All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:45 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:For some reason, most people dislike "Harum Scarum" with a passion. Not me and Jerry Nodak though. We have good taste!

Long live FTD.

Keith Richards, Jr.


The only problem with the FTD CD is they used the horrible sounding original album mixes and not the nice, shiny new mixes used on "Double features"!? :evil:

Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:50 pm

Thomas wrote: FTD ROCKS !!!!

Without a doubt.

Thomas wrote:"Easy Come, Easy Go" is my first movie album. I think I may have to collect them as well.

By all means. Don't judge the FTD by the quality of the movie. The outtakes and studio banter alone are worth it. "Paradise Hawaiian Style" is one of his worst movies, but the FTD outtakes are great.

Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:02 pm

TONY wrote:
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:For some reason, most people dislike "Harum Scarum" with a passion. Not me and Jerry Nodak though. We have good taste!

Long live FTD.

Keith Richards, Jr.


The only problem with the FTD CD is they used the horrible sounding original album mixes and not the nice, shiny new mixes used on "Double features"!? :evil:


Yes, that was a mistake. The outtakes on "Harum Scarum" sound 10 times better than the masters. But the masters on "Viva Las Vegas" and "Fun In Acapulco" have very good sound.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:11 pm

kuenzer wrote:
Thomas wrote:Jean-Marc lives in Switzerland and he does GREAT work.


Jean-Marc lives in Switzerland AND he does great work.


This combination now sounds like a miracle to me.... :shock: :lol:

Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:15 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:But you should go for "Viva Las Vegas" and "Fun In Acapulco" first. For some reason, most people dislike "Harum Scarum" with a passion. Not me and Jerry Nodak though. We have good taste!

Thank you Keith, I will go for these!

As for "Raised On Rock", BOY the sound on these outtakes is GREAT! Especially on "If You Don't Come Back"! It just blew me away! It's like Elvis was in the room!

Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:41 pm

Thomas wrote:
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:But you should go for "Viva Las Vegas" and "Fun In Acapulco" first. For some reason, most people dislike "Harum Scarum" with a passion. Not me and Jerry Nodak though. We have good taste!

Thank you Keith, I will go for these!


Sir, I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Thomas wrote:As for "Raised On Rock", BOY the sound on these outtakes is GREAT! Especially on "If You Don't Come Back"! It just blew me away! It's like Elvis was in the room!


Looking forward to hearing these! I'm glad they have found a true fan who can remaster the '70s stuff, too, just like they've done with Kevan and Sebastian with the early stuff.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:43 pm

Still waiting

Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:13 pm

Mike DK wrote:I was listening to the Nashville 71 disc last night and enjoyed it a lot. There is some great outtakes on there (can't stand "Love Me Love The Life I Lead" and "Padre" though....). Sound is good but has been mastered too load (coming from Lene Reidel its no surprise). But all in all its a great release :D

I have not listened to everything on the new Raised on Rock release yet, but what I have heard sounds really great. The sound is very very good !
I have always had a soft spot for the song I Miss You and the outtakes sounds wonderful. Will be listening to both discs later today using headphones.


"Love Me, Love The Life I Lead" is a perfect song and this outtake I do like very much...highlight of this CD...

LIFE I LEAD

Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:28 pm

Yes, I agree. This song is now more cool than cabaret with it's fine guitar work from JB and no orchestral overdubs. Similar situation with out-take of "The sound of your cry" on Platinum box set.

Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:53 pm

Ton Bruins wrote:"Love Me, Love The Life I Lead" is a perfect song


:shock:

Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:30 pm

Without having read all the comments here I want to add, that I am extremely happy with the recent FTD-releases. There is simply nothing to complain about. All the releases have great sound, great booklets and are fun listen to.
The now upcoming Las Vegas Show form 1969 is promising, too. First as it is an important show in Elvis' recording history, and second as it is mastered by Vic Anesini. Do you guys remember how great the "San Antonio" show sounds on the Close Up set!? If the 1969 show sounds as good as this one, I will have a happy 30th anniversary.

