"Thats The Way It Is" 2-disc=Crap edition.

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

MB280E
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
Registered for: 21 years

Post by MB280E »

My point exactly RKSNASHVILLE!

Thanks Rob! I´m sure he figured it out the first time but you know how it is... :wink:

Sincerely MB280E

"Folks, it´s been 9 years since I performed before a live audience. I´ve been busy making an 8mm film that hasn´t been released yet about a squirrel who gets lost in the wintertime and can´t find his nuts."

´98 W140 S320 (my new baby)
´90 W124 230E (sold...)
´81 W123 280E (R.I.P.)

elvissessions
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by elvissessions »

removed by user
Last edited by elvissessions on Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

elvissessions - you are spot on. Unfortunately every fanbase has a contingent of militant fans that can never be pleased. Ho-hum.

Claus

Post by Claus »

According to IMDB the movie was released with a 4-track stereo soundtrack.

Could it be that Warner don't have this soundtrack and other multi-tracks anymore and they had no choice but to release the original version with the mono soundtrack.

I'm rarely disappointed with Warner dvd. They generally do a terrific job considering how many releases they crank out every year.

Simon1
Prolonged Suspension. Repeat Offender
Prolonged Suspension. Repeat Offender
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Hi

Post by Simon1 »

I agree Elvissessions, for a measly amount we get to see outtakes in the best possible quality. And although I haven't got it yet, I am sure, it will be a lot better than the outtakes we've seen till now. It will be like a breath of fresh air.

Cheers
Simon

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
Crotona62 wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.
Crotona62 wrote:
Kylan wrote:geee another negative review of product! amazing! hell if i listened to you people, id never buy anything. sorry but u won't spoil my fun. cant wait for Aug 7th!!
I don't try to be really negative... but when you compare the quality of Disc 1 with the quality of Disc 2 you know something's wrong.
I have bought all the other dvds that have been released in Spain (Jailhouse Rock, This is Elvis, Girl Happy, Viva Las Vegas, Charro) and they are what I expected. Viva Las Vegas has really better quality than the dvd I had before. Simply I'm a little dissapointed because the "That's the way it is" double disc is the one I was really waiting for...
Please let me know where and what shop in Spain have you bought this dvds, what about This Is Elvis and the extras on Viva Las Vegas and Jailhouse Rock? :?. Thank you!!. Bye for now :wink:.

Mike Windgren.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.
You can buy them at any FNAC store for 5.95 Euros (single and double discs have the same price).
The extras on Jailhouse Rock and Viva Las Vegas are a 20 minutes short, one about the scene where Elvis sings "Jailhouse rock" and one about Elvis in Vegas... also the trailers are included.
About "This is Elvis" I haven't seen this one yet, disc 1 has the 1981 version with great picture quality and sound + a documentary named "Behind the gates of Graceland" with so-so picture quality.
Disc 2 has the 1983 version of the film in mono...haven't seen this one yet...

Thank you for the info!!. In my hometown we don´t have any Fnac shop, so I´ve checked their website and only Viva Las Vegas and Jailhouse Rock are available, the others will be available next week :cry:. Bye for now :wink:.

Mike Windgren.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

Rob

Post by Rob »

elvissessions.com wrote:I don't have these yet, so of course I can't offer an informed opinion. But as that hasn't held others back here, what the heck.

We'll chase all over creation for crap copies with crap video and crap sound, with banners and timing cues across the screen -- and listen to people rave about how great they are, when there's no sound or color correction or anything else. And we'll pay top dollar for all of that into the "bargain."

But if somebody offers us cleaned-up, professionally packaged, legitimate releases at a fraction of the price, then we'll have an absolute shitfit if it's not exactly what we hoped for?

You can get this for less than 15 bucks, for crying out loud. How bad can it be? But, hell, keep it up, keep chasing after your bootleg from VHS/laserdisc copies of the original and the copy of copy of copy of copy outtakes with out-of-sync sound and fuzzy video. And enjoy paying the extortionist prices of the illegal productions. Good luck to you.

Meanwhile, I expect I'll be enjoying a fresh look at some nice outtakes in what will certainly be the best quality we've ever seen.

Matthew

Re: "Thats The Way It Is" 2-disc=Crap edition.

Post by Matthew »

KingElvis wrote:I`m not gonna buy this now..... :cry:
I find this hard to believe.

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

I'll certainly be picking this up, but I wish they had given us the remaining Lost Performances August '70 footage (There Goes My Everything; Make The World Go Away; 20 Days and 20 Nights; Don't Cry Daddy).

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by Cryogenic »

Regardless of the "fan mentality" rhetoric being thrown around in here, releasing a MONO copy of a professionally-recorded MULTI TRACK concert production, especially when the previous releases were STEREO AT A MINIMUM (and the newer edition is 5.1), is . . . appalling and reprehensible.
elvissessions.com wrote:We'll chase all over creation for crap copies with crap video and crap sound, with banners and timing cues across the screen -- and listen to people rave about how great they are, when there's no sound or color correction or anything else. And we'll pay top dollar for all of that into the "bargain."

But if somebody offers us cleaned-up, professionally packaged, legitimate releases at a fraction of the price, then we'll have an absolute shitfit if it's not exactly what we hoped for?
Respectfully, ES . . . this is the EXACT problem. From the sounds of it, TTWII -- a much-anticipated-on-DVD, highly rated cinematic production -- has just been slapped onto disc wth NO EFFORT WHATSOEVER. In 2007, this is simply unacceptable. It's an insult to fans and the legacy of Elvis. The re-edited version of TTWII was released in 5.1 sound in 2001 -- six years ago. It seems clear that Warner Bros / MGM have just done this to CASH IN on the 30th anniversary and to milk the Elvis well dry. When a super-rich media conglomerate cannot be bothered to significantly improve on bootlegs that have been doing the rounds for years, let alone finally give a classic film the treatment it deserves, then something is wrong -- and they deserve to be slated.

Jovan
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by Jovan »

:shock: What a mess, I really need a drink after reading all these posts...I guess I will stick to my laserdisc version of this movie :(

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by minkahed »

I thought the original film of That's the Way It Is was being presented in 2.0 Stereo for the new DVD ???

I hope they at least cleaned up the Mono soundtrack, if that's all we're entitled too ... :roll:

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

MB280E

Post by MB280E »

Very well put Cryogenic!!!

Sincerely MB280E

"Folks, it´s been 9 years since I performed before a live audience. I´ve been busy making an 8mm film that hasn´t been released yet about a squirrel who gets lost in the wintertime and can´t find his nuts."

´98 W140 S320 (my new baby)
´90 W124 230E (sold...)
´81 W123 280E (R.I.P.)

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Cryogenic wrote:Regardless of the "fan mentality" rhetoric being thrown around in here, releasing a MONO copy of a professionally-recorded MULTI TRACK concert production, especially when the previous releases were STEREO AT A MINIMUM (and the newer edition is 5.1), is . . . appalling and reprehensible.
Has the original version of "That's The Way It Is" been released on home media before with a stereo soundtrack?
Cryogenic wrote:Respectfully, ES . . . this is the EXACT problem. From the sounds of it, TTWII -- a much-anticipated-on-DVD, highly rated cinematic production -- has just been slapped onto disc wth NO EFFORT WHATSOEVER. In 2007, this is simply unacceptable. It's an insult to fans and the legacy of Elvis. The re-edited version of TTWII was released in 5.1 sound in 2001 -- six years ago. It seems clear that Warner Bros / MGM have just done this to CASH IN on the 30th anniversary and to milk the Elvis well dry. When a super-rich media conglomerate cannot be bothered to significantly improve on bootlegs that have been doing the rounds for years, let alone finally give a classic film the treatment it deserves, then something is wrong -- and they deserve to be slated.
It is only much anticipated by those who want it with open hearts - the hardcore Elvis fans. The general consumer probably isn't too bothered either way. With regards to the cash in label - well this is true of any media company with a marketing opportunity.

From the sounds of things this two disc release is very affordable with disc two containing outtakes – which by movie definitions are just that – outtakes. They are also probably from the same basic master prepared for the original DVD release in 2001 that was shelved.

Whilst I agree in many respects that all cut performances should be on the release I also recognise that there is no Ernst/Roger team dedicated to the Elvis movie archives at Warner etc, no director with a vested interest in the material. So what we have is essentially just another release in their schedule. Remember – not a great deal was done with the original "Star Wars" movies when they were tacked onto the recent 2 disc releases of the Special Edition DVDs.

Continuing with TTWII - as far as the company is concerned, they spent their money producing a new movie master – that of the Special Edition, so essentially the original does not require further investment, it therefore becomes obsolete to anyone other than the passionate Elvis fan. That we have it available at all on DVD could be considered a bonus.

