All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Memphis Recording Service

Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:37 am

Just read the interview on the EIN, and will say this.
The Elvis World, never fails to amaze me.

Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:49 am

Kris P wrote:Don't mention the war....errr, interview......I did once and think I got away with it.

Image

:wink:


Mentioning the interview isn't the problem, some things said in the interview are not allowed to be posted on this board for various reasons pertaining to how the guidlines are set up here.

It's a tough challenge not to mention or go after anyone on this board No matter who they are, most everyone in life I'm sure has a skelton or two in their own closet so to speak.

If anything I was more interested in knowing about how quality is improved or maintained in the interview, an for that reason alone I thought it was interesting reading .

Reading about what could be forth coming was of interest as well, not to say too much was said about that tho at this point. :wink:

Bottom line its Elvis information that I personally am more interested in reading about, than trying to point fingers.....yet I understand how One wants to be able to defend themselves too.

As far as the product goes, the product speaks for its self, and I for One have enjoyed every project MRS has come out with thus far.
Image
Politics a side, its the forth coming information as to what could follow that is of more interest to me than to debate about who is honest, who is doing this an who is doing whatever.

An yes the Elvis world is a interesting One that's for sure.....

PEP 8)
Last edited by PEP on Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:51 am

Wow :!: Everyone who visits this forum should read the interview with Joseph Pirzada:
http://www.elvisinfonet.com/interview_pirzada.html

Fascinating. And this is only part one...

Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:14 pm

I read the interview and he makes alot of sense.
All thru the years RCA showed disinterest in the legacy of ELvis and his priceless recordings, by not keeping them safe, losing them, erasing them, and so forth.

Now they seem to be backpeddling and trying to somehow show that they have the best product out there. It is true most of the time, but evidence has shown us that its not true all the time.

It seems that alot of great stuff is in the hands of private collectors and BMG or EPE is too cheap to buy this stuff.
Given that, I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel concerning any kind of Anthology DVD set. It doesn't seem like they are trying to gather the material needed for such a project.

With ELvis recordings splittered out all over the place, its hard for any one company to succeed both financially and artistically.

Also, if rare Elvis material is very expensive to buy, and once its released, it loses most of the value, doesn't it seem logical that some of the collectors are paying too much for the material in the first place.
I mean, if you can't recoup your investment, then you alone will be the only one enjoying the footage or tape.

subject

Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:34 pm

RE--Rare rare Elvis recordings, if they do actually exist, would it not be a fact that they came from the RCA Vaults, and in fact belong to RCA, but somehow disappeared, perhaps they were borrowed, and for some odd reason, were never returned, anyway if someone has professionally recorded material of Elvis that Sony/BMG do not have, it would certainly be a surprise, would it not??????

Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:58 pm

Barry quote: RE--Rare rare Elvis recordings, if they do actually exist, would it not be a fact that they came from the RCA Vaults, and in fact belong to RCA, but somehow disappeared, perhaps they were borrowed, and for some odd reason, were never returned, anyway if someone has professionally recorded material of Elvis that Sony/BMG do not have, it would certainly be a surprise, would it not??????

***********************************
Barry it would depend on what tapes you are talking about.
Live Radio recordings from the 50's are in a different catagory than say 70's studio work.

And if there are suprises, it would again depend on what what released.
If "rock around the clock" came out, no surprise, since this has been said to exist for years. Back when "hearts of stone" was released, I had never heard that title as being unreleased before, so it came as a surprise to me.

Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:43 pm

ekenee wrote:I read the interview and he makes alot of sense.
All thru the years RCA showed disinterest in the legacy of ELvis and his priceless recordings, by not keeping them safe, losing them, erasing them, and so forth.
Agreed :wink:
Now they seem to be backpeddling and trying to somehow show that they have the best product out there. It is true most of the time, but evidence has shown us that its not true all the time.
ekenee, could you give some examples of when its not true?I'm curious...I'm also curious to know when it is true...to help understand the difference..
It seems that alot of great stuff is in the hands of private collectors and BMG or EPE is too cheap to buy this stuff.
This I'm sure is true and not true at the same time...meaning there are collectors out there who may have what they have and believe what they have is worth zillions while on the other hand there may be some collectors who do not realize what they have an are not approached or may not think of contacting anyone or there is the collector who still just wants it for their collection only, some out there might also Not want to have any contact with RCA/BMG/SONY at all for various reasons....it can go on an on.....
Given that, I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel concerning any kind of Anthology DVD set. It doesn't seem like they are trying to gather the material needed for such a project.
I'm assuming you are now talking about the DVD Anthology, if you are, you could be right, there will be pieces missing in the puzzle, I do get the feeling they will not go the extra mile like the Beatles organization did for their Anthology.
With ELvis recordings splittered out all over the place, its hard for any one company to succeed both financially and artistically.
Some would have to suck it up, for it to work, the arrogant's at times of the top dogs sometimes does show through, meaning EPE or BMG, as they feel it's always in their control and should be at all times, this would mean financially and the politics behind the scenes not of the people in the forefront....like Ernst or Roger, as I'm sure they are people just like You and I .....fans first...It's the others behind the scenes who pull the strings who do not understand nor care as its about the bottom line which is also understandable.
Also, if rare Elvis material is very expensive to buy, and once its released, it loses most of the value, doesn't it seem logical that some of the collectors are paying too much for the material in the first place.
I mean, if you can't recoup your investment, then you alone will be the only one enjoying the footage or tape.
The reality is, there are collectors who do not look at it this way, meaning they do only want it for their collections and their collections alone, some will spent thousands hoping No one will have access, when it comes to film or pictures once leaked the value does plummet very quickly for the original item very quickly....so this type of collection is heavily guarded as with original Elvis items like clothing or jewelry they only have one origin and one original in mostly cases, which can be a more secure investment.

Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:28 am

I would like to know just what Mr. Hanna has in his collection. I would love to fly over there for dinner one night (I'll buy dinner) and see his stuff!!!

Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:26 am

Great interview. I still can't wipe the smile from my face about some of the comments made. Its a must read - explosive in some ways!
Hey JP, look me up next time you're in Sydney. Mmmm, drinking beers and talking Elvis!

Re: Memphis Recording Service

Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:32 am

Barry wrote:Just read the interview on the EIN, and will say this.
The Elvis World, never fails to amaze me.

It's rare to see somebody so vehemently ripping into people that are on the payroll of Elvis' record company, just in an effort to push their own product, which doesn't really differ that much from what's been released officially (referring to the SUN recordings).

Besides, with this stuff in the public domain now, what makes them think somebody else can't come along and offer something even better sounding? I also fail to see how the choice to release the audio on a DVD should attract new buyers, nobody listens to music this way!

They are obviously a niche player trying to drum up some business by attacking the bigwigs in the Elvis world, how classy is that?
Last edited by thenexte on Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:03 am, edited 4 times in total.

Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:45 am

Required reading. Would be interesting to get some feedback.

Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:06 am

Pep, I really don't want to name the releases that don't match the sound to the boot counter part, only because it is subjective and some won't agree.

Well, ok, some that are easy to tell would be the Pittsburgh show 76,
the Little rock 1956 show, and several others that I don't keep a list of, but they are out there and to my ears the BMG release is inferior, just as Mr. pirzhada states.

I know these are not mainstream type things, but that is the point he made in the interview, that certain odds and ends that BMG does not have in first generation.

I find it all very interesting.

Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:27 am

I truly feel for PEP who must be having a tough time moderating this board over comments made about J Pirzada's interview.

Joseph has a lot to say and that fact that I had a chance to glimpse his Tupelo project before completion opened my eyes to his true enthusiasm about releasing great Elvis product to the general public.

JP has so much more in his collection. . . and then he goes and tells me what he has seen at Sherif Hanna's house! Oh man, and I'm stuck in Sydney!

Anyway this was during the time of all the negativity about JP's MRS projects on this MB.
I think Joseph's long interview answers must go a fair way in explaining why he should have been given a fairer go at the time by some people who showed particular bias against his work.

JP is very forthright in what he believes - and calls a spade a spade!
Even I am somewhat shocked to see his answers in black&white on EIN, yet Nigel & I both did the interview!

