All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:52 pm

Ton Bruins wrote:I had a good word with my friend.... :oops: :oops:

Did you tell him downloading FTDs is wrong unless he plans to also buy a copy of the actual release also?

Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:28 pm

ColinB wrote:
monkboughtlunch wrote:It will be interesting to hear if this summer 73 Stax studio compilation produces any alternates superior to the masters.

I've always felt that the Raised On Rock sessions find Elvis at an extreme career low point. A "over medicated" Elvis on downers facing a pending divorce and poorly singing a batch of generally substandard material.
It's hard to believe this is the same phenomenal singer heard on TTWII a mere three years earlier.

Yes.

And what an improvement just a few months later, in the December, when he returned to Stax & cut some fairly decent tracks like "Loving Arms" and "Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues".

Agreed.

The circa December 73 Stax sessions were quite good in comparison. Clearly the November hospitalization / detox improved his health somewhat. His version of Promised Land is a late-period Presley masterpiece. And even MOR material like Spanish Eyes gets a beautiful interpretation. I think the alternate take of Spanish Eyes on Essential Elvis 5 is wonderful, as it lacks the overwrought strings Felton Jarvis overdubbed on the master. "Good Time Charlie" could almost read as a confessional from Elvis given his lifestyle at that point. Perhaps the only disappointment is "I've Got A Feeling" which Elvis tackles in too high a key to completely pull off.

Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:43 am

Matthew wrote:
Ton Bruins wrote:I had a good word with my friend.... :oops: :oops:

Did you tell him downloading FTDs is wrong unless he plans to also buy a copy of the actual release also?

No. I didn't. His responsibility. It's 2007...what can you do ?....The whole world is downloading !

Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:41 am

monkboughtlunch
For you, I GOT A FEELING IN MY BODY is a "disappointment" and SPANISH EYES a highlight?!? Tough...

Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:59 pm

Ton Bruins wrote:The whole world is downloading !

Then I must be out of this world.

Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:02 pm

Rob wrote:

That makes two of us, Rob.

Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:51 pm

John from Woodley wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:
Rob wrote:

That makes two of us, Rob.

Exciting thread.

Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:55 pm

I've never downloaded music in my life, and I'm supposed to be from the generation that goes crazy for it!

Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:04 pm

Good boys. I am proud of you guys !

Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:49 pm

speaking about display orignal elvis lps and 45s with the orignal ps look better displayed than a cd. the best cds are the ftds. those covers are 10 times better than a jewel cased cd.

Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:34 pm

ritchie valens wrote:the best cds are the ftds. those covers are 10 times better than a jewel cased cd.

Debatable, the FTD 7" packaging is attractive to view but to handle is not at all hard wearing and the method of securing the CDs in place is not a good design IMO.

Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:50 pm

Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:01 pm

Matthew wrote:
ritchie valens wrote:the best cds are the ftds. those covers are 10 times better than a jewel cased cd.

Debatable, the FTD 7" packaging is attractive to view but to handle is not at all hard wearing and the method of securing the CDs in place is not a good design IMO.

I agree. First thing I do when I get a new FTD is make a jewel case for it.

Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:46 am

Matthew wrote:

Agreed. A nice standard size multiple fold-out slipcase would be prefered.

Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:45 am

John from Woodley wrote:...it's the ultimate con.
You pay to receive nothing.
It's information that sits on a hard drive which can be lost or become corrupt. If the hard drive fails, you lose your "information".
He finishes by saying that Record Collector will eventually be called Nothing Collector.

Brilliant!

I think most older people would agree with that.

Of course, to avoid losing the songs if your hard drive fails, you can make your own CD.

So why not buy one in the first place ?

Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:59 am

Today is the 6th of July.
Release date of the July FTDs are 3 days away.

It's quite fascinating that NO ONE seems to have got any inside information by now, regarding the tracklists!
This is almost beginning to look suspicious...

Where's all the insiders when you need 'em? :wink:

Br
Kristian

Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:09 am

...And before someone arrests me:

I know that we've got the I Sing All Kinds tracklist upfront.

I was referring to the Raised On Rock and Easy Come, Easy Go tracklists... :wink:

Br
Kristian

Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:10 am

I am not into downloading music either , but I find that people nowadays look at me at times like I am crazy for not doing it. People who know I am interested in both computers and music always ask me if I can find and download a certain song or songs for them or even movies when I say I can't they sort of shrug and say why not it's free!!!! I admit I make copies of my cd's I purchase for my own use in the car but as for downloading/filesharing I am not into it at all.

Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:20 am

The feeling of holding a LP or a CD in your hand can not be replaced by a downloaded product!

When I was a student, about 10 years ago, I downloaded a lot of music to listen to. It was a hype.

Afterwards, I've actually bought the real cd's of almost everything I ever downloaded!

It was nice to have access to the music, but I simply missed the booklets, the pictures, the feeling of having the complete product!

Young people who only have their music on ipod or downloaded to PC, I guess will never understand this... Cause they haven't experienced anything else...

Br
Kristian

Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:26 am

I use downloads (and paying via itunes etc) to get specific songs. Why buy the whole album if I just want one song?

TRACK LISTINGS

Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:26 am

Anybody have these FTD's yet or the track listings?!

Re: TRACK LISTINGS

Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:25 pm

TONY wrote:Anybody have these FTD's yet or the track listings?!

yeah,whats going on regarding these releases?Nobody seems to know a damn thing.....asked two of my dealers and they had no idea regarding release(only juli) date or tracklisting.
:evil:

Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:45 pm

maybe there are some surprises on the releases ?

SURPRISES

Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:54 pm

Unlikely I would think. If there WERE anything major on these, I'm sure they would have advertised the track listing to boost sales!?

Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:40 pm

All in all: clever move from Ernst. Never before were new FTD releases so much anticipated!! Is it me or is the tension rising with each day we have to wait longer on these releases?

Personally I feel there might be a surprise on one of the releases. 30th Anniversary this year, no surprises on the regular SONY/BMG release schedule, and releasing two very much requested titles on FTD, Nashville '71 and Raised On Rock, I get the feeling that these releases will be the ones for us to celebrate this special year with.

Just a feeling, not based on facts.