All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Tue May 08, 2007 3:02 pm

Spellbinder wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:
thekingisalive wrote:
There are 34 unreleased takes here, which is amazing.

Per

Can you clarify what you wrote above thekingisalive? Is that 34 previously unreleased (officially) outtakes?

Yes - most of the material has been out on bootlegs. But not in this sound quality!!

Thanks for the response Spellbinder. This will be my next FTD purchase.

Tue May 08, 2007 10:16 pm

My guess is that the Elvis (2nd LP) will have the outtakes of Rip It Up and the Love Me Tender soundtrack. I think there are several outtakes there. It would probably be enough to fill a CD.

The Speedway & Roustabout CD's would be interesting in that the Double Features had versions of songs that went much longer than the regular versions which makes me wonder if there are bits and pieces out there. (Carny Town & Speedway - title song come to mind). There seems to be several versions of Roustabout out there and a version of Little Egypt. I don't quite understand how some outtakes manage to turn up and others are lost. There are also a few outtakes from Girls! Girls! Girls! around (A Boy Like Me A Girl Like You, Thanks to the Rolling Sea, Where Do You Come From) and I have heard a few outtakes online (not much, though). There doesn't seem to be much from Kissin Cousins (the acapella title song done from Silver Screen Stereo is all I can think of).

I checked out Keith Flynn's site & heard a genuine stereo version of the Follow That Dream master. It gives one hope that other stuff will turn up.

Sat May 19, 2007 2:01 am

I finally got "50 Millions" today and I must say that the sound really is just AWESOME :D The best that these tracks has ever sounded. Another excellent job by Kevan Budd - I really hope that we will get the rest of the 50's songs mastered the same way (and the rest of the classic album releases :D )

Sat May 19, 2007 5:08 pm

Mike DK wrote:I finally got "50 Millions" today and I must say that the sound really is just AWESOME :D The best that these tracks has ever sounded. Another excellent job by Kevan Budd - I really hope that we will get the rest of the 50's songs mastered the same way (and the rest of the classic album releases :D )

Wouldn't it be nice if Kevan would have a shot at mixing and mastering some of Elvis' live multi-track tapes?

Sat May 19, 2007 7:27 pm

That would be awesome !

Sat May 19, 2007 11:02 pm

You guys do not know mixing from mastering if it hit you in the head1 we have no permanent great mixers right now. Plenty of masterers but no mixers as in pro mixing. Maybe we can get Dick Baxter out of retirement or something. Bendeth is out of FTD $$$$leage so .....but no Elvis multi track tape should go to a student no matter how skillful he/she is. BTW ..feel sorry for whoever does it... will be eaten alive by the same people that hail!

Sun May 20, 2007 1:44 am

Juan Luis wrote:You guys do not know mixing from mastering if it hit you in the head

This does seem to crop up from time to time which shouldn't be a big problem with most of the material to come on the classic album series assuming the masters will all be the original mixes. The most problematic period would seem to be 1969-1977 and it does open the question as to who is working on restoring these releases bearing in mind it has been nearly 2 years since the Today FTD was released with questionable results. Live On Stage In Memphis is a good mix in my opinion only hindered by the mastering process.

Now, I've always been under the impression that the mixing engineer and the mastering engineer should never be the same person. Indeed, would improved results have been obtained if the Live On Stage In Memphis remix had been mastered elsewhere - I think so in my opinion.

Elvis' 50s material and 60s Nashville material is in good hands, hopefully the later period material will be given the same respect and dedication as the earlier material which doesn't appear to have been forthcoming as of yet from the 2 examples we've heard so far.

Sun May 20, 2007 1:52 am

Matthew wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:You guys do not know mixing from mastering if it hit you in the head

shouldn't be a big problem with most of the material to come on the classic album series assuming the masters will all be the original mixes.
Yes.

Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:07 pm

Outstanding !

An believe it or not this is like My 5th
copy of this material in different forms....

Which I'm sure is the case for many of you....

So, far this version is the best yet in my opinion...

Will it, could it get any better than this?

Personally I doubt it..... :D

PEP 8)

Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:02 pm

It would be simple to wrap up the missing 50's tracks and keep the original classic intention.

The Love Me Tender, Jailhouse Rock and King Creole tracks could all appear on the one double CD. Using the King Creole name and cover artwork.

This would leave Elvis Christmas album, this might be combined with TRHe Wonderful World Of Christmas.

I don't believe that a "classic" album could be one which first appeared after his death....like Jailhouse Rock

Changed thoughts on the Christmas album...combine this with ELVIS.
Last edited by KiwiAlan on Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:33 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:It would be simple to wrap up the missing 50's tracks and keep the original classic intention.

The Love Me Tender, Jailhouse Rock and King Creole tracks could all appear on the one double CD. Using the King Creole name and cover artwork.

This would leave Elvis Christmas album, this might be combined with TRHe Wonderful World Of Christmas.

I don't believe that a "classic" album could be one which first appeared after his death....like Jailhouse Rock.

I think FTD can get away with releasing 'Love Me Tender' and 'Jailhouse Rock' in the Classic Albums series - They were released as "Extended Play" Albums after all, weren't they?

Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:54 pm

Keith F wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:It would be simple to wrap up the missing 50's tracks and keep the original classic intention.

I don't believe that a "classic" album could be one which first appeared after his death....like Jailhouse Rock.

I think FTD can get away with releasing 'Love Me Tender' and 'Jailhouse Rock' in the Classic Albums series - They were released as "Extended Play" Albums after all, weren't they?

I would not consider a four track extended play as an album! It's a 45rpm single with extended tracks from 2 to 4.

To call a 33rpm album with 12 tracks EXTENDED to 4 tracks is a nonsense. It would be more correct to say UNEXTENEDED CUT DOWN album :D

No matter what spin RCA put out.

However I take your point..I was seeking a way to get these tracks out there with the less demand possible on our bank balances! I doubt whether there is enough outtake material to justify a double Cd for each if we are to follow Elvis Presley, Loving You, Gold Records 2, Elvis Is Back His hand In Mine and Something for Everybody....all doubles.

What ever the format...bring them on!

Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:07 am

I think there would definitely be enough material to fill a double "Jailhouse Rock" set on FTD - Especially now since the Binaural session tapes have been found.

Perhaps 'Love Me Tender' and 'King Creole' could be released together on another double CD set, maybe using the stereo tapes for "Love Me Tender" and using Kevans magic to clean up the "King Creole" acetates (unless tapes have now been found!).

Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:00 am

Keith F wrote:I think FTD can get away with releasing 'Love Me Tender' and 'Jailhouse Rock' in the Classic Albums series - They were released as "Extended Play" Albums after all, weren't they?

Keith - you're quite right. EPs were commonly described as albums.

Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:09 am

The "Love Me Tender" recordings I suspect will appear on the "Elvis - Special Edition" FTD at some point thus wrapping up all 1956 recordings over 2 FTD classic albums, the other of course being "Elvis Presley - Special Edition".

Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:11 am

Jailhouse Rock should diffently be released on its on in the classic album series. I also think that there is enough material for this to happen.

Elvis' Christmas Album could also consists of "Don't" and "My Wish Came True" (from the same session) sort of like how Surrender was put on FTD's His Hand In Mine. And all available outtakes of the four gospel songs - both in mono and binarual.

The "Elvis" album could include all outtakes of Rip It Up, the alternate Old Shep and all the live TV performances from the 50's (I'm sure Kevan Budd can make these sound great).

:D

Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:11 am

Mike DK wrote:Jailhouse Rock should diffently be released on its on in the classic album series. I also think that there is enough material for this to happen.

Elvis' Christmas Album could also consists of "Don't" and "My Wish Came True" (from the same session) sort of like how Surrender was put on FTD's His Hand In Mine. And all available outtakes of the four gospel songs - both in mono and binarual.

The "Elvis" album could include all outtakes of Rip It Up, the alternate Old Shep and all the live TV performances from the 50's (I'm sure Kevan Budd can make these sound great).

:D

We already have Don't and I beg Of You on the 50,000,000 set.

Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:57 am

KiwiAlan wrote:I would not consider a four track extended play as an album!
It's a 45rpm single with extended tracks from 2 to 4.
To call a 33rpm album with 12 tracks EXTENDED to 4 tracks is a nonsense.
It would be more correct to say UNEXTENEDED CUT DOWN album :D

You're right, Alan.

They are 'extended play' when compared to singles.

Or they are a kind of 'mini album' when compared to the 12-track 33 rpm ones.

But they ended up being called 'extended play albums', which is a misnomer.

Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:16 pm

KiwiAlan;

I know, but we also already had One Night and I Beg of You on the FTD Loving You set. (They are also on 50 Millions). The idea being that we would have the complete Christmas session including the non-christmas songs.

Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:15 pm

I see no point in releasing Elvis (second album), Elvis' Christmas Album or King Creole in the Classic Album Series unless they offer a bulk of new material each. Jailhouse Rock is certainly a possibility though. If there's not enough material to fill most of two discs then combine it with Love Me Tender as that wouldn't be a new combination. One 50's release I would like to see in the series is an extended Stereo '57 (aka Essential Elvis, Volume 2).

BTW, I don't think "extended play album" is a misnomer. The name doesn't suggest that it's longer than a "long play album".

Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:49 pm

Torben wrote: One 50's release I would like to see in the series is an extended Stereo '57 (aka Essential Elvis, Volume 2).

Torben -
Doesn't the Loving You FTD cover the Essential Elvis Vol. 2 material?

Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:01 am

No, Pete, it doesn't. The Loving You FTD only has some of the masters recorded during the January 1957 Radio Recorders sessions on it and these are only mono.

Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:28 am

I think we are worrying too much about outtakes.

IMHO the point is too have ALL the 50's master takes released in glorious Kevan Budd Sound.

Whether outtakes exist or not I would rather the master tracks are out there.

Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:39 am

Alan

The masters can still be released on the main label.

The first three albums have actually already been issued in Kevan Budd quality on that label.

An FTD release with only masters doesn't make much sense.

Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:47 am

Torben wrote:Alan

The masters can still be released on the main label.

The first three albums have actually already been issued in Kevan Budd quality on that label.

An FTD release with only masters doesn't make much sense.

Well FTD would release them in the 7inch packaging we look forward to. There are some outtakes in each case.

However I would rather have a classic FTD of masters only rather than a main label release in El Cheapo covers like 50,000,000 for example.