All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:04 am

OK Stefan, I'm back now so I'll try to answer your queries.

Why is it that you need people to ask for your reviews ?

Well plainly I don't, but on this occasion I thought it would be interesting to gauge the likely interest amongst members here....and indeed it proved very illuminating.

Reviews shouldn't be written 'by popular demand'

Who says and why not? It stands to reason that there is no point in writing an article if no-one is interested, except I suppose for the self-glorification of seeing your own thoughts and ideas in print....which isn't my bag I'm glad to say.

It's not the 1st time I notice this kind of behavior from you, posts in which you 'complain' about a lack of feedback or apreciation for your reviews.

Obviously I'm interested in any feedback, but have certainly never "complained" about this for any of my reviews, so you are completely mistaken here. I do however always make a point of acknowledging any appreciation expressed by others and equally importantly thanking others for their own efforts. I really don't have a hang up on this point, but it appears you do.

Finally Deadringer wrote:
Mike, please write review for me, too. I am still undecided Hamlet... to buy this or not to buy... Is the sound good? And design, is it worth to my hard earned 25 EURO?

Thanks Deadringer. In a nutshell, this is a great improvement on the previous issue of this show. More details later....

Also thanks to: Elvis_Priestly, beemer 865 and Vince--you've tipped the balance so I'll post a review for inclusion on this site to admin tomorrow.

Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:12 am

OK

I'm sold I have read your reviews in the past and am looking forward to this one now. Thank You.

Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:49 am

No offence Mike, but if I waited for responses to the things I do for my web site - especially the "Sessions" pages - then I would have stopped at 1956! :lol:

Please don't stop doing your reviews - They are very much appreciated - and it seems you're not told that enough!

Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:55 am

Maybe you should look at the numbers of the people posted as fans that are interested instead of twisting it into something negative(are you having a bad day btw)..... anyhoo we need some good reviews on this website and they are appreciated if we don't get them all we have to go by are the lame reviews on elvisnews.com that are often not very fair and balanced. JMO

JEFF d
EP fan

Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:05 am

100% YES -- love your reviews.

Re: Would Anyone Like A Review Of 'Kicking And Rolling, or..

Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:24 am

Mike S wrote:.....Maybe you're not bothered?

I have some spare time this evening and was wondering how to spend it. If there was sufficient interest, I could write you a review.

If you're interested in this, just let me know.

Err, Mike, just do it... :!: :?

Until then,it's a "Straight Arrow" release: on packaging alone, they're worth picking up, people, no matter one's feelings on less-than-perfect sound. For historical reasons alone, they know how to document a Presley performance.

I put them on the same level of intense care and quality known to us from the likes of Madison, Fort Baxter Classics, etc. I look forward to getting my grubby hands on this one. :lol:

Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:51 am

Mike S wrote:Well plainly I don't, but on this occasion I thought it would be interesting to gauge the likely interest amongst members here....and indeed it proved very illuminating.

The numbers of visitors are deceiving. I for one followed the discussion on here after my little contribution, meaning that I opened this thread maybe seven times. If everyone does that, this means that for 10 contributions of people interested in possible responses to their contributions you get 7*10 = 70 clicks.

Mike S wrote:Also thanks to: Elvis_Priestly, beemer 865 and Vince--you've tipped the balance so I'll post a review for inclusion on this site to admin tomorrow.

Looking forward to reading it.

Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:16 am

If you don't want to write a review just send me the disc so I can judge for myself!!! :wink: :wink:

Kidding aside I think most would appreciate you review.

8)

Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:35 am

Keith F wrote:No offence Mike, but if I waited for responses to the things I do for my web site - especially the "Sessions" pages - then I would have stopped at 1956! :lol:

Please don't stop doing your reviews - They are very much appreciated - and it seems you're not told that enough!

No offence taken Keith, but in truth I don't normally wait for responses before I write my reviews. After all, I have been writing for this site for over a year now....but on this occasion I decided to have some fun by conducting a "poll" to gauge interest beforehand. As such, it proved an interesting exercise.

In my view there were only two answers to my simple question--to register interest or abstain. As it turned out, it seemed that most people chose to abstain which I took as an expression of indifference to this release. It certainly never crossed my mind that some might abstain because they felt it below their dignity to respond....which in the end says more about their own insecurity and defensive attitude than it does about mine.

I mean the question was simple wasn't it: Are you interested? If so, let me know--NOT If you love me let me know, which some apparently took it to mean!!

Finally, thanks to both DJC and Sam for your comments--I'm glad neither of you felt it below your dignity to respond in a positive way.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a review to write....

Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:04 pm

Looking forward to that review, Mike. Your work is always welcome. I’m actually thinking about buying this one, so I’m especially interested in hearing your thoughts.