Crotona62
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Crotona62 »

Cryogenic wrote:Regardless of the "fan mentality" rhetoric being thrown around in here, releasing a MONO copy of a professionally-recorded MULTI TRACK concert production, especially when the previous releases were STEREO AT A MINIMUM (and the newer edition is 5.1), is . . . appalling and reprehensible.
elvissessions.com wrote:We'll chase all over creation for crap copies with crap video and crap sound, with banners and timing cues across the screen -- and listen to people rave about how great they are, when there's no sound or color correction or anything else. And we'll pay top dollar for all of that into the "bargain."

Respectfully, ES . . . this is the EXACT problem. From the sounds of it, TTWII -- a much-anticipated-on-DVD, highly rated cinematic production -- has just been slapped onto disc wth NO EFFORT WHATSOEVER. In 2007, this is simply unacceptable. It's an insult to fans and the legacy of Elvis. The re-edited version of TTWII was released in 5.1 sound in 2001 -- six years ago. It seems clear that Warner Bros / MGM have just done this to CASH IN on the 30th anniversary and to milk the Elvis well dry. When a super-rich media conglomerate cannot be bothered to significantly improve on bootlegs that have been doing the rounds for years, let alone finally give a classic film the treatment it deserves, then something is wrong -- and they deserve to be slated.
I agree with Cryogenic... disc 2 on this release looks like a cheaply made dvd, I mean, on disc 1 you have brilliant quality... and when you see disc 2 you think "This is the quality they were able to achieve??". Maybe the problem is that with "That's the way it is" from 2001 being so brilliant my expectations were too high.

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****

Post by ekenee »

elvissessions wrote: But if somebody offers us cleaned-up, professionally packaged, legitimate releases at a fraction of the price, then we'll have an absolute shitfit if it's not exactly what we hoped for?

You are comparing apples and oranges here. You are comparing a worldwide release with a bootleg with limited release. These major studios have the big bucks and backing to do it right. So the bar is always going to be higher when compared to a bootleg.
There are many bootlegs that I enjoy more than the legit release.
And vice versa. If the major studio drops the ball and makes some mistakes and put out a poor product, does it really matter if the price tag is $5 or $50. Yes I know it matters to the consumer paying for it, but my point is does it matter when judging it only by the quality?

For example if you paid nothing for something and was just given the item to look at and make critical remarks about, the price is not a factor, so you are making your critisms based on what is in front of you.

I maybe generalizing because each item has a slightly different set of rules to go by, but this movie has been released numerous times, and if people are finding flaws, then obviously there are flaws. There comes a time though, when we would like to see it done right.

Bottomline is that these studios don't really care. They are cashing in on Elvis in August. We as saavy Elvis collectors know this, so we see what is going on, but the general public might not care or know about all these technicalities.

Cryogenic

Post by Cryogenic »

Matthew wrote:Whilst I agree in many respects that all cut performances should be on the release I also recognise that there is no Ernst/Roger team dedicated to the Elvis movie archives at Warner etc, no director with a vested interest in the material. So what we have is essentially just another release in their schedule.
Sadly, this is very true.
Matthew wrote:Remember – not a great deal was done with the original "Star Wars" movies when they were tacked onto the recent 2 disc releases of the Special Edition DVDs.
That was another shocking release. As big a fan of George Lucas / the SW saga as I am, Lucas did something rather low and despicable there -- even cutting and pasting random publicity shots and film stills into heavily bastardised DVD covers (e.g. Han Solo's digital haircut on the box for the 1977 film -- totally anachronistic and wrong). But even THOSE releases are in 2.0 sound! Mono is the way of the dinosaur, at least for modern presentations of material recorded in more than one track! Bad moves should always be lambasted, just as good moves should always be credited. The threat of a company losing money and face (which, in turn, could further impede their ability to make money) is the only thing that may get through to them.