So, here it is, Ernst: a big applause from one of the long time critics! :D

Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:21 pm

etp wrote:
Do you guys remember how great the "San Antonio" show sounds on the Close Up set!?


That disc was mixed and mastered by Dennis Ferrante. Though the sound quality is good,there's a lot of hiss which is quite disturbing.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:30 pm

Matthew wrote:
Ton Bruins wrote:"Love Me, Love The Life I Lead" is a perfect song


:shock:

Not my first choice, but what do I know?

The standouts for me are "That's What You Get (For Loving Me), a beautiful "It's Still Here" and a rocking version of "Put Your Hand In The Hand." It was interesting to hear an intro on "Help Me Make It Through The Night."

The Christmas songs made me want to put the tree up, but I'm still not fond of "Padre."

All in all, a good CD and a nice addition to the ol' collection.

Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:34 pm

It seems to me that the new FTD's have been 100% appreciated by most fans here this time. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen so few complaints! And I, too, am very satisfied with them (haven't bought "I Sing All Kinds" yet though).

The songs on Easy Come, Easy Go are not that good. But hey, it's Elvis! Excitement! Adventure under the sea! :D And I think all his movie soundtracks feature some moments of nice, clean entertainment. I kind of like "The Love Machine" and "You Gotta Stop", for example; the only song I can't stand this time is "Yoga Is As Yoga Does" which I actually hadn't heard before. Elvis sounds downright disgusted. And embarassed. Just like he did on "Old MacDonald". Poor guy...

The design is pretty good, but not as good as their best efforts, like "Elvis Is Back!" or "Paradise, Hawaiian Style" among others. However, it features some really interesting facts prestented in that intelligent AND humourous way we've come expect from Ernst and Roger. I love that part about Hal Wallis writing a letter to Parker because he's so concerned about Elvis's weird hairstyle!

"According to Wallis, Elvis' hair is too fluffed up, too black and looks like a wig, but the bottom line is that he doesn't look like a Navy frogman."

Outta sight! :D

As a Tom Parker fan, I'm also delighted to read this: "The Colonel tries to encourage MGM to come up with a good hard edged story for Elvis' next motion picture. He advises that Elvis wants to do away with girls in bikinis and nightclub scenes 'which have been in his last 15 pictures', as he puts it."

VERY interesting!

Come on, CD-R people: get your sh*t together and BUY THE REAL THING! It's ridiculous to settle for boring CD-R copies of these beauties. Not only that, it's cheap too. :twisted:

The sound? Better than expected! All in all, this is a really nice FTD.

I have nothing much to add to the previous posts about Raised On Rock. It's a fantastic CD and I'm glad they've found a sound wizard for the '70 stuff as well!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:29 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:It seems to me that the new FTD's have been 100% appreciated by most fans here this time. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen so few complaints!

I've noticed the same thing, but I didn't want to say anything because I was hoping this was the beginning of a new trend.

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:And I, too, am very satisfied with them (haven't bought "I Sing All Kinds" yet though).

It surprises me that if you were going to leave one out that it would be this one and not "Easy Come, Easy Go." I bought them all, but that one would have been my last choice if I had to choose. Many have been asking for the Nashville '71 outtakes for years and now we finally have some of them. Read my extremely brief review on it above your last post and don't waste another minute.

I'm counting on you, Keith.

Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:17 pm

Rob wrote:It surprises me that if you were going to leave one out that it would be this one and not "Easy Come, Easy Go." I bought them all, but that one would have been my last choice if I had to choose.


Yeah, it doesn't make sense, does it? But I'll get around to buying the Nashville '71 CD eventually. I have bought a truckload of CDs recently, Joni Mitchell, James Brown, The O'Jays, Supremes, Eddie Floyd, you name it, so I'm kind of saving "I Sing All Kinds" for later -- for a time when I don't have so many other CDs to listen to. It's a good thing I'm home from work this week...

