All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:28 am

any expert round here can compare 20-bit japanese with Vic anesini transfer from the recently found master tapes?

Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:58 pm

I think thenexte already made a comment that the new FTD is superior in sound to the japanese 20-bit.

Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:26 pm

Mike DK wrote:I think thenexte already made a comment that the new FTD is superior in sound to the japanese 20-bit.

well I dont agree with that,as I wrote in another thread 2 weeks ago.
Still ROR-Ftd is a awsome release though.......same goes for I sing all kinds.
Have had them both for 2weeks and still play them every day,thats very unusual for me.

Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:10 am

:shock: unusual for me too, but ROR presents those sessions in best and most complete way/...so far well done FTD! :roll:

Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:17 pm

I think this release is sad cause it shows how quickly from 1/14/73 to 7/21-23/73 a mear six months from aloha how far he had fallen .
Scott

Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:43 am

scottngeorgia wrote:I think this release is sad cause it shows how quickly from 1/14/73 to 7/21-23/73 a mear six months from aloha how far he had fallen .
Scott

I always considered "Aloha from Hawaii" the beginning of the end, Elvis should have taken off the whole year, this would have been a good point to straighten himself out. Honestly, I think 1972 took too much out of him, both personally and professionally. Elvis' first 1973 Vegas season (only weeks after the Aloha show) was a disaster, his voice sounded weak and he had to cancel several shows.

Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:21 am

scottngeorgia wrote:I think this release is sad cause it shows how quickly from 1/14/73 to 7/21-23/73 a mear six months from aloha how far he had fallen .
Scott

Even less than 6 months as Elvis sounded overall great through the june-july tour.

Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:34 pm

The ROR album is great. What's the problem with it?

I think the double FTD release certainly brings these recordings to life - and just like the Jungle Room Sessions, improves on the overall feel.

A true RAISED ON ROCK album could have been comprised of tracks from all the STAX sessions and included

RAISED ON ROCK
THREE CORN PATCHES
I GOT A FEELIN' IN MY BODY
TALK ABOUT THE GOODTIMES
PROMISED LAND
IF YOU TALK IN YOUR SLEEP
IF YOU DON'T COME BACK
JUST A LITTLE BIT
YOU ASKED ME TO
FIND OUT WHAT'S HAPPENING

With a lack of Ballads, it would have been more in keeping with it's title.

Having said that, tracks like I Miss You and For Ol' Times Sake are among his finest ballads

Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:07 am

sorry folks, but I have to say that ftd remastering is exquisite. Not as louder as japanese 20 bit, but it has a sound so warm that's incredible. Bass really hits you on a good stereo system. Good job ftd people.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:16 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:The ROR album is great. What's the problem with it?

Great (adjective):- Very significant or important, powerful and influential, used to emphasise how much of a quality something has.

I think this is rather an inappropriate word to describe the merits of the “Raised On Rock” album. In terms of the quality of the FTD release itself perhaps this word could be bestowed upon it but only in terms of presentation of the product and goals achieved.

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:A true RAISED ON ROCK album could have been comprised of tracks from all the STAX sessions and included

RAISED ON ROCK
THREE CORN PATCHES
I GOT A FEELIN' IN MY BODY
TALK ABOUT THE GOODTIMES
PROMISED LAND
IF YOU TALK IN YOUR SLEEP
IF YOU DON'T COME BACK
JUST A LITTLE BIT
YOU ASKED ME TO
FIND OUT WHAT'S HAPPENING

With a lack of Ballads, it would have been more in keeping with it's title.

Having said that, tracks like I Miss You and For Ol' Times Sake are among his finest ballads

I agree with the notion that a single album of material from the 1973 Stax sessions should have been the ultimate conclusion in 1974 however not in the above format. Recordings such as “For Ol’ Times Sake”, “Loving Arms, and “It’s Midnight” to name three are worthy album contenders. Indeed I offered a track listing earlier in this thread:

1974 album: Promised Land

Side A: Promised Land - Just A Little Bit - I’ve Got A Thing About You Baby - Loving Arms - For Ol’ Times Sake - It’s Midnight
Side B: You Asked Me To - If You Talk In Your Sleep - There’s A Honky Tonk Angel - Help Me - Good Time Charlie’s Got The Blues - Talk About The Good Times

Of course 10 different people would have 10 different lineups.
Last edited by Matthew on Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:21 am

opps
Last edited by scottngeorgia on Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:27 am

frus75 wrote:
Scott
Even less than 6 months as Elvis sounded overall great through the june-july tour.
Were is your proof ?
only professionally recorded material form this period is the sub par july sessions

Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:54 am

Matthew

There will always be 2 groups:
- one looking for a STAX album that would gather the best of both sessions (this is yours)
- and another one (Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man and mine) that would prefer the best of the r&b/country rock material (exclusively) from both sessions. For me, the perfect tracklist would be:

Side A
IF YOU DON´T COME BACK - I GOT A FEELIN´ IN MY BODY - RAISED ON ROCK - LOVIN´ ARMS - GOT A FEELINGABOUT YOU BABY - FIND OUT WHAT´S HAPPENING
Side B
JUST A LITTLE BIT - THREE CORN PATCHES - GOOD TIMES CHARLIE´S GOT THE BLUES - PROMISED LAND - IF YOU TALK IN YOUR SLEEP - TALK ABOUT THE GOOD TIMES

Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:01 pm

Ideally, 1 strong 12 track album should've been put together from the December '73 Stax sessions . However, taking into account the July sessions and the Palm Springs recordings, I think 2 reasonably solid 12 track albums could've resulted. One album could've had a contemporary thrust to it combining funk-rockers (If You Talk In Your Sleep; Raised On Rock; If You Don't Come Back; I've Got a Feelin' In My Body) with modern-sounding ballads (Lovin' Arms; Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues; For Ol' Times Sake; Sweet Angeline) and commerical pop-oriented tunes (I've Got a Thing About You Baby; Thinking About You; My Boy; Love Song Of The Year). The second album would be more traditional in flavor, with old-school rock & roll (Promised Land; Just a Little Bit; Find Out What's Happening) country ballads (There's a Honkytonk Angel; She Wears My Ring; It's Midnight; Your Love's Been a Long Time Comin') country-rock (You Asked Me To; Talk About The Good Times) gospel (Help Me; If That Isn't Love) and the standard Spanish Eyes. The remaining 6 tracks (Are You Sincere; I Miss You; Girl Of Mine; Three Corn Patches; Take Good Care Of Her; Mr. Songman) could've been used as single B-sides or Elvis Today album tracks (although GoM and TCP should've either been shelved or had the vocals re-recorded).

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:01 pm

scottngeorgia wrote:
frus75 wrote:
Scott
Were is your proof ?
only professionally recorded material form this period is the sub par july sessions

on audience recordings from that tour he sounds quite good. His voice is up to perform demanding numbers. Hopefully someday a soundboard will appear from this tour.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:14 pm

I'd just as soon keep the December sessions separate from the July sessions. Elvis sounds so much better on the Dec. stuff, and there's better material (and more of it) there.

Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:32 pm

thekingisalive wrote:You’ll love it, Rob. I promise you.

When you're right, you're right.

The sound is superb and Elvis is not in the depressed mood that has been reported for years (at least not while the tape is rolling).

Very seldom do I laugh out loud while sitting alone with headphones on (I have an uncle who does that and we had to put him in a home a few years ago).

However, the end of "For Ol' Times Sake" on take 7 made me lose it. Instead of singing, "If you don't have nothing left to say", he sings, "If you don't have nothing left to do." He gets frustrated at the flubbed word and his comments are hilarious.

For those of you who are procrastinating and haven't bought it, you're missing out in the worst kind of way.

Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:25 am

Rob wrote:
thekingisalive wrote:You’ll love it, Rob. I promise you.

When you're right, you're right.

The sound is superb and Elvis is not in the depressed mood that has been reported for years (at least not while the tape is rolling).

Very seldom do I laugh out loud while sitting alone with headphones on (I have an uncle who does that and we had to put him in a home a few years ago).

However, the end of "For Ol' Times Sake" on take 7 made me lose it. Instead of singing, "If you don't have nothing left to say", he sings, "If you don't have nothing left to do." He gets frustrated at the flubbed word and his comments are hilarious.

For those of you who are procrastinating and haven't bought it, you're missing out in the worst kind of way.

Rob, I couldn't agree with you more ...

I've had all 3 FTD's for almost 2 weeks now and I have been wear n out my Raised On Rock set.

The rough mixes alone are worth the purchase :!:

Only God, (and Felton), know why these rough mixes sound/ed so much better than what actually mixed and mastered for the album back in '73.

Also a pity that some of these trax, (For 'Ol Times Sake, If You Don't Come Back), haven't seen the light of day on more mainstream Sony/BMG releases over the years :!: :roll:

Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:33 am

Raised On Rock ftd is a great cd as a 50s fan some of the 70s stuff gets a little boring but all in all its very good. but i must say im getting a little bored with all the chat in between takes i know a lot of fans like this i used to myself years ago but i just like the songs now with no chat.

Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:05 pm

I think Pete Dube's two-album analysis of the sessions was about perfect. Too bad they stretched two excellent albums into three.
rick

Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:21 pm

rocknroller wrote:Raised On Rock ftd is a great cd as a 50s fan some of the 70s stuff gets a little boring but all in all its very good. but i must say im getting a little bored with all the chat in between takes i know a lot of fans like this i used to myself years ago but i just like the songs now with no chat.

I just like the chat myself, no songs. ohhh i used to like the songs but now im tired of em. just edit out the songs and give me the chatter..

god i need my own private island! :roll:

Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:22 pm

Kylan wrote:god i need my own private island! :roll:

My sister-in-law actually sells private islands, believe it or not. I'd buy one myself except that I'm 10 or 20 million short...and I don't like small planes.

Axe

Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:55 pm

Just got this today and let me say this...WOW!!!

Finally a 1970's album from FTD that sounds the way it's supposed to...GREAT!!

I haven't done side by side comparison yet, but IMO this sounds even better than the excellent Japanese 20-bit.

Can we have a mulligan on Today? Release the "Vic Anesini remaster"?

GREAT job Ernst and crew, and please from here on out, let Vic do all of the 70s studio mastering please...at least for the classic album series.

Bring on the Classic Album Special edition of TTWII !