The Elvis World is a fascinating and amazingly political place indeed,

Cheers
Piers

Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:40 am

:shock: Best interview I ever read on EIN! well done Piers! :roll:

One P----D Off Elvis Fan

Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:21 am

I am 43 years of age and been collecting elvis music for 30 years or so. I have never been a member of any FAN CLUB or GROUP or never will, I just enjoy listening to the music or reading QUALITY PUBLICATIONS (ETMHM-MRS-FTD). Just spending hard earned money on these as well as BMG puts severe strain on my family as i have to explain Elvis is not more important to me than they are. I am not in the position financially to pay top dollars for something that may or may not be worth the money Sherif Hanna or others paid for his private collection , but when i read of what people may have or may not have really P---s me off because how can they call themselves ELVIS FANS if all they want to do is gain money from what they have. I don't call myself an elvis fan or collector but i know that if i had the oppertunity to distribute more Elvis Unheard music or Unseen footage i would, not for gain but just for the enjoyment it would give other people. As regards this sound is better than that sound or this is mixed better than that surely it's down to the individual, as for me I find very little diference if any at all between Kevan Budds Elvis At Sun or Joseph Pirzada's MRS apart from obviosly That's All Right (DRY) in sound quality. So just keep em coming Earnst and keep em coming Joe and i'll just keep telling my family "Yes it is different to what I already and yes it is essential I buy it now" hopefully for the next 40 years or so......

Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:00 pm

Great interview :smt038 :smt038 :smt023 :smt023

Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:41 pm

I thought it was an excellent interview!

Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:47 pm

Great interview,the mind boggles as to just what material these guys have stashed away.

Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:37 pm

John from Woodley wrote:It's fascinating, but difficult to have any input really as the information regarding what's in the collectors' hands is pretty vague and open to conjecture.

However, his comments about certain people is eye opening...and may come as a surprise to some on here.

Indeed.

As others have said EIN have provided MRS with a great platform to promote their product, but ludicrous comments referring to Kevan Budd's work as an "arguable mess" reveal an unpleasant attitude as well as showing that his views and claims are very much open to question.

EIN themselves must be aware of this and yet chose not to challenge or edit these comments, which directly contradict their own published thoughts on this matter. Here is a direct quote from Piers' review of the FTD title Loving You:
The real positive is that the audio restoration has been done by Kevan Budd...which guarantees a perfect sounding disc.

Funny how this wasn't thought worthy of mention isn't it?

Although EIN are an excellent site, by publishing these accusations without proper discussion they have simply served to collude with the author of these remarks in unfairly denigrating the work of others, which destroys credibility as well as goodwill and detracts from the merits of this particular interview.

Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:00 pm

Mike S wrote:
John from Woodley wrote:It's fascinating, but difficult to have any input really as the information regarding what's in the collectors' hands is pretty vague and open to conjecture.

However, his comments about certain people is eye opening...and may come as a surprise to some on here.

Indeed.

As others have said EIN have provided MRS with a great platform to promote their product, but ludicrous comments referring to Kevan Budd's work as an "arguable mess" reveal an unpleasant attitude as well as showing that his views and claims are very much open to question.

EIN themselves must be aware of this and yet chose not to challenge or edit these comments, which directly contradict their own published thoughts on this matter. Here is a direct quote from Piers' review of the FTD title Loving You:
The real positive is that the audio restoration has been done by Kevan Budd...which guarantees a perfect sounding disc.

Funny how this wasn't thought worthy of mention isn't it?

Although EIN are an excellent site, by publishing these accusations without proper discussion they have simply served to collude with the author of these remarks in unfairly denigrating the work of others, which destroys credibility as well as goodwill and detracts from the merits of this particular interview.


You bring up a couple of good points Mike!

Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:35 pm

Kris P wrote:
Accusations, there are more than one?

There are certainly more accusations relating to other individuals which may be equally speculative and false.

The one accusation re Budd used the word 'arguable', therefore provide an argument, rather than suggest EIN edit the interview.

To describe Kevan Budd's much heralded work as "a mess" arguable or not, is extreme, unkind and inappropriate. It also indicates an unpleasant personal agenda in which equally suspect conclusions may be drawn.

