "Tupelo's Own" actually has original audio on it.

R.R.D wrote:OK very interesting thanks Keith

PEP wrote:Wow, Keith excellent news.....even better....I was a little worried there ...

KiwiAlan wrote:The film quality loks good and I would hope they are complete songs. Not too taken with the overdubbed sound though.

ColinB wrote:I thought Keith already explained the footage has original sound on it - not overdubbed.

Having finally reviewed the Tupelo's Own DVD, several thoughts spring to mind.

First of all, whoever "assured" Keith is mistaken -- every single bit of audio on the DVD from September 26, 1956 was first released on Elvis - A Golden Celebration (RCA, 1984 -> CD reissue, 1998).

It is likely "Movietone" never captured any audio from that day -- the original October 1956 featurette is included on the DVD, and not a single sound from the actual show is heard.

But the footage -- overlay issues or not -- is a blast, a treasure for any fan of Elvis at his best.

Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:44 am

drjohncarpenter wrote: First of all, whoever "assured" Keith is mistaken -- every single bit of audio on the DVD from September 26, 1956 was first released on Elvis - A Golden Celebration (RCA, 1984 -> CD reissue, 1998).
I agree Doc, it appears to be the case.
It is likely "Movietone" never captured any audio from that day -- the original October 1956 featurette is included on the DVD, and not a single sound from the actual show is heard.
By the looks of things it does appear to be the case as well.
But the footage -- overlay issues or not -- is a blast, a treasure for any fan of Elvis at his best.
Agreed again Doc, politics aside, it is what it is, but is worth having in ones collection just like you have said in so many words :wink:

PEP 8)

Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:57 pm

Defo worth having and if it wasn't for JP and MRS we probably wouldn't.

Big up and thanks to JP and MRS I say :wink:

Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:07 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Keith F wrote:I've been assured that the footage used on "Tupelo's Own" actually has original audio on it.

R.R.D wrote:OK very interesting thanks Keith

PEP wrote:Wow, Keith excellent news.....even better....I was a little worried there ...

KiwiAlan wrote:The film quality loks good and I would hope they are complete songs. Not too taken with the overdubbed sound though.

ColinB wrote:I thought Keith already explained the footage has original sound on it - not overdubbed.

Having finally reviewed the Tupelo's Own DVD, several thoughts spring to mind.

First of all, whoever "assured" Keith is mistaken -- every single bit of audio on the DVD from September 26, 1956 was first released on Elvis - A Golden Celebration (RCA, 1984 -> CD reissue, 1998).

There is sound sync footage from this newsreel to be found on the brilliant "Elvis '56" dvd.
Chapter 16 is titled "Hometown Hero"-to be found around 49:10 or so.
The original title from the newsreel is there.
Elvis receives the key to the city and replies to the mayor in a few seconds of perfectly matched sound sync footage.
Elvis then goes into "Heartbreak Hotel" and the footage doesn't match.
The footage is in perfect sync again when Elvis points to Scotty for his solo and Scotty rips a few notes.
Then the sequence ends.

Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:06 am

cartoonland wrote:There is sound sync footage from this newsreel to be found on the brilliant "Elvis '56" dvd.

The original VHS edition appeared in 1987, two and a half years after the release of RCA's A Golden Celebration box set, and my impression then, as now, is the audio was also derived from the RCA source.

Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:15 am

Thank you Doc.

It seems a lack of commonsense prevails on this board at times!

It was obvious to me all along that the audio was ripped off from RCA.