...which also means I can get out of here and drink some Jack Daniel's and Budweiser RIGHT now. :smt030

Rob wrote:I'm counting on you, Keith.


Thanks Rob. By the way, when I log on here tomorrow, I want to hear that Bill Anderson story you promised to share with us about two years ago! You did meet him, right...?

Keith Richards, Jr.

Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:48 am

Thomas wrote:Three new shiny FTD's just arrived today. Just lying there, they make me hornier than a 19year old

...



You do realise that these are CD's for playing on a CD player?

Not not just for for your hard.................................................drive?

Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:30 am

Man, I was listening to "Raised On Rock" over and over during the weekend. I simply can't get enough of it! A big thank you to the FTD team for this one.

Vic Anesini and Jean-Marc has done a truly wonderful job -- the sound quality is, as many have said before, sensational. It will be a real treat to have the remaining '70s albums in this sound. To be honest, I didn't particularly look forward to them before, simply because I already have them in good sound... but now I can't WAIT to get those sumbitches! This is how music should sound.

Let's hope they will feature more inspired booklets too. The "Raised On Rock" booklet ain't bad, but it doesn't blow me away either, like the booklets to "Kid Galahad", "Elvis Is Back", "Harum Scarum" and a bunch of other FTD's do.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:12 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Man, I was listening to "Raised On Rock" over and over during the weekend. I simply can't get enough of it! A big thank you to the FTD team for this one.

Vic Anesini and Jean-Marc has done a truly wonderful job -- the sound quality is, as many have said before, sensational.


I agree, Keith.

Raised On Rock is a FANTASTIC package. They really did a great job. I Sing All Kinds is very good as well. My favorite outtakes on this are "Help Me Make It Through The Night" and "Put Your Hand In The Hand".

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:It will be a real treat to have the remaining '70s albums in this sound. To be honest, I didn't particularly look forward to them before, simply because I already have them in good sound... but now I can't WAIT to get those sumbitches! This is how music should sound.


Yes indeed. I keep wondering how great the Promised Land album will turn out from FTD. Two others I would love to see are Elvis Country and From Elvis In Memphis.

Rich

Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:22 pm

I recently bought Raised on Rock and I was very pleased with the sound quality and the overall content. How does this compare with Today? Cause I've read some bad reviews sound and content wise.
Thanks
Javier

Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:45 pm

javilu wrote:I recently bought Raised on Rock and I was very pleased with the sound quality and the overall content. How does this compare with Today? Cause I've read some bad reviews sound and content wise.
Thanks
Javier


There were some negative comments in regards to Today.

Yes, the audio is "unsteady" (outtakes are louder than the masters), but in my opinion -- it's a must-have.

The "original session mixes" on Disc 2 are a terrific bonus (just like Raised On Rock).

Rich

Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:31 pm

Thanks Rich!!!
But beside the audio level problems, is the sound quality as crisp, clear and warm as on Raised?
Javier

Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:43 pm

javilu wrote:Thanks Rich!!!
But beside the audio level problems, is the sound quality as crisp, clear and warm as on Raised?
Javier


Between the two? Raised On Rock is better.

But IMO, the FTD Today sounds fine.

No matter what, opinions will differ. Some like the sound of the FTD "Live On Stage In Memphis". I think it's terrible.

Would I still buy it? Of course! I can't help it - I have to get all the FTD's !!

Rich

Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:11 pm

Yes,the sound quality on FTD 'Today' is good. Not perfect,but good. Buy it if you still don't have it. It's a must have.

Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:24 pm

I've learned to live with the different volumes on "Elvis Today". I enjoy it very much especially the rough mixes. I don't have "Raised on Rock" yet but plan on getting it. Why are there only a handful of the rough mixes? Were the ones excluded just not overdubbed? Or do they just not have them?