14. Reconsider Baby
15. Are You Lonesome Tonight
16. Yesterday / Hey Jude
17. Introductions
18. In The Ghetto
19. Suspicious Minds
20. What'd I Saw
21. Can't Help Falling In Love

Note that the only difference is the FTD disc has a track 4 called "Welcome." Everthing else is exactly the same, in exactly the same order, including the "Monologue" and the "Introductions." In the past the main label has called anything previously unreleased on BMG "unreleased" even if previously released on FTD.

Mystery Train

Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:07 pm

21 - 19 = 2

:idea: ah hah, what has happened to Reconsider Baby I wonder :?: :?: :?:

Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:14 pm

When trying to figure out at which date the show to be released took place, by comparison of the setlist to known setlists, I noticed how similar the setlists of this engagement actually were. For instance, the one to be released is identical with the one of August 16 MS.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:54 pm

Yeah, I missed "Reconsider Baby." Imagine the howls if the show is really not an "unreleased" show! And, you're right, Elvis did pretty much stick to the set list in '69. So, who knows. With the news blackout we may not know anytime soon.

Mystery Train

Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:59 pm

Yes..the shows were pretty alike....even the dialogues....

Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:44 am

Surely Ernst, as the gatekeeper of the Elvis treasure at SonyBMG, has some input into the decision of which 1969 recording to release on this set. If so, then surely he wouldn't bang one of FTD's '69 shows on the main label. It makes no difference to the casual listener which '69 show they get, so it might as well be one that Ernst's FTD buying audience haven't heard. We shall wait and see.

Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:04 am

Why bother to release yet another Vegas concert from
1969 at all? Surely the Elvis world has had it with this era ( i know i have)! i.e. virtually
same song sequence, same concert dialogue, etc. the Aug '69 shows are too predicatable and monotenous!

Also it won't surpass either ALL SHOOK UP or ELVIS AT THE INTERNATIONAL
releases. They're as good as it gets!

Let's hope that unless tapes of the actual opener 31 July would ever turn up,
that this period is left alone by E.J.

Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:52 am

Robt,

Why bother?

Because it is the best of Elvis live from 1969-1977.
I'll take every concert of the 1969 engagement over any other concert.

That said, I'm just a huge fan of the Elvis from 1968 / 1969. And I fully understand what you're saying about the same songs, monologue etc.
But he is so damn good in 1969.

Best regards,
Frank.

Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:17 pm

Robt wrote:Why bother to release yet another Vegas concert from
1969 at all? the Aug '69 shows are too predicatable and monotenous!
Let's hope that unless tapes of the actual opener 31 July would ever turn up, that this period is left alone by E.J.

Do you ever feel like the minority on certain issues?

Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:57 pm

Why bother to release anything at all? Everything after That's All Right, and Elvis was just breathing in and out some more -- right out of the same mouth, too. What's the point?

Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:37 pm

Frank R. wrote:Robt,

Why bother?

Because it is the best of Elvis live from 1969-1977.
I'll take every concert of the 1969 engagement over any other concert.

That said, I'm just a huge fan of the Elvis from 1968 / 1969. And I fully understand what you're saying about the same songs, monologue etc.
But he is so damn good in 1969.

Best regards,
Frank.

I agree, any time we get the greatest performer at his peak, I'll jump on that like ants on rice!

Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:20 pm

1969 at all? Surely the Elvis world has had it with this era ( i know i have)! i.e. virtually
same song sequence, same concert dialogue, etc. the Aug '69 shows are too predicatable and monotenous!

Also it won't surpass either ALL SHOOK UP or ELVIS AT THE INTERNATIONAL

Let's hope that unless tapes of the actual opener 31 July would ever turn up,

agree 100%....the tracklist mentioned above is boring,I would be a little more :D if there was a new version of My Babe though.
Besides I like live stuff from february 70/august 70 MUCH more.

Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:51 pm

One questionmark should do...

