All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:14 am

Daryl wrote:I am curious if the rhythm tracks for "Good, Bad But Beautiful", "Color My Rainbow", "The Wonders You Perform" and the original backing track for "Sweet Angeline" will be included on the upcoming "Raised On Rock" FTD.

When the disc is released, it is unlikely these will appear.

Daryl wrote:What gives with the title "I Sing All Kinds"? Surely that isn't the final title. Why does FTD tend to overthink these titles when the obvious choice would simply be "The Nashville Marathon Volume 2"? Or simply "Nashville Revisited - 1971".

It's a direct quote from a conversation Elvis had with Marion Keisker in July 1953 at SUN Studios, when she asked what kind of music he performed.

It is more than applicable to the variety of material Elvis tackled at the March to June 1971 sessions in Nashville. It's not "overthinking," it's called being creative -- a concept that must be foreign to you.

On a subliminal level, the title choice may also imply Ernst is still on track with the much-anticipated SUN FTD project.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:29 am

Hello,

Doc. Carpenter wrote:

It is more than applicable to the variety of material Elvis tackled at the March to June 1971 sessions in Nashville. It's not "overthinking," it's called being creative -- a concept that must be foreign to you.

I hardly call it creative. It falls into the same category that so many previous FTD name titles have fallen into. For example:

Big Boss Man
Polk Salad Annie
Let Yourself Go
An American Trilogy
Unchained Melody
Too Much Monkey Business
All Shook Up
So High
The Impossible Dream
Fame And Fortune
It's Midnight
Long, Lonely Highway
Dixieland Rock(s)

And it doesn't just stop with song titles:

I Found My Thrill

Nor does it stop with songs that Elvis recorded

Southern Nights

I would hardly call naming the CD after a songtitle or a line in a song creative or imaginative.

Daryl

Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:39 am

Daryl wrote:I hardly call it creative. It falls into the same category that so many previous FTD name titles have fallen into. I would hardly call naming the CD after a songtitle or a line in a song creative or imaginative.

Daryl wrote:the obvious choice would simply be "The Nashville Marathon Volume 2"? Or simply "Nashville Revisited - 1971".

Indeed, you lead by example. Well done.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:54 am

And indeed you follow like a "Puppet On A String" to borrow from FTD's line of thinking. Congratulations

Daryl

Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:38 am

Daryl wrote:And indeed you follow like a "Puppet On A String" to borrow from FTD's line of thinking. Congratulations

Daryl

fella I wouldn't lose too much sleep over a collectors label cd title! I could care less what it is called. Most sane people I do believe feel the same.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:51 am

Kylan wrote:
Daryl wrote:And indeed you follow like a "Puppet On A String" to borrow from FTD's line of thinking. Congratulations

Daryl

fella I wouldn't lose too much sleep over a collectors label cd title! I could care less what it is called. Most sane people I do believe feel the same.

Wise words. This CD has been a long time coming, complaints about the title are irrelavant. The cover is also one of the best.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:40 am

Hello,

Kylan wrote:

If titles don't matter, why not just number the FTDs? The sheer lack of thought into the consideration of an album/CD's title shows two things: a lack of respect for the artist and a rush to get the product out in spite of any quality control safeguards in place.

Daryl

Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:27 am

Daryl wrote:... why not just number the FTDs?

If that makes things easier for you, just go to your local stationary store, buy a Sharpie and go to town.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:53 am

Daryl wrote:If titles don't matter, why not just number the FTDs?

Luckily for you each FTD does have a number.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:56 am

Daryl wrote:
The sheer lack of thought into the consideration of an album/CD's title shows two things: a lack of respect for the artist and a rush to get the product out in spite of any quality control safeguards in place.

Is that all the enthusiasm you can muster for this release and the FTD label?

Seems to me that this shows two things; a singular lack of appreciation for the artist and a rush to promote your blinkered views before any sensible thought has taken place.
Last edited by Mike S on Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:58 am

The FTD titles aren't as important as the main label ones.

It's not as if they've got to catch the eye of the public.

We all know in advance what the contents are & buy [or not] accordingly.

As someone mentioned, they could just as well give them numbers...

Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:09 am

FTD titles have a strong bootleg pedigree. That's kool!

Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:27 am

so we finally have another soundtrack, with the extra of the original stereo mixes and lots of alternate takes of a session uncovered by the bootleggers; a 70's album, a controversial one, but an album that for sure will find its place in our collections; and a regular ftd filled with jewels in the sense of performances and rarities (first time we hear alternate takes of 8 songs and all in one cd!).

And what are we doing? bitching abut the title....

That said, in a session where elvis sang folk, xmas, gospel, pop, country, blues, even rock and roll (johnny b good), the title I sing all kinds makes quite a sense, as Doc already pointed.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:34 am

True words Frus. Nobody should be bitching about this batch of releases.

Call 'em anything you like, market them in a brown paper bag, just bring them on!!!! :D

To have an outtake of a song for the first time is very exciting to me!! Especially a '70s song :D

To get 8 is off the excitement scale!!!!! :smt026 :smt041

Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:54 am

and let's wait....maybe the track listing of ROR will have some surprises...who knows if an alternate of Raised on Rock has finally been located....

Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:18 am

frus75 wrote:and let's wait....maybe the track listing of ROR will have some surprises...who knows if an alternate of Raised on Rock has finally been located....

I am drooling with anticipation waiting for the ROR track listing :lol:

Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:27 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

If that makes things easier for you, just go to your local stationary store, buy a Sharpie and go to town.

I sure hope I can get the coffee off of my computer screen now.

Thanks a lot, Doc!

Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:29 am

^^I'm sweating here too. :D

ROR alternate would be awesome, and how about those vocal overdubs from Palm Springs sep 73? We all know they did more singing than just those 2 or 3 songs, maybe a second or two was captured on tape between takes...who knows, one can only hope.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:08 pm

Rob wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

I sure hope I can get the coffee off of my computer screen now.

Thanks a lot, Doc!

Laughter is the best medicine.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:22 pm

I'm sure we'll get Pot Luck eventually anyway - we all know the complete session tapes are available.

ROR is a poorer album but a much more interesting release. Hope it's a bit more innovative than 'Today,' which filled space with alternate mixes rather than outtakes.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:55 pm

I hope the undubbed masters are included on ROR.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:31 pm

londonflash wrote:
I hope the undubbed masters are included on ROR.

The undubbed masters are already out on various bootlegs (Pure Diamonds Vol.3.-Gospel Greats And Stax / By Special Request!-From Louisiana To Tennessee).
I would be more happy with ALL the existing (released and unreleased) outtakes in unedited form. Some of the outtakes were edited on Essential Elvis Vol. 5.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:14 pm

Hello,

Mike S wrote:

Seems to me that this shows two things; a singular lack of appreciation for the artist and a rush to promote your blinkered views before any sensible thought has taken place.

Sensible thought...look who's calling the kettle black. There was no sensible thought put into the "I Sing All Kinds" title. But if you want more sensible thought, I'll give it to you.

Where's the Temple Riser duet with Elvis on "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face"?

Where's the Ginger Holladay duet with Elvis on "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face"?

Where's the unedited "Lady Madonna"?

Where's the unedited "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right"?

OR Where's the alternate take of "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right"?

Are the rhythm tracks for "Color My Rainbow", "The Wonders You Perform" "Good, Bad But Beautiful" and "Sweet Angeline" going to be included on the "Raised On Rock" FTD?

Is the rhythm track for "Leave My Woman Alone" going to be included on the "Easy Come, Easy Go" FTD?

ColinB wrote:

The FTD titles aren't as important as the main label ones.

It's not as if they've got to catch the eye of the public.

We all know in advance what the contents are & buy [or not] accordingly.

As someone mentioned, they could just as well give them numbers...

Why should the titles on FTDs not meet the quality control standards of a main label release?

Look no further than Pirzada's "Tupelo's Own Elvis Presley." Sure, he could have called it "Tupelo, Mississippi Flash" to borrow from the Jerry Reed song, but that would have been the easy way out. Again, it seems to me that FTD is constantly trying to take the easy way out on coming up with these titles.

Doc. Carpenter wrote:

To only bring humor into this discussion only goes to show that you don't have a sensible thought to say on this topic.

Daryl

Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:25 pm

I vote we all stop buying FTDs until they promise to give them better titles.

That'll teach 'em.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:39 pm

Daryl wrote:Doc. Carpenter wrote:

To only bring humor into this discussion only goes to show that you don't have a sensible thought to say on this topic.

Daryl

If helps to have some fun a long the way! :)