All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Tue May 29, 2007 7:51 am

In general, we'd all probably benefit (or at least our loved ones :lol: )from not obsessively trying to obtain "every scrap" of audio and video of the man, but I'd hardly call this set (if eyes are to be believed) a mere scrap.

This seems to be essential set for any self-respecting Elvis fan, at least anyone who spends any time on this fanactical board we know as FECC. :lol:

Tue May 29, 2007 8:11 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:When I showed up in Tupelo in 1993 (making a sidetrip en route to Joplin, Missouri from Atlanta for work reasons), I came across the construction workers who were doing the demolition of these very stands / fairgrounds ...

You must have your dates mixed up, as I jumped the fence of the closed Fairgrounds in June 1995 nad wandered all the way in to the ballpark area where the three benefit shows were held in 1956-57. Everything was intact, if overrun by weeds and debris.

Tue May 29, 2007 8:40 am

The date is correct, DJC, but what I was told was being knocked over (or what I thought I was being told)apparently was incorrect, thank goodness!
I was in a bit of rush as the trek was on my then-employer's dime. :lol:

I'm glad to hear they were intact two year later. Are they still there? That's great that you sought them out as well. Did you take any photos?

These and other somewhat-forgotten parts of the Elvis legacy are always in danger of disappearing quietly...

Tupelo in general is too often ignored by Elvis fans, let alone other sites around Memphis besides Graceland and the Sun Studios...

Tue May 29, 2007 11:58 am

:lol: Well i made the right decision and i'm getting this....i havn't got 'live in L.A.'-yet but i DO have priorities! :roll: :wink:

Tue May 29, 2007 12:42 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:

Image

Further, here's a scan from DJ Fontana's book I noticed the other day that had a cropped version of the original photo.


It's a shame that DJ's book used the photo with him cropped out of it when, as we can now see, he was there in that very shot!

Tue May 29, 2007 1:19 pm

The Purple Gang wrote:It's a shame that DJ's book used the photo with him cropped out of it when, as we can now see, he was there in that very shot!


Maybe DJ came over all modest and had himself cropped off the photo !

But I don't think so !

Tue May 29, 2007 1:55 pm

PEP wrote:By the way I noticed a little debate whether or not this
was a colorized photo or not....
Image
I noticed this small flaw, which proves it has been colorized
Notice the the guitar bridge it is colored RED as well... :shock:

PEP 8)


It looks like the guitar bridge is red, but if you have a look at a bigger scan you'll notice that it isn't red but brown, like the guitar.
Still it IS a colorized photo 8)

Tue May 29, 2007 2:22 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:I would buy it if it was at a sensible price for what it promises, compared to the Ed Sulliven set.

I would rather invest in the upcoming Sun project.

I dare say my life will continue without every possible scrap of video that exists.

But to those who buy it...may you enjoy it.


Scrap of video? This will feature a bit more than that wouldn't you say? The DVD will contain the ONLY complete songs with audio and video that we have from an Elvis concert in the 50s. Yes we have tv performances, but never before live concert performances. With the ultra rare content and the 200 page book, I'd say the asking price is very reasonable.

I too look forward to the Sun project and will undoubtedly buy it, but from what is hinted I'm not expecting any discoveries as significant as the Tupelo footage to be included.

Tue May 29, 2007 2:43 pm

awsome cheers keith i have just wet myself i have not done that since i was 21 lol. this is the ultimate elvis for me a concert from the 50s it just does not get any better. :D :D :D

Tue May 29, 2007 2:58 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:as I jumped the fence of the closed Fairgrounds in June 1995 and wandered all the way in to the ballpark area where the three benefit shows were held in 1956-57. Everything was intact, if overrun by weeds and debris.

Hey man, that is something I would of done :lol:!

Tue May 29, 2007 3:08 pm

Will I get trown off this forum when I say that I am not excited for this release at all ? :lol: In the first place I don't believe it's discovered just lately...it's 2007...30 years after...remember ? In the second place I would rather be very happy with a DVD from On Tour Special Edition...

