All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:55 am

This cd is fantastic im no sound expert but there seems to be a bit of editing bettween some tracks but hey its great to have it in this sound compared to all the others release's we have had of this show so far .And who knows maybe ftd will give us this show 1 day untill then we have the outstanding madison label to thank for sharring with us gems like these just a shame there are people out there that are holding on to tapes that we will most likely never get to listen :( the hardest think about being an elvis fan is there is so much stuff we buy and collect but we will never have everything and i bet there are some fantastic surprise out there

JESS WADE

Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:20 am

Piers: No offence but there are no grounds for supposing that Madison's claims are incorrect in any way from my review. To save any ambiguity arising from your edited quotes, I reproduce them in full below:

The liner notes state that this recording has been taken from the original two reels and is therefore issued complete for the first time, with the best sound achievable—in short, this is the one we have been waiting for!

Seems pretty clear to me.

Whilst the sound quality is certainly improved, it is important to accept that there are limitations as to what can be achieved, as the original soundboard was allegedly in poor shape. However the sound is unquestionably clearer and more dynamic, with Elvis’ vocals prominently up-front, giving more depth to this recording when compared to previous releases of this material. Imperfections accepted; it still sounds sensational to me.

Furthermore, I stand by my claim that this is the release of this great show that we have been anticipating, for the following reasons:-

1) This is the first complete release of this show with the best sound achievable.
2) The artwork and booklet are far superior to anything FTD have yet produced.

I hope this helps. However if you have any firm evidence to counter Madison's claims, rather than just repeating an unsubstantiated rumour, I would be interested to hear it.

Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:37 am

I have to give my two cents here. The release is so good, I can't wait for these guys to (hopefully) upgrade the opening night from the same season.

Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:11 am

Hang on Mike, no need to get touchy like The Doc! I didn't repeat the "unsubstantiated rumour", I just tried to explain why I added the previous posting. I wasn't being deliberately malevolent.

As I said -
I'm not denigrating your review or the CD, it IS a cracker show - but you you never know what might turn up in the future.

Like a lot of Madison, Bilko, Southern Comfort etc releases it certainly raises the bar and shows what fans might hope for from FTD.
Of course FTD have to get authorisation for photos which other companies don't. That may be a poor excuse but we have discussed this issue before many times.

It's a great CD - I agree! Ok?

Cheers
Piers

Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:11 am

Yes, Mike is a little touchy...seems like he made this CD himself...

Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:07 pm

Ton Bruins wrote:Yes, Mike is a little touchy...seems like he made this CD himself...

If someone erroneously cites my review as the basis for a completely unwarranted and unsubstantiated rumour, then I shall have no hesitation in pointing out why this is false. That also applies to ill judged comments generally. Whilst I have no idea who 'made' this CD, I can assure you the review and conclusions drawn were all mine.

Some here seem to make a habit of skewed judgements and missing the point....please take care in future to ensure you are not one of them.

Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:25 am

If you enjoy Elvis in 1970(and who on this board doesn't?) you simply have to get this great import cd of a sensational show! I've had the "True Love Travels..." cd for years now, but to still have the complete show is great!

JEFF d
EP fan

Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:13 am

JEFF d wrote:If you enjoy Elvis in 1970(and who on this board doesn't?) you simply have to get this great import cd of a sensational show! I've had the "True Love Travels..." cd for years now, but to still have the complete show is great!

JEFF d
EP fan

You have nailed it, buddy.
This disc is the ultimate version of this hsow...no matter what.
this is my review.. :wink:

Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:42 am

This show sums up why I love Elvis. His voice is outstanding - still with the fire of 1969, but trying out different material in addition to the classic rock'n'roll that filled most of the previous season's concerts. He sings with a fabulous "earthy" quality in his voice, and a richness that no other singer can match.
Highlight of the show for me is the powerhouse rendition of Let It Be me, which goes straight into I Can't Stop Loving You with hardly a pause in between. Elvis, the band and backing singers are punching this out for all it's worth, and it is a stunning performance. This is an essential CD for any Elvis fan.

Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:05 pm

Ciscoking wrote:
this is my review..

Thanks for your excellent review Ciscoking. The cunningly contrived lack of detail with simple emphasis on your final conclusion (which I share), cleverly avoids any suggestion of hidden disappointment which others have gleaned from mine.

Now I know how it's done.

Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:16 pm

The CD is excellent. Madison continues to lead the pack and Mike's review is right on target. If you've been thinking of passing this up, you might want to think again. Definitely Elvis at his best!

Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:20 pm

Mike S wrote:Ciscoking wrote:
this is my review..

Thanks for your excellent review Ciscoking. The cunningly contrived lack of detail with simple emphasis on your final conclusion (which I share), cleverly avoids any suggestion of hidden disappointment which others have gleaned from mine.

Now I know how it's done.

Some shows dont need a review....this one belongs to them... :wink:
All is said in one word... "fantastic".

Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:31 pm

My expectation level was pretty low for this (that sometimes helps), but I was blown away again by Madison - no BS - this is a fantastic CD. 1970 is not my bag, but this is Elvis at the peak of his powers :)

Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:48 am

BIGREDG wrote:1970 is not my bag, but this is Elvis at the peak of his powers ...

1970 is not your bag?

So you prefer Elvis when he is at the valley of his powers?

It takes all kinds, I guess.

Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:27 am

I got my copy yesterday. Great CD!

I may be wrong, but I really think Elvis also plays his electric guitar on "It's Now Or Never" after "One Night".

Right when he starts with "When I first saw you", it sounds like he begins strumming his electric guitar.

Also - unfortunately I received a faulty booklet. For some reason, I have 2 to 4(?) pages missing. I really hope I can get a replacement. Did this happen to anybody else?

Rich

Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:54 am

No, my booklet is all there.

JEFF d
EP fan

Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:22 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
BIGREDG wrote:1970 is not my bag, but this is Elvis at the peak of his powers ...

1970 is not your bag?

So you prefer Elvis when he is at the valley of his powers?

It takes all kinds, I guess.

It's not all about power my friend :wink: