All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Closing Night - February 1970

Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:41 am

Per the info on ElvisNews.com, this CD has been released already!

http://www.elvisnews.com/Presentation/F ... &item=9303

The news just broke on Friday (15th) - so this is a surprise.

I'm glad they're including the "Wonder Of You" rehearsal tracks, as I wasn't able to get the Legendary Performer CD that they first appeared on.

Hope to read some reviews of this whenever someone gets their copy.

Rich

Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:03 am

Rich,
You can get Closing night from Mahola over in the Trade Section...the link to his shop is on there. No sign of Huntsville yet though.

Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:04 am

Rich_TCB wrote:
Hope to read some reviews of this whenever someone gets their copy.

Well funnily enough I've got a spare evening coming up and was just wondering......

Oh never mind Rich, I'll see what I can do.

Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:13 am

Little Darlin wrote:Rich,
You can get Closing night from Mahola over in the Trade Section...the link to his shop is on there. No sign of Huntsville yet though.


I pre-ordered this right away when the news broke. But thanks for the heads up :D

Mike S wrote:Rich_TCB wrote:
Hope to read some reviews of this whenever someone gets their copy.

Well funnily enough I've got a spare evening coming up and was just wondering......

Oh never mind Rich, I'll see what I can do.


LOL

I always enjoy reading your reviews, Mike. And I'm especially looking forward to your thoughts on this one.

Rich

Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:41 am

Mike S wrote:Well funnily enough I've got a spare evening coming up ... I'll see what I can do.

I can't wait to read your review on this one -- here's hoping it's as good as One Night Only !

Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:39 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike S wrote:Well funnily enough I've got a spare evening coming up ... I'll see what I can do.

I can't wait to read your review on this one -- here's hoping it's as good as One Night Only !

What...the review or the release? (Just kidding)

I'll let you know shortly.

Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:58 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike S wrote:Well funnily enough I've got a spare evening coming up ... I'll see what I can do.

I can't wait to read your review on this one -- here's hoping it's as good as One Night Only !


I hope it is the same quality.

Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:58 pm

I have it since Friday last week - seems that my dealer has great connections :D

I've said it on another thread - at first I was a little disappointed about the used pictures for the artwork - mostly because they're all well known, but now it works for me. It has nice linernotes - so there's nothing wrong with the artwork - thumbs up as always!

What blows my mind is the tremendous soundquality. It's hard to believe that it is only a soundboard. Here and there's some hiss noticable, but all in all it's frickin' great! In my opinion the sound is much, much better than on "One night only!" - so go and get it!

Joern
Last edited by Joern on Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:06 pm

Where can this cd be purchased?

Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:10 pm

Can someone post a link where I can order it? Thanks

Greg

Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:25 pm

For Rich_TCB, DJC and anyone else interested, my review is complete and should be available shortly.

Joern wrote:
What blows my mind is the tremendous soundquality. It's hard to believe that it is only a soundboard. Here and there's some hiss noticable, but all in all it's frickin' great! In my opinion the sound is much, much better than on "One night only!" - so go and get it!

Now obviously opinions will vary, but sadly anyone purchasing this release with the expectations promised above is likely to be disappointed.

In my view the sound is not as good for a variety of reasons; the main drawback being the poor mix. This has Elvis' vocals and backing singers up front, with all the instruments including the drums much further back, with a consequent lack of clarity. As a result, the sound is a little 'thin,' with the backing vocals sounding harsh on occasion. However, none of this should put you off, as the sound is perfectly acceptable and is without doubt the best that can be acheived for this show.

And what a fabulous show it is! Elvis' vocals are superb and his enthusiasm is obvious. In short, he's on top form which is why this is an essential release. Purchase it for these reasons, together with the wonderful artwork and I guarantee you won't be disappointed!

Further details will be included in my review.

Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:04 pm

Got my copy today. Since I had never heard this show before, not even a single song from it, I just couldn't WAIT to put this thing into my CD player!

Bearing in mind that it is a show from 1970, the sound quality is pretty good, but not as good as "One Night Only!" in my opinion. Sorry Joern! :wink:

The artwork? It's simply beautiful. If you have "Let It Roll" and "One Night Only!", you'll know what to expect. :smt119

This version of "One Night" is probably the best I have ever heard, including the '50s master and the '68 comeback versions. Too bad it wasn't pro recorded. Elvis delivers some incredibly raunchy lines, he's really into the song, and The TCB Band sure knew how to play... The next songs, "It's Now Or Never" and "Suspicious Minds", are brilliant too -- this is easily the best part of the show. In fact, the introductions that follow are pretty good too! Elvis admits that he "really loves" The Colonel (well who doesn't?), and then says they will be "playing with the cattle or something, I don't know what we'll be doing" in Houston some days later. Hehehe...

