All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:05 am

David Bendeth wrote:I am more Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Breaking Benjamin and Paramore these days, ask Doc, I amd sure he has those CD's.

Nah, of newer stuff I prefer Arcade Fire, the Shins, Clientele -- you know, bands that never heard of you.

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:11 am

Hello David,

No I don't have another brother named "Darrell" and "Darryl." Nor do I have a brother "Larry." If I had a nickel for every time I've been asked that, I'd probably be a millionaire by now. BTW, I loved "Newhart."

BTW, is it really possible to break into someone's iTunes account? I never really thought about it before. Not that I would want to or anything.

As for Doc. Carpenter, your comments on him David were accurate. He thinks your comments were "out of the blue." It's quite obvious that Doc is oblivious to the fact that he is ignorant and arrogant all rolled into one avatar.

Daryl

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:47 am

ronnyg wrote:I am sure that if BMG believed Elvis' original catalogue sold more, those titles would be out there. I believe a lot of Elvis' original albums were out in CD form in the late 80s and early 90's and then the key titles were put out again a few years ago with bonus tracks. Apparently, they didn't sell. My guess is that if they had sold well, they would still be available.

Comparing Miles Davis' and Elvis' respective catalogues is like comparing apples to oranges. When Miles Davis recorded, he ran a series of sessions with the knowledge that the material was going into the next album. I think the exceptions would have been the Quiet Nights album and the song Nothing Like You from Sorcerer. The rest of his albums all contained music recorded specifically for the albums that came out respective to the sessions. Elvis recorded songs and they were released piecemeal on albums scattered throughout his career so it is not as important for his albums to be kept together with the possible exceptions that I noted earlier. These albums are more important to the hardcore fans who already have them. Someone else pointed out that you cannot get an understanding of Elvis' career without knowing these albums. This is true but it is the perspective of a more intense fan, not a casual consumer. I like the song Buddy Hollly by Weezer so I bought the disc, but I don't necessarily want a deeper understanding of their career.

You continue to miss the point. A catalogue by one of music's most important and influential artists should have the majority of its titles in print. Record labels keep many titles in print by legacy artists even when they are not "big" sellers. With your logic, a handful of titles from The Who such as "A Quick One," "Who Sell Out," "Who By Numbers," "Face Dances" etc would be out of print. Maybe Atlantic should delete Led Zeppelin's "Presence" from the catalogue since it isn't as strong as a seller as the rest of the catalogue. A load of Bob Dylan's back catalogue doesn't move big numbers such as "John Wesley Harding" and "Planet Waves." Maybe Warner should delete The Doors' "Soft Parade," afterall, Touch Me is available on other compilations and since that title is a low seller, it is okay for a potential fan not to have a chance to later on hear Shaman's Blues. The Band's back catalogue doesn't move big numbers, maybe EMI should just issue compilations. The list goes on and on. It isn't just about strong sales, there has to be a balance between making money on compilations for casual consumers and the artistic integrity of the catalogue as a whole. The Miles Davis comparison is very valid. Davis' titles do not move big numbers, his hits and theme compilations do well along with "Kind Of Blue," yet Sony keeps the majority of the titles in print. And why not? He is a Jazz legend, much like Elvis is a Rock legend. Once a fan wants to dig deeper into the Davis catalogue, they have a large body of work at their disposal for consumption. Davis did not strickly record for one album, his sessions could yield material that would span across many albums. You act as though keeping titles in print is somehow a large financial commitment. It costs something like $1.50-$2.00 U.S. dollars to print cds. It isn't a complicated process. Legacy artists like Paul Butterfield have the bulk of their catalogues in print, do you think that catalogue moves big numbers? No, but Paul was a very influential artist and Warner keeps the titles in print. Mostly, you are diminishing Elvis' body of work by saying his original recorded output isn't worthy of being in print because in 2007 casual consumers will have no interest in potentially buying "Today" or some other mediocre album. No reason to continue going back and forth, but it is depressing to know that there are EP fans out there that actually think that by BMG/Sony keeping the majority of EP's albums off the shelves and replacing them with themed compilations that the artistic integrity and legacy of the EP catalogue is somehow going in a positive direction.

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:10 am

YES ANNOYING CRY BABY. WHAT DO YOU WANT 10,000 GREATEST HITS COMPLATIONS?

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:12 am

Hello,

Dr. John Carpenter wrote:

Your posts kill me, "Daryl."

My posts are more like a punch square between the eyes. Don't you know that such a punch can be lethal. Or don't you know any better and instead keep dragging your carcass up off the mat.

Dr. John Carpenter also wrote:

Are you out of work?

Apparently, you must be Doc., given the sheer number of posts you've made. Where's that FTD Sun project? Wasn't Doc supposed to write the liner notes for it? That was until Ernst discovered that his other brother "Johnny Savage" was writing liners for bootlegs. Man, and I thought I had it rough hearing the "Hi, I'm Larry, this is my brother Daryl, and my other brother Darryl and my other brother Darrell" jokes from Newhart.

Daryl

Thank Goodness

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:38 am

I never knew you went to Coachella Doc!! Well good to see my vitriol was for a good cause! See you in a few months, or maybe I will run into you at a Chiodos show?

drjohncarpenter wrote:
David Bendeth wrote:I am more Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Breaking Benjamin and Paramore these days, ask Doc, I amd sure he has those CD's.

Nah, of newer stuff I prefer Arcade Fire, the Shins, Clientele -- you know, bands that never heard of you.

OUT OF THE BLUE !

Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:03 am

Daryl, Newhart was a great show. Made your name famous.

I think you can break into any account on the internet you want anytime. All you need is a 14 year old kid with a computer and a Hacker CD.

The Doc is a real character, he just keeps putting a big target on his back. He lives for it. He can really grasp defeat out of the arms of Victory.

I really like the way he acted all hurt and dissapointed at my post and then went back to his normal defensive pose and lit up like a bonfire.

This is a guy that slagged me off for 5 years, cursed my work, called me incompetent and a disgrace. Then, he acts all shocked that I would say anything derogatory about him. How could I? Unfathomable, I know.
Doc is completely delusional.
Ya gotta love him.

Daryl wrote:Hello David,

No I don't have another brother named "Darrell" and "Darryl." Nor do I have a brother "Larry." If I had a nickel for every time I've been asked that, I'd probably be a millionaire by now. BTW, I loved "Newhart."

BTW, is it really possible to break into someone's iTunes account? I never really thought about it before. Not that I would want to or anything.

As for Doc. Carpenter, your comments on him David were accurate. He thinks your comments were "out of the blue." It's quite obvious that Doc is oblivious to the fact that he is ignorant and arrogant all rolled into one avatar.

Daryl

Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:40 am

Hello David,

Ol' Doc sure is a character. He still believes what Peter Guralnick (he wrote the liner notes to 30 #1 Hits) wrote in the second volume of his two-book biography that Johnny Rivers stole the Chuck Berry song "Memphis" from Elvis despite evidence to the contrary

http://www.johnnyrivers.com/truth.html

Here's something for the Doc. to chew on? I wonder if Peter Guralnick had the balls to ask Lou Adler about the "Memphis" accusation when he was researching his biography on Sam Cooke ("Dream Boogie - The Triumph Of Sam Cooke"). Guessing by Lou's reaction to the accusation in the link provided above, I seriously doubt it. Even Elvis' 1969-1977 guitarist James Burton refutes Guralnick's claim.

Doc. also believes that the "Standing Room Only" LP (an album that was planned for October '72 but ultimately nixed due to the "Madison Square Garden" LP and the impending "Aloha From Hawaii" LP) was to consist of the February '72 Las Vegas masters recorded by Felton Jarvis. However, the "Standing Room Only" LP was to be the soundtrack to the film "Elvis On Tour" shot on Elvis' April '72 tour, for the most part. In fact "Standing Room Only" was a working title only at the time. Doc. went on to again source Guralnick's second volume and interviews with Mary Jarvis (Felton's wife) who claimed that the Feb. '72 recordings were to be used. However, her husband fell ill shortly after the April tour, which allowed RCA executive Joan Deary to produce the Madison Square Garden LP as well as the Aloha LP. Doc., for the life of him can't figure out that she was going to be the one responsible for "Standing Room Only" due to Felton's illness. She would have had final say over the LP. In fact, she did interviews with certain individuals in the Elvis world in which she reiterated what the plans were for the "Standing Room Only" LP. Also, due to Felton's serious health problems, I would have to believe Mary Jarvis would be more concerned with her husband's health rather than the contents of Elvis' next LP.

Problem with Doc. is that he believes everything Jorgensen/Guralnick have written, hook...line...sinker without even questioning the legitimacy of any of it. Instead of always "reading and learning" maybe he should "read and question"

"Question everything but your own existence"

As for your work on "30 #1 Hits", David, I wouldn't lose any sleep over Doc. not liking it. I'm pretty sure the other 9+ Million other people worldwide who bought it enjoyed it. I know I did.

Daryl

Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:09 am

Daryl wrote:Johnny Rivers stole the Chuck Berry song "Memphis" from Elvis

He did?

Get over it already.

Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:46 am

Boy oh Boy....I can only repeat my original thoughts.

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... hp?t=30556

Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:09 pm

Daryl wrote:
My posts are more like a punch square between the eyes. Don't you know that such a punch can be lethal. Or don't you know any better and instead keep dragging your carcass up off the mat.

I think you'll find mind-numbingly boring is closer to the mark. Incidentally this is not just my opinion, but reflects the comments of others in previous threads. It goes without saying that anyone writing this egocentric nonsense instantly reveals EXACTLY who they are along with their intellectual capacity in the process.

Kris P wrote:
Unfortunately Johnny has no shortage of lap dogs on this MB, all to keen to massage his ego.

For lap dogs try substituting:genuine fans without petty grievances and fragile egos who appreciate access to information not widely known along with an informed view. Perhaps then you will begin to understand DJC's well deserved wide appeal.

Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:20 pm

ritchie valens wrote:YES ANNOYING CRY BABY. WHAT DO YOU WANT 10,000 GREATEST HITS COMPLATIONS?

Easy, big fella.

Warning to you guys.... don't make me turn this tiger loose on you.

Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:36 pm

Rob wrote: .. don't make me turn this tiger loose on you

Sounds like Tucker Garvey' (Steve Brodie) dialoque in Blue Hawaii :lol:! Turn the tiger loose