All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Review of Tupelo's Own Elvis Presley!

Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:01 am

Hi everyone

Just wanted to let you know EIN has published its review of the latest Pirzada set. And it lives up to expectations!!

Read our review:http://www.elvisinfonet.com/book_dvd_review_tupelo.html

Nigel

Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:38 am

Great! Thanks Nigel. Glad you didn't give away too many details. This set should be with us mere commoners early next week. :D

EIN

Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:44 am

They must be selling it then!!!? It doesn't say wether the audio sound has been improved from the gold box set or what the quality of the footage is like, nor wether the book is softback or hardback. I would also like to know if the concert footage is presented in it's correct running order???

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:59 pm

when will it be released?

Re: EIN

Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:03 pm

TONY wrote:It doesn't say wether the audio sound has been improved from the gold box set or what the quality of the footage is like, nor wether the book is softback or hardback. I would also like to know if the concert footage is presented in it's correct running order???

Indeed. :?

Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:05 pm

Susan wrote:when will it be released?

This coming Monday (June 11th) was the date given.

Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:51 pm

Have ordered this !

Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:50 am

ThePurpleGang

Actually EIN will have a more detailed review as soon as we get time. I wanted to have a summary review on the site asap, hence the capsule review.

The more I watch the DVD the more I appreciate just how important it is!

Nigel
http://www.elvisinfonet.com

Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:43 am

nigel wrote:ThePurpleGang

Actually EIN will have a more detailed review as soon as we get time. I wanted to have a summary review on the site asap, hence the capsule review.

The more I watch the DVD the more I appreciate just how important it is!

Nigel
http://www.elvisinfonet.com

I too have been sent an advance copy of this set - and to answer some questions:

The sound seems to be better than on "A Golden Celebration" but this is probably just better mastering as opposed to when it was mastered in the 80's for that box set.

It's a soft cover book - the same as the first two MRS volumes, although the actual digipack cover doesn't seem to be of the same (very high) quality card used on the previous two volumes.

The footage is shown in the correct sequence it was recorded (Obviously!) and it is shown at the correct speed. Some bits of this footage has been seen before (on various DVD's) but it was only in parts, and it was took from the "Newsreel" footage. This is the original uncut "Raw" footage filmed by FOX and never been shown in it's entirity before now!

I personally don't think there is anything on this release that will dissapoint the real fans - but there are obviously going to be a few who will knock this release.

It's only human nature to complain about things - and after all there's no pleasing Elvis fans! We are the worst fans in the world for complaining! :wink:

This is what it is - a virtually complete Elvis concert from the 50's on video. Who would ever have thought this would see light of day. "MRS" went directly to FOX for this to see what was actually filmed this day - and this is the results.

No-one ever approaching FOX until now to see what they actually had filmed! This does make me wonder if the people who filmed "Pied Piper Of Cleveland" have ever been approached directly! I know it seems like a silly question - but have they? Especially when realising the "MRS" people went directly to FOX and got the complete footage - something that had never been thought of before!

"MRS" is quickly becoming known to be "Pulling rabbits from hats" so to speak with regard to what they are releasing re unreleased material - maybe their next release will be the "Pied Piper" - Who knows!

All in all - an essential release!

Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:19 am

It worries me now that they say only one song is complete!

JEFF d
EP fan

Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:19 pm

Hi Gang,
This is sensational, what a treat for 2007

I can't believe that the naysayers and other supposedly knowledgable members of this board were out giving this AMAZING book/DVD a slagging off before it was even released.
It's pathetic - and only reminds me of the last MRS 'The Rise Of Elvis Presley' package which the same people were bad-mouthing - yet they didn't even own a copy!

When you look at the list of people involved in this Tupelo package it can hardly need a review.
These are just a few of them...

Keith Flynn, Scotty Moore, D J Fontana, Joseph A Tunzi, Buddy Glss, Ross How, Steve Barille, John Heath, Judy Hopper, Jamie Aaron Kelly, (deleted - see guidelines #9) (deleted - see guidelines #9), Ger Rijff, Jimmy Velvet, Terry Wood, Scotty Moore, D J Fontana and Fox Movietonews Inc, Authors Pat Broeske & Elaine Dundy.
Roy Turner also dedicates the book to Elaine Dundy.
The following Elvis childhood friends and acquaintances were also involved. James Ausburn, David Baker, Sam Bell, Jimmy Gault, Shirley Jones Gillentine, Hugh Jeffreys, Bitsey Savery, Rev. Frank Smith

The book captures the story and the history of Elvis in Tupelo with fantastic unseen photos and nice writing from Roy Turner.
I mean a few weeks ago were people here really complaining about a COLOURISED PHOTO!!!!!!????
Good grief - get a life!
Here is UNSEEN LIVE CONCERT FOOTAGE and IT ROCKS!
And, in fact the colourised front cover is SUPERBLY done.

JEFF d

No, that is rubbish, nearly all the songs are complete.

'I Was The One' is a dream.
How different to see 'Don't Be Cruel' & 'Heartbreak Hotel' etc being played to a hometown crowd of 8,000 instead of a TV studio audience.
Seeing Elvis in action also adds the knowledge to open-up your own experience of listening to the poorly recorded concerts that we have always known. Elvis' side-comments, his off-the-cuff microphone technique while he moves around all make sense now.

My god, even a cameraman walks up behind Elvis and asks him a question while he is singing!!!
The full clip of Judy Hopper coming on stage while Elvis is singing is great too.

So, 'I Got A Woman' might not be complete but the small amount of footage that J Pirzada & MRS have found is SENSATIONAL!!!
Elvis is rocking in the hot sun. I had to replay it several times immediately.

The new interviews with Anita Wood, as well as Judy Hopper, are a fabulous touch as well - and of course all the Tupelo Welcome Home Parade footage works excellently as a build up to the main attraction.

Buy it - and make sure you get the book along with it - you will NOT be disappointed.

My ONE BIG complaint - only 13 minutes . . . . it breaks my heart. . . why, oh why, didn't they film the whole show!!!

Elvis fans have to give big, big thanks to Joseph Pirzada for this great release.

Cheers
Piers

Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:26 pm

Thanks Nigel, Keith, Piers for all your informed comments. :smt038

Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:47 pm

PiersEIN wrote:
JEFF d

No, that is rubbish, nearly all the songs are complete.

Cheers
Piers

Great! Thanks, I can't wait to get this!

JEFF d
EP fan

Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:44 pm

Is this a mass-market release or an import?

Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:51 pm

Pete Dube wrote:Is this a mass-market release or an import?

It is legal release but only available outside US. You can order it from amazon.co.uk, play.com and hmv.co.uk

INTERVIEW

Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:30 pm

How long is the audio interview with Elvis please?

Re: INTERVIEW

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:56 pm

TONY wrote:How long is the audio interview with Elvis please?

The 1957 interview with Elvis and Anita Wood is just over seven minutes long - Elvis only is just over four minutes long.

Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:46 am

PiersEIN wrote:The full clip of Judy Hopper coming on stage while Elvis is singing is great too.

I'll bet it is -- at least until customs confiscates the disc.

Heh-heh.

---

As noted in more succinct fashion on several other topics -- the new DVD is an essential purchase for the serious Presley fan.

Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:19 am

I'll bet it is -- at least until customs confiscates the disc.
Heh-heh.

oops - perhaps my phrasing could have been better!!!! :smt043

Cheers
Piers

Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:49 pm

Does the book contain pictures of Elvis

during the Tupelo performances

or

during his childhood in Tupelo

or

both?

Piers wrote:oops - perhaps my phrasing could have been better!!!!

Maybe: "The full clip of Judy Hopper hopping on stage while Elvis is singing is great too."

Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:21 pm

John from Woodley wrote:
PiersEIN wrote:
The full clip of Judy Hopper coming on stage while Elvis is singing is great too.

Cheers
Piers

Was this anything to do with Colin?
Colin, did you?

Nah, she was underage.

I'm no paedophile.......

Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:24 pm

ColinB wrote:
John from Woodley wrote:
PiersEIN wrote:

Cheers
Piers

Was this anything to do with Colin?
Colin, did you?

Nah, she was underage.

I'm no paedophile.......

Colin, if you don't me asking, how old were you in 1956?

Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Joe Car wrote:Colin, if you don't me asking, how old were you in 1956?

Well, 13, I was 14 in the September............

Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:31 pm

ColinB wrote:
Joe Car wrote:Colin, if you don't me asking, how old were you in 1956?

Well, 13, I was 14 in the September............

Great stuff Colin!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:04 am

Will this be available in stores like Best Buy or local video stores?
How much will it cost for us dollars? Sheila