Alright, that's it. I haven't listened to the bonus songs yet. If my girl hears one more Elvis song tonight, especially at this volume, she WILL throw me out! So we'll watch a movie instead...

Keith Richards, Jr.
Last edited by Keith Richards, Jr. on Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:57 pm

Please, how can i purchase this...

Greg

Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:14 am

So is this really more complete than the previous boots and from a better audio source? Can someone can confirm this?

Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:26 am

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:This version of "One Night" is probably the best I have ever heard, including the '50s master and the '68 comeback versions. Too bad it wasn't pro recorded.

Isn't a SB considered a "pro recording"?

Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:31 am

thenexte wrote:So is this really more complete than the previous boots and from a better audio source? Can someone can confirm this?

As I wrote previously:-

The upcoming Madison production is stated to be taken directly from the original two reels of tape that were used to record this show and therefore promises to be complete.

Previous issues of this show were incomplete because no-one seemed to have access to both reels. The most recent re-issue of this show last year was simply a cut and paste excercise which was consequently still incomplete. Now for the first time, you will get to hear the complete show, including the ending which has never been heard anywhere before!

The sound is also improved, making this the best sounding release of this great show.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:32 am

Mike S wrote:What...the review or the release? (Just kidding) ...

Both, man!

Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:38 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:This version of "One Night" is probably the best I have ever heard, including the '50s master and the '68 comeback versions. Too bad it wasn't pro recorded.

Isn't a SB considered a "pro recording"?

I think by "pro-recording," Keith meant a multi- track recording. That's how I read it.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:20 am

Mike S wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:This version of "One Night" is probably the best I have ever heard, including the '50s master and the '68 comeback versions. Too bad it wasn't pro recorded.

Isn't a SB considered a "pro recording"?

I think by "pro-recording," Keith meant a multi- track recording. That's how I read it.


Yes, that's exactly what I meant!

Just listened to "Don't Cry Daddy" again (using headphones this time...), and this is also a highlight, just like it is on the "Polk Salad Annie" FTD. Ladies and gentlemen... Charlie Hodge!! His raw, soulful harmony vocal sounds so DAMN good! Charlie Hodge deserves more credit. Just listen to "I Will Be Home Again" and "Beyond The Reed", Charlie really shines on those songs... and I'm sure Elvis thought so too. I seem to recall he said some very nice things about Mr. Hodge on another Closing Night -- in Vegas, September '73. (Yes I know he was 100% stoned that night but still...)

Keith Richards, Jr.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:39 am

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote: Ladies and gentlemen... Charlie Hodge!! His raw, soulful harmony vocal sounds so DAMN good! Charlie Hodge deserves more credit.


I agree more or less Keith.
Too bad Charlie had an off night in Omaha'77 too;)

The best harmony vocal for Elvis was.... Elvis.
I remember some 60's tunes featuring Elvis and his own harmony: great!

Back to topic, I expect my copy soon, It's gonna be the first time I hear this show.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:22 am

Mike S wrote:
thenexte wrote:So is this really more complete than the previous boots and from a better audio source? Can someone can confirm this?

As I wrote previously:-

The upcoming Madison production is stated to be taken directly from the original two reels of tape that were used to record this show and therefore promises to be complete.

Previous issues of this show were incomplete because no-one seemed to have access to both reels. The most recent re-issue of this show last year was simply a cut and paste excercise which was consequently still incomplete. Now for the first time, you will get to hear the complete show, including the ending which has never been heard anywhere before!

The sound is also improved, making this the best sounding release of this great show.


I'm not interested in the marketing pitch, I would like to hear from people that have actually compared the Madison release with the previous boots. More specifically what are the tracks that are new to this release and have never been released before? Anybody?

Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:52 am

I've had True Love Travels On A Gravel Road import cd for years... I've always enjoyed the part of the cd that came from this show, so I'm looking forward to hearing this for myself and for the complete show!!

JEFF d
EP fan

Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:52 am

thenexte wrote:I'm not interested in the marketing pitch ... More specifically what are the tracks that are new to this release and have never been released before?

Be nice to Mike -- he's one of the good ones on this forum.

According to the site link above, these tracks are unissued previously:

13 - Instrumental Intermezzo
14 - Introduction of vocalists, band, orchestra
19 - Suspicious Minds
20 - Introduction of crew, management
21 - Can't Help Falling In Love / announcement

Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:55 am

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Charlie Hodge ... His raw, soulful harmony vocal sounds so DAMN good! ... Just listen to ... "Beyond The Reed" ...

Whoa!

Well, there were always "those" rumours about ol' Charlie ...

Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:19 am

Mike S wrote:
Now for the first time, you will get to hear the complete show, including the ending which has never been heard anywhere before!



Not quite true..there`s a complete AR (CDR) (60:23) floating around for some time now..