OK, let's put it to the test:

1) Does anyone here think this is even approaching a fair and accurate description of Kevan's work?
2) Has anyone noticed the vast difference in sound quality on these releases which would corroborate this assertion?

Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:54 pm

Kris P wrote:
The 'other individuals'........to whom do you refer?

I have no wish to bring others into this discussion; indeed it is not neccessary.

I have made the point that the interview is guilty of unfair bias and that in my opinion more thought should have gone into further questions to provide a fair and balanced view. Besides which, if you re-read the interview, you will discover for yourself.

Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:44 pm

Kris P wrote:
That's your opinion Mike and you are entitled to it, as am I, though it would appear you are swimming against a fast rising tide.

Do you think this makes my point less valid in some way?

I still look forward to others honestly answering those same questions that you have done. After all, if the sound quality is so superior then why isn't it immediately obvious? Also if Kevan Budd has been unfairly maligned, then what other views presented as facts are similarly biased.

As I have said previously, in my view this detracts from this interview which seems to mainly serve as a promotion for MRS products.

Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:20 pm

A few points that EIN should make here.
We are an ELVIS INFORMATION NETWORK.
We do not edit interviews and we also present interviews from every side of the Elvis spectrum .

Some interviews we have published - ie Billy Miller's, I personally think is a load of made-up baloney.
However some fans think otherwise and we stand by our hopefully unbiased approach.

Yes I do think ERNST does FANTASTIC work.
Fer' christ's sake I even gave 'Paradise Hawaiian Style' a great review!
(Stupid fluffy CD but a hoot if you are in the right mood - and boy have I always hated the film & original album! You can't get more unbiased than that)

Yes I believe that Kevan Budd's audio work is sensational as you know from my reviews, but that doesn't mean that EIN cannot present someone else's opinion - and heaven forbid I edit an interview!

EIN has previously run a plethora of Ernst interviews, as well as one's by Kevan Budd himself.
I think it only fair that J Pirzada is allowed to have his say for once.

Mike, you say that
"these accusations without proper discussion they have simply served to collude with the author of these remarks in unfairly denigrating the work of others, which destroys credibility as well as goodwill and detracts from the merits of this particular interview. I have made the point that the interview is guilty of unfair bias"


However whenever JP's earlier work was mentioned on this message board it was slammed down unfairly by various "well-known posters" and more often than not the thread would be deleted.

I think we all know that there has been more that enough cases of "unfair bias" against JP already on this very MB and that has obviously made him angry since he has never had a chance to answer them for himself.

Personally I am happy to argue with JP the merits of his audio vs Kevan Budd's work. And to be honest I am a "CD" person over an "Audio DVD" person most of the time.
However JP still has produced material that has been never released by BMG. That is pretty amazing no matter what the quality.

And then out of nowhere we get a near complete ELVIS fifties concert - I think we all know that JP can deliver the goods and as a "collector" is willing to spend a lot of money to share his rare Elvis finds with the fans.

Mike also said
As I have said previously, in my view this detracts from this interview which seems to mainly serve as a promotion for MRS products.

That also seems a little unfair as almost every interview EIN does is usually linked some Elvis product. ie the Kevan Budd interview to 'Loving You' or 'Million Dollar Quartet', Ken Sharps' to 'Writing For The King' or Ernst about his Sun project.

I could publish a long interview about Joseph Pirzada and his last summer holiday but it wouldn't make very interesting reading on an Elvis website.

Cheers
Piers

Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:34 pm

I say thanks for the interview. ALL sides of the issue should be presented.
I think Pirzhada was making a relative comparison between Kevin Budds work and what he can do with Audio dvd, or with what Kevin had available on a particular tape. Perhaps Pirzhada has access to a higher generation tape on a particular album that he is referring to.
I don't think he was making anything really earth shattering, since this is what I suspected anyway, by the quality of some of BMG's releases.
He just put it all together, so that it makes sense to everyone.

And Pirzhada made a good point in pointing out that he may have access to a better tapes on a particular area, but Ernst may have access to better tapes in that same area, so neither has the best or longest version.
If they could all work to gether for a piece of the pie we the fans would have it so much better.

I, for one, put historical purpose ahead of quality. I was happy to get "hearts of stone" in crappy quality than not at all.