Sincerely MB280E

Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:30 pm

hey ElvisSessions, Rob, Frank & Joe,

Thanks for your replies. My friends i appreciate what your saying, I just feel there are other more
appropriate concerts and masters that should get prioritise, i.e '77 complete Rapid City (remember it's the 30th anniversary) as a ftd, 1961 Pearl Harbour ....provided there is an upgraded source.... possibly another Aug '70 Vegas,
rather than yet another 1969 Vegas show. But purely from a historical perspective,
if, let's say the july 31 '69 should ever surface as a soundboard recording
then this should be the last release from 1969 to be issued.

As i mentioned before, ALL SHOOK UP and ELVIS AT THE INTERNATIONAL are as good a representation of 1969 live as it gets. Do you think that this "newie"
that's coming out is going to top those two? I think not!

Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:50 pm

Robt wrote:hey ElvisSessions, Rob, Frank & Joe,

Thanks for your replies. My friends i appreciate what your saying, I just feel there are other more
appropriate concerts and masters that should get prioritise, i.e '77 complete Rapid City (remember it's the 30th anniversary) as a ftd, 1961 Pearl Harbour ....provided there is an upgraded source.... possibly another Aug '70 Vegas,
rather than yet another 1969 Vegas show. But purely from a historical perspective,
if, let's say the july 31 '69 should ever surface as a soundboard recording
then this should be the last release from 1969 to be issued.

As i mentioned before, ALL SHOOK UP and ELVIS AT THE INTERNATIONAL are as good a representation of 1969 live as it gets. Do you think that this "newie"
that's coming out is going to top those two? I think not!

Hi Robt

Hawaii 61 and Aug. 70 are indeed valid future releases. But I disagree that we can dismiss any 69 concerts in multitrack quality. Have you heard all 12 shows that RCA taped? If not, how can you say this show is not worth hearing? Yes, the setlists are the similar. But so were the setlists of jazz pianist Thelonious Monk. The joy is hearing differences across different performances. Similarly, Elvis doesn't always sing a song the way every time.

One appealing thing about getting another 69 concert on the main label is that we have another opportunity to get a show from this season in improved sound. As the longstanding Ferrante/Reidel cartel has achieved decidely mediocre sonic results, perhaps someone different at Sony mixed and mastered this one. We shall see.

Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:59 pm

my friend,

I understand what you say. But how can we be 100% certain that
this forthcoming release will in fact be an unreleased show?

Mystery Train has raised a very valid point by starting this
thread.

one last point: can you understand not every Presley fan is interested in buying every
concert that E.P gave, particulary if the content and quality remains
the same.

Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:05 pm

Robt wrote:my friend,

one last point: can you understand not every Presley fan is interested in buying every
concert that E.P gave, particulary if the content and quality remains
the same.

Yes I can understand. This is why I generally avoid the later concerts, as the performance quality (usually poor) remains the same.

Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:14 pm

Like most shows from most tours, the setlists were virtually the same except for a few exceptions. So with that logic, why release more than one show from any tour?

Robt wrote:Also it won't surpass either ALL SHOOK UP or ELVIS AT THE INTERNATIONAL

Have you heard all the other shows in the vaults? Wow, how did you get that access?

Robt wrote:Let's hope that unless tapes of the actual opener 31 July would ever turn up,

Um....Elvis in his prime. Maybe, just maybe, real fans will want as many shows as possible from one of the live highlights of his career.

Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:51 am

Robt wrote:Why bother to release yet another Vegas concert from 1969 at all? Surely the Elvis world has had it with this era ( i know i have)! i.e. virtually same song sequence, same concert dialogue, etc. the Aug '69 shows are too predicatable and monotenous!

Your perspective on Elvis in concert in 1969 -- and otherwise -- is seriously wack, dude.

Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:16 am

I welcome ANY new show from ANY year, but from the track-listing presented at the start of this thread to (me) it reads like the unreleased Las Vegas 22.8.69 Dinner Show! :roll:

Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:50 am

Look at it from another perspective, this is an opportunity to get what might as well be a FTD release for half price. Additionally, as another fellow Elvis collector pointed out, the resources allocated to prepare this show for release may be far greater that that available for your typical FTD release.

Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:32 pm

I think Rob misses the point here (apart from having strange view on what Elvis material to release). This is not an TFD release it is mass market. It is not aimed at us. As far as I am aware there is only the In Person release ad the 4 CD box of Vegas which includes 1969 live material. It is about time that BMG showed the mass market what Elvis was all about in this period. A 2 disk release should do well with the right marketing. Surely, this is better than the normal re-hashed compilation of long songs etc? Whenever, I have recorded some of the 69 material for friends/work colleagues they have always been very impressed. This will be a good release and I say bring it on.

I don't have a problem with some of the other suggestions but they are more appropriate for FTD.

cheers Jamie

Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:42 pm

What exactly is a TFD release? :smt017

Sincerely MB280E

Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:23 pm

hey Jamie,

I understand what you're saying, i better explain, ihad no real
desire to obtain VIVA LAS VEGAS to start with (mainly for the same reasons i raised previously). Yes, it may well be
a product that's directed to the general public buyer.

I still feel that something should be done to achieve better sound for Hawaii 1961 . For it's historical perspective, the last E.P concert until 1969.
For this reason alone, how can that be regarded as "strange" my friend?

OK i did not expect many of you to agree with my views. I am not a Purist
that desires to own every concert Elvis did or alternative studio take.
But by the same token i can appreciate that there are fans who would love
to own every single 1969 multi-tracked recording - all 12 of them.

But you need to take into consideration whether it is an appropriate and commercial proposition
for a BMG/FTD to be releasing basically the same live content
from 1969 (albeit different shows) every second year at the exclusion of other era's. It'd be different matter if it was the
Aug 1970 period as Elvis and the band performed a number of different
tracks.
But to my knowledge, only three complete shows from this period has been issued, ONE NIGHT IN VEGAS (FTD), THAT'S THE WAY IT IS (triple
CD package) both those in 2000.
Finally, there was one more Aug 1970 on THE LAS VEGAS YEARS multidisc package in 2001.

This VIVA LAS VEGAS package now makes it the second complete '69 show on the
parent BMG label. FTD has two others, ALL SHOOK UP and ELVIS AT THE
INTERNATIONAL but the playlists, concert dialogues remained virtually the same.

Midnightx, no i have not heard ALL of the 1969 multitracks, but i guess by now E.J
has. So then it beckons a question: why wasn't this "newie" classic show released years before?
Doncha think Ernst would've put it out instead of the shows that became
ALL SHOOK UP or ELVIS AT THE INTERNATIONAL? As stated before, they're as good as it gets for the '69 Las Vegas period.

Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:48 pm

Robt wrote:Midnightx, no i have not heard ALL of the 1969 multitracks, but i guess by now E.J
has. So then it beckons a question: why wasn't this "newie" classic show released years before?
Doncha think Ernst would've put it out instead of the shows that became
ALL SHOOK UP or ELVIS AT THE INTERNATIONAL? As stated before, they're as good as it gets for the '69 Las Vegas period.

The majority of live material in the BMG vaults was not issued until 2000. Ersnt has released 3 complete shows from 1969 and 3 complete shows from 1970. Not bad for a 7 year period. Plan on him releasing more. Why stop releasing prime live Elvis material?

And for the record, very few fans on this board would complain if all 6 TTWII multi-track shows were issued as well as the majority of the August 1969 Vegas recordings. There is a large fanbase for these recordings.

As for the general public. BMG's release strategy has not been the most sensible over the past few years. If you look at mainstream releases for other legacy artists, you will see that unreleased live recordings are frequently marketed as mainstream releases. Adding an unreleased live show to a new Elvis Presley release would not have detracted from the set and turned off buyers. Maybe Sony/BMG should pull the upcoming Simon & Garfunkel unreleased live album and issue a love songs compilation by the duo.... :roll: