2 New Albums from Madison

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Little Darlin
Registered for: 17 years
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

2 New Albums from Madison

Post by Little Darlin »

Found these on the Front Page....Look at the Huntsville Cover...I need that photo!!

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

kuenzer

Post by kuenzer »

import news wrote:Closing Night - February 1970
The next release from Madison label will be "Closing Night - February 1970". For the first time ever, this show will be available from start to finish, with the best-ever audio source, direct, reel-to-reel transfers to DAT. The sound quality is excellent, given the limitations of early '70s soundboard recordings, and definitely superior to all previous, incomplete releases of this concert.

The 16-page booklet contains relevant notes, while the cover art of "Closing Night - February 1970" is a beautiful homage to Presley's 1970 RCA LP "On Stage - February 1970". Several bonus tracks are included, though previously released, as they are the perfect compliment to this project.

If you enjoyed "One Night Only!" there is no doubt you will love "Closing Night - February 1970". This is Elvis at his BEST as he ROCKS the house!

Tracks :
01 - All Shook Up 1:59 ; 02 - I Got A Woman 2:20 ; 03 - Long Tall Sally 2:43 ; 04 - Don't Cry Daddy 3:58 ; 05 - Hound Dog 1:57 ; 06 - Love Me Tender 2:35 ; 07 - Kentucky Rain 3:12 ; 08 - Let It Be Me 3:12 ; 09 - I Can't Stop Loving You 2:24 ; 10 - C.C. Rider 2:43 ; 11 - Sweet Caroline 2:23 ; 12 - Polk Salad Annie 4:30 ; 13 - Instrumental Intermezzo 2:01 ; 14 - Introduction of vocalists, band, orchestra 2:30 ; 15 - Blueberry Hill / Lawdy Miss Clawdy (Elvis plays piano) 2:08 ; 16 - Heartbreak Hotel 2:21 ; 17 - One Night (Elvis plays electric guitar) 2:39 ; 18 - It's Now Or Never 2:17 ; 19 - Suspicious Minds 4:27 ; 20 - Introduction of crew, management 1:33 ; 21 - Can't Help Falling In Love / announcement 2:06

1970 Bonus Tracks:
22 - Walk A Mile In My Shoes (acetate, February 18 ) 2:52 ; 23 - The Wonder Of You (rehearsal, February 18, take 2 and 3 - incomplete) 3:52 ; 24 - The Wonder Of You (rehearsal, February 18, take 4 ) 2:38 ; 25 - Press Conference (Houston, February 27) 8:50

Tracks 13-14, 19-21 are previously unreleased!

Total Time = 74:25
import news also wrote:A Wild Weekend In Huntsville ! - Volume One
The surprise '' Closing Night- February 1970 '' outing from Madison was originally coming in-between the two previously announced Huntsville 1975 shows due to a source problem with the May 31, 1975 AS. It will be fixed and is next in line. The cover art of "A Wild Weekend in Huntsville! - Volume 1" is included here, for your enjoyment.

BigredG
Registered for: 19 years 7 months
Location: Coming in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon, whilst sitting on a cornflake

Post by BigredG »

Curious that Madison have rush released Closing Night after Southern Comfort announced they were gonna do a Deluxe 2 CD set (High Voltage) featuring this + Opening Night.

Hmmmmmmm!!

omnipresence

Post by omnipresence »

I'll probably get them both but Im more exchted about closing night.

BigredG
Registered for: 19 years 7 months
Location: Coming in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon, whilst sitting on a cornflake

Post by BigredG »

It will be interesting to hear how much improved the sound is on Closing Night. My guess is not much, but it is good that the show will be 100% complete at last.

Wonder when the Madison Huntsville CD will "hit the shops".

Rob

Post by Rob »

You definitely have to give them credit for a couple of sharp looking covers.

Mike DK
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Mike DK »

Since they are coming from Madison I can't wait to get the both of them :D

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Rob wrote:You definitely have to give them credit for a couple of sharp looking covers.
That Huntsville cover -- new to my eyes -- may well feature the best live shot from the summer 1975 tour ever. Wow!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Vince

Post by Vince »

Hi,

it may be a stupid question, but do we know if Madison used the longest version available ? On the "Closing Night" version done by Graceland, it seemed that they included part of the "opening vamp" before "That's All Shook Up".
Will be the Southern Comfort version more complete ?
For one time we are debating like in the Led Zeppelin collectors' websites, with the same gig been released again and again by different labels in a relative short period of time, but EACH with a little thing that the others don't have...

See You

Vince

Johanesson
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Johanesson »

it may be a stupid question, but do we know if Madison used the longest version available ?
We have to wait a little to know this and the potential differences in sound quality.
These covers are not too professional IMO,but the content is more important of course. High Voltage will be a better buy probably. It's cheaper to buy a double CD than 2 single CD's.
War in the bootleg world again... It's sad because both Madison and Southern Comfort are great labels.

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by frus75 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rob wrote:You definitely have to give them credit for a couple of sharp looking covers.
That Huntsville cover -- new to my eyes -- may well feature the best live shot from the summer 1975 tour ever. Wow!
amazing shot indeed!

Iván

La voz del Rey

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

Last edited by Mike S on Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MB280E
On Suspension Until Further Notice...

Post by MB280E »

Vince wrote:Hi,

it may be a stupid question, but do we know if Madison used the longest version available ? On the "Closing Night" version done by Graceland, it seemed that they included part of the "opening vamp" before "That's All Shook Up". Vince
Not a stupid question at all, but I´m afraid I wouldn´t know anything about that song you refer to... :lol:

Sincerely MB280E

"Folks, it´s been 9 years since I performed before a live audience. I´ve been busy making an 8mm film that hasn´t been released yet about a squirrel who gets lost in the wintertime and can´t find his nuts."

´98 W140 S320 (my new baby)
´90 W124 230E (sold...)
´81 W123 280E (R.I.P.)

Topic author
Little Darlin

Post by Little Darlin »

Mike S wrote:
Vince wrote:Hi,

it may be a stupid question, but do we know if Madison used the longest version available ? On the "Closing Night" version done by Graceland, it seemed that they included part of the "opening vamp" before "That's All Shook Up".
Will be the Southern Comfort version more complete ?
To answer your question, the upcoming Madison production is stated to be taken directly from the original two reels of tape that were used to record this show and therefore promises to be complete.

Previous issues of this show were incomplete because no-one seemed to have access to both reels. The most recent re-issue of this show last year was simply a cut and paste excercise which was consequently still incomplete. Now for the first time, you will get to hear the complete show, including the ending which has never been heard anywhere before!

This release will be the subject of my next review. However, anyone requiring a detailed account and thus a sneak pre-view of this release (for those who are unfamiliar with this show), please see my previous review of the re-issue last year. You'll find it under the same title (i.e. Closing Night), in the Import list on this site.

I would like to add that my forthcoming review will not repeat my earlier resume', but will aim instead to focus on the different inclusions featured in this new Madison release. Furthermore, it seems to me that the fact that this fabulous show is now complete and with the best sound possible, makes this an essential purchase.

Finally Mike DK wrote:
Since they are coming from Madison I can't wait to get the both of them
Great comment Mike. Madison offer unrivalled quality which they prove time after time on their terrific productions.

If it's possible could you tell us who took the Photo on the front cover...if it's in the leaflet of course.