Tue May 29, 2007 3:15 pm

Ton Bruins wrote:Will I get trown off this forum when I say that I am not excited for this release at all ? :lol:


No, but you do get thrown off this thread! :smt079

Tue May 29, 2007 4:55 pm

The Purple Gang wrote:
It's a shame that DJ's book used the photo with him cropped out of it when, as we can now see, he was there in that very shot!


I don't doubt they used the photo they had. They probably never saw the full frame version. The scan itself from the book was a bit more faded, I boosted it a little.

Tue May 29, 2007 4:57 pm

Ton Bruins wrote:Will I get trown off this forum when I say that I am not excited for this release at all ? :lol: In the first place I don't believe it's discovered just lately...it's 2007...30 years after...remember ? In the second place I would rather be very happy with a DVD from On Tour Special Edition...


Ok. Who will throw the first stone? :lol:

Tue May 29, 2007 5:43 pm

rocknroller wrote:i have just wet myself


The last time I wet myself was just over 2 years ago.

Tue May 29, 2007 6:14 pm

Colin wrote:
Maybe DJ came over all modest and had himself cropped off the photo !

***********************************
I think he was actually cropping his nose out of the picture, which is a very high percentage of his profile, which is not very flattering.

Tue May 29, 2007 6:18 pm

ekenee wrote:I think he was actually cropping his nose out of the picture, which is a very high percentage of his profile, which is not very flattering.


The colorised photo doesn't look like a conventional frame size either. It was probably cropped to conform to the size of the cover. Maybe the book has the full frame version.

Tue May 29, 2007 6:30 pm

thefunkyangel wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:as I jumped the fence of the closed Fairgrounds in June 1995 and wandered all the way in to the ballpark area where the three benefit shows were held in 1956-57. Everything was intact, if overrun by weeds and debris.


Hey man, that is something I would of done :lol:!


That doesn't surprise anyone on this board, funky. Part of being an Elvis "superfan" involves fence-jumping, venue-raiding, etc. It's all good for the cause.

By the way, if anyone has pictures of the fairgrounds shortly before the demolition, I would LOVE to see them...

Tue May 29, 2007 7:40 pm

Spellbinder wrote:
rocknroller wrote:i have just wet myself


The last time I wet myself was just over 2 years ago.



well im in good company then lol.

Tue May 29, 2007 8:20 pm

Great work Keith - Looks awesome - a dream release!

Tue May 29, 2007 8:34 pm

rocknroller wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:
rocknroller wrote:i have just wet myself


The last time I wet myself was just over 2 years ago.



well im in good company then lol.


I don't know about that. You can find better company than I.

Tue May 29, 2007 9:30 pm

Spellbinder wrote:
rocknroller wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:
rocknroller wrote:i have just wet myself


The last time I wet myself was just over 2 years ago.



well im in good company then lol.


I don't know about that.
You can find better company than I.


Well, don't all look at me.....................

Tue May 29, 2007 10:23 pm

ColinB wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:
rocknroller wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:
rocknroller wrote:i have just wet myself


The last time I wet myself was just over 2 years ago.



well im in good company then lol.


I don't know about that.
You can find better company than I.


Well, don't all look at me.....................



ah so you do wet yourself Colin lol

Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:35 am

:lol: :shock: :lol: :shock:

O.S.

Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:59 am

Keith F wrote:I've been assured that the footage used on "Tupelo's Own" actually has original audio on it.

R.R.D wrote:OK very interesting thanks Keith

PEP wrote:Wow, Keith excellent news.....even better....I was a little worried there ...

KiwiAlan wrote:The film quality loks good and I would hope they are complete songs. Not too taken with the overdubbed sound though.

ColinB wrote:I thought Keith already explained the footage has original sound on it - not overdubbed.

Having finally reviewed the Tupelo's Own DVD, several thoughts spring to mind.

First of all, whoever "assured" Keith is mistaken -- every single bit of audio on the DVD from September 26, 1956 was first released on Elvis - A Golden Celebration (RCA, 1984 -> CD reissue, 1998).

It is likely "Movietone" never captured any audio from that day -- the original October 1956 featurette is included on the DVD, and not a single sound from the actual show is heard.

But the footage -- overlay issues or not -- is a blast, a treasure for any fan of Elvis at his best.