All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:23 am

Kingtiger0321 wrote:Not complaining but no tracklisting, no credit card info. Very simple. As a rule I am happy with the releases but to expect me to shell out $30 without a track listing is wrong.

Go ahead, Man! Shell it out. I did and I would never steer you wrong. Elvis outtakes from '73 will be enjoyable to hear.

Have a happy!

Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:56 am

Kylan wrote:
BIGREDG wrote:I am soooo fed up with not knowing what is on the knew FTDs, and how about the price - sh*t man what a rip off.

The covers are always crap, the mastering is simply the worst in the World, and the titles?? Don't get me started.

BMG should just stick to Greatest Hits Packages. Outtakes are for freaks, and Soundboards are for losers.

Nuff said I think!!!!

exhibit A for giving this site way too much credit.

Exhibit 113 for misunderstanding ironic statements.

Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:11 am

This forum or not, complainers or not. A consumer has the right to know the tracklist of new FTD. Ernst behaviour around this subject is childish.

Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:44 pm

Ton Bruins wrote:This forum or not, complainers or not. A consumer has the right to know the tracklist of new FTD. Ernst behaviour around this subject is childish.

I don't think Ernst is denying you that right. They're just not announcing it before it's released. You don't have to preorder - just buy it on or after the release date.

Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:00 pm

No, I don't agree. Let me make one thing clear. I have about 90% of the FTD releases and I always pre-order on the same adress. I am curious what the tracklist is and that is normal. When Katie Melua or Bruce Springsteen release a new CD the fans want to know what the tracklist is. Ernst stated that the fans will know what will be on for example "Raised On Rock". That's partial true, because we are of course curious about the "outtakes" especially, don't we ?

Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:45 pm

Kylan wrote:
BIGREDG wrote:I am soooo fed up with not knowing what is on the knew FTDs, and how about the price - sh*t man what a rip off.

The covers are always crap, the mastering is simply the worst in the World, and the titles?? Don't get me started.

BMG should just stick to Greatest Hits Packages. Outtakes are for freaks, and Soundboards are for losers.

Nuff said I think!!!!

:?: :?: :?: Very mystifying :?: :?: :?:

I gotta tell ya, I was kidding (or is it the kidding that prompted your bizarre comment?)

Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:51 pm

BIGREDG wrote:
Kylan wrote:

Nuff said I think!!!!

:?: :?: :?: Very mystifying :?: :?: :?:

I gotta tell ya, I was kidding (or is it the kidding that prompted your bizarre comment?)

No backtracking now BIGREDG.

We know your reputation on this board.

Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:12 pm

i get a feeling there might be some prev unreleased song on 1 of the ftds thats why it all such a secret i hope im right

jess w

Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:21 pm

Mike S wrote:We know your reputation on this board.

Exactly, impeccable.

All but the most casual visitor to our esteemed board know that I am the biggest collector of such material in the Universe :wink:

If Outtakes were for freaks and soundboards really were for losers, what would that make me??

(No answers required, please !!!!) :lol:

Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:51 pm

BIGREDG wrote:
Mike S wrote:We know your reputation on this board.

Exactly, impeccable.

All but the most casual visitor to our esteemed board know that I am the biggest collector of such material in the Universe :wink:

If Outtakes were for freaks and soundboards really were for losers, what would that make me??

(No answers required, please !!!!) :lol:

Graham 1 BIG freaky guy :wink: all kidding aside i think its almost garanteed that we all collect everything possible i know i do

jess

Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:18 pm

yes i think we did :wink:

jess

Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:41 am

Don't know about you all- but the slew of Elvis releases is greatly impacting my finances!

Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:06 pm

Elvis has been dead for almost thirty years. When he passed away, there were only a few unreleased songs in the can so the fans could not look forward too many new releases.

But, we do get several "new" releases every year - concerts, outtakes and upgraded old releases. I don't know of any other artist that has that many releases a year directed to hard core fans. We should be grateful instead of bitchin' about covers, tracklistings or whatever!

Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:40 pm

People love to moan, that's the way it is. If FTD somehow miraculously released LV OS 31.7.1969, betcha there would be complaints too. It is the nature of the beast. Valid criticism is ok, but bitching just for the sake of it..well to each his own. I'm happy to have every FTD they give us. Some releases are good, some excellent but all have their place.

As for ROR special edition -
I already pre-ordered mine and if no one else does it i hereby promise to post a track-list as soon as i get it. 8) So you have nothing to worry about.

Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:02 pm

The releasedate is July 1st! Where is the tracklist of the new FTD´s?

Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:11 pm

memphis1977 wrote:The releasedate is July 1st! Where is the tracklist of the new FTD´s?

If the other one's are anything to go by, it's usually printed on the back cover.

Hope this helps.

Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:15 pm

memphis1977 wrote:The releasedate is July 1st!

I know it never happened before, but maybe it's delayed?

Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:54 pm

From the moment those cds cost 20-40 euros (depending where you buy them), they become a product, and they can be object of criticism.

The FTD releases are sometimes completely perfect (elvis presley, something for everybody, is back and his hand in mine to name a few, but also nashville marathon, jungle room, etc).

Sometimes they're just fine. Like most of the soundboards. They're ok releases (it's midnight, summer festival, etc) that represent elvis in a particular tour or engagement. They're not like one night only or closing night feb 70 in terms of presentation and audio care.

But ftd needs to answer some questions so we can understand many "holes". Why there is budget to present Viva Las Vegas in almost perfect sound quality, remixing every master and the "original double features mixes" are complete forgotten but Kid Galahad uses those poor 90's mixes? when you hear Viva Las Vegas, each song, master or alternate, has the same volume level and the same mix. On Kid Galahad, Harum Scarum, and even the Today release, the audio picture is a mess. Why did we pay the same for all of them? Or maybe the benefits from the "2nd grade soundtracks" help paying Viva Las Vegas, etc??

And why isn't Kevan handling all releases? Maybe he hasn't enough time. So maybe it's "let's give the 56-62 Lp's, the good ones to the a-team, and let that tocano cutie handle those awful 70's albums and the soundtracks"

So the main thing is that FTD is a "miracle", a "dream come true", but there are questions, and I think we deserve some answers....

But other thing too is that the criticism sometimes reaches quotes of uncontrolled bitching....

Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:59 pm

Anyhow, who is gonna be the first to "break the news" on the 2 mystery tracklistings???

The race is on (or is it ???)

Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:52 pm

Mike S wrote:
memphis1977 wrote:The releasedate is July 1st! Where is the tracklist of the new FTD´s?

If the other one's are anything to go by, it's usually printed on the back cover.

Hope this helps.

The best and most accurate thing I've read on this subject 8)

Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:50 pm

First off, FTD's Viva Las Vegas is not a "perfect" package. Although some of us prefer not to harp on it, it's a shame that the amplitude is overloaded to the point of clipping (an example can be found here: http://www.elvisrecordings.com).

Because the Double Features set suffered from a truly appalling overuse of digital echo and injudiciously applied noise reduction and because there is no otherwise definitive, uniform set of Viva Las Vegas masters, something had to be done.

And fortunately, besides the problem of boosting to the point of clipping, a fine job was done.

All of this is a roundabout way, believe it or not, of praising other FTD releases that sometimes come in for too-harsh criticism.

Some of these soundtrack albums were pretty poorly made originally, but unfortunately, attempts to remake them have been prone to their own problems and have the additional shortcoming of being historically inaccurate.

Reimagining the material may have its place -- on a 30 #1 Hits package, for example -- but the FTD Classic Albums aren't the appropriate place for rewriting history.

As I've said (recently) a good scrubbing by Kevan or Sebastian is always welcome -- delightful, in fact -- but I'd much rather have a reasonable transfer of the masters than have someone monkeying around with their own ideas about how Elvis should have recorded things.
Last edited by elvissessions on Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:30 pm

I still prefer a consistent release without "jumps" in volume and mix. Hate to hear those dramatic (they are indeed dramatic) sound differences in Today, Harum, Frankie, etc. Maybe you'll like the original mix, but the original mastering was a mess. Why not a DSD transfer? Listen to Do the Clam on elvis movies, or Frankie and Johnny.

Look at elvis today. Why there is a substantial difference in volume and mastering between the sunset tracks, the new alternate, the original album, the platinum alternates (and i love you so), the 70's master's tracks (tiger man), the rough mix albm etc?

On something for everybody and is back (just to name 2), there are previously released tracks, but they didn't use neither the mixes featured collector's gold tracks, neither recent ftd efforts (fame and fortune, etc), not even the fabulous close up mixes. They took all the alternates from scratch, and there are not great differences between them and the masters in terms of audio.

Then the question is: would I have preferred elvis today masters transferred by Vic, remastered by kevan or Sebastian, and all the alternates remixed and mastered (or at least mastered) by kevan? YES.

Do I have the right to ask why today (and others) was managed like that and is back wasn't? Is that bitching? no. Is Elvis Today a s*it? of course it isn't, the concept was brilliant. The sound was not up to par. And the most important thing, I compare it to ftd releases, so I compare a ftd to FTD STANDARDS.

Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:17 pm

any news about the releases ? Still no rumours?

Iam just wondering about the fact, that "ROR" will be a double CD set. Why?

Well , the original LP was a a short running time LP. I visited the recording sessions section at Keith' wonderful page. We have the most takes. And: there are not much takes from the overall session. So what do we get on 2 CD's ??

Maybe the the backtrackings of "The wonder you perform" etc ?

Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:19 pm

Harty wrote:We have the most takes.

Where did you get this? I can't see that. There are numerous takes still to be released. And besides that: can't you just wait for a couple of days. My knowing is that the new CD's will be delivered at the end of the week....

Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:45 pm

Harty wrote:
any news about the releases ? Still no rumours?

Mention has been made that they are to be issued in July, but of course until they are made available this remains a rumour.

Iam just wondering about the fact, that "ROR" will be a double CD set. Why?

Well , the original LP was a a short running time LP. I visited the recording sessions section at Keith' wonderful page. We have the most takes. And: there are not much takes from the overall session. So what do we get on 2 CD's ??

It's rumoured that enough material exists to fill two discs like the other FTD SE's. Of course this is pure speculation as the second disc may in fact be a myth designed to fuel further rumours...we can never be sure.

Maybe the the backtrackings of "The wonder you perform" etc ?

For now this is simply another rumour.

Hope this helps.