All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:40 am

Little Darlin wrote:Rich,
You can get Closing night from Mahola over in the Trade Section...the link to his shop is on there. No sign of Huntsville yet though.

Its not the new Madison release though... its the version put out by "Graceland Records" last year.

JEFF d
EP fan

Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:03 am

Great release by Madison. Although the sound is not perfect, the feeling is superb!

This is Elvis at his very best ....

Give me more of this, Madison! What about a improved tape of the OPENING NIGHT 1972!? Or another great tour show from 1973/1974!?

Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:41 am

thenexte wrote:
Mike S wrote:
thenexte wrote:So is this really more complete than the previous boots and from a better audio source? Can someone can confirm this?

As I wrote previously:-

The upcoming Madison production is stated to be taken directly from the original two reels of tape that were used to record this show and therefore promises to be complete.

Previous issues of this show were incomplete because no-one seemed to have access to both reels. The most recent re-issue of this show last year was simply a cut and paste excercise which was consequently still incomplete. Now for the first time, you will get to hear the complete show, including the ending which has never been heard anywhere before!

The sound is also improved, making this the best sounding release of this great show.

I'm not interested in the marketing pitch, I would like to hear from people that have actually compared the Madison release with the previous boots. More specifically what are the tracks that are new to this release and have never been released before? Anybody?

You asked for confirmation regarding extra tracks and sound quality. If you had followed this thread carefully you would have noticed that I have completed a review of this release which will be added to this site shortly. From this, careful deduction would suggest that I had actually heard this CD and was not simply quoting a 'marketing pitch.' Therefore my view was an informed one, particularly with regard to sound quality.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:43 am

Can't wait to get this one!

Looking forward to your review, Mike.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:46 am

londonflash wrote:Can't wait to get this one!

Looking forward to your review, Mike.

Thanks Andrew. It's currently with site admin, so should be up soon.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:39 pm

Mike S wrote:If you had followed this thread carefully you would have noticed that I have completed a review of this release which will be added to this site shortly. From this, careful deduction would suggest that I had actually heard this CD and was not simply quoting a 'marketing pitch.' Therefore my view was an informed one, particularly with regard to sound quality.

You mean to tell me that you actually listen to these CD's before you review them? I just thought you were good! Anyone could do it that way, Mike.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:53 pm

Rob wrote:
Mike S wrote:If you had followed this thread carefully you would have noticed that I have completed a review of this release which will be added to this site shortly. From this, careful deduction would suggest that I had actually heard this CD and was not simply quoting a 'marketing pitch.' Therefore my view was an informed one, particularly with regard to sound quality.

You mean to tell me that you actually listen to these CD's before you review them? I just thought you were good! Anyone could do it that way, Mike.

Rob, between you and me I don't, but most people after careful consideration would assume I do.

I certainly don't credit thenexte with your superior insight. Hence my reply.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:58 pm

My review is now showing on this site under 'Latest Review.'

This one I dedicate to thenexte. If you care to read beyond the first two paragraphs, you may find the answer to some of your queries.

Here's hoping!
Last edited by Mike S on Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:00 pm

This is one heck of a beautiful release.

Here endeth the lesson.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:50 pm

Mike thanks for the review cant wait to get this cd :D

Jess wade

Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:42 pm

How complete are the versions of Blueberry Hill and Lawdy Miss Clawdy on this show?

Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:43 pm

Blueberry Hill is instumental intro only - Lawdy is a short version with E at the piano.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:58 pm

Or for a little more detail.

Taken from my earlier review:-

"....after exhorting the audience to ‘hang loose,’ he takes his place at the piano before attempting to accompany himself on an impromptu Blueberry Hill, with his backing singers clapping in accompaniment. However, after several false starts, he gives up and launches straight into a few verses of Lawdy Miss Clawdy instead, calling out “Watch this,” as he successfully manages the tremolo piano solo. After a further verse, he brings the song to a close to enthusiastic laughter and applause. “I used to be known as Fats Domino, before I lost weight,” he adds."

Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:27 pm

Hey Mike, you should do a full review for the board :lol:

Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:01 pm

BIGREDG wrote:Hey Mike, you should do a full review for the board :lol:

Normally I'm only interested in regurgitating the 'market pitch' because anything more than this simply requires too much effort. But for this release I was shamed into reconsidering my usual practice, entirely due to thenexte's brusque comments.

As a result, I stayed up late into the night and wrote not one but two full reviews for this show. The first is currently showing under 'Latest Review' and the other was relegated to the 'Import List,' under the same title.

Please be assured, I have learnt my lesson and will never 'shortchange' you here again.

Jess Wade: I've just noticed I've overlooked your kind reply, thank you and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:23 pm

Mike S wrote:
thenexte wrote:
Mike S wrote:
thenexte wrote:So is this really more complete than the previous boots and from a better audio source? Can someone can confirm this?

As I wrote previously:-

The upcoming Madison production is stated to be taken directly from the original two reels of tape that were used to record this show and therefore promises to be complete.

Previous issues of this show were incomplete because no-one seemed to have access to both reels. The most recent re-issue of this show last year was simply a cut and paste excercise which was consequently still incomplete. Now for the first time, you will get to hear the complete show, including the ending which has never been heard anywhere before!

The sound is also improved, making this the best sounding release of this great show.

I'm not interested in the marketing pitch, I would like to hear from people that have actually compared the Madison release with the previous boots. More specifically what are the tracks that are new to this release and have never been released before? Anybody?

You asked for confirmation regarding extra tracks and sound quality. If you had followed this thread carefully you would have noticed that I have completed a review of this release which will be added to this site shortly. From this, careful deduction would suggest that I had actually heard this CD and was not simply quoting a 'marketing pitch.' Therefore my view was an informed one, particularly with regard to sound quality.

Mike, no offense, but certainly there is a difference in saying:

a) "The upcoming Madison production is stated to be taken directly from the original two reels of tape that were used to record this show and therefore promises to be complete."

and

b) "I have verified that the just released Madison production is taken directly from the original two reels of tape that were used to record this show and therefore is complete."

The former one is a forward looking statement, which is a statement that cannot sustain itself as merely a historical fact. The latter one is a statement that verifies that fact.

Definitely your review (which was not available at the time I posted this) makes this more clear, so thanks for clarifying that.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:28 pm

thenexte wrote:Mike, no offense, but certainly there is a difference in saying:

a) "The upcoming Madison production is stated to be taken directly from the original two reels of tape that were used to record this show and therefore promises to be complete."

and

b) "I have verified that the just released Madison production is taken directly from the original two reels of tape that were used to record this show and therefore is complete."

The former one is a forward looking statement, which is a statement that cannot sustain itself as merely a historical fact. The latter one is a statement that verifies that fact. Definitely your review (which was not available at the time I posted this) makes this more clear, so thanks for clarifying that.

Maybe it's just me, but even after listening to the CD and investigating everything that comes with it, I couldn't honestly write version b). How can a mere listener verify what generation or type of tape the CD is taken from? How can a mere listener be sure that nothing is left or edited out (in a clever manner so that one couldn't tell the cuts)?
Last edited by kuenzer on Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:31 pm

kuenzer wrote: How can a mere listener be sure that nothing is cleverly edited out?

Or indeed cleverly edited in??

Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:38 pm

BIGREDG wrote:
kuenzer wrote: How can a mere listener be sure that nothing is cleverly edited out?

Or indeed cleverly edited in??

... speaking of editing in ... is there an English expression for the parenthesis I edited in? ... German: "Mängel clever überspielen"

Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:44 pm

Clever after the fact ?? :lol:

Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:57 pm

BIGREDG wrote:Clever after the fact ?? :lol:

So a Monday morning quaterback is clever after the fact?

After a little research I found now: to paper/smooth over the cracks.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:01 pm

kuenzer wrote:
BIGREDG wrote:Clever after the fact ?? :lol:

So a Monday morning quaterback is clever after the fact?

Most definitely!!!!

kuenzer wrote: After a little research I found now: to paper/smooth over the cracks.

Ah, another quaint English turn of phrase, but is this really what you meant?

Learning English with FECC

Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:06 pm

BIGREDG wrote:
kuenzer wrote: After a little research I found now: to paper/smooth over the cracks.[/size]

Ah, another quaint English turn of phrase, but is this really what you meant?

They didn't tell me how old-fashioned this expression is!

Well, in a complete sentence: "How can a mere listener be sure that they didn't leave anything out, cleverly smoothing over the cracks?" Makes sense, I hope.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:10 pm

Makes perfect sense actually - the art of good editing is indeed smoothing over the cracks !!

What struck me as a tiny bit strange is when Elvis says "take it home" immediately before Suspicious Minds starts - I usually associate the "Take It Home" command with the start of the closing number????? Maybe that was in latter years.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:28 pm

Thenexte wrote:
Mike, no offense, but certainly there is a difference in saying:

and

The former one is a forward looking statement, which is a statement that cannot sustain itself as merely a historical fact. The latter one is a statement that verifies that fact.

Definitely your review (which was not available at the time I posted this) makes this more clear, so thanks for clarifying that.

Whatever you are trying to prove/excuse with the comments above is rather tenuous. Basically you asked two questions:-

1) Is it more complete?
2) Is it from a better audio source?

Regarding the first question, I replied with the info provided to me, with additional comments relating to previous issues of material from this show. This made it obvious that it was now more complete. On the second, I confirmed that the sound was improved compared to what had been issued previously.

However, the main problem with your reply was the tone of your response which was also picked up by DJC.

I am glad you found the review useful.