All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:34 pm

Mike, it can’t be "more complete". It’s either complete or it’s not.

Nice review, though. Keep it up.

Per

Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:35 pm

Mike S wrote:However, the main problem with your reply was the tone of your response which was also picked up by DJC.

Mike, my apologies if the tone I used was out of place. It was not my intention to offend anybody.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:38 pm

Thanks for your time in writing a brilliant review, I can't wait to get it!

Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:52 pm

thenexte wrote:
Mike S wrote:However, the main problem with your reply was the tone of your response which was also picked up by DJC.

Mike, my apologies if the tone I used was out of place.

Thanks thenexte.

No hard feelings, at least it prompted a few humorous responses.

Thekingisalive wrote:
Mike, it can’t be "more complete". It’s either complete or it’s not.

Really? I thought more complete was a relative term. It is certainly more complete than we have had before. Anyway, hopefully the facts are correct and this show is now finally complete.

Finally: thanks for your post Little Darlin. I appreciate your comment.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:55 pm

Little Darlin wrote:Thanks for your time in writing a brilliant review, I can't wait to get it!

Ditto, well done Mike!

Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:24 am

:lol: Excellent review mike and sounds like another import that i MUST purchase! keep up your great reviews! :wink:

Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:29 am

Thanks for the wonderful review...I just ordered this CD. This sounds like a real winner; plus it's the first time we get a complete show from the 2nd Vegas season.

The Polk Salad Annie FTD (from RCA multitrack tapes) wasn't quite complete and it captured Elvis on a night he had a cold/cough.

Highest praises to Madison for issuing a complete mono Bill Porter engineered soundboard for us all to cherish. This is a true blessing for all Elvis fans.

Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:53 am

Closing Night - Feb 1970 is already out!?!?

Now this is a release i'm very much looking forward to getting
rather than yet another (yawns!!!) 1969 rehash.

hopes they'll bring out one more from August 1970 soon!

Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:53 am

Robt wrote:hopes they'll bring out one more from August 1970 soon!

Yeah, BMG and FTD have been really stingy about that engagement.

Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:47 am

hey Doc,

I wonder if, for another August 1970 show, does it really have to be BMG or FTD release? Couldn't we expect an outfit like MADISON to remaster a package from
this era, be it a soundboard recording or perhaps more rehersals?

Of course, should BMG/Sony or FTD decide to review this era and produce
a multi-track recording (yes even with Dennis
Ferrante) on a future release then that'll be fine by me!

Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:16 pm

I am not excited about the sound.

Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:43 pm

Ton Bruins wrote:I am not excited about the sound.

Then be excited about:

1) The wonderful show
2) Elvis' enthusiasm and committed performance
3) The fact it is now complete
4) The magnificent booklet and artwork
5) The fact that it's a soundboard rather than an audience recording
6) the fact that it is even available for you to hear at all

Maybe it's just me, but I feel there's enough here to overide any possible disappointment regarding the sound quality, which in my opinion is quite good and certainly better than we have had before.

(Thanks to all who have commented on my review)

Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:49 pm

I agree with you about that Mike. Fine product overall. But my expectations about the sound were too high once again. But yes it's a great show.

Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:49 pm

I haven't heard the Madison CD yet, but expect to this week. I'm so glad to get this show that even if the sound is not what I expect, There'll be no complaints from me. We still get Elvis at his best on a very "listenable" well packaged CD.

Closing Night - February 1970 in it's entirety! There'll be no negative post from me and as mentioned, I've not even heard it yet.

BTW.....Great review as always, Mike. Makes me want this CD even more.

Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:03 pm

Rob wrote:
There'll be no negative post from me and as mentioned, I've not even heard it yet.

Do you actually have to hear it before complaining? This is certain to confuse many who post here.

Thanks for your comments. I guarantee you will be delighted with this excellent CD.

Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:09 pm

No that's right Rob, you will not be disappointed by this CD. Elvis is in high spirits. Funny to hear him try "Blueberry Hill" on the piano..he slides in "Lawdy Miss Clawdy" after he decides not to sing "Blueberry Hill". The sound has improved compared to what we had, but as I said my expectations were too high. But the sound is ok overall.

Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:14 pm

Mike S wrote:Rob wrote:
There'll be no negative post from me and as mentioned, I've not even heard it yet.

Do you actually have to hear it before complaining? This is certain to confuse many who post here.

Yeah, what the heck ?? Why wait to hear or even see something before bitchin' and bellyaching - lost opportunities man!!

Just playing this MOFO again now - simply fantastic - I usually favour 1974-5 but this is a great reminder of what made Elvis GREAT :D

Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:26 am

BIGREDG wrote:
Mike S wrote:Rob wrote:

Yeah, what the heck ?? Why wait to hear or even see something before bitchin' and bellyaching - lost opportunities man!!

I don't know what it is. I normally stay positive about releases such as this, and especially the FTD's. Could be because I remember the 1980's so well when there was nothing available to Elvis concert collectors. I'm just not one to bitch about shows that were never meant to be heard by the public to begin with.

I feel like such an outcast.

Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:33 am

Let´s hope Madison´s next project has something to do with January 26th. 1970 opening show

Sincerely MB280E

Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:13 am

yeah and following that one, a soundboard of an
August 1970 show would be nice!

I think just for their excellent cover alone on CLOSING NIGHT
-FEB 1970, Madison is the best!

Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:34 pm

Mike S wrote:I guarantee you will be delighted with this excellent CD.

Great news. Thanks for the review Mike.

If someone can post the back cover pic, and/or the booklet, that'd be great :wink:

Rich

Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:20 pm

Hi Gang,
I'm a little bit suspicous here.
Didn't Southern Comfort recently announce that THEY owned the original reel-2-reel soundboard of Elvis' Feb 70 'Closing Night'?
And that they would be releasing it later this year?

Mentioned on other message boards is the possibility that the sound changes/distortions on this version of Closing Night are apparently because it is an edit of three different cassette/or/tape sources and not the genuine reel-2-reel.

Maybe it is the best quality version that we are ever going to get - I can't say for sure.
- and I'm trying to get an verifiable answer here - but who knows....

Cheers
Piers

Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:40 pm

PiersEIN wrote:
Mentioned on other message boards is the possibility that the sound changes/distortions on this version of Closing Night are apparently because it is an edit of three different cassette/or/tape sources and not the genuine reel-2-reel.

Some people will say anything for attention you know. Similarly, some people will believe anything they read. Do you really think a respected label like Madison would knowingly propagate false claims for their product?

Yet that is what you appear to be suggesting in the absence of any firm evidence to the contrary.

Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:30 am

Do you really think a respected label like Madison would knowingly propagate false claims for their product?

Maybe not knowingly - but they have made errors in the past with their claims.

Whilst the sound quality is certainly improved, it is important to accept that there are limitations as to what can be achieved.. .

Mike - I didn't mean to be overly negative, in fact it was YOUR note above from the review that actually made me wonder whether the reel-2-reel comment was true!

Others have said similar . . .
But my expectations about the sound were too high once again.

Mike S. . . . with the best sound achievable—in short, this is the one we have been waiting for!

In the end, isn't an official FTD release of both the Opening & Closing Shows what we are really waiting for?

I'm not denigrating your review or the CD, it IS a cracker show - but you you never know what might turn up in the future.

Cheers
Piers

Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:51 am

Rob wrote:I feel like such an outcast.
You are not an outcast.