P.S. "That's The Way It Is" has always seen stereo releases (albeit, perhaps, with corresponding mono equivalents) -- be it on the cinema screen or on vinyl / CD, as far as I'm aware. That fact, combined with the superior presentation of the "Special Edition" of TTWII, and the fact that TTWII is a MUSICAL production, makes the idea of a mono release utterly preposterous and downright contemptible. ALL companies cash in -- that is, after all, the nature of big business -- but that doesn't mean inferior products can or should be tolerated.
Last edited by Cryogenic on Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Cryogenic wrote:
Matthew wrote:Remember – not a great deal was done with the original "Star Wars" movies when they were tacked onto the recent 2 disc releases of the Special Edition DVDs.
But even THOSE releases are in 2.0 sound!
Indeed. 2.0 stereo sound for films of such significance to me is more dissapointing than TTWII Original with mono sound.
Cryogenic wrote:P.S. "That's The Way It Is" has always seen stereo releases -- be it on the cinema screen or on vinyl / CD, as far as I'm aware.
But has a movie master been released on home media before with a stereo soundtrack? Indeed, was the movie originally released in cinemas with a stereo soundtrack back in 1970. What I'm getting at with this is that if no previous release has featured a master of TTWII Original with a stereo soundtrack it is feasable one doesn't exist and thus would have to be created from the original movie negative and sound elements - assuming these were in stereo in the first place. I could be wrong here of course since I can't rightly remember if my video copy of this movie had a stereo soundtrack or not.

Vinyl/CD album masters would have no bearing on this topic by the way.

Cryogenic

Post by Cryogenic »

Matthew wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:
But even THOSE releases are in 2.0 sound!
Indeed. 2.0 stereo sound for films of such significance to me is more dissapointing than TTWII Original with mono sound.
In Lucas' defence:

- 2.0 sound is better than monoural sound.

- The original films have been edited and augmented less than "That's The Way It Is". For all the huffing and puffing of OT fans and film purists, the two DVD versions of each respective "Star Wars" film agree with each other more than the two versions of TTWII that now exist.

A final point:

- TTWII is -- let me say again -- a MUSICAL production. While the "Star Wars" movies are extremely active, both visually and aurally, the majority of TTWII is driven by live music performed by an entire group of distinguished singers and an accomplished band. Presenting such material in monoural, when it was never recorded as such, and technology has long existed to present it with greater fidelity and accuracy (i.e. 2.0 and above), is an insult of the deepest kind.
Matthew wrote:But has a movie master been released on home media before with a stereo soundtrack? Indeed, was the movie originally released in cinemas with a stereo soundtrack back in 1970.
I do not outrightly know, but I am taking an educated guess and saying "yes". Multi-track sound prints for theatrical exhibition go back at least as far as "The Wizard of Oz" in 1939 (which was originally prepared on six-track audio). The best movie houses in 1970 would not have been operating solely in mono, even if it was still the norm for some. Of course, this fact alone doesn't give the definitive answer (i.e. mono prints could still have been prepared and nothing else), which is why I earlier said "as far as I know", and, of course, creating a NEW soundtrack would not be cheap, but given the prized nature of the material, and the fact that George Lucas has been derided for daring to release the original copies of "Star Wars", "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi" in 2.0 non-anamorphic video, you'd think that NO ONE would dare to beat him at his own game -- yet Warner / MGM just have.
Matthew wrote:Vinyl/CD album masters would have no bearing on this topic by the way.
Says who? And why -- because they destroy your argument? That superior audio presentation of TTWII has existed for some time compared to what Warner / MGM have now chosen to put out is rather embarrassing, isn't it? It's 2007, folks. A mono soundtrack presentation of a multi-track production just now hitting DVD is ridiculous.
Last edited by Cryogenic on Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

TTWII was first cinema issued in four track stereo as were all MGM widescreen releases at the time.

But that does not mean the music was in four track. I would fully expect that this would be in mono.

It wiuld be impossible to match fast changing asd split screens to provide a logical sounding mix. Each instrument would be bouncing all over the theatre making one huge sonic mess. Just think about it.

So my money is on MONO! With all four tracks carrying the same information or at least the back two silent.

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

Wow!! The original TTWII is in mono. I so surprised (not). I expected as much. Mono!! How will I survive? I'm just glad the original is finally on DVD. Mono, OMG!!

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Cryogenic wrote:
Matthew wrote:But has a movie master been released on home media before with a stereo soundtrack? Indeed, was the movie originally released in cinemas with a stereo soundtrack back in 1970.
I do not outrightly know, but I am taking an educated guess and saying "yes". Multi-track sound prints for theatrical exhibition go back at least as far as "The Wizard of Oz" in 1939 (which was originally prepared on six-track audio). The best movie houses in 1970 would not have been operating solely in mono, even if it was still the norm for some. I honestly cannot believe that we're having this conversation, but what else is new?
Um, I beg your pardon?!
Cryogenic wrote:
Matthew wrote:Vinyl/CD album masters would have no bearing on this topic by the way.
Says who? And why -- because they destroy your argument? That superior audio presentation of TTWII has existed for some time compared to what Warner / MGM have now chosen to put out is rather embarrassing, isn't it? It's 2007, folks. A mono soundtrack presentation of a multi-track production just now hitting DVD is ridiculous.
Why?! Now I cannot believe we’re having this conversation. What RCA prepared in house for their TTWII soundtrack album release has no relation whatsoever to what the movie company prepared or did not prepare for their theatrical movie master – that’s why. Two separate elements, two separate companies, two separate sets of recordings. They are not linked. We know the sound recordings were originally recorded to 16 track tape – this isn’t in question. RCA had their copies, MGM have theirs. This doesn’t mean that a stereo movie master exists for home presentation.