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

Last edited by Mike S on Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vince

Post by Vince »

Hi,

many thanks to all for your interesting responses ^_^

I noticed that running time seemed a bit different between "Closing Night" (Graceland) and "Closing Night" (Madison).
My question was that the first track (All Shook Up) on Graceland release was 20 seconds longer than the future Madison release.
I can understand that the speed of each source (the multiple ones used by Graceland) and the one (of master) by Madison may explain that, but it will be interesting to check the three releases.
Hi,

many thanks to all about my questions ^_^

I noticed that running time seemed a bit different in globality between "Closing Night" (Graceland) and "Closing Night" (Madison).
My question was that the first track (All Shook Up) on Graceland release was 20 seconds longer than the future Madison release.
I can understand that the speed of each source (the multiple ones used by Graceland) and the one (of master) by Madison may explain that, but it will be interesting to check the three releases.
In the past and for various bands i had the experience that even big upgrades can be a bit more shorter than older ones (all taken from a same master).

See You

Vince

monkboughtlunch
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by monkboughtlunch »

Where can the Madison "Closing Night" CD be purchased?

Topic author
Little Darlin

Post by Little Darlin »

Mike S wrote:Little Darlin wrote:
If it's possible could you tell us who took the Photo on the front cover...if it's in the leaflet of course.
OK...if I can find out, I'll let you know.

Super. Thanks.

Joern

Post by Joern »

The sound is improved a lot and clearly the best sounding live-import CD from 1970. It really sounds fantastic!! The concert itself should be well-known and shows Elvis at his peak.

The artwork is pretty fine - nothing wrong here, but I think they've done better on other releases - as they used the same pictures most people should know from February '70 and added some shots from Houston, also from the press-conference '69 and some '69 candids - also all well-known.

In the end it's the content which counts ... and with mostly all Madison-CDs: it's a must-have.

Joern

Rich_TCB

Post by Rich_TCB »

FANTASTIC news.

I'm very excited about "Closing Night - February 1970". Between this and FTD, we've got some great stuff to look forward to.

Two BIG thumbs up

:smt023 :smt023

Rich

ImageImageImage

MB280E

Post by MB280E »

It will be nice to finally get this legendary show in better quality and on one disc. Besides that all I can see is just another lost opportunity for FTD...

Sincerely MB280E

"Folks, it´s been 9 years since I performed before a live audience. I´ve been busy making an 8mm film that hasn´t been released yet about a squirrel who gets lost in the wintertime and can´t find his nuts."

´98 W140 S320 (my new baby)
´90 W124 230E (sold...)
´81 W123 280E (R.I.P.)

Kenneth
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by Kenneth »

MB280E wrote:It will be nice to finally get this legendary show in better quality and on one disc. Besides that all I can see is just another lost opportunity for FTD...

Sincerely MB280E
Yes, agree. This release of the closing Feb show should be the very ending of releaseing that show. BUT, maybe Ernst should come up with a completely unreleased soundboard from Feb 70. I take that for certain that he have more than two SB from his second Vegas-gig. Write to him and remind him :lol:

Kenneth

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Kenneth wrote:BUT, maybe Ernst should come up with a completely unreleased soundboard from Feb 70.
Not at this time -- the engagement has been covered by recent, superb FTD release Polk Salad Annie. Their professed scheme of documenting every tour and Vegas/Tahoe stand means other dates have a higher priority.

The February Vegas CS is hardly a "missed opportunity" for FTD. Certainly, no label, legitimate or otherwise, has yet to offer us a good record of something from the September or November 1970 tours, or even one of those astounding Astrodome shows in February and March.

Food for thought.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
Little Darlin

Post by Little Darlin »

Here's hoping.

Kenneth
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by Kenneth »

The February Vegas CS is hardly a "missed opportunity" for FTD.
Not agree. Ernst should have taken notice long time ago that he had two of the best shows ever in his archives and released them on a dbl cd together with the 26 jan OS on FTD. By such a release he would stopped the pirates releasing bits and pieces of the shows and saved us a lot of money. The PSA release should not have been released on FTD, but on a regulary BMG-boxset instead. Hifidelity sound and quality liveperformances which shows our man at his best are not that many of in Feb 70 and should not being released on FTD, but on mainstream BMG releases.

Sincerely

Kenneth