All the best,

Per

review

Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:03 pm

mike s, your reviews are great and welcome by the majority.
id love a review on kickin and rollin and look forward to your words!

keep em coming mike i say!!

Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:58 pm

I was of course only joking with my comment earlier. Love to read reviews.

Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:18 pm

Thanks to: thekingisalive, Dazkav and Mike DK....for your change of heart.

Just to let you know that I have kept my side of the bargain and have just posted a full review to the site admin.

For all those who were considerate enough to express an interest....I hope it proves worth waiting for!

Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:25 pm

Mike, which section is your review in?

Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:59 am

Joe Car wrote:Mike, which section is your review in?

It should appear soon on the home page, under either 'Latest Import Review' or the 'Latest Review' link.

Sorry for the delay....I have just sent it to the site admin. again to be sure they have received it.

Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:51 am

You're a regular "Colonel Tom Parker," Mike... :lol:

Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:57 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:You're a regular "Colonel Tom Parker," Mike... :lol:

OK...I'd like to make the following announcement:

During this (hopefully short) interval, why not take the chance to purchase some popcorn along with a unique 'Elvis Souvenir Photo Album,' which will be available by mail order only for a short period following the end of this thread?

Thanks and be careful driving to the post office. Goodnight.
Last edited by Mike S on Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:04 pm

Hey Mike can I have one of those I hate Elvis badges? :wink:

Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:09 pm

BIGREDG wrote:Hey Mike can I have one of those I hate Elvis badges? :wink:

Certainly, but don't expect quality...ok.

Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:14 pm

Fu#k quality - let's just mass produce!!! :wink:

Colonel Sanders - I like that :lol:

Seriously, Kicking & Rolling is a nice CD, not quite in the same League as the Profile Booth Tape CD, but a worthy addition to the collection.

Great to have the somewhat bizarre spoken version of WNML in better sound (Shatneresque I think I described this as in my reviewing days!!)

Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:12 pm

Well....it's been over 24 hours since I posted this review to admin, so while we're waiting I'll address the issue of the sound quality, as I know that attracted the most interest here earlier.

So taken from my review:-

"The sound quality is indeed very good for an audience recording, though it’s not quite as good as the ‘booth recording’ included on the first Profile box. This had the advantage of being in stereo and was very likely sourced directly from the mastertape, rather than a mono early generation copy as featured here."

In fact it's only a notch or two below, though the levels do fluctuate from time to time, but not enough to spoil the overall experience. As a result, the fight scene is extremely atmospheric because the clarity allows you to really 'feel' the horror expressed by the screams from the audience. This is later given way to laughter and applause as the 'assailants' are expelled from the showroom. Naturally we are left to imagine this scene, but the crowd reaction is enthralling and certainly helps 'paint the picture.'

I hope this goes some way to answer your queries on this point. As usual, a full resume' of the show itself will be featured in my review.

Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:23 pm

Mike S wrote:Well....it's been over 24 hours since I posted this review to admin, so while we're waiting I'll address the issue of the sound quality, as I know that attracted the most interest here earlier.

So taken from my review:-

"The sound quality is indeed very good for an audience recording, though it’s not quite as good as the ‘booth recording’ included on the first Profile box. This had the advantage of being in stereo and was very likely sourced directly from the mastertape, rather than a mono early generation copy as featured here."

In fact it's only a notch or two below, though the levels do fluctuate from time to time, but not enough to spoil the overall experience. As a result, the fight scene is extremely atmospheric because the clarity allows you to really 'feel' the horror expressed by the screams from the audience. This is later given way to laughter and applause as the 'assailants' are expelled from the showroom. Naturally we are left to imagine this scene, but the crowd reaction is enthralling and certainly helps 'paint the picture.'

I hope this goes some way to answer your queries on this point. As usual, a full resume' of the show itself will be featured in my review.

I can't wait!

Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:30 am

:o Well I just recieved my copy of this superb 'straight arrow' CD :lol: 100% EXCELLENT! Sound is beautiful-loud,clear and like your in the front row! why even a couple of stereo bonus performances from 22nd Feb! sound is REALLY beautiful!!! :roll:
You can hear everything! the booklet,packaging and art-work are FIRST CLASS ..and i note that Geoff the Chef is credited as having helped out with this again! indeed the whole 'kicking & rolling' CD cooks up a REAL STORM! don't miss this release..... iv'e listened to it once so far and i KNOW i'll be having a great weekend listening/looking at this release again and AGAIN! :wink:

Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:10 pm

It's finally made it onto the site---now showing under 'Latest Review.'

Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:49 pm

Mike S wrote:It's finally made it onto the site---now showing under 'Latest Review.'

I can't see it...it still says Let it Roll for me.