I’m not arguing that a mono movie release is acceptable, merely presenting some reasoning to why it has occurred. Remember, TTWII was REPLACED by TTWII Special Edition in 2000. For all intent and purposes they have released their movie in 5.1 audio. The fact that the original cut of the movie has not been touched is probably representative of this point. It is included as a BONUS only.

Cryogenic

Post by Cryogenic »

Well, I prefer the truth to a lie -- or a falsehood.

In trying to pin down the history, IMDb was actually no use to me. It's silent on the issue of sound (pardon the pun). But a Google search eventually turned this up:
BURBANK, CA (December 18, 2000) – Warner Home Video (WHV) proudly announces the release of the powerful "rockumentary" Elvis: That's the Way It Is – Special Edition, featuring a newly remastered and remixed version, available for the first time ever in stereo. Produced by award-winning filmmaker Rick Schmidlin (Touch of Evil, Greed, Doors: Live at the Hollywood Bowl) and his team, the special edition includes close-ups of Presley's famous footwork and guitar work, cut-aways of the band, never-before-seen footage including ten musical numbers, and Elvis' off-stage antics. Elvis: That's the Way It Is – Special Edition shakes up the stores on January 16 on VHS for $14.95 SRP and on March 6 on DVD for $24.98 SRP.
Source: http://www.girlsguidetoelvis.com/thatswayitis.html

So it appears that TTWII *was* originally released in simply mono.

Presenting it in mono on DVD seems more tolerable now -- but only by a hair or two. I believe it is still salient to note that TTWII was completely re-cut and re-mastered into 5.1 and that stereo presentations of the main and ancillory material have existed in the video and audio markets for quite some time. Suddenly getting the original in mono, especially in 2007, in an age of high technology and grand invention, seems hopelessly outdated and neglectful.

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

hey Matt and Cryogenic,

Fellas please, let's not get hot under the collar here. Whilst it's dissapointing
to learn that disc 2, which is what the majority of us wants, is going to be
in mono, there maybe a solution to this tragedy (more on this later).

Now, there may well be a very valid reason why disc 2 of the original
THAT'S THE WAY IT IS plus outtakes is not available in multi-track.

Until we hear from a marketing consultant from the Warners company we
can only but speculate. Naturally, they'll be plugging this release
on their website and on the various well-established DVD and music
publications (i.e. September issue of Record Collector is one).

Hey PEP, it might be worth sending WARNERS an e-mail as a administrator
of FECC for an invitiation for one of their representatives to explain
why mono was chosen for disc 2? Nah just kidding PEP !!!

One possible solution would be is to buy the dvd and then re-record another
private copy of "Bridge" and "Stranger In The Crowd" by just using
the pictures and aligning the audio with the CD stereo masters of the same
performances as can be found on ELVIS THATS THE WAY IT IS disc 3 on BMG
triple box set for SITC and A LIFE IN MUSIC disc 4 for "Bridge Over
Troubled Waters". At least that's what i'll be doing !
Last edited by Walter Hale 4 on Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

CHRISTIAN M

Post by CHRISTIAN M »

Crotona62 wrote:I'm watching the 2nd dvd right now and yes, the 1970 version of the movie on disc 2 is in mono.
The extra "outtakes" are:

You don't have to say you love me
Eating secuence
Cattle call + Baby let's play house+ don't
Farther along
Oh happy day
I just can't help believin'
Walk a mile in my shoes
I've lost you
Sweet Caroline
Little sister
Stranger in the crowd
After show party

Picture quality on these extras is far from espectacular, but it was great to see things like Elvis sitting on stage doing "little sister". Maybe all this stuff appears on the several Dvd's that have appeared lately but I had never seen it before.
How long is the after show party ?
THANKS
Christian M

BUY TOP PRICE , AND TRADE ALL UNEDITED OR RARE ELVIS FOOTAGE SEND ME PM !!!